• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs go the PlayStation route

SNG32

And drop their exclusives on PC. They could do it a year later or two depending on the exclusive. Especially since emulation you can pretty much play Nintendo games day and date or sometimes a week before it actually releases.

Also we know the hardware will be inferior to ps5 and series x. With a PC release atleast people who want to have the bells and whistles graphically and performance wise have that option.

Neff

Sony needed to do it because they're struggling to justify ballooning budgets for the return they make.

Nintendo games are relatively cheap to make and sell crazy fucking volumes. They have the luxury of not being desperate, in addition to ensuring that when you buy Nintendo games, you can only do so by opting into their hardware. No reason for them to reduce that incentive.

Gudji

jurassic park GIF by IFC

Mowcno

They don't need to do it, but they'd probably make a fortune. Even if they didn't release on PC until 10 years after they did on console. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess... They'd sell on Steam.

But Nintendo don't need to do anything. Now if they somehow screw up their next console massively then maybe, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sonpc players can pirate Mario which they already do?
PlayStation should go Nintendo route. Full exclusivity.

I can guarantee that at some point Nintendo crunched some numbers and did some projections. They apparently showed that it is not worth doing something like this at this point in time.
Of course it’s not worth it. Look how it drowned Xbox.
And it’s not worth to diminish your growing catalogue of exclusives for quick buck. These older games could push someone leaning to buy the console

Mr Hyde

Not gonna happen. Nintendo has always designed their games around their own hardware. If you want to play Nintendo games, you gotta buy the hardware. Also, piracy is rampant on PC and we all know what Nintendo thinks of piracy.

Hudo

Sonpc players can pirate Mario which they already do?
PlayStation should go Nintendo route. Full exclusivity.

Of course it’s not worth it. Look how it drowned Xbox.
And it’s not worth to diminish your growing catalogue of exclusives for quick buck. These older games could push someone leaning to buy the console
I dunno, man. I think Xbox are not as married to dedicated hardware as Nintendo are. Xbox have stated multiple times that they view themselves as a digital service. And Microsoft have a long history of PC gaming. One of my favorite games of all times are Microsoft-published PC games; E.g Age of Empires II, Freelancer and Rise of Nations.

Reactions: Isa

tusharngf

Nintendo runs like a old kids toy company. They will not the change way of doing things even if it means bankruptcy.

Chastten

Banned
So, just to clarify... why exactly does Nintendo need to do that? For what reason specifically?

I don't think they're struggling financially and I don't think they're even remotely interested in joining the race for more power and graphically demanding games again.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I have a good PC but I always want a Nintendo console. IMO their consoles are trying to do things different every time and that's why it's interesting to play their (well made) exclusives on it's own special hardware.

tr1p1ex

the pirates are going to pay $70 for TotK a year later because they run it day and date via emulation for free?

Last edited:

Woopah

They don't need to do it, but they'd probably make a fortune. Even if they didn't release on PC until 10 years after they did on console. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess... They'd sell on Steam.

But Nintendo don't need to do anything. Now if they somehow screw up their next console massively then maybe, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Even waiting 10 years, that would still reduce the value thise games would have as remasters or subscription content.

BlueAlpaca

Your only hope for this is for Microsoft to buy Nintendo and release their games on PC before running Nintendo into the ground.

Not sure. With all the theme parks, movies, merchandise etc. I think the “life raft” is just changing. They’re turning more and more into an entertainment company rather than purely a gaming company. They’ll have plenty to fall back on I think.
Actually yea you are totally right, they have way more non-gaming stuff going on now - probably was part of the reason they went in to all that other stuff.

SNG32

I am glad no one at Nintendo listens to anyone on the internet and doesn't even know what the internet is for that matter.

I feel like OP is single digits years old.
I mean they’re already getting their games pirated on pc why not makes some money on the platform.

Crayon

hahahano.gif

Piracy is a service problem and they could reduce + make some money by releasing on pc. They'd rather deal with that though. What they are doing is absolutely killing it so it a little presumptuous, to put it lightly, talking about what they should be doing different.

K' Dash

Do they have the need to do that? they have the most recognizable roster of mascots in the world, the brand awareness will only increase with the movies, which will probably be the only kids movies worth watching in the next few years.

Consoles and games will fly off the shelves.

Impotaku

I thought pc was the master race why the port begging?

Nintendo doesn't need to do shit they exist quite happily without anyone else.

Drell

Why should they? They have a confortable second place with their own way. Maybe the day when it doesn't work anymore, they could try to release their games for PC but for now there is no reason for them to do this.

Officially releasing on PC would be a smart choice to tap into all the waiting profit there vs watching the games go there anyways having to constantly fight the piracy battle. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Isa

On both accounts I get it. Some of us would rather not risk viruses and setting up emulation to be able to run games we want to play and are willing to throw some money for the ability to do so. On the other hand I love that Nintendo does their own thing with their unique hardware and ideas. My Switch is my second most played system I own and I feel my purchases have value now and in the future.

Can't wait to see what they have planned next.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Whenever people say this the thing I like to point out is that Mario Kart 8 sold like 9 million copies… on the Wii U. A failed system that sold like 15 million. That was about what Horizon Zero Dawn sold by 2019, on a successful system.

Nintendo isn’t Sony. They’re not a big fish in a big pond. They’re the big fish and they’re the pond. There is absolutely no reason to jeopardize that and turn into yet another publisher fighting for eyeballs on Steam next to hentai and the day before.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

For those who like Nintendo, but aren't fully devoted,(a Mario here, A Zelda there) they would definitely wait those two years for Nintendo games on the PC and never ever touch a Nintendo system again. Especially if portability is a non-factor.
It's too risky of a move for Nintendo since their main focus is games. While Microsoft and Sony have other things to fall back on. Microsoft gives away everything away immediately simply because they can. Sony see's PC gaming as a revenue stream for old games that sold well on the console first, not much to lose there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom