• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs go the PlayStation route

zenspider

Nintendo wants to control their product from the point of purchase to when you sell your used copy (retaining value). Gamers want Nintendo to turn tricks on the PC corner lol

zenspider

Tra
Officially releasing on PC would be a smart choice to tap into all the waiting profit there vs watching the games go there anyways having to constantly fight the piracy battle. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
Trading profit for value. Apple should release its OS for PC and Android, etc. Nintendo is the only console maker with a plan to survive with it's core intact. Microsoft is becoming something else entirely and who knows what Sony is thinking. Ninty will be the last one standing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really need to photoshop that Simpsons accident sign with a "days since someone on GAF has completely failed to understand Nintendo"

d0816174e2eae26c37efa62e471b930e.gif

Phase

I think it'd be a horrible idea. They have their niche fully locked down and consumers buy their hardware to play their games. I would bet very very few people actually emulate switch games on their pc. I do because frames, but overwhelming majority won't and don't.

Last edited:

Kikorin

They shouldn't, would be crazy to do so. Sure, pirated Nintendo games on PC are a thing, but these are a micro fraction of total games sold. For example I personally know more than 10 people (pretty much all people I played Pokémon GO together in past) that bought a Switch + Pokémon Let's GO when it come out. I can't even imagine what return Nintendo can make on their games and hardware.

If you want to play Nintendo games, you need Nintendo hardware, that's part of the winning strategy. And people that prefer play pirated games on PC are people that would have never bought the console and games anyway, so not a big loss for them.

Last edited:

Holammer

While I would buy a dozen Nintendo games if they released on PC (to clean up my emulation piracy), I'm not going to hold me breath.
If it happened Yamauchi's disturbed spirit would cross the veil and haunt the CEO from beyond the grave.

Saber

Gold Member
PC port begging?

NIntendo has no reason to appease you PC fetish guys when their consoles and games sell very well. Simple as that.

Tra

Trading profit for value. Apple should release its OS for PC and Android, etc. Nintendo is the only console maker with a plan to survive with it's core intact. Microsoft is becoming something else entirely and who knows what Sony is thinking. Ninty will be the last one standing.
Value wouldn't be lost on PC. There's a good chance many would even double dip.

As for the rest - Sony and even MS aren't going anywhere.

And drop their exclusives on PC. They could do it a year later or two depending on the exclusive. Especially since emulation you can pretty much play Nintendo games day and date or sometimes a week before it actually releases.

Also we know the hardware will be inferior to ps5 and series x. With a PC release atleast people who want to have the bells and whistles graphically and performance wise have that option.
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Imagine having to release a next Gen console early because the current gen(WiiU) bombed, tripled in sales due to a global pandemic, had the entire system homebrewed and hacked on PC CONCURRENTLY and still DOMINATING IN SALE in both Hardware and EXCLUSIVE title today. That's the switch right now

Nintendo:
Joseph Sikora Starz GIF by Power

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They don't "need" to. You just want them too. Can't say I disagree, but seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Fabieter

Nintendo would never go playstation route and release everything on steam so people will hate on Nintendo and will their newly made launcher as a excuse to pirate their games and if games don't sell its Nintendos fault.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Nope, Nintendo’s market is different than Sony’s. Nintendo games on PC devaluates their business as there is a lot more competition in the portable market.

LakeOf9

I wish, but they won't. They're placing value in intangibles like the perceived intractable tie between their hardware and software in the minds of the general customer, which is the kind of thing that reinforces the habit of feeling it's "okay" to spend hundreds of dollars to just play Nintendo games, whereas that is not behaviour that any other publisher would be able to get away with.

The exclusivity is literally self reinforcing, and I guess that's central to their business ideals. I would love it if they did it though, and still think there's a pretty substantial amount of money waiting to be made.

zenspider

Value wouldn't be lost on PC. There's a good chance many would even double dip.

As for the rest - Sony and even MS aren't going anywhere.
Sure, they're not going anywhere, but what will they be? The Sony Cinematic Universe and Gameflix, with occasional set top boxes.

CosmicComet

They dont need to change shit.

The Switch came out 3 years after the PS4 and still handily outsold it without ever getting an official price cut and is currently the second best selling home console behind the PS2, (which got massive price cuts throughout its lifetime) and it's still selling strong.

The Switch 2 will do the same to the PS5 when it comes out.

CosmicComet

Sooo make less award winning games?
Make worse lower profiting movies based of their games ??

I’m not following….
yeah I think he also means exert more censorship and current california puritanical standards in their games, and spend 4 billion dollars on a weak studio acquisition that has bore no fruit and is already in need of major restructuring.

Godot25

Banned
magic numbers. what could they mean!
Yeah. It's magical to have more revenue with 25 million Series X/S console sales as competition with 130 million consoles sold :p

It must be bad to be so much "drowned." Unless you think that Xbox is "drowning" in money.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah. It's magical to have more revenue with 25 million Series X/S console sales as competition with 130 million consoles sold :p

It must be bad to be so much "drowned." Unless you think that Xbox is "drowning" in money.
You can't be serious.
Xbox is clearly drowning and dead. Whatever is behind those numbers is microsoft money and services.
The revenue is not from consoles. It's from all their consoles and services.

That's like comparing how much company X sells of one car vs how much other company sells 10 cars and motorbikes.
These are not apples to apples numbers.

Godot25

Banned
Xbox is clearly drowning and dead. Whatever is behind those numbers is microsoft money and services.
The revenue is not from consoles. It's from all their consoles and services.
Graph is for overall revenue for Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo divisions. All consoles sold/services provided/games sold. So I don't know what's your problem exactly. And I like to point out that Xbox revenue is without ABK.

It's almost like "Xbox is clearly drowning and dead" is more wishful thinking and not reality. But go on. Let's comfort yourself with 50% YoY Series X/S sales dropoff in Europe :D

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Nintendo wants to control their product from the point of purchase to when you sell your used copy (retaining value). Gamers want Nintendo to turn tricks on the PC corner lol
And they don't have another choice. Sony and MS can throw money as much as they want. Nintendo doesn't have that privilege. It's almost a miracle that Nintendo even exist in current game-dev world. They have to be smarter.

skit_data

Playstation needs to go the Xbox route -> Nintendo needs to go the Playstation route

Somehow I feel this reasoning is all backwards going by my general gut feeling

OrtizTwelve

And drop their exclusives on PC. They could do it a year later or two depending on the exclusive. Especially since emulation you can pretty much play Nintendo games day and date or sometimes a week before it actually releases.

Also we know the hardware will be inferior to ps5 and series x. With a PC release atleast people who want to have the bells and whistles graphically and performance wise have that option.
No.

Nintendo’s strategy is to sell their hardware and software together and keep their exclusive software locked on their own platform. They have tremendous brand loyalty and time and time again has shown that consumers en masse buy Nintendo consoles to play exclusive Nintendo games, they don’t care about specs or inferiority vs PS5 / XBOX etc — their games are super polished and consumers love experiencing them.

Nintendo’s brand loyalty and popularity is akin to Apple, as both companies command similar positions in the market with respect to hardware, software, and ecosystem strategy.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Don't pc gamers already have a Nintendo route? Play their switch games with yuzu emulator at way better quality than anything nintendo can come up with.
It’s not legal but sure…… I guess you could say you can already play Nintendo games on PC, if you know how.

i'm sure nintendo could make a lot of money selling their stuff on PC, but not sure if that money will offset how much they would loose by not selling the hardware.
The switch must cost pennies to make now and its still selling for the same price as it launched its really crazy, also their games don't drop in price either, Playstation and Xbox games are half price a month or so later and bargain bin a year later.

RickMasters

I thought dumping the games you own and playing on a emulator was legal? Ain't that what everyone does when they play switch on pc?
I don’t know all the legalities but I’m sure Nintendo does not want anybody playing emulators on PC. That’s why they always make sure they get taken down the moment they find out they exist. I’m not sure owning a bunch of carts allows you to emulate them on PC. Atleast from what I’ve seen over the years.

Bottom line is people always find a way and are currently playing all generations of Nintendo games on PC, via some form of emulation. One gets taken down….. another gets uploaded.

Top Bottom