• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Marketing Agreement for RE8 Forces Parity and Blocks the Game From GamePass

Three

There have been PC ports of console games in the past that have had locked frame rates or settings that were “fixed” with a fan patch.
You mean games like Forza? Or Hellblade on gamepass for PC? What games with a marketing deal have had their framerate locked on PC and do you think it was because of a deal? I'd like to see your examples on this.

What it means by technical parity is what we had with the steam and gamepass differences recently with the Evil Within and Nier. Steam version was missing borderless mode, HDR, UI textures upscaled to 4K, support for ultrawide resolutions once it released on Gamepass.

This protects them from just making some other version of the game and adding technical upgrades later down the line in some other contract which they do not apply to their platforms. It doesn't mean PC is going to have its resolution or fps capped.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, it doesn't, that's you ignoring that it's mentioned seperately from features and content, and conjuring up your own definitions.
Legal documents don't define terms that just means one and the same thing; feature parity is one thing, content parity is one thing, and technical parity is one thing, they aren't "considered under" each other they are seperaly defined things.

So:

No, it doesn't.

It does. Just because your comprehension is poor, that doesn't mean it doesn't.

It explains what the parity is and how it works, but for some strange reason, you can't seem the grasp that concept. It include content and features - period.

You're going on mute because I can't waste my time teaching someone how to read.

It explains what the parity is and how it works, but for some strange reason, you can't seem the grasp that concept. It include content and features - period.
Yes parity includes content and features, and also technical, but since you keep ignoring that third part, I'll actually call you dumb now.

HAL-01

Gaf discovers a run of the mill legal agreement and everyone loses their minds

“Technical parity” does not mean Xbox can’t have different settings or performance, it refers to the technical features of the game I.E if XSX has RT, ps5 must as well. Platform limitations dictate settings, resolution and performance.

If it weren’t like this, we’d see the PC version limited to PS5 settings,
which we will all find out won’t be the case upon release.

plip.plop

I kinda wish this was true. I wish third party devs would run both the PS5 and the XSX at the same resolution that way we have a better idea of their performance in terms of fps, and rt.

EzdQOd9XMAMvJDt

EzdQQD1XEAE6g6O

Here’s the parity part:
EzdPF4BWEAA4x1A

The parity part includes PC, which is kind of sucky if true. Silly to restrict PC to technical parity with console.

Fredrik

I kinda wish this was true. I wish third party devs would run both the PS5 and the XSX at the same resolution that way we have a better idea of their performance in terms of fps, and rt.
Is it more important to know the platforms power differences than that we get the best possible version of the games for each platform?

What if Microsoft dictated a contract like this and set Xbox Series S as the level nobody could go above?

Astral Dog

For a year most likely, Capcom will put that game on GamePass after they made all the money they can from the full priced sales.

Its not a first party game, and this is the same company that put RE4 on everything after Mikami threatened to cut his head off.

But for now, if you want to play VILLAGE you have to pay 💸

onesvenus

“Technical parity” does not mean Xbox can’t have different settings or performance, it refers to the technical features of the game I.E if XSX has RT, ps5 must as well. Platform limitations dictate settings, resolution and performance.
But that's enough of a problem, isn't it? What if it were the reverse and Tempest Audio couldn't be used for example? Or Dualsense triggers?

M16

i believe the document is real. capcom recently got hacked

In an update regarding the ransomware attack that breached its networks late last year, Capcom revealed the hack is far worse than even it initially assumed. Early in November 2020, the publisher suffered a data breach from a third party. The unauthorized entity managed to access and steal untold amounts of confidential information from Capcom's servers, including data related to the company's employees, partners, and customers.
Capcom Hack & Data Breach Much Worse Than Previously Expected (screenrant.com)

Last edited:

plip.plop

Is it more important to know the platforms power differences than that we get the best possible version of the games for each platform?

What if Microsoft dictated a contract like this and set Xbox Series S as the level nobody could go above?
I made no mention of XSS because the XSX and PS5 are closer in power. Wouldn't we actually be getting the best version of each game technically because it is based on performance in terms of how the game runs. Besides, I thought FPS not resolution was the goal this gen? I personally am not in favor of a game running a higher resolution at the cost of performance.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This. No one seems to get this, it's like such simple logic is too much for them to handle.

If people want to blame someone for this, they would be better off blaming Capcom for entering into this agreement, they chose to do this.

Sony didn't force them to do anything.
56ip21.jpg

Seriously. Microsoft were the bad guys for doing shit like this, and rightfully so.

But again people somehow defend shit like professional shills when it comes to Sony.

HAL-01

But that's enough of a problem, isn't it? What if it were the reverse and Tempest Audio couldn't be used for example? Or Dualsense triggers?
Features that can’t be supported due to hardware limitations also fall under platform limitations
The clause isn’t there to remove features from other platforms, but to ensure the product is as feature rich as it can on Sony’s platform.

Similarly to your example, the PC version will support mouse + keyboard, while PS5 can’t. And this is just fine within the contract.

This is just a case of laymen misunderstanding legalese. This happens incredibly often

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
56ip21.jpg

Seriously. Microsoft were the bad guys for doing shit like this, and rightfully so.

But again people somehow defend shit like professional shills when it comes to Sony.

Microsoft also has marketing deals for games, look at some of theirs recent shows back. You think it’s different from this?

Is GAF turning into some gaming university or something. This is how marketing deals work for in every kind of industry. I mean why are STALKER, Warhammer, Scorn and a lot of other games not day one on PS5? Yep timed-exclusive and marketing deal. Nobody is defending this, but why act shocked?

If every company in the world would be open with everything they do, the world would be a mess. I have to say that people are really drama queens here lately, a specially all the cry babies with their beloved GP, you people sound like more like some broke ass babies these days. Nothing is good anymore if it isn’t available on GP....disgusting.

Last edited:
Just buy Capcom instead of making 3000 deals with them. Hell Sony Pictures makes movies out of anything they make. Seriously Monster Hunter? Whats next? Devil May Cry?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

EzdQOd9XMAMvJDt

EzdQQD1XEAE6g6O

Here’s the parity part:
EzdPF4BWEAA4x1A

Bro, don't spread misinformation.

1. This simply ensures that no DLC or content releases on other platforms that isn't releasing on PlayStation. It literally says that in the document you highlighted.
2. We already know that the game runs on unlocked frame rates. There goes all the technical parity in terms of resolution or frame rate differences.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Meh, I am way more concerned about quality of the game, rather some marketing deal. Have it on pre-order, not sure if that's wise, but 🤷

Chukhopops

I find that difficult to believe but at the same time the fact that there is also parity between the PS4Pro and X1X version can really make you think...

Vae_Victis

Banned
I love all the people that usually have a boner at the mere thought of Microsoft buying out developers and entire publishers left and right, and now all of a sudden are disgusted and outraged at the idea of Sony making a deal to retain paid-services (not even platform) exclusivity on a single game.

Apart from that, the "technical parity" part is worth a deeper look, even though I doubt it means frame rate and resolution, and it's probably more generally referred to the tech and engine. If they wanted to have parity about very specific things like target frame rate, resolution and graphics settings, they would have probably named then one by one in the contract. But I guess we'll find out when the game comes out, if there is any settings on PC that can outmatch the PS5 version, then the contract was not about that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Microsoft also has marketing deals for games, look at some of theirs recent shows back. You think it’s different from this?

Is GAF turning into some gaming university or something. This is how marketing deals work for in every kind of industry. I mean why are STALKER, Warhammer, Scorn and a lot of other games not day one on PS5? Yep timed-exclusive and marketing deal. Nobody is defending this, but why act shocked?

If every company in the world would be open with everything they do, the world would be a mess. I have to say that people are really drama queens here lately, a specially all the cry babies with their beloved GP, you people sound like more like some broke ass babies these days. Nothing is good anymore if it isn’t available on GP....disgusting.
A74F95B4B21572CEBDC65E8083BF0F4513E7A95D

How the hell did you manage to get all of this out of my post?

You must have misquoted someone. I literally said Microsoft have done the same thing.

You weren't around when Microsoft made all these deals, and everyone hated Microsoft for it? Microsoft were the bad guys for buying the industry.

Also "you people". Everyone who's against shit Sony does like this is somehow pro GP and pro Microsoft. Even if you call out Microsoft.

StarWars-RevengeoftheSith-10.jpg

Calling out both companies somehow makes you a GP shill. Not surprised.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Dusk Golem lied about PlayStation 5 version struggling to run at 1080p 60fps and now he's saying there was parity between Resident Evil 7 on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X version?

This is such bullshit considering Xbox One X version was improved in many ways over the PlayStation 4 Pro? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Moose

Forcing technical parity per contract...

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Maybe that's why DMC5 ran like shit on Xbox.
It didn't? That's like saying "that's why DIRT 5 ran like shit on PS5" (It ran worse after a patch to fix Xbox version, same with Valhalla).
I am sure it will run just fine on the Xbox consoles, except the One S.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So uh, they did this with RE Village, but not their OWN FUC'ING BASEBALL GAME FROM THEIR OWN 1P STUDIO? Major whoops if true.
C’mon you know why. They are not the ones publishing it on Xbox, not sure why we are picking this angle up again.

In other news, company A gets money from company B and the marketing deal means thing D can only happen later.

Maybe Sony could not restrict MLB that basically either asked for a massive price hike, hardly worth it possibly, or to be able to self publish on other platforms beyond PS5… it is not quite the same scenario. Why did Sony want to keep developing it? People still expect it and the possibility of a marketing deal making it arrive later on PS5 than XSX seemed even worse. Was the license worth the price hike MLB likely demanded to keep exclusivity? Not sure it would have been…

Top Bottom