• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measley

I really enjoyed the first season of Korra. Granted it was definitely rushed, but it was still way better than other cartoons that were out at the time,

Hopefully, we'll get a stronger story due to the creators having more to work with.

Omikaru

So hype. I was disappointed with Book One in many ways, but this season is make or break for me as far as Korra goes. I like that they're really delving into the lore of the Avatar; this could be incredible, or it could be disastrous.

Yesterday
kataraq2kef.png

Today

Trey

lol, I wonder how long until they have a "breakup" arc between Mako and Korra?

I give it 5-8 episodes.

You already know it's going to happen. Especially with Mako seemingly being more of a lame than in book one. "Looks like someone needs the police." Get the entire fuck out of here.

Some growth and organic conflict is desperately needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ewHEYo2xLGA

This user went to the panel, and put up an entire summary of episode 1: "Rebel Spirit". The part about Kya being Tenzin's mother is a typo, she meant "sister". That's the only thing that is incorrect.

Well, obviously I have to wait to see the actual episode before judging it. But I kind of really dislike the fact that despite what Korra and Tenzin have gone through together in Book 1, she's being disrespectful and pretty much fires him from training her. Seriously, wtf. Also..are we really going to have a full plot around her being deceived by the wrong person?

I really hope this turns out good. One thing I really disliked about Book 1, is Korra's brief moments of being hot headed and a brat. And it looks like Book 2 kicks off with her being that way again, and then making it the main plot. =/

They need some kind of tension between Tenzin and Korra. The problem is that the last five minutes of Book One really ruin a lot of potential future storylines, so I'm glad they're at least salvaging "Korra is kind of full of herself" as a trait to work with. She goes through a whole season's worth of changes in the very end of the first arc and it's fuckin' stupid.

Mononoke

Banned
They need some kind of tension between Tenzin and Korra. The problem is that the last five minutes of Book One really ruin a lot of potential future storylines, so I'm glad they're at least salvaging "Korra is kind of full of herself" as a trait to work with. She goes through a whole season's worth of changes in the very end of the first arc and it's fuckin' stupid.

All fair points. I just always hated those traits. But I suppose that is the point. It's her flaw that she will grow from over the arc of her story.

And good point about book 1. Was way too rushed. Too much happened and too much was resolved.

All fair points. I just always hated those traits. But I suppose that is the point. It's her flaw that she will grow from over the arc of her story.

And good point about book 1. Was way too rushed. Too much happened and too much was resolved.

I still want to slap the fucking MORONS who only greenlit one season resulting in the hot garbage we got with Book 1.

AoM

I still want to slap the fucking MORONS who only greenlit one season resulting in the hot garbage we got with Book 1.

I'll never understand this either. The first series was so successful that you think Nickelodeon would have told Mike and Bryan that they can have as many seasons as they want/need.

Mononoke

Banned

I still love season 1 despite its many flaws and disappointments :( But you are right, it was painfully obvious at how gimped the writing was as result of the limitations. That they tried to wrap up an entire story in a limited one season order. And this had an effect on every level down to character depth and even dialogue.

Also why is there 3 threads for this. My head is going to explode. Not sure where I should be posting.

apana

I still love season 1 despite its many flaws and disappointments :( But you are right, it was painfully obvious at how gimped the writing was as result of the limitations. That they tried to wrap up an entire story in a limited one season order. And this had an effect on every level down to character depth and even dialogue.

Also why is there 3 threads for this. My head is going to explode. Not sure where I should be posting.

Meh, they ended up wasting a lot of the time they had anyways with pointless shipping. There were so many interesting things to explore, I don't understand why when there is a female main character the attention needs to automatically turn to romance.

Tuck

Two special episodes - "Beginnings 1 & 2" do, apparently. And they have a slightly different art style from the rest of the show.

Sigh - seasons really should be 20 episodes. The number of episodes in season 1 was not nearly enough. And I don't just say that out of a desire for mroe Avatar. the story literally could not be told effectively in twelve episodes.

Mononoke

Banned
Sigh - seasons really should be 20 episodes. The number of episodes in season 1 was not nearly enough. And I don't just say that out of a desire for mroe Avatar. the story literally could not be told effectively in twelve episodes.

I think as long as they don't try to contain a main arc to just this season, and leave things open to develop (since we have 40 more episodes), it doesn't have to feel rushed like Season 1.

Apparently, the creators thought the story of Korra was going to be over once the season ended, and that's why it was rushed. Although I do see your point. I mean, every season is about a specific element, so it will have to have some kind of arc that is just central (and self-contained) to this season. My hope is that, all the other stuff they wasted time on in Season 1 (like the shipping non-sense), will be spread out. So they won't get hung up on blowing their wad all in this season. Hopefully if they move some of the other stuff aside (since they know they have 40 more episodes to work with), the 12 episodes will be effective enough for the central Spirits plot.

I hope.

cdkee

Banned
I'll never understand this either. The first series was so successful that you think Nickelodeon would have told Mike and Bryan that they can have as many seasons as they want/need.

Yeah, truly a boneheaded mistake. I think it only took one episode airing to convince Nick to give them more...

Cwarrior

Book 2 sounds a lot worse then the already really disappointing Book 1

-more of those ass wholes from book 1(korra,mako) more focus on them over any of the likeable ones
-Now there fighting random monster that's Super Ultra Combo Lame!
-Bolin one the likeable characters is trapped left behind in shitty Frisbee bending tournament hell
-10 Jammie doggers says that there going to be less focus on Tenzin & Lin seeing they don't have much else to teach korra

and worse of all, 100 jaffa cakes on this being more of the worst moments of book 1 by that I mean more twilight-esque teen romance and shipping bait.

One things for certain it can not disappoint me seeing as I've lowered my expectation accordingly.

Mononoke

Banned
Book 2 sounds a lot worse then the already really disappointing Book 1

-more of those ass wholes from book 1(korra,mako) more focus on them over any of the likeable ones
-Now there fighting random monster that's Super Ultra Combo Lame!
-Bolin one the likeable characters is trapped left behind in shitty Frisbee bending tournament hell
-10 Jammie doggers says that there going lest focus on Tenzin & Lin seeing they don't have much else to teach korra

and worse of all 100 jaffa cakes on this being more of the worst moments of book 1 by that I mean more twilight-esque teen romance and shipping bait.

One things for certain it can not disappoint me seeing as I've lowered my expectation accordingly.

You will definitely hate the first episode.

ZoddGutts

It wasn't because it was 12 eps as to why S1 was mediocre, the writers just didn't plan things out well for those number of eps. Plus the way they handle the romance wouldn't have changed if their was more eps, it would have been still terrible maybe even worse. There's been a shit ton of anime with 12 eps only that have told better stories and well develop characters than Korra S1 did because of better planning. The writers are to blame for what happened in S1.

Meh, they ended up wasting a lot of the time they had anyways with pointless shipping. There were so many interesting things to explore, I don't understand why when there is a female main character the attention needs to automatically turn to romance.

Yeah they wasted time with some dumb filler stuff like the romance bits. They had something potentially interesting with the bender and non bender conflict only to throw it under the bus to waste time on filler shit.

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who enjoyed the Korra/Bolin/Mako romance stuff. What sucks is how it was resolved so hastily; that love triangle episode is brutal but they wrap everything up and all make nice after twenty minutes of genuine drama. It's especially confusing when Korra/Bolin's chemistry was so much better than Korra and Mako's at that point - not that I'm against the idea of them being together, but we have zero roadmap of how they got there.

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who enjoyed the Korra/Bolin/Mako romance stuff. What sucks is how it was resolved so hastily; that love triangle episode is brutal but they wrap everything up and all make nice after twenty minutes of genuine drama. It's especially confusing when Korra/Bolin's chemistry was so much better than Korra and Mako's at that point - not that I'm against the idea of them being together, but we have zero roadmap of how they got there.

I actually dug the approach they took with the romance. The relationships felt more organic and interesting than the ones in Avatar: TLA. That being said, I have to at least partially agree with the detractors and say that the big focus on romance didn't belong in (what was supposed to be) a twelve-episode miniseries. It's insane that the central conflict was left unresolved while the romantic subplot reached its ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ewHEYo2xLGA

This user went to the panel, and put up an entire summary of episode 1: "Rebel Spirit". The part about Kya being Tenzin's mother is a typo, she meant "sister". That's the only thing that is incorrect.

Well, obviously I have to wait to see the actual episode before judging it. But I kind of really dislike the fact that despite what Korra and Tenzin have gone through together in Book 1, she's being disrespectful and pretty much fires him from training her. Seriously, wtf. Also..are we really going to have a full plot around her being deceived by the wrong person?

I really hope this turns out good. One thing I really disliked about Book 1, is Korra's brief moments of being hot headed and a brat. And it looks like Book 2 kicks off with her being that way again, and then making it the main plot. =/
Korra has not changed at all. Season 1 was such a shitshow. Maybe she'll grow up this season.

Mononoke

Banned

I didn't mind it. Plus, it was only really ONE episode where the entire romance was the center of it (that was "The Spirit of Competition"). The only episode that kind of revolved around it again, was the one where they go to hang out at Asami's place, but that episode more so about her dad working with the Equalist (and the back half of the episode was bad ass). So I don't really get why people keep saying so much time was wasted on the Romance. I just re-watched the series with a friend, and I didn't think THAT much time was wasted (or at least ,not enough time to blame it for the shows failures).

I do take an issue with how rushed the romances felt, it didn't feel natural at all. I think this hurt Mako more than anyone, as his character came off as whiny/cheesy, and pretty much soulless (his only purpose was to be a romance option, I didn't feel he had a lot of depth or character growth).

If anything, I would argue the professional bending stuff took up more time than anything else.

Kangi

Well, that's what happens when you actually listen to the stuff people like Zutara shippers want. Horribly, horribly done romance...

Yeah, I don't know about this. The spirit world stuff does look really good, but if the characters continue to be insufferable and the storyline continues to be one big "I have no idea what I'm doing!", I'm not sure about if I'll watch this. Maybe I'll only watch the Wan bits.

If anything, I would argue the professional bending stuff took up more time than anything else.

Fucking THIS. There were only around two pro-bending scenes in Book 1 that were relevant to the story. The rest of them seemed like they were there just so the animators could jerk themselves off; gorgeous but completely hollow.

It was better off when it was treated as a joke in Sprit of Competition than what we actually got, plus it killed 2 characters from getting any development (almost got a third but luckily that character had their own snafu to deal with)

Omikaru

The shipping stuff was fucking horrible. It's going to be a looong season two if they linger on that for too long...

The shipping stuff was fucking horrible. It's going to be a looong season two if they linger on that for too long...

Well there was a point in the trailer where Asami
has tears in her eyes
and 2 places I can think off the top of my head where that could happen are:

Confronting her father and the issues that come with that.
Mako *vomits*

Better hope its either the first one or something else entirely

Cwarrior

Mark my words watch how around 50% of the plot in season 2 is going to about kora and mako breaking up then going out with some other empty characters then getting back together in the season finally.

It's the same bullshit tween romance overload disease that killed the spiderman franchise (for me anyways).

when does this air anyways? wasn't it meant to air back in april.

Mock my words watch how around 50% of the plot in season 2 is going to about kora and mako breaking up then going out with some other empty characters then getting back together in the season finally.

It's the same bullshit tween romance overload disease that killed the spiderman franchise (for me anyways).

September.

April was either a rumor or was true but got delayed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol seems like Cwarrior took his anti-hype pill. Good.

But from his posts it's like we should be bracing for The Twilight Saga: Korra,lol.

Mononoke

Banned
Mock my words watch how around 50% of the plot in season 2 is going to about kora and mako breaking up then going out with some other empty characters then getting back together in the season finally.

I really hope you are wrong. I didn't think the "twilight" shipping stuff was as bad as you guys said it was in 1. I mean the execution was bad. But I didn't think it took up as much as time as you guys said it did.

I would absolutely hate it if more than 50% of Book 2 was all about romance.

I would really love it if they stopped focusing on the shipping but I know that won't happen.

Give me some heavy story arcs, character development, and more beautifully animated fighting scenes, then I will be satisfied.

Romance contributes angst with the viewers so I suppose it serves its purpose.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It's funny, at this point, I actually see Asami as a more sympathetic and thoughtfully developed character than the two leads.

Even going into book 2, Asami's personal arc is in a very interesting place (especially in contrast with Korra herself); plenty of tragic hardships for her to struggle through and hopefully overcome. Not only is she still dealing with the fact that her dad was a traitorous a-hole, she now has the colossal burden of managing the family business while it's in dire straits. Plus she gets to awkwardly watch her ex-boyfriend romance the other girl he quickly abandoned her for -- the freakin' Avatar for god sake. lol, this poor, poor girl. Can she ever catch a break?

Oh yeah, she's also a non-bender living in a bender-biased society. Would be cool if the writers used her as a way to further address some lingering issues from the Equalist movement... but it seems that ship has sailed. Oh well.

But above all else, I'm still rooting for this show. There's always potential for improvements. Hopefully the extra writers that Mike and Bryan brought on board can help flesh out this tale to a satisfying degree.

I agree the romance was too cliche of every teenage love drama and that ending was a bit much considering it was obviously created when there was only going to be one season. While there are those things I can't agree with the overwhelming negativity towards season 1 as I thought the good definitely outweighed the bad.

The only thing I find very dissapointing is Lin being shuffled to the background/non-existent. I think Korra had a really good supporting cast meanwhile the main characters were a little vanilla at times. I guess time will show if Korra and Aang's family will be interesting to pick up from the cut characters. I'm curious why Tenzin is hesitant about Korra's uncle teaching her about the spiritual side. I'm guessing since the evil spirit is attacking Korra's Uncle/village he did something to anger it and he will easily manipulate Korra. That or Korra's uncle shares a similar arrogance and ignorance that Korra does.

Mononoke

Banned
It's funny, at this point, I actually see Asami as a more sympathetic and thoughtfully developed character than the two leads.

Even going into book 2, Asami's personal arc is in a very interesting place (especially in contrast with Korra herself); plenty of tragic hardships for her to struggle through and hopefully overcome. Not only is she still dealing with the fact that her dad was a traitorous a-hole, she now has the colossal burden of managing the family business while it's in dire straits. Plus she gets to awkwardly watch her ex-boyfriend romance the other girl he quickly abandoned her for -- the freakin' Avatar for god sake. lol, this poor, poor girl. Can she ever catch a break?

Oh yeah, she's also a non-bender living in a bender-biased society. Would be cool if the writers used her as a way to further address some lingering issues from the Equalist movement... but it seems that ship has sailed. Oh well.

But above all else, I'm still rooting for this show. There's always potential for improvements. Hopefully the extra writers that Mike and Bryan brought on board can help flesh out this tale to a satisfying degree.

I actually agree. Asami was the best developed character in Book 1, and I always liked her more than anyone else.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who really, really, REALLY wanted to like Mako? When I first saw him in the concept art for Comic-Con 2011 I was like "Yep, he's a Zuko-expy, but he's going to be my favorite anyhow." I'm a sucker for serious badasses when done extremely well.

Then...that shit aired. What in the flying fuck.

Take away his relationship/shipping and what do you have? He's just...there. Kind of like Bolin.

They're going to have to do a lot to redeem his character because he's such a jackass and basically cheated on Asami and she's....okay with it.

Da fuq?

Veelk

Banned
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who really, really, REALLY wanted to like Mako? When I first saw him in the concept art for Comic-Con 2011 I was like "Yep, he's a Zuko-expy, but he's going to be my favorite anyhow." I'm a sucker for serious badasses when done extremely well.

Then...that shit aired. What in the flying fuck.

Take away his relationship/shipping and what do you have? He's just...there. Kind of like Bolin.

They're going to have to do a lot to redeem his character because he's such a jackass and basically cheated on Asami and she's....okay with it.

Da fuq?
She clearly wasn't okay with it and called him out on his bullshit, and he was there as a love interest and to unlock Korra's air bending (however much it shouldn't.

I hate mako as much as the next guy, but lets not make shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom