• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra is...pretty good!

LotusHD

Banned
Also, plenty of queer people saw it coming a mile away. Heteronormativity is a hell of a drug.

I didn't think they'd go through with it, but I saw it too, though I'm assuming you noticed it at an earlier point. I only picked up on it at the end of Season 3 and onwards.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I always joked with my friends that you could feel the tension between Korra & Asami, but it would never happen for obvious reasons. And then...it happened!

This too. It's a truly mysterious coincidence that every single piece of popular modern media featuring female protagonists also involves devoted male fans who demean, insult, and attack the work and its protagonist as if they were personally offended. I wonder what causes this...
pZbD7cL.gif
Counterpoint:

People rag on bad characters as dumb story decisions regardless of gender.

Legend of Korra peaked with "When Extremes Meet", the only reprieve in terms of quality was Amon walking through Tarlock's blood bending, it's all downhill from there.
Korra is one of those things that people absolutely despise for some reason.

Personally I really like it. ATLA is my favorite animated series and while LoK doesn't hit those same highs, I think the series doesn't get enough credit for trying new things and going in new directions. In this era of "legacy sequels," it would have been so easy for them to just throw in Old Man Zuko and Katara or whatever for the entire series and rake in the dough and acclaim, but instead they took risks, tried new things, and expanded the universe with new characters.

Did it always work? No. But unlike much of fandom, I appreciate and respect when creators attempt new directions instead of rehashing the same shit.

Also
Korra is insanely hot and basically my dream girl
Because it's not good.
I'm not going to give the writers a participation trophy.
This too. It's a truly mysterious coincidence that every single piece of popular modern media featuring female protagonists also involves devoted male fans who demean, insult, and attack the work and its protagonist as if they were personally offended. I wonder what causes this...
pZbD7cL.gif
Or maybe Korra just ultimately falls flat, even with said amplified hatred.

Legend of Korra peaked with "When Extremes Meet", the only reprieve in terms of quality was Amon walking through Tarlock's blood bending, it's all downhill from there.

Because it's not good.
I'm not going to give the writers a participation trophy.

Or maybe Korra just ultimately falls flat, even with said amplified hatred.

Just from an artistic point it easily gets to "good" category, tbh. Ost, animation and art is beautiful. Even if the story was just serviceable (it's not, you could try to make the point but the only real low is S2 and that's usually so overblown) the rest of what it brings as an animated show is enough to not be total trash as some people want to argue about here.

It's the extreme exaggeration that really gets me. I don't even think LoK is the best thing ever -- I'd give it maybe an 8/10, with the original series being a perfect 10 -- but the level of devotion of the people who despise this show belies something deeper in their psyche, as if they have been personally wounded by something.

I see it again and again -- with the Star Wars fans who, if time permitted, would go door to door asking if you've got a few minutes to discuss how Rey is a Mary Sue; the Ghostbusters fanboys who carpet-bombed every website on the internet to explain how Ghostbusters 2016 is the biggest war crime ever put on film; the Trekkies who went into a blind rage two years ago when Bryan Fuller announced his intention to cast a woman of color (or god forbid, a gay woman of color) as his new Star Trek protagonist.

All of these incidents keep happening, over and over, and it makes you wonder why they devote so much time and energy that could spent doing something more productive, like licking stamps or reading a phonebook, and instead become religious zealots who are dedicated to telling everyone just how big a bitch Korra or Rey or the Ghostbusters or Michael Burnham or anybody else that women have latched on to and claimed for themselves.

Do I think all these people are sexists? No. But I think there's something deeply scarring people who look at others being happy, who look at little girls cosplaying as Rey or a Ghostbuster or queer women in reaction videos literally crying with shock because they never thought they'd see themselves in a children's TV show, and they look at those people and their eye twitches and they devote themselves to taking that happiness away, to telling you just how wrong you are for enjoying this.

You can't just let us have this one moment, this one ten second scene of two girls holding hands. You have to take it away, because subconsciously it makes you happy to see that taken away from us.

My favorite part
was when things happened and harmony swept across the land and people became air benders.

Also there are more Sky Bisons.

It's the extreme exaggeration that really gets me. I don't even think LoK is the best thing ever -- I'd give it maybe an 8/10, with the original series being a perfect 10 -- but the level of devotion of the people who despise this show belies something deeper in their psyche, as if they have been personally wounded by something.

I see it again and again -- with the Star Wars fans who, if time permitted, would go door to door asking if you've got a few minutes to discuss how Rey is a Mary Sue; the Ghostbusters fanboys who carpet-bombed every website on the internet to explain how Ghostbusters 2016 is the biggest war crime ever put on film; the Trekkies who went into a blind rage two years ago when Bryan Fuller announced his intention to cast a woman of color (or god forbid, a gay woman of color) as his new Star Trek protagonist.

All of these incidents keep happening, over and over, and it makes you wonder why they devote so much time and energy that could spent doing something more productive, like licking stamps or reading a phonebook, and instead become religious zealots who are dedicated to telling everyone just how big a bitch Korra or Rey or the Ghostbusters or Michael Burnham or anybody else that women have latched on to and claimed for themselves.

Do I think all these people are sexists? No. But I think there's something deeply scarring people who look at others being happy, who look at little girls cosplaying as Rey or a Ghostbuster or queer women in reaction videos literally crying with shock because they never thought they'd see themselves in a children's TV show, and they look at those people and their eye twitches and they devote themselves to taking that happiness away, to telling you just how wrong you are for enjoying this.

You can't just let us have this one moment, this one ten second scene of two girls holding hands. You have to take it away, because subconsciously it makes you happy to see that taken away from us.

No one cares Korra and Asami shack up at the end. It comes outta nowhere and everyone knows it, so that's the problem. If you believe people critiquing the story is somehow taking away the moment then you may need to stay away from film or movie discussions.

Miker

Put me down as someone who I loved season 1. It had a bit too much drama and pro-bending but Amon was a great villain.

Measley

I really enjoyed the show overall. Amon (until his reveal) was an excellent character, and I really wish he hung around a bit longer. The theories of his identity were far better than the actual reveal itself.

Zaheer and his crew almost made up for the letdown of Amon.

I'm made my opinions on Legend of Korra clear multiple times before in several threads. I think it's a disappointing show that doesn't really live up to its predecessor and ranges from being good (Book 3) to bad (Book 4). It never hits the highs of TLA, and hits lows lower than anything in that series.

That being said, Varrick is probably one of my favourite characters ever. He made Books 2 and 4 watchable.

As for Korra and Asami, I was okay with the idea, but the execution is (like the rest of Book "Let's end this with a stupid giant mech fight" 4) not that great, and is a let down. Seeing Korra and Asami get together was like watching a bad action movie where the hero gets the girl at the end despite them almost never interacting before.

Don't believe me. Here's some stats:

- In Book 2, Korra and Asami never have a conversation with each other. If you count conversations they are both a part in, they only have 1, IIRC, when Varrick is convincing Korra to stage a false flag attack and Asami to profit from a civil war.

- Book 3 has the best interactions between the two, so much that I think that if they confirmed the ship at the end of Book 3, it would have worked much better than how they actually did it.

- Book 4, despite being the last book and right before they end it with the romance, also has very little interactions between the two. They are separated for a full half-season, having only one little scene together in Episode 2 before never seeing each other until Episode 7, where they have a small reunion scene followed by a fight scene. After that, they have a conversation in the recap episode, then nothing until basically the finale (Episode 9 is with Mako, Episode 10 with the Beifongs, and after that, it's the finale which focuses on the team).

It's pretty poorly done, and is the main reason I think that it comes out of nowhere for so many people. It has very little emotional build-up. The characters barely spend any time together in series before and the lead-up to the finale. It makes Book 4 feel like the writers were trying to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to have Korra alone for most of the book, but also wanted to end it on a relationship they had only started setting up the building blocks before and which they needed to have the characters spend time together to make it work. Most of the relationships in the series suffer for the same reasons, so it isn't just a LGBT thing. Zaheer and P'li's relationship is about as poorly set up ("Thank you for rescuing me from that warlord").

waaaay better than Aang´s tbh.

Season 1 was some GoT level of magnificent.

Totally misunderstood (or deliberately misunderstood) the point of my comment. "Toph's daughter and Aang's son" are not Toph and Aang (as evidenced by the fact that neither Lin or Tenzin are anywhere near as popular with fans as their parents), nor is Zuko's grandson (a minor character who plays almost no role in the story) or a cameo from Iroh or other ATLA characters.

What I meant is that they could have set an Avatar sequel series ~20 years in the future with an adult Gaang and called it "Avatar: The Spirit Awakens" and everybody would have loved it, but it'd just be rehashing the same characters and themes we already saw. Korra took a new direction.

Oh good, I was waiting for this comment. The writers weren't allowed to show much of Korra and Asami's feelings because the United States is incredibly homophobic, the idea of portraying a gay relationship in a children's show scared Nickelodeon, and they needed to broadcast and syndicate the series in other countries where portrayal of homosexuality is literally illegal. So the writers did the best they could and chose to work within those boundaries instead of giving up, and created something great that made a lot of people happy.

Also, plenty of queer people saw it coming a mile away. Heteronormativity is a hell of a drug.

YEEEEES. This. We saw this coming. Cishets getting so mad about Korrasami should be a topic to be studied and teached in schools tbh.

I'm made my opinions on Legend of Korra clear multiple times before in several threads. I think it's a disappointing show that doesn't really live up to its predecessor and ranges from being good (Book 3) to bad (Book 4). It never hits the highs of TLA, and hits lows lower than anything in that series.

That being said, Varrick is probably one of my favourite characters ever. He made Books 2 and 4 watchable.

As for Korra and Asami, I was okay with the idea, but the execution is (like the rest of Book "Let's end this with a stupid giant mech fight" 4) not that great, and is a let down. Seeing Korra and Asami get together was like watching a bad action movie where the hero gets the girl at the end despite them almost never interacting before.

- In Book 2, Korra and Asami never have a conversation with each other. If you count conversations they are both a part in, they only have 1, IIRC, when Varrick is convincing Korra to stage a false flag attack and Asami to profit from a civil war.

- Book 3 has the best interactions between the two, so much that I think that if they confirmed the ship at the end of Book 3, it would have worked much better than how they actually did it.

- Book 4, despite being the last book and right before they end it with the romance, also has very little interactions between the two. They are separated for a full half-season, having only one little scene together in Episode 2 before never seeing each other until Episode 7, where they have a small reunion scene followed by a fight scene. After that, they have a conversation in the recap episode, then nothing until basically the finale (Episode 9 is with Mako, Episode 10 with the Beifongs, and after that, it's the finale which focuses on the team).

It's pretty poorly done, and is the main reason I think that it comes out of nowhere for so many people. It has very little emotional build-up. The characters barely spend any time together in series before and the lead-up to the finale. It makes Book 4 feel like the writers were trying to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to have Korra alone for most of the book, but also wanted to end it on a relationship they had only started setting up the building blocks before and which they needed to have the characters spend time together to make it work. Most of the relationships in the series suffer for the same reasons, so it isn't just a LGBT thing. Zaheer and P'li's relationship is about as poorly set up ("Thank you for rescuing me from that warlord").
There's also the fact that Korra and Asami don't really have much in common. There's no real spark or chemistry to me. They just seem thrown together to appease the LGBTQ crowd. And this isn't me being down on lesbian ships cause...well...search my post history, it's just me being down on a poorly implemented lesbian ship.

Takyon

Keep in mind, those "whorra" videos have hundreds of thousands of views. When I would browse Korra threads on
certain message boards
, people calling her a "stupid bitch" or "whore" is exceedingly often.
This is the kinda opposition that Korra had to face from the start in many quarters.

Can't really blame the authors, tbh. Nickelodeon made everything possible to fuck up the show, expecting them to allow any kind of advance on LGBTQ topics? lol. I find it believable because there were important signs, for example Korra opened up her heart only to her on her letters. And it's not as if they passionately kissed at the end, or say something like "i love you", they were starting something, holding hands, etc. They didn't jump from 0 to 100 as you are trying to tell.

They could definitely handled romance better but, i give them kudos for trying to break the mold, specially considering nickelodeon.

7Th

There are plenty of well-loved female-led works in geek media; I'm really not sure why people keep using that "NO U" argument to defend Korra.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh good, I was waiting for this comment. The writers weren't allowed to show much of Korra and Asami's feelings because the United States is incredibly homophobic, the idea of portraying a gay relationship in a children's show scared Nickelodeon, and they needed to broadcast and syndicate the series in other countries where portrayal of homosexuality is literally illegal. So the writers did the best they could and chose to work within those boundaries instead of giving up, and created something great that made a lot of people happy.

I am well aware of that, which is dumb, but I don't feel that the show did a great job of hinting that and to be clear I had no problem with the pairing and I even supported it but I never once felt that two had feeling for each other when the show made it pretty obvious that the non gay character liked each other.

Female characters are never allowed to have an arc. It's always just "ugh what a terrible character I hate her why is she so fucking stupid"

I am sorry what?

Here's what Korra did in season two;

-She was arrogant and cocky and fooling herself that she actually defeated Amon, when she didn't. It was his bother who killed him after he escaped.

-She refused to listen to her father and Tenzin and went in blindly with her uncle's plan.

-Caused a civil war between the water tribe and just made thing worse in the process.

-Broke the Avatar cycle effectively killing generation of Avatars, all of which could have easily been avoided had she just listened to Tenzin and her father.

Her character growth in season two were "whoops I fucked up better fix my mistake."

Finally I dislike Korra as a show because it doesn't quite live up it's presuccessor and I dislike Korra as a character because of her actions in season two and not because she's a female.

She got better in season 3 and 4.

Frankly I am insulted that you accuse me of being sexist when I had no problems with the other female characters on the show and even thought it was stupid how Matel didn't make a single Katara merchandise purely because she was a female.

pZbD7cL.gif

First off Korra isn't real, secondly I am not offended by what she did at all though perhaps I may have been harsh in my wording but I would have been the same even if she was male and I had done this with characters that are male, a perfect example would be Seita from Grave of the Fireflies.

I do not have a problem with characters that are female.

I'm gay and I didn't see the romantic bond there at all, even upon rewatch. It just felt like a good friendship. There are better ways to subtly hint at a relationship than they did with this pair. I'm liking how the comic continues it and gets to acknowledge it at least.

Exactly, the show didn't once do this so just felt tacked on in the end with it being hidden away into the comics.

Shame really as I support the paring.

Jintor

S1 was great but it didn't stick the landing.

Amon is the GOATest villain they ever had except when they started explaining him.

I was CONVINCED he was that Noh-Face spirit guy possessing a dude or some shit. His actual explanation was garbage

Also you're kidding me, Korra/Asami have natural chemistry in spades, better than Korra or Asami ever had with Mako. Mako doesn't chemist with anybody. That ep in S3 where Asami and Korra just hang out is just great vibes. That said you're right, they barely interact much in S1 and S2 and that's almost solely because of the garbage Mako storyline.

Not

Banned
S1 was great but it didn't stick the landing.

Amon is the GOATest villain they ever had except when they started explaining him.

I was CONVINCED he was that Noh-Face spirit guy possessing a dude or some shit. His actual explanation was garbage

I was so excited for the finale. It was on the day of my brother's wedding. Still remember being like "what?" when Tarrlok started explaining everything.

Season two really showed Korra at her worst. She behaved like a spoiled child throughout the majority of that season. It's bad when Mako was the voice of reason during that time.

Can't really blame the authors, tbh. Nickelodeon made everything possible to fuck up the show, expecting them to allow any kind of advance on LGBTQ topics? lol. I find it believable because there were important signs, for example Korra opened up her heart only to her on her letters. And it's not as if they passionately kissed at the end, or say something like "i love you", they were starting something, holding hands, etc. They didn't jump from 0 to 100 as you are trying to tell.

They could definitely handled romance better but, i give them kudos for trying to break the mold, specially considering nickelodeon.

I blame the authors. Again, they were trying to have their cake and eat it too.

It wasn't like they had to do anything explicitly romantic, they only needed to have the characters spend time with each other, and deal with problems together. One of my favourite romances in films, and a fantastic example of how to build up emotionally toward a love confession, is Han Solo and Leia in The Empire Strikes Back. I've used this example before, but Korra and Asami getting together was like if the "I love you/I know" scene at the end of ESB hadn't been preceded by Han and Leia spending the whole film together. The emotional build-up doesn't come from Han and Leia doing romantic things with each other, it comes from them spending time together, working together, and trying to solve problems and escape the Empire together with Chewbacca and C3PO. You don't need anything expressly romantic to build up the relationship between two characters, just have them spend time with each other.

I thought stuff like in Book 3 with Korra being taught to drive did a pretty good job, and they allowed that to happen, so I don't see why Nick wouldn't have allowed similar stuff in Book 4. But the creators chose to have that ship and split up all the characters, cutting off a lot of time that could have been used to build up the relationship. There were a lot of little things they could have done to build up the ship more, but they chose not to. Here are some suggestions I heard after the finale:

- Have Asami be the one searching for Korra near the spirit portal at the end, instead of Mako.

- Have Korra look more worried when Hiroshi is killed (for all she knows, Asami was in the Hummingbird with him).

Those are suggestions pertaining only the finale. There are a bunch of other ways the season could have been changed to make it work better. Again, they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. As it is, I think it didn't really make sense for Korra to end up with anyone at the end, since romance wasn't exactly a thing in the later seasons (I also thought it would be refreshing to not have a series where the lead has to hook up with someone).

If they wanted to make the Korrasami romance work, they should have changed the structure of the season. Not have Korra spend so much time on her own. Spend less time getting the main characters back together.

As it is though, it's a mess, like a lot of other aspects of the show.

Also you're kidding me, Korra/Asami have natural chemistry in spades, better than Korra or Asami ever had with Mako. Mako doesn't chemist with anybody. That ep in S3 where Asami and Korra just hang out is just great vibes. That said you're right, they barely interact much in S1 and S2 and that's almost solely because of the garbage Mako storyline.

Saying they have more chemistry than Korra and Mako is like saying Death Valley has more water than the surface of Mercury. Sure, it's true, but it isn't saying much.

Chindogg

I blame the authors. Again, they were trying to have their cake and eat it too.

It wasn't like they had to do anything explicitly romantic, they only needed to have the characters spend time with each other, and deal with problems together. One of my favourite romances in films, and a fantastic example of how to build up emotionally toward a love confession, is Han Solo and Leia in The Empire Strikes Back. I've used this example before, but Korra and Asami getting together was like if the "I love you/I know" scene at the end of ESB hadn't been preceded by Han and Leia spending the whole film together. The emotional build-up doesn't come from Han and Leia doing romantic things with each other, it comes from them spending time together, working together, and trying to solve problems and escape the Empire together with Chewbacca and C3PO. You don't need anything expressly romantic to build up the relationship between two characters, just have them spend time with each other.

I thought stuff like in Book 3 with Korra being taught to drive did a pretty good job, and they allowed that to happen, so I don't see why Nick wouldn't have allowed similar stuff in Book 4. But the creators chose to have that ship and split up all the characters, cutting off a lot of time that could have been used to build up the relationship. There were a lot of little things they could have done to build up the ship more, but they chose not to. Here are some suggestions I heard after the finale:

- Have Asami be the one searching for Korra near the spirit portal at the end, instead of Mako.

- Have Korra look more worried when Hiroshi is killed (for all she knows, Asami was in the Hummingbird with him).

Those are suggestions pertaining only the finale. There are a bunch of other ways the season could have been changed to make it work better. Again, they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. As it is, I think it didn't really make sense for Korra to end up with anyone at the end, since romance wasn't exactly a thing in the later seasons (I also thought it would be refreshing to not have a series where the lead has to hook up with someone).

If they wanted to make the Korrasami romance work, they should have changed the structure of the season. Not have Korra spend so much time on her own. Spend less time getting the main characters back together.

As it is though, it's a mess, like a lot of other aspects of the show.

The worst part of how they blew the pairing at the end was right before the hand holding you had Mako giving that tropey as fuck "I'll always be there for you" speech to Korra with her saying thank you with the stars in her eyes, as if they left it open for that relationship to continue.

It completely sucked the impact of the final scene and just kinda botched the whole thing.

As a whole, TLoK is fine. It's not TLA quality, but season 3 gets pretty close. Just too many execution woes and almost completely ruining Korra's character in season 2.

LotusHD

Banned
Haha, I wrote this big post about how there's thinly-veiled sexism behind the Korra hate and one post later this dude just straight-up posts a video called "The Legend of Whorra." I clearly put way too much effort into my post.

Yep...

You're not helping.

Lmao, it is what it is. Like, no one (At least I'm not) is saying you can't criticize this show, there's a lot to criticize. But some people, to put it lightly, just go way too far in ways that are unfortunately not that surprising to me.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Female characters are never allowed to have an arc. It's always just "ugh what a terrible character I hate her why is she so fucking stupid"

pZbD7cL.gif

The Legend of Korra is the wrong hill to die on for this argument, especially considering how well the women characters were treated in its predecessor show The Last Airbender. The Legend of Korra just doesn't have good story building and writing overall. The difference between being a fan and a stan is knowing when to admit that your favorite show had flaws. The writers didn't do Korra justice.

The Legend of Korra is the wrong hill to die on for this argument

Yeah, and so is The Force Awakens, and Ghostbusters, and Star Trek Discovery, and Doctor Who, and every other female-led piece of media that receives some sort of violent hate brigade over a fucking fictional piece of media. They're always the wrong hill to die on. It's always the wrong time to have this conversation. #NotAllMen.

It's been three years. If someone truly hates this show, they need to let it go. To continue attacking it so virulently suggests something deeper psychologically than just "I didn't like it."

There's a video series in this thread called "The Legend of Whorra" that has hundreds of thousands of views and thousands of likes. Thousands of alleged Avatar fans looked at this video series and said yes, it's appropriate to call a fictional woman a whore because I didn't like this show.

Sexism is a deep, toxic root in this fandom just like every single other one and I'm not backing down from that position.

Not

Banned
The Legend of Korra is the wrong hill to die on for this argument, especially considering how well the women characters were treated in its predecessor show The Last Airbender. The Legend of Korra just doesn't have good story building and writing overall. The difference between being a fan and a stan is knowing when to admit that your favorite show had flaws. The writers didn't do Korra justice.

The main character of Avatar: The Last Airbender wasn't female. You might think it doesn't make a big difference, but it does.

And you can admit the show has flaws and still call out overt sexism, can't you?

Yeah, and so is The Force Awakens, and Ghostbusters, and Star Trek Discovery, and Doctor Who, and every other female-led piece of media that receives some sort of violent hate brigade over a fucking fictional piece of media.

It's been three years. If someone truly hates this show, they need to let it go. To continue attacking it so virulently suggests something deeper psychologically than just "I didn't like it."

There's a video series in this thread called "The Legend of Whorra" that has hundreds of thousands of views and thousands of likes. Thousands of alleged Avatar fans looked at this video series and said yes, it's appropriate to call a fictional woman a whore because I didn't like this show.

Sexism is a deep, toxic root in this fandom just like every single other one and I'm not backing down from that position.

Misogyny isn't a defense against poor writing.

You don't want to mix criticism and hate. You will only see one argument. What you're saying is since there's toxic masculinity in the media, we should just stop criticizing shows.

Top Bottom