• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra is...pretty good!

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
"I'm the avatar! You gotta deal with it!" Hell yeah, girl.

That statement, though, serves a purpose beyond being totally kickass: This will be the focus of her development over Book 1. Korra doesn't have a sense of self outside her being the Avatar. It's why she's so afraid of Amon taking her bending away.

I'm of two minds about Amon. Well, maybe more. It was pretty clear since his first appearance that this dude was nuts (I mean, he wears a creepy mask for god's sake). It was also clear to me not long after that to realize that the Equalists, despite the noble idea supposedly at the core of their cause, was a terrorist group. Their goal -- and I say supposed goal, because their actions have always suggested otherwise -- is for non-benders to have the same rights as benders, but the show so far, and I'm only 6 episodes in, hasn't shown conclusively that non-benders are in some societal disadvantage. Yes, pro-bending is the most popular sport (and it'd make sense they'd turn it into a sport), and the police is all benders, as well as the Council (though non-benders have been part of it in the past). So far, the show hasn't revealed, in what ways, society disadvantages non-benders. I would like the show to explore benders vs. non-benders more, but because it hasn't been depicted as an issue, you can't really explore it. So, Amon at the moment just seems like a crazy guy using a wedge issue to gain power.

Amon's a cool bad guy but at the moment he's kinda like Ozai who's just evil for the sake of being evil. Other than him, I like a lot of the characters. Lin and Tenzin are great -- I just found out about their history -- and I really like what little relationship development we're getting between Lin and Korra. By the way, Korra and Lin were kicking ass at the end of "And the winner is...". Holy shit those ladies rock. Working together, I was like, "Go, Korra go! And hell yeah here comes Lin!"

Korra's great, Nagga and Pabu too. Bolin is enjoyable. Asami is mainly just a love interest right now but I think we're about to see more of her. Mako is...well, he's there. The love triangle (and briefly, a love square) wasn't enjoyable but it's interesting to see how Korra and Asami are to each other given that they end up together (heard about this a while back!). The show probably could've used a little less pro-bending, but it's helped Korra learn her air bending and it seems like it won't return since the stadium has been blown up.

I really enjoy the new political developments that comes with being in a 1920s city. Seeing Korra have to behave in the age of a press has been lots of fun. The fights are just as awesome as in ATLA. And, in a fascinating contrast, to ATLA, most episodes of Korra have ended on some sour note.

Can't wait to see more. Looks like things are about to ramp up for the last six episodes.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Season 1 is great but blows the landing. Season 3 is my favorite season of Avatar period. 4 just felt underwhelming as the send-off for the Avatar universe.

We don't talk about 2.

JDB

Banned
I stopped watching when
she shot lasers out of her giant self or whatever.
Season 2 I think? Not really specifically because of that, but I just couldn't stand it anymore. Had such a great premise with the friction between benders and non-benders, but all we got were terrible teen romance scenes.

Not

Banned
Yeah, you know what! It is!

The good parts outweigh the bad, and Studio Mir does fucking awesome work.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I stopped watching when
she shot lasers out of her giant self or whatever.
Season 2 I think? Not really specifically because of that, but I just couldn't stand it anymore. Had such a great premise with the friction between benders and non-benders, but all we got were terrible teen romance scenes.

I was kinda enjoying all that because it kept ramping up in ridiculousness.

"Yeah but when you're with her, you're thinking of me."

Zelias

Banned
Season 2 is bad (bar a couple of episodes) but the rest is pretty good. Just not as good as the original series, but that's a high bar to set.

Nicolada

It's gonna get really really bad and then it's gonna get really really good and then the last 10 seconds is either gonna piss you off or warm your heart.

VeeP

The show was disappointing overall.

Season 1 did a solid job for the most part. It had some cool ideas (Republic City), a cool villain, a interesting cast, etc.

But the ending kinda sucked. Amon was a real let down.

Season 2 was very mediocre besides Wan. In two episodes I liked and cared more for Wan than I ever did for Korra.

Season 3 was the peak of this series, and honestly it was a blast. Everything about it was amazing, I won't ruin it for you.

Season 4... was a let down after season 3. Enjoy the show OP.

It varies in quality, but it's excellent overall and it's certainly not as bad as some people claim, even the infamous second season.
I particularly liked Tanzin's character and his struggle to live up to his fathers legacy. The way they implied that the original Team Avatar's relationships with their children was often less than perfect was pretty cool.

I enjoy it a lot despite it's shortcomings. It probably has my favorite aesthetic of any animated TV show. I like the setting a lot more than ATLA.

And despite Korra being far from a perfectly written character, I still found her to be very a refreshing a main protagonist. Especially coming off of Aang.

Vlaphor

Overall, I'd say that while there are more lower points in Korra than Avatar, the higher points are so much higher that it evens out in my mind. I love Avatar/Korra so much that my first tattoo was Avatar related, and the first Korra book continuation that came out was pretty good. So yeah, Korra is pretty good.

Korra is one of those things that people absolutely despise for some reason.

Personally I really like it. ATLA is my favorite animated series and while LoK doesn't hit those same highs, I think the series doesn't get enough credit for trying new things and going in new directions. In this era of "legacy sequels," it would have been so easy for them to just throw in Old Man Zuko and Katara or whatever for the entire series and rake in the dough and acclaim, but instead they took risks, tried new things, and expanded the universe with new characters.

Did it always work? No. But unlike much of fandom, I appreciate and respect when creators attempt new directions instead of rehashing the same shit.

Also
Korra is insanely hot and basically my dream girl

Zolo

I couldn't really get into season 1, so I never watched the future seasons. Then again, I wasn't that big of a fan of the first Avatar either.

Oddish1

One day I hope to see the season 3 that everyone else saw and loved, because the season 3 I saw was barely above season 2 in writing.

Korra is one of those things that people absolutely despise for some reason.

Personally I really like it. ATLA is my favorite animated series and while LoK doesn't hit those same highs, I think the series doesn't get enough credit for trying new things and going in new directions. In this era of "legacy sequels," it would have been so easy for them to just throw in Old Man Zuko and Katara or whatever for the entire series and rake in the dough and acclaim, but instead they took risks, tried new things, and expanded the universe with new characters.

Did it always work? No. But unlike much of fandom, I appreciate and respect when creators attempt new directions instead of rehashing the same shit.

Korra rehashes tons of stuff. Season 1 has Toph's daughter and Aang's son as main characters. Zuko's grandson shows up and he's voiced by Dante Basco. Iroh is dead and they still found a way to put him in the show.

Season 2 isn't great outside of a few episodes but it picks back up again in Season 3 and 4. Overall I really enjoyed the series but it's no ATLA to me.

Finaj

One day I hope to see the season 3 that everyone else saw and loved, because the season 3 I saw was barely above season 2 in writing.

Korra rehashes tons of stuff. Season 1 has Toph's daughter and Aang's son as main characters. Zuko's grandson shows up and he's voiced by Dante Basco. Iroh is dead and they still found a way to put him in the show.

Lin is nothing like Toph and Tenzin is nothing like Aang. Also, I can't understand how you can make Iroh making a cameo a bad thing.

A-V-B

Another one? I swear to God, you idiots are gonna start a second Avatar civil war!

AANG FOR LYFE, YO

Takyon

I like the show too, certainly enough to want another series if the creators have the energy.
I own all four of the Korra artbooks, and you get the sense that the team were only operating at full power during book 1 and book 3. Book 2's production sounded like a complete clusterfuck, and you can feel the energy and drive slipping away throughout book 4. You can't be too hard on them though, making a show like this is hard work.

I think "peacekeepers" from book 2 is by far the worst episode of the series, but it's also fucking hilarious.
>bolin sexually assaults someone
>Asami jumps at the chance to profit from a civil-war
>Korra goes against the democratically elected leader of Republic City and attempts to organize a false-flag against the Northern Water Tribe

What were the writers thinking lmao.

EulaCapra

Holy shit... A positive new thread regarding season 1 of Korra on GAF!?!?

Keep at it. It's a beautifully produced show with too many minor but very vocal complaints from some Gaffers. My only problem with it throughout the whole series is there's WAAAAYYY too many main/recurring characters at the cost of screen time and character development time for the original season 1 main characters besides Korra. Still beats a lot of entertainment by a wide margin!

Mr-Joker

Banned
"I'm the avatar! You gotta deal with it!" Hell yeah, girl.

Just wait till you get to season two and see just how fucking stupid Korra is and why she's a terrible Avatar.

Avatar: The Legend of Aang is much better and has the better pay off, Korra however is just doesn't flow as well, due to external problems, and because it lacks the overarching narrative so the pay off at the end just doesn't have the same impact as The legend of Aang final episode did.

Also I wasn't a fan of
Korra and Asami getting together at the end as it felt so forced and the show did a bad job of displaying them having feeling for each others.

Totally misunderstood (or deliberately misunderstood) the point of my comment. "Toph's daughter and Aang's son" are not Toph and Aang (as evidenced by the fact that neither Lin or Tenzin are anywhere near as popular with fans as their parents), nor is Zuko's grandson (a minor character who plays almost no role in the story) or a cameo from Iroh or other ATLA characters.

What I meant is that they could have set an Avatar sequel series ~20 years in the future with an adult Gaang and called it "Avatar: The Spirit Awakens" and everybody would have loved it, but it'd just be rehashing the same characters and themes we already saw. Korra took a new direction.

Also I wasn't a fan of Korra and Asami getting together at the end as it felt so forced and the show did a bad job of displaying them having feeling for each others.

Oh good, I was waiting for this comment. The writers weren't allowed to show much of Korra and Asami's feelings because the United States is incredibly homophobic, the idea of portraying a gay relationship in a children's show scared Nickelodeon, and they needed to broadcast and syndicate the series in other countries where portrayal of homosexuality is literally illegal. So the writers did the best they could and chose to work within those boundaries instead of giving up, and created something great that made a lot of people happy.

Also, plenty of queer people saw it coming a mile away. Heteronormativity is a hell of a drug.

Not

Banned
Just wait till you get to season two and see just how fucking stupid Korra is and why she's a terrible Avatar.

Female characters are never allowed to have an arc. It's always just "ugh what a terrible character I hate her why is she so fucking stupid"

Some gaffers probably haven't watch a lot of tv, specially western animated shows from the likes of CN that are complete trash, so they feel Korra is kind of a lowest point when it's not at all. The art, the ost, the animation is top notch, even if the story or dialogue takes "a hit" in season 2.

Is still worthy, and still expanded a lot the universe of ATLA and introduced really interesting characters. There's some absolutely beautiful scenes and stories there, specially a 2-part episode in season 2.

Fuck nickelodeon for killing the franchise, though.

Not

Banned
Some gaffers probably haven't watch a lot of tv, specially western animated shows from the likes of CN that are complete trash, so they feel Korra is kind of a lowest point when it's not at all. The art, the ost, the animation is top notch, even if the story or dialogue takes "a hit" in season 2.

This too. Amazing voice acting and production values. It is top-tier on that front, especially compared to other shows.

But voice acting in animation has gotten a lot better overall in the Adventure Time era.

AoM

Oh good, I was waiting for this comment. The writers weren't allowed to show much of Korra and Asami's feelings because the United States is incredibly homophobic, the idea of portraying a gay relationship in a children's show scared Nickelodeon, and they needed to broadcast and syndicate the series in other countries where portrayal of homosexuality is literally illegal. So the writers did the best they could and chose to work within those boundaries instead of giving up, and created something great that made a lot of people happy.

Also, plenty of queer people saw it coming a mile away. Heteronormativity is a hell of a drug.

Bryke explicitly said that?

Female characters are never allowed to have an arc. It's always just "ugh what a terrible character I hate her why is she so fucking stupid"

This too. It's a truly mysterious coincidence that every single piece of popular modern media featuring female protagonists also involves devoted male fans who demean, insult, and attack the work and its protagonist as if they were personally offended. I wonder what causes this...
pZbD7cL.gif

Season 1 was pretty good and I loved Amon as a villian until the reveal. The ending of season 1 + Season 2 killed my desire to watch the rest of the show. Never finished it.

AoM

This too. It's a truly mysterious coincidence that every single piece of popular modern media featuring female protagonists also involves devoted male fans who demean, insult, and attack the work and its protagonist as if they were personally offended. I wonder what causes this...

Oh, we've reached this insinuation already. And here I was waiting for Quantum.

7Th

Your average cute girls doing cute
girls
anime has more convincing lesbians than Korra and Asami. Mostly because Asami was never a character.

Khezu

Is still worthy, and still expanded a lot the universe of ATLA and introduced really interesting characters. There's some absolutely beautiful scenes and stories there, specially a 2-part episode in season 2.

Fuck nickelodeon for killing the franchise, though.

That's kind of true, I barely watch TV, so what I do watch is usually things I know are going to be good.

So I basically just judge Korra by comparing it to Legend of Ang, and I feel it didn't hold a candle to it.

Nicolada

I'm gay and I didn't see the romantic bond there at all, even upon rewatch. It just felt like a good friendship. There are better ways to subtly hint at a relationship than they did with this pair. I'm liking how the comic continues it and gets to acknowledge it at least.

Top Bottom