• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Clipper

Anticitizen One said:
What is so controverstial about islamic chanting in the fire temple?
This post I found on Google seems to explain it well:
osaeed said:
I understand why they removed the chanting. The muslim community thought reciting the arabic in a fiery atmosphere is not really the best thing to do. I mean if it was like the forest temple, then chanting in that temple would be valid. Also if you notice, there is a dragon in there as well, which also created more issues to the muslim community; in others they were pissed.

If you guys havent really listened carefully, the Fire Temple Music chant is reciting a verse from the Quran. Here is the Translation:

"I bear witness that there is no god but Allah."

Clipper said:
This post I found on Google seems to explain it well:

Except there's credible evidence that the revisions to the music were done prior to the release of Ocarina of Time anywhere (don't wanna click the link summary: debug menu in every known version of OoT shows ROM completion dates prior to any release date of OoT anywhere in the world). However, unless somebody can interview Koji Kondo (or somebody else with intimate knowledge of the circumstances) and ask why the revision was made, we'll never know the real reason for the change.

[Nintex] said:
Review quotes from 1998?

What the hell.

The game lets you travel back to 1998.

I haven't thought about it until the other day, but I didn't realize OoT had so many Arab influences. The Gerudo are likely based on Arabians. The Gerudo symbol was a crescent moon - an Islamic symbol. And the Magic Carpet dude (a Gerudo man? Hmm...) is on a magic carpet, ala Arabian Nights. And of course, the Fire Temple chant thing.

From The Dust said:
Nabooru - the art doesn't exacly make her a looker
Yeah, it's criminal that Nabooru's official art looks hideous compared to the way she does in game.

demolitio said:
I always wondered why they made him a lefty to begin with. Does it have to do with the old tale of lefties being royal blooded or something?
I'm pretty sure it's a mix of that and the fact that Miyamoto is a lefty himself.

Why would you do that? said:
I haven't thought about it until the other day, but I didn't realize OoT had so many Arab influences. The Gerudo are likely based on Arabians. The Gerudo symbol was a crescent moon - an Islamic symbol. And the Magic Carpet dude (a Gerudo man? Hmm...) is on a magic carpet, ala Arabian Nights. And of course, the Fire Temple chant thing.

Yeah, it's criminal that Nabooru's official art looks hideous compared to the way she does in game.

I'm pretty sure it's a mix of that and the fact that Miyamoto is a lefty himself.

Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto is ambidextrous. Link is ambidextrous (in terms of using a sword) in the first four Zelda games. He was first seen as strictly left-handed in Ocarina of Time. The crescent moon symbol is also not inherently Islamic.

NEO0MJ

I actually didn't expect Righty Link. The only reason why they flipped the world in TP is because the world was designed for a left handed Link.

However, in Master Quest, it's actually supposed to be harder. I didn't think it mattered what hand Link used for his sword. So I'm also a little sad they made min a Righty.

Like in TP, the original game was built around lefty link, so when they flipped it for MQ they had to also flip Link. Doesn't make me any less sad, though.

=HERO= said:
There's 123 rupees worth of...rupees? Don't think there's an established way to write that haha. But there is specifically 123 worth. Strangely specific.

Hys2K.jpg

Also I haven't seen the inside of a 3DS box before, are they all 'vented' like that? Pretty cool.

SmithnCo

SidVicious said:
Also I haven't seen the inside of a 3DS box before, are they all 'vented' like that? Pretty cool.

I think so, more eco-friendly and cost efficient probably. Nintendogs has dogs on the inside instead of rupees.

SidVicious said:

Fuzzy said:
Nah, that's just showing how big of fans of Michael Jordan the OoT development crew were.

My roommate still doesn't believe that is a reference to Michael Jordan because apparently he can't buy that anyone in Japan heard of Michael Jordan (in the 1990s, right?), especially anyone from Nintendo.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
TSA said:
My roommate still doesn't believe that is a reference to Michael Jordan because apparently he can't buy that anyone in Japan heard of Michael Jordan (in the 1990s, right?), especially anyone from Nintendo.
Take a pillow and cover their face as they sleep. It's the only humane thing to do.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TSA said:

Well obviously it's not from anyone in Japan. I doubt the JP script reads like that. But as a localization joke it's eminently possible.

Tathanen said:
Well obviously it's not from anyone in Japan. I doubt the JP script reads like that. But as a localization joke it's eminently possible.

Yea, in the original Japanese text is says:
その順番は…231「ニイさんイチバン」だッピ
The order is...231 "Niisan ichiban".

According to the person who translated it:
ニイさんイチバン is a pun. The readings ニ, さん and イチ of the numbers 2,3 and 1 respectively put together can also be interpreted as 兄さん一番, meaning "Older brother is number one".

http://www.lltvg.com/wiki/Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/Inside_the_Deku_Tree/Dialogue

NOA Localization probably inserted the new line, but I wonder if somebody from NCL approved script changes or if NOA was free to change stuff as they sought fit.

TSA said:
NOA Localization probably inserted the new line, but I wonder if somebody from NCL approved script changes or if NOA was free to change stuff as they sought fit.

they pretty much HAD to change it. I doubt NCL would have even have to think about that decision

demolitio

Well then...This is how I become a Miyamoto fanboy. :D

I'd love to have a long documentary about how all these things came to be in OoT. Gerudo Valley did remind me of an Arabian theme. I'm glad I got an original copy with the awesome fire temple music.

Serenade said:
Guess they wanted to go for that Summer Blockbuster feel and forgot the source game is nothing like that.

Eh...Especially the way the Ocarina of Time logo appears...it's obvious they're trying to resemble the "epic" style of the 1998 commercials.

Primary US Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntHVUp7m4E

Japanese AWESOME Comercial (the others sucked):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlc20LlUa5g

The UK ad that had to have a line changed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4I31YpVqk

Alternate US Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OHj93E0X8

Short UK Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhYvJ-9Ntqs

Mexico Commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIOUe5BFE_I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxEgoNrVfwA&feature=related

Spain Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7boTxA6KDss&feature=related

TSA said:
Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto is ambidextrous. Link is ambidextrous (in terms of using a sword) in the first four Zelda games. He was first seen as strictly left-handed in Ocarina of Time. The crescent moon symbol is also not inherently Islamic.
I always thought Link was left handed in the old games. Looking at some sprites from Zelda 1 and 3, when you face up or down, he holds his shield in his right hand, suggesting he uses his left hand for the sword. But because Nintendo utilized the awesome power of sprite flipping, when he faces left and right, his hand magically changes. So maybe he was a lefty 3/4 of the time. :p

I should look at the totally canon Zelda cartoon and see what hand he uses...

Also, I know it's not inherently Islamic, but because of everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done with Islam on the mind.

TSA said:
Wow, that site is way more interesting to me than it should be, thanks.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
TSA said:
Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto is ambidextrous. Link is ambidextrous (in terms of using a sword) in the first four Zelda games.
Are you suggesting they are one in the same? Because I know for a fact that Miyamoto is not Link, but he does know him.

Fantastical said:
Are you suggesting they are one in the same? Because I know for a fact that Miyamoto is not Link, but he does know him.

I was suggesting the "Link is a lefty because Miyamoto is a lefty" explanation might just be a myth.

BTW, just curious if there's any specific footage you guys want to see eventually before the release?

BY2K

Membero Americo
the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds-20110518023755970.jpg

Hey, they replaced the Stone of Agony with the Shard of Agony. Makes since considering it was useless unless you were using a Gamecube controller if you were playing the VC version.

Neiteio

BY2K said:

Hey, they replaced the Stone of Agony with the Shard of Agony. Makes since considering it was useless unless you were using a Gamecube controller if you were playing the VC version.
Well, the Shard of Agony sure looks more... Painful than the stone. Wouldn't want to sit on it, that's for sure!

Now it's only left to see if they updated the N64-era character portraits of Mario, Bowser, etc, in the castle courtyard windows (and yes, there are still windows, as can be seen in one screenshot of Link talking to Zelda).

Neiteio said:
Well, the Shard of Agony sure looks more... Painful than the stone. Wouldn't want to sit on it, that's for sure!

Now it's only left to see if they updated the N64-era character portraits of Mario, Bowser, etc, in the castle courtyard windows (and yes, there are still windows, as can be seen in one screenshot of Link talking to Zelda).

They should replace them with the original OoT character models of Link and Zelda just to fuck with timeline obsessives.

like me.

Neiteio said:

They should have made the shard look like a small 3DS or even a stylus like how the stone of agony was a rumble pak but oh well.

It would be funny if the Mario pics were replaced by odd characters like Captain Falcon and Olimar so a few people would likely start flipping out with theories of the pictures equaling returning franchises to the 3DS.

Also the guard that throws a bomb should update to a powder keg, filthy vandals!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BY2K said:

I don't think rumble ever worked in a emulated version, even if you were using a compatible controller.

Rich!

Angry Grimace said:
I don't think rumble ever worked in a emulated version, even if you were using a compatible controller.

Works on PJ64 apparently, but no - not in a virtual console game iirc.

Under 4 weeks now until I get this game in my hands! (15th June is when I get one!). Can't wait.

MisterHero

BY2K said:

Interesting shape for the object. Good to see new version of the Biggoron Sword, too.

Angry Grimace said:
Actually I think the GC versions did, IIRC I even turned mine off because the GC's rumble (and later the controller/s themselves) crapped out.

I only have Wavebirds now. :(

Rich!

MisterHero said:
Interesting shape for the object. Good to see new version of the Biggoron Sword, too.

Actually I think the GC versions did, IIRC I even turned mine off because the GC's rumble (and later the controller/s crapped out) crapped out.

I only have Wavebirds now. :(

You're saying that like it's a bad thing! heh.

I'm happy I have two of these, one of them still sealed in it's box:

gamecube-white-controller.jpg

From play-asia last year. Was bloody cheap too. And it's a really long cable!

edit: still on the site http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-2ola.html and £15 isn't bad at all IMO.

webrunner

TSA said:

Well, it's not impossible. Look at Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen from 1993.

MisterHero

richisawesome said:
I have two. Bow down to me. (waiting for someone to pipe in saying 'but i have TEN, fuckers!')
Yeah I'd love to get one of those.

My controllers were from the GC launch so I have no idea if later manufactured controllers are more durable/have lasting rumble.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If you live in France, peorder it at La Fnac: they credit your fidelity card with 20€, which makes the game 25€. Besides they always release preorders 2 days before the street dates :)

Madao

TSA said:
Yea, in the original Japanese text is says:
その順番は…231「ニイさんイチバン」だッピ
The order is...231 "Niisan ichiban".

According to the person who translated it:
ニイさんイチバン is a pun. The readings ニ, さん and イチ of the numbers 2,3 and 1 respectively put together can also be interpreted as 兄さん一番, meaning "Older brother is number one".

http://www.lltvg.com/wiki/Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/Inside_the_Deku_Tree/Dialogue

heh another thing lost in translation. i wonder what other things were lost from the original script.

this does raise a question: in MQ, the numbers were changed to 3 1 2 but there was no scrub telling you anything about that. do those numbers have some meaning in the jp version?

snap0212

I'm so hyped for this game. I just downloaded a bunch of 3D screenshots of the N64 version and it already looks amazing. Can't wait to play it. :)

Top Bottom