• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

The M.O.B

Ganon's castle always had that cloud over it, but in the original it was just grey, now they made it
purple n pink
................not sure if I like that.

EDIT: Here is a reminder how basic that bridge used to look like, I love the huge upgrade in 3ds edition.

Project642010-07-1812-18-55-43.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BY2K said:
IGN: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Reborn

Includes 3 videos of Ocarina of Time 3D footage of all the bosses introduction (the white text, mostly), including Twinrova.

What the hell is that could over Ganon's Tower? That wasn't in the original. The bridge is amazing.

Okay, a lot of that was pretty badass. Especially Ganon's Tower. So does the Temple of Time.

The adult link village stuff looks almost identical to the original 64 version, especially the Temple of Time. I was hoping for a more dynamic perspective moving around town.

The M.O.B

Yeah it doesn't really make sense to have a static camera still. Now that all the pre-rendered stuff has been taken out and made completely from polys, we should have been able to freely walk around without constraint.

/shrug :/

Mistle

Should I be staying out of this thread if I want to avoid seeing any new screens, mainly of late-game stuff? Or are we keeping it spoiler free?

Truth101

Banned
Mistle said:
Should I be staying out of this thread if I want to avoid seeing any new screens, mainly of late-game stuff? Or are we keeping it spoiler free?

Seeing as how it is an almost 13 year old title, it really doesn't need to be kept spoiler free. Though, if you haven't played the game before and would like to avoid spoilers than I would suggest airing on the side of caution and avoiding this thread.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Truth101 said:
Seeing as how it is an almost 13 year old title, it really doesn't need to be kept spoiler free. Though, if you haven't played the game before and would like to avoid spoilers than I would suggest airing on the side of caution and avoiding this thread.

Literally the whole point of this game is how it's different from the original. I'd say that screens of pretty much anything that's not a generic locale constitute "spoilers," since the draw here is re-experiencing the game with this new coat of paint.

I'm not happy that I spoiled myself on the new Temple of Time interior, I'm definitely not going to be looking at Ganon's Castle ahead of time. I can imagine it being pretty heavily improved!

Mistle

Truth101 said:
Oh, I've played the game many times. I just meant graphic-upgrade spoilers (if they're even classed as that). Areas like Ganon's Tower or the later dungeons (or any area that's not "common", as such) would be cooler to experience for the first while actually playing the game, imo.

watershed

Banned
Mistle said:
Oh, I've played the game many times. I just meant graphic-upgrade spoilers (if they're even classed as that). Areas like Ganon's Tower or the later dungeons (or any area that's not "common", as such) would be cooler to experience for the first while actually playing the game, imo.
Then don't come back to this thread its full of screenshots, vids, and discussions about the very changes you don't want to be pre-exposed to.

Mistle

artwalknoon said:
Then don't come back to this thread its full of screenshots, vids, and discussions about the very changes you don't want to be pre-exposed to.
Discussions about them are fine, and I can avoid watching vids, so it's just screenshots that I have to be on the look out for.

It's not the end of the world if I see a screenshot or two accidentally, but it would be nice to keep as much secret as possible. I'm sure others would agree. It'd be good if we could keep the screenshots in this topic relatively spoiler free, with the spoilerific ones linked instead of

Mistle said:
Discussions about them are fine, and I can avoid watching vids, so it's just screenshots that I have to be on the look out for.

It's not the end of the world if I see a screenshot or two accidentally, but it would be nice to keep as much secret as possible. I'm sure others would agree. It'd be good if we could keep the screenshots in this topic relatively spoiler free, with the spoilerific ones linked instead of tagged. Just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]
The whole point of this thread was screenshots. Unfortunately someone changed the thread title, but it originally was "New screenshots". If you want a screenshotless thread, start your own or track down one of the other, older Zelda threads.

Mistle

Dreamwriter said:
The whole point of this thread was screenshots. Unfortunately someone changed the thread title, but it originally was "New screenshots". If you want a screenshotless thread, start your own or track down one of the other, older Zelda threads.
Fair enough, that's fine. I just didn't think people would be so adamant towards having spoiler screens, as the graphics are the main new feature about this game. It's really not that hard to say, for example, "Ganon's Tower screen: [click]", but oh well. It's all good :D I'll just be careful.

SidVicious said:
In the German version, it was the rather more charming "Rechts vor links, aber die goldene Mitte geht vor" ("Priority to the right, but the golden mean comes first"), a mnemonic so effective I still remember it almost 13 years later.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized:

I'm sure I'm not alone in this – when I heard Ocarina of Time was being remade, the first thing I wondered was how the bosses would be upgraded. I've run through all of them so you can see them in all of their glory. At least… all of them outside of the final battle. Nintendo won't let me show you that sequence, so you'll just have to hang tight for that.

Nintendo doesn't want the press to show the final Ganondorf/Ganon battle. Surprise? It's a reviewable build, so I don't think it's because it's buggy or not finished.

Futureman

I'm playing through Okami on PS2 for my first time right now and it's getting me mega hyped for OOT3D. I'm right near the end of Okami, and there's the exact same thing near the end... a rainbow bridge that takes you to one of the final areas of the game. Ha.

These are two of my favorite games ever though. I hope they do an Okami sequel built specifically for 3DS. The art style would be insane in 3D. It still looks good to this day on PS2, so they could push it even more on the 3DS.

NEO0MJ

Futureman said:
These are two of my favorite games ever though. I hope they do an Okami sequel built specifically for 3DS. The art style would be insane in 3D. It still looks good to this day on PS2, so they could push it even more on the 3DS.

Unless they get Platinum on board I don't want them touching any Clover series again. Okamiden is one of two games I dropped, ever.

NEO0MJ said:
Unless they get Platinum on board I don't want them touching any Clover series again. Okamiden is one of two games I dropped, ever.

Agreed. I finished Okamiden, and it's not great. It's actually the number one "time spent" title on my 3DS, so that's shameful in several ways. Hopefully that changes soon.

Murrah

Banned
Whoa, didn't realize Okamiden got hated on ever. I agree it definitely lacks the "heart" of Okami, and stuff like the more linear structure and segregated areas were disappointing, but I genuinely thought from a dungeon/puzzle perspective it was way better than Okami. Heck, probably my second favorite DS game; ran circles around the two DS Zeldas at the very least

As for Ocarina, really looking forward to seeing all the graphical facelifts; I didn't look at IGN's boss videos, but I kind of regret checking out the Castle Town/Ganon's Tower now. Should be really cool to see some of the more creepy/weird stuff for the first time on the 3DS

Rich!

I guarantee Ocarina of Time will jump up to my #1 average play time on my 3DS' log on the 17th.

Why? Because it will.

KarmaCow

Fuzzy said:
Not worth it. Wait until tomorrow after 6pm and preorder it at bestbuy.ca for $35 plus 800 RZ points (worth $10 on a future purchase in store).

Do you need to setup the reward zone stuff in store or can you do that online? Despite my disappointment with the port/whatever I'd jump in for $25.

Nevermind, thanks for tip.

Jarmel

Banned
TSA said:
There are some people who haven't played this game yet, so you should at least try to be courteous about the big spoilers...

If you haven't played a 13 year old game and came into a topic dedicated to a remake of said game, then you will get spoiled and you have nobody to blame but yourself.

The main villain is Ganon and he dies after an epic fight in the top part of his castle that he took over after you screwed up.

Willy105 said:
I set my standards way too high. Just looking at the IGN videos makes me feel disappointed.
Really? I think it looks even better in motion compared to some of the slightly disappointing early screenshots I've seen. But yeah, don't expect this title to showcase the power of the system.

WillyFive

Necromanti said:
Really? I think it looks even better in motion compared to some of the slightly disappointing early screenshots I've seen. But yeah, don't expect this title to showcase the power of the system. :(

Yeah, the graphics are disappointing (pretty much a Dreamcast port of an N64 game), but what irks me includes how the camera is still stationary even though the town is rendered in real time, how the music is showing it's age despite this being the perfect time to update it, and such. And yeah, I guess the ugly look isn't helping either.

Daschysta

Willy105 said:
Yeah, the graphics are disappointing (pretty much a Dreamcast port of an N64 game), but what irks me includes how the camera is still stationary even though the town is rendered in real time, how the music is showing it's age despite this being the perfect time to update it, and such. And yeah, I guess the ugly look isn't helping either.

This has long been known to be an enhanced port. They purposely tried to stay true to the original look of the game.

Were you expecting a full-on remake?

Plus it looks really good in motion, and I haven't read a single preview that does anything but praise the updated look of the game.

This game could easily be a PS2 game, even if not an elite late-life one.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jarmel said:
If you haven't played a 13 year old game and came into a topic dedicated to a remake of said game, then you will get spoiled and you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Yeah, their fault for using this remake to give another chance to a game they may have overlooked back when it came out and entering this thread to look for information, right?
Is using spoiler tags such an unbearable hassle that we have to make excuses not to?

Top Bottom