• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Rich!

Thoraxes said:
I may be late, but here's the orchestrated track, courtesy of Zelda Informer.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/06/spoiler-ocarina-of-time-3d-orchestrated-music-found.html
Edit: I should've updated/refreshed the thread before I posted.

Last page, dude. Heh.

edit - oh god this video

When it got to the Death Mountain part, nostalgia hit me like a motherfucker. I NEED this. Still a bit worried about the ocarina songs though:

Saria's Song is now R, Y, X, R, Y, X. I've still got the N64 button sequences embedded in my head. Fuuuuuu

Chairhome

I really don't want to pick this up because I buy too many remakes and I have a huge backlog, but when they announced the soundtrack as a bonus for early buyers that are in Club Nintendo, I had to think twice. Maybe if I can get a good deal on it with some trades or something... it looks amazing though, and the framerate is much improved.

Famitsu: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) – 9/9/9/10

Nobody was expecting a bad review of this 3DS remake, definitely. "The game's the same," one writer said, "but being able to play Ocarina on a portable is really amazing. The hard-but-not-too-hard play balance is still there, and the hints make it a stressless experience. The 3D backdrops also have to be seen to be believed."

Most reviewers remarked on how kind the passage of time has been to Ocarina's core gameplay. "It still doesn't feel old," one said. "The graphic improvements are well-made, and the controls are also enhanced." This was echoed in another reviewer's text: "It hardly feels like a 13-year-old game. From the UI to the game's gyroscope gimmicks and 3D graphics, the sense of adventure here is stratospheric."
http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-ocarina-time

Zebra

Does anyone know of anything regarding U.S. pre-order bonuses? I'm aware of the club nintendo soundtrack bonus, but is there anything else going on? We're almost 10 days away and I'm wondering where I should buy the game from.

antonz

Zebra said:
Does any know of anything regarding U.S. pre-order bonuses? I'm aware of the club nintendo soundtrack bonus, but is there anything else going on? We're almost 10 days away and I'm wondering where I should buy the game from.
Doesnt seem to be any retail bonuses. I am guessing that is due to the OST we get for registering the game

Kevin

I'm pretty sure there won't be any preorder bonuses anywhere other then the Club Nintendo stuff. At least I haven't heard of anything.

Mistle

lol, what's with the text in that Japanese E3 trailer? Bad translation?

Anyway, so pumped for this. It sucks that Aussies have to wait til the 30th, but it's gonna be great.

neoism

So does anyone know if this game will be at Walmarts or gamestops on the 19th stupid ass amazon has failed me. I can't seem to get it until the 21st. I need it the 19th... :(

neoism

TSA said:
Master Quest is locked untill you beat the game, yes.
WWooooww that is fucking stupid... :( i waited to play it for the first time in 13 years, with Master Quest........... Fu Nintendo <:|

neoism said:
WWooooww that is fucking stupid... :( i waited to play it for the first time in 13 years, with Master Quest........... Fu Nintendo <:|
To be fair, if you haven't played any version of OoT for 13 years, you really should play the normal game first. Master Quest plays around with what you expect based on your play through of the normal game. It's us people who played OoT jut a few months ago on Wii VC that have a valid gripe :)

isny

napkin dispenser
Full details for the limited edition soundtrack.

5wezZ.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's not US only, it's NA only.

Big difference. (That difference being that Canada is included, meaning that I can get that soundtrack.)

I'm pretty sure it says "US and Canada" because it's from the North American Club Nintendo. Don't worry yet, Europeans.

Especially since Nintendo said that the soundtracks were part of the 25th anniversary plans.

CoolS

ashbash159 said:
FUCKING US ONLY SOUNDTRACK

Nintendo of Europe is the fucking worst.

Na, EU is getting it to. You have to register OoT3D till the 30. June though. But I guess it's better to be earlier :)

Arren

The official NoE website confirms here that Europe is getting the offer too. :)
Club Nintendo Members who register their copy of the game will have the chance to get their hands on an exclusive THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME 3D SOUNDTRACK CD, featuring a slew of great tracks from the game score. But, if you want to get your hands on one, you'll have to register the game by the 30th of June 2011!

Necromanti said:
Well, the music is "updated" for the 3DS version. Also, WTF...Saria was renamed to Salia in the German version? :|
The german translation of zelda games have been horrible since they got rid of claude moyse. Moyse still did the old OoT.

The translation of Wind Waker was already beyond terrible and the fucker who translated it even had the guts to come out online and praise his shitty job as being a great and unique approach.
If OoT 3DS is translated by the same asshole you can expect many translation fuckups like this in order to be "unique", no matter if it alienates the audience.

To only cite one example from his large list of translation blunders - in Wind Waker he translated "Quest" with "Queste" and insisted this to be a better translation than "Suche", "Abenteuer" or "Schatzsuche" because "Queste" apparently is a german word no matter how 90% of players (including me) haven't heard it before.

Claude Moyse was a great translator who localized content, with fun scripts that were great to read and weren't super literal so kids and adults could enjoy it.
The new translator they got for WW has no idea how a proper translation should work and that it has to connect to the audience first and that there is no place for him to stroke his ego in a translation by making it as unaccesible as possible.

CoolS

Ahoi-Brause said:
The german translation of zelda games have been horrible since they got rid of claude moyse. Moyse still did the old OoT.

The translation of Wind Waker was already beyond terrible and the fucker who translated it even had the guts to come out online and praise his shitty job as being a great and unique approach.
If OoT 3DS is translated by the same asshole you can expect many translation fuckups like this in order to be "unique", no matter if it alienates the audience.

To only cite one example from his large list of translation blunders - in Wind Waker he translated "Quest" with "Queste" and insisted this to be a better translation than "Suche", "Abenteuer" or "Schatzsuche" because "Queste" apparently is a german word no matter how 90% of players (including me) haven't heard it before.

Claude Moyse was a great translator who localized content, with fun scripts that were great to read and weren't super literal so kids and adults could enjoy it.
The new translator they got for WW has no idea how a proper translation should work and that it has to connect to the audience first and that there is no place for him to stroke his ego in a translation by making it as unaccesible as possible.

Wow, didn't even know that. And why wouldn't they just use the translation they already have and just update the new bits??

mattfabb

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:

Your comment is quite interesting. 'alienating' the audience and using unique words is what lawrence venuti argues for, in order to challenge estalished literary traditions. a translation that read as a translation, rather than pretending to be something else.

CoolS said:
Wow, didn't even know that. And why wouldn't they just use the translation they already have and just update the new bits??
That's what I'm wondering too... well but since moyse left I've gotten used to changing the language in nintendo games to english.

mattfabb said:
Your comment is quite interesting. 'alienating' the audience and using unique words is what lawrence venuti argues for, in order to challenge estalished literary traditions. a translation that read as a translation, rather than pretending to be something else.
I don't really care about translation theorist wankery.
A translation should be accessible and be an ejoyable experience, especially with entertainment products.
And a videogame is not the place to challenge estalished literary traditions.
When you have 8 year olds or people who aren't fluent in other languages playing the game and have them constantly running into weird linguistic constructions just for the sake of being unique and to masturbate your ego you are doing something wrong as a translator for entertainment products.
A commercial translation is not the place to be an artsy fartsy intellectual translator... infact it would show a great deal of intelligence to create a translation everyone can enjoy instead of trying to prove some linguists silly theoretical point about translations.
If a translation of an entertainment product fails to entertain the audience the translator should look for a different career.

Also it's kinda hard to tell where someone is doing a shitty translation and where someone is doing a shitty translation on purpose to challenge estalished literary traditions.

mattfabb

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
That's what I'm wondering too... well but since moyse left I've gotten used to changing the language in nintendo games to english.

I don't really care about translation theorist wankery.
A translation should be accessible and be an ejoyable experience, especially with entertainment products.
And a videogame is not the place to challenge estalished literary traditions.
When you have 8 year olds or people who aren't fluent in other languages playing the game and have them constantly running into weird linguistic constructions just for the sake of being unique and to masturbate your ego you are doing something wrong as a translator for entertainment products.
A commercial translation is not the place to be an artsy fartsy intellectual translator... infact it would show a great deal of intelligence to create a translation everyone can enjoy instead of trying to prove some linguists silly theoretical point about translations.
If a translation of an entertainment product fails to entertain the translator hasn't done his job correctly.

what you are arguing for, is complete assimilation. your critique is also translation theory, and in fact for the past 200 or so years, it has been the dominant translation theory.

what he is trying to do is to challenge this. and he succeded. if something disturbs you so much that you need to go and check the original, he accomplished his task of disrupting your reading experience.

PS: "Also it's kinda hard to tell where someone is doing a shitty translation and where someone is doing a shitty translation on purpose to challenge estalished literary traditions" welcome to post-modern art! im in the same boat.

mattfabb said:
what you are arguing for, is complete assimilation. your critique is also translation theory, and in fact for the past 200 or so years, it has been the dominant translation theory.

what he is trying to do is to challenge this. and he succeded. if something disturbs you so much that you need to go and check the original, he accomplished his task of disrupting your reading experience.
It doesn't disturb me, it just annoys and inconveniences me when I see that someone is doing a bad job with the translation that will possibly make the overall product a less enjoyable experience.
It shouldn't be a commercial translation's purpose to piss off the consumer so much he choses another product.
When I was a kid I really enjoyed Claude Moyse's translations and when I revisted them as an adult I noticed what a great job he did in translating not literal but adapting the text to the target audience and language.
The new translator for nintendo germany seems to translate poorly and "unique" just to be a tosser and to spoil the fun of the audience to prove a point or to be excentric.
That is... if it's still the same guy that translated windwaker.
Otherwise they might also have hired some japanese person who couldn't give a shit about the translation and translated saria to salia just because he didn't know better and I'm making a huge ruckus here for nothing.
But all translation theorist boogaloo aside, confusing the audience CAN'T be the goal of a good translation.

mattfabb

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
It doesn't disturb me, it just annoys and inconveniences me when I see that someone is doing a bad job with the translation that will possibly make the overall product a less enjoyable experience.
It shouldn't be a commercial translation's purpose to piss off the consumer so much he choses another product.
When I was a kid I really enjoyed Claude Moyse's translations and when I revisted them as an adult I noticed what a great job he did in translating not literal but adapting the text to the target audience and language.
The new translator for nintendo germany seems to translate poorly and "unique" just to be a tosser and to spoil the fun of the audience to prove a point or to be excentric.
That is... if it's still the same guy that translated windwaker.
Otherwise they might also have hired some japanese person who couldn't give a shit about the translation and translated saria to salia just because he didn't know better and I'm making a huge ruckus here for nothing.
But all translation theorist boogaloo aside, confusing the audience CAN'T be the goal of a good translation.

Are you german? Schleiermacher wrote in 1813: "Either the translator leaves the author in peace, as much as possible, and moves the reader toward him. Or he leaves the reader in peace as much as possible and moves the writer toward him".

for about 200 years, western translation has moved the author towards the reader. if he wasnt for the WW translator, you would not even have noticed this!

PS: japanese pronounce r and l the same way i think? like spanish b and v.

mattfabb said:
Are you german? Schleiermacher wrote in 1813: "Either the translator leaves the author in peace, as much as possible, and moves the reader toward him. Or he leaves the reader in peace as much as possible and moves the writer toward him".

for about 200 years, western translation has moved the author towards the reader. if he wasnt for the WW translator, you would not even have noticed this!
Yes I am german and the state of german translations for multimedia products is terrible, be it movies, videogames or tv series - there is even a whole book about crappy translations:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/3863066308/
A friend of me is translator so I am familiar with some of the concepts that get throw arround to excuse bad or shitty translations, as he's ranting about this stuff quite often.
I couldn't care less about literature translations because I read literature in the original language - if possible. And I avoid watching movies and tv shows in german because most of the translators seem to be translating with google.
But it always annoys me to see a german translation and be reminded of how they suck these days.
The only two famous german translators I respect are Rainer Brandt and Claude Moyse.

mattfabb said:
PS: japanese pronounce r and l the same way i think? like spanish b and v.
Yeah, japanese even pronounce v and b the same.
So translating saria to salia could be just a blunder... but who the fuck doesn't check before translating if there is already an established name for the character?

mattfabb

Banned
I hate dubbed movies too, subtitles all the way!

but some people dont like subtitles for some reason and prefer crappy fake voices (have you seen 'my neighbour totoro' in english? its atrocious).

I just want to say, there is a difference between dubbing and translation. dubbing is always wrong lol, but translation is another matter.

neoism

Dreamwriter said:
To be fair, if you haven't played any version of OoT for 13 years, you really should play the normal game first. Master Quest plays around with what you expect based on your play through of the normal game. It's us people who played OoT jut a few months ago on Wii VC that have a valid gripe :)
Still I 100% it in 1998 I wanted to do that with Master Quest, but now I won't... I was going to buy a 3ds for this game... :(

neoism said:
Still I 100% it in 1998 I wanted to do that with Master Quest, but now I won't... I was going to buy a 3ds for this game... :(
And you remember every little thing about the game from that play through? Every puzzle in every dungeon? The dungeon layouts and order you did things in? If not, then you won't have as much fun with the Master Quest, as that's apparently where it gets a lot of its challenge and fun.

Top Bottom