• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword E3 trailer

RPGCrazied said:
Just finished my TP run, man I forgot how long this game is. I had 40hours just about! They said SS would be bigger than TP? I'll believe it when I see it.
I don't recall anyone at Nintendo ever claiming that. Do you have a link?

Gravijah

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah most of those games have great soundtracks. That coupled with the fact that all the music we've heard so far is incredible leads me to believe the soundtrack will be amazing.

i hope we have a boss fight with metal music

WillyFive

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah most of those games have great soundtracks. That coupled with the fact that all the music we've heard so far is incredible leads me to believe the soundtrack will be amazing.

Seriously. Even Nintendogs has incredible music.

Kard8p3

So I was playing Twilight Princess earlier today and noticed the statues you have to move to get the sky letters are bird statues. Surely such things were left by the crew in Skyward Sword.

I just beat Twilight Princess and I'm hoping Nintendo fixes the problems I had with it in Skyward Sword. I hope the audio is way better and the story doesn't suck.

bdizzle said:
I just beat Twilight Princess and I'm hoping Nintendo fixes the problems I had with it in Skyward Sword. I hope the audio is way better and the story doesn't suck.

Both are pretty much confirmed at this point.

bdizzle said:
In what way? I haven't really kept up with the game outside of a few e3 trailers? I'm glad the color palette is fixed, TP was way too brown.
Sound: The game will be mostly orchestrated, including all the little quick tunes like when you open a door or find an item.
Story: Much better and more lively characters and it isn't the same story pacing as in other Zelda games because of its place in the timeline.

AceBandage said:
Sound: The game will be mostly orchestrated, including all the little quick tunes like when you open a door or find an item.
Story: Much better and more lively characters and it isn't the same story pacing as in other Zelda games because of its place in the timeline.

Good to hear about the audio, TP was absolutely dreadful, especially considering it's a Zelda game. I'll blame it on being a GC game at heart.

I won't be holding my breath on the story however...

Kard8p3

bdizzle said:
Good to hear about the audio, TP was absolutely dreadful, especially considering it's a Zelda game. I'll blame it on being a GC game at heart.

Forging the Master Sword will be quite an important plot element though. Should be pretty good.

watershed

Banned
bdizzle said:

In some ways, outside of story, I feel TP was a great Zelda game for the gamecube but a weak one for the wii.

In regards to the story, SS has the benefit of being possibly the first Zelda story ever, its about the forging of the master sword, and has a super cool and interesting new villian. I think it has a lot of potential based on what we know so far, even if Nintendo manages to screw it up.

BY2K

Membero Americo
May I add that Skyward Sword has one of the best logos of the entire series.

I don't know why, I just love it.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
May I add that Skyward Sword has one of the best logos of the entire series.

I don't know why, I just love it.

Yes it is quite great. Now here's hoping it gets a boxart that matches (which I think it will.)

One thing I like about Zelda logos lately is they always play an important part in that particular games story. Obviously we already know the bird likely represent the flight mechanic now I want to know how big of a role the triforce will have.

Poyunch

I may have given Twilight Princess flak but after playing Ocarina of Time I got in the mood to listen to Minuet of Forest and I found myself listening to Twilight Princess' remix of Saria's Song for the Sacred Grove. In general I thought the music of TP was pretty subpar for a Zelda game but I much prefer the Sacred Grove's music to the Lost Woods music.

bdizzle said:

But the GC had Wind Waker which has one of the best songs of the series.

Gravijah

Kard8p3 said:
Yes it is quite great. Now here's hoping it gets a boxart that matches (which I think it will.)

I can't think of a single Zelda game with a crappy boxart.

PounchEnvy said:
I may have given Twilight Princess flak but after playing Ocarina of Time I got in the mood to listen to Minuet of Forest and I found myself listening to Twilight Princess' remix of Saria's Song for the Sacred Grove. In general I thought the music of TP was pretty subpar for a Zelda game but I much prefer the Sacred Grove's music to the Lost Woods music.

But the GC had Wind Waker which has one of the best songs of the series.

TP is filled with amazing stuff, but eh opinions are opinions.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TP doesn't have a stellar soundtrack, but when a music is good, IT'S DAMN GOOD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh-lBFryPk&feature=related (Blizzeta)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQFLirsjZc&feature=related (Ganondorf's Sword Fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W-aLZvvJc&feature=related (They turned Zelda's Lullaby into a Boss Theme, for Christ's sake!)

And of course, ma absolute favourite of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5T_fASNm9o (That was Zelda going all Clint Eastwood on our asses.)

Kard8p3 said:
Forging the Master Sword will be quite an important plot element though. Should be pretty good.

Does anybody really care about that though? Stuff like the master sword and the tri force and the godesses and stuff is possibly the worst side of Zelda - it's really boilerplate fantasy stuff. I would honestly rather the game be about the secret origin of the Bucket Mouse.

Kard8p3

fossil coast said:
Does anybody really care about that though? Stuff like the master sword and the tri force and the godesses and stuff is possibly the worst side of Zelda - it's really boilerplate fantasy stuff. I would honestly rather the game be about the secret origin of the Bucket Mouse.

Umm yeah quite a few people do actually.

Gravijah

fossil coast said:

...Yes, people care about that stuff.

BY2K said:
And can you say such things when Wind Waker had this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF0-Qs2xkI

I should really like that song more than I do, because it's filled with lots of my favorites things, but for some reason it never quite grabs me. Makes me sad, though it's still a great song.

BY2K

Membero Americo
fossil coast said:
Does anybody really care about that though? Stuff like the master sword and the tri force and the godesses and stuff is possibly the worst side of Zelda - it's really boilerplate fantasy stuff.

Most anticipated moment of the game, dude. And it better be amazing.

Poyunch

The Master Sword scenes have always been awesome. Come on. In Ocarina of Time,
Link grows and travels to the future!!!!
. In Twilight Princess we go through a beautiful forest, meet Skull Kid, and see an awesome cutscene. In Wind Waker he goes to the underwater, time-frozen Hyrule where he then uses his first time with the Master Sword to take down a castle full of monsters.

The Master Sword is awesome. Don't really care about the Triforce stuff though. If a game doesn't have it, I wouldn't mind.

BY2K said:
TP doesn't have a stellar soundtrack, but when a music is good, IT'S DAMN GOOD!
I blame Wolf Link's terrible, off-key singing.

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
The Master Sword scenes have always been awesome. Come on. In Ocarina of Time,
Link grows and travels to the future!!!!
. In Twilight Princess we go through a beautiful forest, meet Skull Kid, and see an awesome cutscene. In Wind Waker he goes to the underwater, time-frozen Hyrule where he then uses his first time with the Master Sword to take down a castle full of monsters.

The Master Sword is awesome. Don't really care about the Triforce stuff though. If a game doesn't have it, I wouldn't mind.

The triforce will play some kind of role as it's part of the logo. Yes though I agree all the Master Sword scenes have been awesome.

fossil coast said:
Tell them to cut it out.

Nah I'd much rather see you go into the lions den and tell the zelda fans to stop liking it.

BY2K said:
Most anticipated moment of the game, dude. And it better be amazing.

Or it could be painful and retroactively ruin everything in the series. Like MGS4.

But I'll tell myself it doesn't matter and that I had just played a good Zelda game anyway.

Twilight Princess had Lake Hylia. That automatically gets it a pass in my book.

It was more of a crater in my opinion.

Kard8p3 said:
Nah I'd much rather see you go into the lions den and tell the zelda fans to stop liking it.

No troll, Zelda is awesome. It just weirds me out that people want to learn more about all the most generic parts of it. I guess they can always make them not generic. Maybe Skyward Sword will help me gain an appreciation of a magic sword.

BY2K said:
You cut it out. People care about story.

Those things aren't really story though - they're kind of things the developers tossed in because they didn't give a shit about story. Zelda games have pretty good stories, on the whole - Majora's Mask/Link's Awakening/Wind Waker are better than most videogame stories.
Anyway, I'll drop it.

Poyunch

_Alkaline_ said:
If the game had an equivalent of the Zora Mask. Oh my, I would have spent hours doing nothing but swimming around in Lake Hylia. Such a great theme and area.

watershed

Banned
fossil coast said:
No troll, Zelda is awesome. It just weirds me out that people want to learn more about all the most generic parts of it. I guess they can always make them not generic. Maybe Skyward Sword will help me gain an appreciation of a magic sword.
You have to remember that Zelda is a historic franchise in gaming that started at a time when most of us were very young and video games were a new and exciting medium. Even a simple fantasy story pullled us in and caused us to invest our imaginations into the 8 bit worlds displayed on the tv screen.

BY2K said:
And of course, ma absolute favourite of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5T_fASNm9o (That was Zelda going all Clint Eastwood on our asses.)
sogood.gif

I also loved Lake Hylia's music. And the Hyrule night theme was incredible. The 6th and 7th dungeons had some of the better Zelda dungeon music as well.

IMO, the only real issues with the TP soundtrack were (1) midi, (2) basically verbatim versions of tracks from old games.

Kard8p3

artwalknoon said:
You have to remember that Zelda is a historic franchise in gaming that started at a time when most of us were very young and video games were a new and exciting medium. Even a simple fantasy story pullled us in and caused us to invest our imaginations into the 8 bit worlds displayed on the tv screen.

The Link to the Past came around and introduced the Master Sword. Such a great moment in that game and something that would appear in every main zelda (pretty much) afterwards. Really though my first real gaming memory is of pulling the master sword from the pedestal in Link to the Past so that could also play a role.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
_Alkaline_ said:
Definitely my favourite iteration of Lake Hylia in a Zelda game by far. The theme was brilliant too.

acywW.jpg

...I also have a soft spot for the Faron Woods theme.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Definitely my favourite iteration of Lake Hylia in a Zelda game by far. The theme was brilliant too.

http://i.imgur.com/acywW.jpg[IMG]

...I also have a soft spot for the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTkM1aucsc]Faron Woods[/url] theme.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Twilight Princess was amazing. Case closed.

Kard8p3

The Lamp said:
I mean as long as we ignore dungeon design, sidequests, and overworld, okay.

The dungeons are the best part of the game. Some of the best dungeons in the series appear in this game.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Laughing Banana said:
..............Fuck it.

I'll buy a Wii for this game.
While you're at it, pick up Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, No More...
There's plenty of reasons to own a Wii! You won't regret it at the price they go for these days.

The Lamp said:
I mean as long as we ignore dungeon design, sidequests, and overworld, okay.

The dungeons were fantastic, in my opinion. I usually don't complete all of the sidequests, so I can't really speak on that, but I can agree about the overworld. It could have been a lot more interesting. Still a great game. I've played it more times through than OoT.

If the claim of the most full Zelda experience is true, I think SS will be the first Zelda that I actually try to 100%.

Krev said:
While you're at it, pick up Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Muramasa, Sin and Punishment 2, No More...
There's plenty of reasons to own a Wii! You won't regret it at the price they go for these days.

Listen to this!

watershed

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
The dungeons are the best part of the game. Some of the best dungeons in the series appear in this game.
I love the mythology set up in the game, the oldness of the hyrule setting even though I don't like the actual areas, the way they are divided up, the color palette and area designs etc.

I was watching some walkthrough vids earlier for nostalgia's sake and really like all the cutscenes. the animations and character models are mostly pretty good. But I have issues with the gameplay animations like Link's running.

The dungeons are very well designed but I couldn't get over the feeling of "same old, same old" when playing through them.

Its strange, this is my least favorite 3d zelda and yet there are so many parts of the game that I love! So conflicted when it comes to TP.

artwalknoon said:
I love the mythology set up in the game, the oldness of the hyrule setting even though I don't like the actual areas, the way they are divided up, the color palette and area designs etc.

I was watching some walkthrough vids earlier for nostalgia's sake and really like all the cutscenes. the animations and character models are mostly pretty good. But I have issues with the gameplay animations like Link's running.

The dungeons are very well designed but I couldn't get over the feeling of "same old, same old" when playing through them.

Its strange, this is my least favorite 3d zelda and yet there are so many parts of the game that I love! So conflicted when it comes to TP.

Same old same old, you say?

Snowpeak_Ruins.png

Top Bottom