• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

gforguava

Masterful, loved this thing top to bottom. The editing, the costume design, the music, that switch of aspect ratio, so, so good.

h1nch

That was fucking awesome.

One thing I'm not entirely clear on

When did they actually switch back to their own bodies? Does her switch power just kind of expire?

gforguava

One thing of note that I really, really loved about this was how it didn't over do any of the things it did.

Like during the sequence where
the words "The Devil With Yellow Eyes" appears directly on the screen there is a bit where we see that there is a hole under David's bed that leads into a very artificial looking tunnel which, in turn, leads to the chubby Devil and it is the only time that imagery is used. Or when David is in the basement of his sister's house, after he talks to ghost Lenny, and you can see that the tricycle she was sitting on is empty but you still see Lenny in the reflection of the mirror, and the show doesn't draw any attention to it. It is in the bottom left of the screen and there is no movement, it is just there.

I already used the term but this really was masterful, which shouldn't be all that shocking considering Fargo, but damn was this good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so was
Mojo
in it like the leaks showed and was he real or a hallucination?

Kaizer

Banned
Well, just got finished watching it & the reviews didn't lie - that was amazing from start to finish. In Noah Hawley we trust. Really interested to see where the rest of the series goes from here, the premier was really strong.

gforguava

so was
Mojo
in it like the leaks showed and was he real or a hallucination?
Well I don't believe it was
Mojo(though considering Mojo's shtick they could play with that without making him from, you know, Mojoworld) but there was a yellow fat thing as part of David's mindscape.

ezekial45

Banned
So is Aubrey Plaza's character
going to be in Legion's imagination going forward? I can't get enough of her and I'd be disappointed if that was it for Lenny.

caliph95

So how long before we go Westworld and start to theorize which is alternate personality and which is real so far we only have
Aubrey Plaza.

So is Aubrey Plaza's character
going to be in Legion's imagination going forward? I can't get enough of her and I'd be disappointed if that was it for Lenny.

I will wait before comic experts like Slayvern confirm but i think some of Legions personalities are people he absorbed so she is still technically alive.

styl3s

That jabba the hutt on a diet creature with the yellow eyes looks creepy as hell.
Is it
Mojo
? everytime he showed up i just kept thinking of that character.

It was awesome until they didn't have the budget to pull off the escape scene.
Not a single moment in that scene did i think "this looks like shit".

Yeah, it's not a $200 million budget good but it was good for a TV show on FX.

Is it
Mojo
? everytime he showed up i just kept thinking of that character.

Not a single moment in that scene did i think "this looks like shit".

Yeah, it's not a $200 million budget good but it was good for a TV show on FX.

This so much. You got to cut them some slack.

castlegar

That was fantastic. I was especially excited to watch as a pal of mine happens to be the dude playing the 'Devil with the yellow eyes' character-monster-thing, and he'd been building up what the costume looked like for a few months.

Holy shit, that was weird as hell. In a good way! I hope it keeps that tone throughout and doesn't turn into a more standard superhero thing (as someone who does like superheroes).

Holy shit, that was weird as hell. In a good way! I hope it keeps that tone throughout and doesn't turn into a more standard superhero thing (as someone who does like superheroes).

Loved that it knew how and when to take things serious and how to transition into the more fun and light hearted elements and mind melting stuff weaved throughout.

neoanarch

That was pretty amazing. Aside from the budget for the end. Lol

Any word on whether there were any named comic characters. If it wasn't for the name Sydney that could have been Boom-Boom.

Maybe I'll post more thoughts later, but again, what a great opener. Fantastic cast, great cinematography, and awesome premise. Noah Hawley continues to kill it. I've never cared much for the X-Men but I think this is the strongest comic based pilot I've seen to date. Very compelling and stylish.

So what were Sydney's powers? Just the fire thing? The body swap? Was she intentionally sent into the institution to try to get David out, or recruited afterwards? Was the touch thing purely mental?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can see why the reviewers said this pilot episode was something special (even if they seem to be down on the following ones).

Too bad about that CG at the end though, woof.

I'm not an X-men fan but after Fargo I'll follow Noah Hawley to the ends of the earth.

I don't care much at all about superhero stuff but this sounds really interesting. I'm in.

How I feel. Not really interested in superhero stuff, but Fargo quickly rose into my top 3 TV shows all time alongside The Sopranos and The Wire so I'll watch anything with Hawley's name on it. The pilot was goddamn amazing up until the very end where it got into more conventional comic book territory. Hope it doesn't stray too far from the amazing psychedelic trippiness of the first hour or so.

I don't understand the "swap" at all. Am I not supposed to?

I definitely think there's a sense of confusion running throughout the show, but that David did indeed swap with Syd (hence her no touching rule) and she didn't know how to control his powers which led to the incident.

At least I think.

I actually liked the way the escape sequence was shot and the way telekinesis powers were depicted.

gforguava

I don't understand the "swap" at all. Am I not supposed to?
I think we are supposed to be confused. I would wager that we are going to be questioning how much of any of this is real from here on out.

Personally I assumed that
no swap ever actually happened but rather that David flipped out and had a dissociation episode(or whathaveyou) where he killed Lenny and whatever else happened at the hospital.

Grazzt

Really enjoyed it. But yeah, it was quite confusing. After reading the comments I finally realised that the swap was real, and it was Syd who caused the incident. But...how did Syd tell him to dive under water? I couldn't understand that sequence where he talked to Syd and then got caught. Syd said she was projected into his memory, does that mean there was also a psychic on the team? And it was the other guy who killed all those armed guards? I guess the switch disappeared because of the telekinetic guy.

Toki767

I did not expect all the action in the last 10 minutes.

Honestly thought this was going to start off as a psychological drama with superpowers for the first couple episodes.

Linius

Man that was a cool pilot. It's pretty weird but it in a good way. Obviously they don't have the budget to make a scene like that in the end truly shine but for TV it was good enough.

That met expectations from the trailers which look like they took everything from the pilot. I'm super in.

Also yeah, strong odds that much of this is and most if not all of the people, with powers anyway, are in his head.

Really enjoyed it. But yeah, it was quite confusing. After reading the comments I finally realised that the swap was real, and it was Syd who caused the incident. But...how did Syd tell him to dive under water? I couldn't understand that sequence where he talked to Syd and then got caught. Syd said she was projected into his memory, does that mean there was also a psychic on the team? And it was the other guy who killed all those armed guards? I guess the switch disappeared because of the telekinetic guy.

All the other people in the rescue team have powers too. Syd just has the body swapping powers. Someone else in the group can project people into other people's heads.

Also yeah, strong odds that much of this is and most if not all of the people, with powers anyway, are in his head.

That's a good idea.

That met expectations from the trailers which look like they took everything from the pilot. I'm super in.

I don't think it is actually in his head at this point. If it is, I'd be super disappointed as I hate that trope with a passion, even though it would fit the character.

-griffy-

Banned
I definitely think there's a sense of confusion running throughout the show, but that David did indeed swap with Syd (hence her no touching rule) and she didn't know how to control his powers which led to the incident.

At least I think.

I actually liked the way the escape sequence was shot and the way telekinesis powers were depicted.

I think Syd's no touching rule has to do with combustion, skin to skin contact essentially acting like a crazy static discharge, which is what caused them to fly apart when he kissed her (and the explosion at the pool). And that caused David's powers to go haywire and he swapped into her body. Then she was in his body, and thereby had access to his powers, and her freaking out in his body with his powers caused all the mayhem at the hospital.

That's how I took it, yeah. She was being inserted into his memory of that point in the present time to tell him to dive in the pool.

Top Bottom