• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I love Hoth stuff, so might buy that on sale just for more stuff, but it would have to be a good deal.

They need to do an ion cannon. With the exception of the Snow Trooper heavy gun and the big Rebel cannon with the flat top, the guns don't resemble the movie.

HqrPF.jpg

uPTey.jpg

Looks like a glorified battle-pack.

back to lego sets I can ignore, good ^^

R-User!

back to lego sets I can ignore, good ^^

Isn't it like an oddly strange breath of fresh air when you can see a LEGO set you haven't seen before from a theme that you really like and after taking in what the set is all about you say to yourself "nah, not buying that."

Odd because you might like the location/style/theme of the set but the overall concept/execution of the build or the end result of the built set doesn't do it for you.

I like the concept and location of Hoth a lot! But I really don't feel like the sets bring me back to the movie in a close enough way...

I think I'm going to watch Empire tonight to see what I would want from a Hoth battle playset!

iuuk

About half a year ago I posted some posts in the previous topic blaming you for buying more than I have room for, but at least I could pride myself on the fact that I did not give in to the modular temptation. Today, because I started to read this topic, I cracked. With a very cheap 109 euro I just couldn't resist. Soon to be owner of more lego than I can store:

I started this hobby with hoping that the Imperial Flagship would be the only LEGO thing I was going to buy. I hope you are proud of yourself. I hope this fire brigade is at least half as good as you say it is.

About half a year ago I posted some posts in the previous topic blaming you for buying more than I have room for, but at least I could pride myself on the fact that I did not give in to the modular temptation. Today, because I started to read this topic, I cracked. With a very cheap 109 euro I just couldn't resist. Soon to be owner of more lego than I can store:

I started this hobby with hoping that the Imperial Flagship would be the only LEGO thing I was going to buy. I hope you are proud of yourself. I hope this fire brigade is at least half as good as you say it is.

The Fire Brigade will start you down a slippery slope. It will look so sad and lonely sitting there with no other buildings around it. Then you add a second building...then a third...then you are stuck buying buildings.

Enjoy.

iuuk

The Fire Brigade will start you down a slippery slope. It will look so sad and lonely sitting there with no other buildings around it. Then you add a second building...then a third...then you are stuck buying buildings.

Enjoy.
I know, that's why I was very glad that I was able to resist. You were too strong, you and that wehkamp discount...

R-User!

By the way all, was 279.99 iirc the cheapest the Death Star has ever been sold for (from a few months ago at Walmart)?

Also what was the cheapest SSD has been sold for here in U.S.?

R-User!

R2 only because of the sale.

I would be too, for that reason.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning that DS an SSD are qualifying for b1g1 at TRU.... I'm trying to decide if I should get one of those and ImpShuttle or or just fork over the $650.00 for the two big bad boys of currently available Star Wars sets. I know that Imp is leaving soon I just don't knoooooow!!

bodine1231

I would be too, for that reason.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning that DS an SSD are qualifying for b1g1 at TRU.... I'm trying to decide if I should get one of those and ImpShuttle or or just fork over the $650.00 for the two big bad boys of currently available Star Wars sets. I know that Imp is leaving soon I just don't knoooooow!!

I wouldnt mind going in with someone else for one of the bigger sets and splitting the cost if they only wanted one instead of both. Its just so hard for me to drop 650 at once on both those sets.

Btw, you may come out ahead if you bought the ssd and shuttle on amazon if you have prime and don't pay taxes.

that is almost my main problem at the moment xD

Naka

It's a mess... I think the box says "Snowtroopers x2", which they have done in the past, but then why show the Rebel troopers separately, unless they have different heads. The 2 Luke's thing is an error, and I wonder if this set was originally supposed to have Luke & Dack.

As to the set itself, why do we have a speeder bike on Hoth? I don't recall that in ESB. Wouldn't an ice planet be cold enough without travelling at high speeds, which would markedly increase the wind chill?

I realize that this isn't the first time they've given us a Hoth speederbike (in fact its the third... weee!), but try something different.

Let's go on a little history trip:

HqrPF.jpg

Which brings us to 2013, and a set that looks like "a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and not a whole lot of new". This one screams TRU exclusive.

Thanks for this post. You did a much better job detailing it than I did in my two sentence explanation :)

R-User!

I wouldnt mind going in with someone else for one of the bigger sets and splitting the cost if they only wanted one instead of both. Its just so hard for me to drop 650 at once on both those sets.

Btw, you may come out ahead if you bought the ssd and shuttle on amazon if you have prime and don't pay taxes.

The thought about the prime and no tax option is appreciated but I don't have either option... :)

P.S. how would we even "go in" on a set together?
How would we logistically pay on the same transaction together?

P.S.S. plus how would we have it split shipped...? o_O

Ironmask

Guys, you should totally dig this speedster from the Creator 2013 serie. So many white pieces and three cool looking vehicles

31006-1.jpg

Enjoy.

I remember when you first got into those buildings. Two threads later, still going at it :)

Yup I also have Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop now.

Ainaurdur

The thought about the prime and no tax option is appreciated but I don't have either option... :)

Send a separate Paypal payment to the person putting down the initial total to Amazon? And then I believe if you mark one set as a gift, you have the option of specifying a second address to ship to. Could be wrong on that.

edit: Or were we originally talking about ordering both sets from TRU for the sale? No idea how they might handle split shipments.

bodine1231

It would only be worth it for the deathstar, but yea, if you cant split the shipments one person would buy both then the other would paypal them the funds once it arrives.

ghostmind

A recent episode of "The Brick Show" brought back a flood of memories regarding one of the first LEGO sets I had as a child, set 671 - the Shell Tanker Truck.

45s4l.jpg

It may not look like much now, hell even the minifig couldn't fit in the vehicle, but back then it was amazing to me.

I decided to pick up its descendant today, so that I have a reminder of my time with LEGO back in the 70's.

vfmGm.jpg

It would only be worth it for the deathstar, but yea, if you cant split the shipments one person would buy both then the other would paypal them the funds once it arrives.

As a Canadian I would totally be tempted to take advantage of deals like this with our American brothers/sisters. Shit's too expensive up here :(

rataven

My Brick Friday order just arrived.

Bowfjl.jpg

Excited to get my winter village up, only trouble is that the table I use for my themed displays is currently being occupied by my modulars. Oy, I do not look forward to dismantling those beasts.

It also came with a Service Station set, and also a small set with just a gas pump.

Thanks! Bricklink to the rescue. It was definitely this set. I think I still have the stickered brick as well.

My Brick Friday order just arrived.

Bowfjl.jpg

That train poly is great.

I'll probably nab the bakery this week and save Post Office along with Winter Cottage for next year. The latter is just so nice looking though...

R-User!

Thanks! Bricklink to the rescue. It was definitely this set. I think I still have the stickered brick as well.

That train poly is great.

I'll probably nab the bakery this week and save Post Office along with Winter Cottage for next year. The latter is just so nice looking though...

I know!

MUST GET COTTAGE!

R-User!

TRU is fudging horsecrap!

First their B1G1 doesn't include Death Star, SSD, or Imp Shuttle or Modulars!

A day passes and they allow SSD but not Death Star. But if you put a Death Star and SSD in your cart you do get 50% off SSD. So DS helps you to trigger the applicable discount but doesnt qualify by itself?

WTFITS! /Picard!

R-User!

That makes sense... I don't think I'll be getting anything today or perhaps soon. I'm going to keep my ears out for when my local LEGO store gets Grand back in stock later this month and pick it up with VIP points.

I think I might just buy two death stars next time their on sale b1g1 and sell one on amazon for 390 thereby making my cost for the first death star approximately 210-230 depending on shipping costs to the amazon buyer!

Edit!: I did not know that amazon charges 15% plus a buck plus a variable fee for selling through them! I'd only make 32 bucks and change for something that I'd could theoretically sell under what the Amazon price is... Hmm I'm not sure if I want to bother with selling through them...

DJ_Lae

Built the polybag christmas train last night as well as the freebie holiday set - both really neat. They're sitting in front of the TV stand as part of the room's Christmas decorations, though I'm wishing I ordered a handful of those trains as stocking stuffers as it's a neat little set.

Duplo truck is obviously going to be wrapped, but my girlfriend was adamant about Diagon Alley not being opened until Christmas as it's technically a family gift (at least, that's how I managed to justify the purchase).

It's killing me staring at the set tucked away in a corner of the closet. I want to build it so bad.

ghostmind

It's about as unappealing to me as Ninjago is too...though maybe a little moreso courtesy of the colour choices.

Ninjago I could understand... I mean pretending to be a ninja has always been a draw for boys at least, but who is this for? The age range on the box is 8-14, which is skewing older than I think the audience who would want this theme. LEGO seems to believe in it though, given the push they are giving it.

R-User!

I'm not getting this theme, figuratively and literally.

Just looking at it makes me go: hmm nahh. My boy thinks it looks cool "kinda". I think we will NOT be investing in this line... Rather have DS SSD and IS than that or most likely any of the other sets.

TV show might not be bad :/

lingiii

Banned
just finished the UCS b-wing myself. kind of conflicted about it. there's something about the way the cockpit windshield is formed that I just hate. however, on the display stand thing they give you with it, it does strike a great pose.

bodine1231

Shit,Amazon raised the price back up on the SSD. I was gonna sleep on it tonight and decide whether to get it or not in the morning. Now both R2 AND the SSD are back to full price. I can get R2 at Walmart still though,but I have to pay taxes on it and wait till next week to get him. I'm about to say screw it and get the damn DeathStar but the way my lucks been in missing these sales it will be 310.00 a week later. I wish Amazon would warn you when stuff is going off sale,especially if its on your Wishlist.

I'll have these to keep me busy though...

20121128_195648.jpg

Top Bottom