• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So, what are all you guys plans for 2013 LEGO purchases?

What I'm looking at at the moment is:
- the Hobbit: Unexpected journey + Escape from Mirkwood + bricklinking the other hobbits
- Star Wars: A-wing, perhaps the Millenium Falcon and X-wing (no high priorities), newly announced Jabba Sail Barge
- Minifigs: Series 9 and 10 (probably complete)
- Batman Arkham Asylum + bricklinking Gordon and Bane (from the Tumbler Chase), Spiderman Street Chase, and keeping an eye out for the new Superman sets and other superheroes sets. It's mainly for new minifigs though, generally not too impressed by the sets themselves.
- Modulars: Pet Shop, Town Hall and the newly announced Cinema (perhaps only Pet Shop this year seeing it's the next to go OOP)
- Lord of the Rings 2nd wave (black gate, wizard battle, corsair, rivendell counsil etc) and perhaps something from the new Castle sets if they complement my Lotr setup.
- New Cuusoo set (back to the future)

I've decided not to get invested in anything else Star wars related (like old Republic, episode I-III/clone wars or other Star Wars themes like the UCS (SSD and Imperial Shuttle, I''m looking at you!) or Hoth/Endor).

Also not getting the entire the Hobbit line, I've the decided to stick with Lord of the Rings only. No Galaxy squad or creator line for me. Perhaps one or two sets from the new City line, depending on how much I like them and whether the fit with my modulars. No TMNT for me, though I might bricklink the turtles themselves. Not getting the Lone Ranger stuff, though the sets look pretty nice. Perhaps getting the Horizon express though.

Other than that, I'm currently reorganising my attic to put an extra table in so I can build a more elaborate Lotr themed lego world. Gonna be bricklinking lots of parts for it.

Anyway, my wallet is already crying, but spreading the above purchases out over the course of a year should be quite doable. LEGO just needs to stop announcing any more stuff I want!
:eek:

You know the other lotr/hobbit sets coming out? Is there a link?!

rataven

So, what are all you guys plans for 2013 LEGO purchases?

Wow, after thinking about this question, it really dawned on me how exciting 2013 is going to be for Lego! So many awesome sets and new lines to look forward too; each year just gets better and better.

Sets I'll continue purchasing:
Modulars (my absolute favorite line of all time)
Creator homes/buildings
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Monster Fighters (if anything new materializes)
Friends
Winter Village
Collectible Minifigs
Cuusoo
Any cool one-off sets like the VW Bus and Sopwith Camel

New lines I plan on checking out:
Castle (so thrilled this is making a comeback)
Lone Ranger
Maybe Super Heros. Man of Steel trailer has me pretty hyped.

Older lines that I want to complete this year:
Paradisa
Wild West (one set to go)

My Lego-related goals for this year:
Design an MOC for my modular street. Every mod street should have at least one custom build! I'm thinking antique shop for mine.
Work through my backlog before buying too much more, unless it's close to going OOP.
Build shelving in my home office to display all the modulars as a long street. Will be tricky with three corners now.

Winnie the Pimp said:
So where and how DO you guys store all your empty boxes? I mean at first it's ok but over the years i imagine you kinda accumulate a crapton of these...

I'm a big advocate of recycling the boxes if you don't plan on reselling the sets down the road. I used to save the boxes, but had somewhere around 300 when I finally decided that it kind of grossed me out and so I sent them off to live new lives. Quit saving them around 2006 and have absolutely zero regrets. But prior to that, I broke them all down and then stored them in, what else, a bigger box. As long as you do break them down, they're manageable.

So you can break the boxes down, then reassemble them later on and they will still look as new then?

This might be a good solution hmm, especially for Collector's value and you never know, if one day you resell a set, at least it will come with the box!

neonglow

So you can break the boxes down, then reassemble them later on and they will still look as new then?

This might be a good solution hmm, especially for Collector's value and you never know, if one day you resell a set, at least it will come with the box!

For the more expensive sets, you just cut the security tape on both sides and flatten the box. It's so easy that theft is becoming a problem at retail stores.

rataven

Yup, just cut the tape on the sides, then fold the boxes down along their creases, and they'll stay nice and neat. Pop em back open when you need them again. Lego boxes have a come a long way. Some used to be glued shut, which was never fun for collectors.

Falch

Very interesting to read all the comments concerning new buys in 2013. Looks like we'll have plenty to discuss.

:eek:

You know the other lotr/hobbit sets coming out? Is there a link?!

Some of the sets from the second wave of Lord of the Rings have been leaked:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37049087@N02/8312560790/

Included minifigs:
Wizard Battle
Gandalf the Grey (hair) and Saruman

Council of Elrond
Arwen (blue dress), Elrond (Rivendel), Frodo (no cape), Gimli

The Black Gate
Aragorn (Gondor outfit), Gandalf the White, Mouth of Sauron and 2 orcs

Corsair Ship
Aragorn (Ranger), Legolas, Gimli, King of the Dead, 2 Dead Men of Dunharrow, 1 Corsair Soldier and 2 armored orcs

No word on the second wave of the Hobbit, I can't imagine even hearing about it until after next summer.

Here's the rest of the leaked sets:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37049087@N02/

ghostmind

Reading the dots looks to have worked, as I ended up with 5 unique minifigs:

Chicken Suit Guy
Mermaid
Policeman
Judge
Cyclops

Now the trick will be finding 11 more distinct patterns.

Chuckie

Reading the dots looks to have worked, as I ended up with 5 unique minifigs:

Chicken Suit Guy
Mermaid
Policeman
Judge
Cyclops

Now the trick will be finding 11 more distinct patterns.

I checked yesterday on some random minifigs..but I see no dots :/

So, my house mate just completed the VW campervan. She now has the lego bug and I've

been roped into buying the Grand Emporium and the Town Hall. Looking at the Palace Cinema

when the it comes out too. Oh dear.

beje

Banned
Never know when you'll see it that cheap again...

Problem is that I have the money, but I don't have the space to put it unless I leave it at my parents (and risk having it destroyed by my nephew).

Edit: I've decided I'm getting it ONLY if I manage to sell some videogames I'm no longer playing so at least I don't have buyer's remorse for getting stuff I won't be able to enjoy until much later.

Problem is that I have the money, but I don't have the space to put it unless I leave it at my parents (and risk having it destroyed by my nephew).

Excuses, excuses.

I'm sure you have some waste of space laying around your home. What, are you still using a computer? It's 2013 man, time to switch to a tablet. Also, I hear book-burning will be tres chic this year, and it's not like you're ever gonna read 'em again...that sort of real estate is tailor-made for LEGO displays!

Chuckie

For my fellow LEGO-Gaffers:

2013_hobbit.jpg

Hope you will all have an awesome LEGO year, with all the sets to make your dreams come true.

beje

Banned
Excuses, excuses.

I'm sure you have some waste of space laying around your home. What, are you still using a computer. It's 2013 man, time to switch to a tablet.

I'm in a shared flat so I only have my small room which is already cramped to hell and back with lots of stuff under the bed, a folding bike, a wardrobe that is going to spill all over me one of these days and barely enough floor space to move the chair back and forth from an Ikea computer desk.

Wizard Battle looks tempting as a tiny set that i could get JUST to get Saruman the White even when i have Gandalf already shrug....

Don't wanna get too far into LOTR territory but Saruman is a must ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wonder if the upcoming Black Gate set will have an expansion set with Gondorian soldiers, similar to how 9471 Uruk-Hai Army is an extension of 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep.

Well, I'm looking at selling some sets. They are used, but come from a smoke-free home. They do not have boxes, but will have instructions, and come in Ziploc bags.

Any interest? I don't want to put them on eBay if at all possible.

Manhandled series 8 minifigure bags at Target for 10 minutes. Was looking for Santa but didn't think I had found him.

Opened the bags at home and SCORE!

Unfortunately I've opened ~ 8 bags and haven't cared for 6 of them. Still looking for the Thespian, Conquistador, Robot, and Alien.

In 2013 I'll be snagging
  • Winter Village
  • Millenium Falcon
  • Series 9 I'm really only looking for the Judge.

Someone in here mentioned that their Lego store organized the minifig bags so you could buy whichever model you wanted. I have two stores near me, I'm hoping one of them can help me with Series 9.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't really have the space or funds to have an extensive Lego collection unfortunately, at work I have the micro scale X-Wing (from the newspaper giveaway) plus Brent's Tumbler MOC that I ordered the parts for from Bricklink. Wish I could get into minifig collecting but with the cost it's not really an option for me. It's likely the only purchase I make next year will be the Cuusoo DeLorean to sit next to the Tumbler on my desk but I'll be avidly following the thread regardless!

neonglow

Well, I'm looking at selling some sets. They are used, but come from a smoke-free home. They do not have boxes, but will have instructions, and come in Ziploc bags.

Any interest? I don't want to put them on eBay if at all possible.

Take some pictures of the instruction books!

Very interesting to read all the comments concerning new buys in 2013. Looks like we'll have plenty to discuss.

Some of the sets from the second wave of Lord of the Rings have been leaked:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37049087@N02/8312560790/

Included minifigs:
Wizard Battle
Gandalf the Grey (hair) and Saruman

Council of Elrond
Arwen (blue dress), Elrond (Rivendel), Frodo (no cape), Gimli

The Black Gate
Aragorn (Gondor outfit), Gandalf the White, Mouth of Sauron and 2 orcs

Corsair Ship
Aragorn (Ranger), Legolas, Gimli, King of the Dead, 2 Dead Men of Dunharrow, 1 Corsair Soldier and 2 armored orcs

No word on the second wave of the Hobbit, I can't imagine even hearing about it until after next summer.

Here's the rest of the leaked sets:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37049087@N02/

Oh wow, seems pretty nice. Thanks for that! The council of elrond looks pretty weak, but I'll buy it anyways... sigh...

wetwired

I'm seriously considering skipping the hobbit sets altogether. With the new LOTR sets coming out I can probably just get the sets that have the new villians in them like the mouth of sauron and sarumon, with those and some ringwraiths, uruk-hai and goblins in an ikea frame that would round out my LOTR frames along with the fellowship one I already have.

There's just too much on offer this year and so much I missed out on last year, still don't have the haunted house, zombies or the little collectible minifg sets with the brown zombie, w and witch\graveystone thing. Then there'll be series 9 and the 10 out in september. TMNT, New Batman and Marvel sets and the Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 sets we haven't even seen yet. That's not even mentioning horizon express which is tempting and the palace cinema which is a must have.

Let us know what else you have, biggy...I might be interested, but I won't be biting on the two you've listed thus far.

I'm seriously considering skipping the hobbit sets altogether. With the new LOTR sets coming out I can probably just get the sets that have the new villians in them like the mouth of sauron and sarumon, with those and some ringwraiths, uruk-hai and goblins in an ikea frame that would round out my LOTR frames along with the fellowship one I already have.

There's just too much on offer this year and so much I missed out on last year, still don't have the haunted house, zombies or the little collectible minifg sets with the brown zombie, w and witchgraveystone thing. Then there'll be series 9 and the 10 out in september. TMNT, New Batman and Marvel sets and the Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 sets we haven't even seen yet. That's not even mentioning horizon express which is tempting and the palace cinema which is a must have.

To be honest the two Hobbit sets I have thus far - Mirkwood Spiders and Goblin King Battle - are entirely skippable, in my opinion. There is something to like about each of them, and I don't regret getting them, but there's definitely much better stuff out there right now, including the wave 1 LotR sets. I mean I finished Goblin King Battle a couple of hours ago and I'm already thinking about taking most of it apart...though I am glad to have built it, as I learned a lot of clever little design tricks in the process.

Bag End is still high on my "want list" though. That's a sweet little set.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
A few days old, but interesting - specifically the underlined bit, not these guys are effectively scalping the market (but hey they are only satisfying a collector demand a few years down the line, that's capitalism, etc etc.)

From USA Today:

Lego investors make hot profits brick by brick

Investors understand the value of stocks and bonds. But Lego bricks?

Those ubiquitous interlocking bricks, usually seen stuffed in closets, tucked under toy boxes and scattered across playrooms, aren't what most people typically think of as an investment. But to some, like David Schooley, Lego bricks are serious money, and buying them and selling them, just as some investors trade stocks, is turning into a way to turn a profit, brick by brick.

Schooley, a 49-year-old information technology professional in Memphis and father of six, is one of small but growing niche of people who buy and hold Lego bricks, not as toys, but investments that will appreciate when sold later.

Just as stock investors have portfolios of all different sorts of stocks, Lego investors hold massive collections of Lego sets. Schooley, for instance, has more than 3,000 Lego sets piled high in a climate-controlled storage facility. Most of the sets he bought years ago, with the plan of selling them a year from now for a profit. Doing this again and again generates Schooley a tidy 10% to 15% annual profit, he says. That tops even the 10% long-term average return of stocks.

"You start to realize these are worth a lot of money," he says. "It's more of an investment."

Investing in Lego bricks may sound ludicrous to those who see them just as kids' toys. But savvy investors can get a big score if they know how to buy the toys from stores, hold them and then sell them online later.

It's not just a theory. Let's say two investors had $10,000 to invest at the end of 2011. One investor bought 174 shares of the Vanguard S&P 500 index exchange traded fund for $57.45 apiece, while the other bought 100 boxes of the Emerald Night Lego train set for $99.99 apiece. The Emerald Night is a 1,085-piece Lego set that, when built, looks like a classic steam engine with a tender and a passenger car.

Fast forward to today. The stock investors would have done pretty well, with a 15% gain, including dividends paid. But the Lego investor would be able to sell the Lego Emerald Night trains for $203 each, for a total 103% profit. In other words, the Lego train would have outperformed the stock market by 587%.

And that's not an anomaly. Lego bricks, have become lucrative investments due to a confluence of bullish factors. Driving the market is the strong underlying demand for Lego bricks and sets. The toys are craved by older consumers, who now have their own money to spent on the sets rather than waiting for a birthday gift.

(Edit: added link - http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/27/lego-investors-profit/1732525/)

Now this year I have bought four or five old family collections of sets (found via small ads here in the UK), to get one or two sets, such as a Black Barracuda, and then sold the rest on after playing with or putting the sets together, and really just covered my costs, or used that to buy more sets. But blindly collecting each set would likely take the joy out of it for me.

That said, while everyone is talking about what they are getting in 2013, is anyone here brave enough to work out what they spent (or at least list the items bought( in 2012? I just looked at my VIP points history, and that alone is frightening...

DJ_Lae

A Sears near me was clearing out their entire toy section buy one get one free, including Lego. Unfortunately, I was obviously too late.

Only two Lego sets left were the Tie Fighter and some prequel ship (red, female Jedi, don't remember much beyond that). I was hoping they might have had an X-Wing or something, I'd have paid $70 for an X-Wing and Tie Fighter, but not $70 for a Tie Fighter and some silly ship I'm not even interested in.

Apparently it's the strike fighter. Not a terrible ship but certainly not worth wasting a buy one get one on...particularly when the Tie Fighter is insanely overpriced in Canada anyway.

wetwired

A few days old, but interesting - specifically the underlined bit, not these guys are effectively scalping the market (but hey they are only satisfying a collector demand a few years down the line, that's capitalism, etc etc.)

From USA Today:

(Edit: added link - http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/27/lego-investors-profit/1732525/)

Now this year I have bought four or five old family collections of sets (found via small ads here in the UK), to get one or two sets, such as a Black Barracuda, and then sold the rest on after playing with or putting the sets together, and really just covered my costs, or used that to buy more sets. But blindly collecting each set would likely take the joy out of it for me.

That said, while everyone is talking about what they are getting in 2013, is anyone here brave enough to work out what they spent (or at least list the items bought( in 2012? I just looked at my VIP points history, and that alone is frightening...

I've been doing this to some degree, buying sets and holding onto them, I have a few of the cheaper LOTR sets (gandalf arrives, shelob), marvel\dc sets (wolverine chopper, loki's escape cube, superman vs lex, catwoman and batman) and some toy story sets (army men and pizza truck) and a second fire brigade in the cupboard. I figure I'll hold onto them for a while, I've had to stop myself from opening that second fire brigade a few times though.

Any profits I've made from selling lego has just gone straight back into lego again so it's a way of funding my habit. I've been sitting on that fire brigade for about 3 years now though and it's kinda turned me off hording large sets like that. I'll just stick to smaller ones, less risk.

Fuck. Just braved the ridiculous Glendale Lego store location and they were sorely out of sets. They said that they had to set out the new star wars stuff due to empty shelf space so teh Rancor was sold out.

A Sears near me was clearing out their entire toy section buy one get one free, including Lego. Unfortunately, I was obviously too late.

Only two Lego sets left were the Tie Fighter and some prequel ship (red, female Jedi, don't remember much beyond that). I was hoping they might have had an X-Wing or something, I'd have paid $70 for an X-Wing and Tie Fighter, but not $70 for a Tie Fighter and some silly ship I'm not even interested in.

Apparently it's the strike fighter. Not a terrible ship but certainly not worth wasting a buy one get one on...particularly when the Tie Fighter is insanely overpriced in Canada anyway.

Mark my words, the Old Republic sets are going to raise in price over time. That's the only reason I want them. The Sith ship is actually awesome too. Love the mini figs!

Fuck. Just braved the ridiculous Glendale Lego store location and they were sorely out of sets. They said that they had to set out the new star wars stuff due to empty shelf space so teh Rancor was sold out.

That's the lego store near me o.o

If you are talking about the same place.

I have both old Republic sets and the Sith ship is the crown jewel. I've put it together and would hate to take it apart now because it's just so slick. If they feel like making more sets from that era, I'm game.

Anyways I grabbed four sets today, two of the new Friends sets and two new City sets! Wanted the Break in at the Museum but they were out, next time! I got a 10 dollar discount now at the Lego store as well.

Yeah, that's where I work. :p If you see "Chuck" on a name tag, don't be afraid to say hey the next time you come in.

Absolutely dude. I don't go often cuz my wallet crys but when I do, I'll keep an eye out for you. I shouldve known better to go their on a sunday night during the holidays

chimster

The sears near my house had a buy one get one free on toys today so I picked up the xwing and tie fighter. Two for the price of one :)

Since I have days before the SSD arrives, I can at least satisfy my MOCing itch. New modular MOC work in progress. I am aiming for a very rich estate to fit into the town street of the other modular buildings. Sorry for the poor quality, but the lighting in my apartment is horrible.

Wall of interior hallway. Diploma, map, and newspapers hanging on the wall.
I just realized after posting that that the diploma is upside down. LOL.

Kitchen cupboards and island sink. I put the mini figure there for scale reference as I was building.

Table near front window. Expensive vase and rare rock on display. I also seemed to find a use for the clock that came with the ghost polybag set.

Kitchen table and chairs.

Storage closet under the stairs. Boxes stacked within.

Completed staircase and railing.

Completed kitchen. Range, stove, microwave, trash, and recycling along the back wall.

Completed first floor interior. There is also a coat and hat rack near the front door.

Backside of the home so far.

First floor completed. Now toying with front display ideas for second floor. Debating between having the higher raised brick on the inside or outside, as evident by the differences between sides.
Also made a flower garden behind the fence on the front of the building. Knew I would find a use for the fence pieces my wife got at a PAB wall for me when she was on vacation months ago.

Top Bottom