• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Alright guys, It has been a while since I posted here. Since buying a house (and items for said house) has taken most of my additional spending money, i have tried to stay away from you other enablers as much as I can. But I am currently back looking to doing some purchasing. I still need to complete my half purchased Green Grocer and I am looking to part out the Winter Village Toy Shop 10199 since it is the only one I don't currently have. I really don't feel like spending $250-300 for it at this point. I have used Bricklink a ton, but what is the best practice for everyone here to keep track of what they actually have for a set and what they need? I was thinking an excel spread sheet maybe? Is there an easy way to export a parts list?

I have a full database of parts using brickset to keep track of owned sets and import into rebrickable for piece database, plus I have all my bricklink pieces and pab pieces added to rebrickable. The site can instantly tell me what I am missing for any set Lego has ever released as well as tell me alternative substitutes.

It also tells me which of my sets I can get the needed bricks from as well as eliminate sets I don't want to take parts from, etc. It is a pretty flexible site. It will even pull up bricklink stores that have the largest number of what I need for that set.

Lego ends partnership with Shell after 50 years:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...-ditches-Shell-after-Greenpeace-campaign.html

lego-5.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this. I completely understand opposing Shell because of plans for drilling in the Artic. It's a bit ironic since LEGO Group uses tons of oil to make their ABS bricks. LEGO Group appears to be doing a lot to make their business more environmentally conscience. I'm curious how quality of the ABS bricks may change if they switch to some other alternative to oil (which they are looking into).

I may disagree with some things Greenpeace does, but I do agree with their efforts to keep our environments cleaner and healthier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lego_Group
"Lego partnered with the oil company Royal Dutch Shell in the 1960s, using the company's logo in some of its construction sets. This partnership continued until the 1990s, and was renewed again in 2011.[18] In July 2014, Greenpeace launched a global campaign to persuade Lego to cease producing toys carrying the oil company Shell’s logo in response to Shell’s plans to drill for oil in the Arctic.[19] Shell’s PR company valued the most recent two-year deal with Lego at $116 million, and reported that Shell achieved a 7.5% worldwide sales uplift during the promotion video from Iris International.[20] Greenpeace says LEGO confirmed to them that a further co-promotion between Shell and LEGO has been agreed to start this year"

Alright guys, It has been a while since I posted here. Since buying a house (and items for said house) has taken most of my additional spending money, i have tried to stay away from you other enablers as much as I can. But I am currently back looking to doing some purchasing. I still need to complete my half purchased Green Grocer and I am looking to part out the Winter Village Toy Shop 10199 since it is the only one I don't currently have. I really don't feel like spending $250-300 for it at this point. I have used Bricklink a ton, but what is the best practice for everyone here to keep track of what they actually have for a set and what they need? I was thinking an excel spread sheet maybe? Is there an easy way to export a parts list?

I second Ryuuorden's recommendation of Brickset and Rebrickable. I'm sorely out of date on my stuff though, but if you have it updated both sites work well together and are very powerful.

Fowler

Latest purchase from Amazon Italy. I am not really into minifigs but this have plenty. The set seems fun.

iVskfxW.jpg

I liked it as a set, tho. It's a Bessa set so there are some clever touches. And I do like that you can rearrange the order of the buildings a little -- I've tweaked mine to fit the small space that I have.

I have mixed feelings about this. I completely understand opposing Shell because of plans for drilling in the Artic. It's a bit ironic since LEGO Group uses tons of oil to make their ABS bricks. LEGO Group appears to be doing a lot to make their business more environmentally conscience. I'm curious how quality of the ABS bricks may change if they switch to some other alternative to oil (which they are looking into).

I may disagree with some things Greenpeace does, but I do agree with their efforts to keep our environments cleaner and healthier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lego_Group
"Lego partnered with the oil company Royal Dutch Shell in the 1960s, using the company's logo in some of its construction sets. This partnership continued until the 1990s, and was renewed again in 2011.[18] In July 2014, Greenpeace launched a global campaign to persuade Lego to cease producing toys carrying the oil company Shell’s logo in response to Shell’s plans to drill for oil in the Arctic.[19] Shell’s PR company valued the most recent two-year deal with Lego at $116 million, and reported that Shell achieved a 7.5% worldwide sales uplift during the promotion video from Iris International.[20] Greenpeace says LEGO confirmed to them that a further co-promotion between Shell and LEGO has been agreed to start this year"

Shell logo is one of the prominent parts of LEGO when I was growing up and I am sad to see it goes, that said it's nice that LEGO took a stand on this even if it's motivate more by the fact that they are trying to protect their image.

I also find it's ironic that the main theme this year for CITY is the Artic Exploration that featuring a lot of adorable endangered polar bears.

Three out of four bricktober sets on shelf at TRU today. Pizza shoppe was the absent one. No Hobbit sets though, of course.
My local TPU kept them all behind the counter which is good because there are plenty of scalpers here.

I got the mini theater set by getting the AT-AT, the manager let me use the 20% off coupon so it was a good deal getting it for $89 and get the bonus Bricktober set.

Grimalkin

Does anyone collect the Winter Village sets? They are my 2nd favorite theme behind the modulars and I started collecting both around the same time. How would y'all rank them?
My rankings (will update after I build the cottage and workshop):

1. Santa's Workshop
2. Toy Shop
3. Bakery
4. Cottage
5. Market
6. Post Office

My ranking:
1. Bakery
2. Toy Shop
3. Cottage
4. Post Office
5. Market

I don't have Santa's Workshop yet since it just came out but I think it'll be between the Bakery and the Cottage. This is my favorite Lego theme to collect, it reminds me of the Christmas Village houses and figures my mom would collect. She'd get a new building and a few figures every year. I build all the sets at the beginning of December and take them all apart after the new year.

neonglow

I export the parts list from Brickset for a set into an Excel file. From there, I mark down which pieces I've purchased and what still needs to be purchased. It uses the official LEGO naming convention so things might be slightly different on Bricklink.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to figure out whether it would be better to sell a set complete or part it out? Eg in case they have rare pieces or minifigs? My candidate sets would be Helms deep, haunted House and Ninjago Fire Temple. All sealed.

I'm guessing I'll have to sell through bricklink

Is there a way to figure out whether it would be better to sell a set complete or part it out? Eg in case they have rare pieces or minifigs? My candidate sets would be Helms deep, haunted House and Ninjago Fire Temple. All sealed.

I'm guessing I'll have to sell through bricklink
How much do you value your time?

Part out will get you more but could take months. eBay will sell fast and you'll get close to top dollar on retired sets, but you have higher fees.

Fowler

The Mos Eisley Cantina set is one of my favourite this year.

It's not because it's a good build (it's boring), or because it's a good rendition of the original (it's too small), or even the minifigs (the Bith band is awesome, but that's about it).

It's that it's a great place to put virtually any Star Wars minifig!

BzhxcSwCEAETXeP.jpg

(And the barista from the LEGO Movie works as a replacement for Wuher!)

Fowler

It's the kind of set you need two of so you can build it a little larger like it deserves!

Yeah, the bar needs to be bigger at the very least.

But I'm planning to flood it with as many SW minifigs as I can get -- especially random aliens. Been scouring local shops for the Ithorian Jedi and Jawas, but no luck.

(Also need another Chewbacca!)

Fed ex delivered 2/3 boxes. Apparently the third one had insufficient address. Bah! It has my opera house. But I can get it at the fed ex hub down the road.

Ryuuroden

What is this shit. I'm cursed I tell you, cursed, or at least the ability to get one certain type of LEGO brick to get to my house is cursed.

Three weeks ago I ordered this brick from a bricklink site.
4113949.jpg

It was shipped and arrived last Monday only to be stolen off my doorstep before I got home.
This last weekend I put in another order for 20 more of those pieces from a different bricklink seller. The order arrived today. I opened it up and they screwed up the order and sent two bags of 20 of a similar trans-clear brick. I had ordered 20 of that particular type but now I have 40 but its no good cause I need the dome bricks too. Why god why, when will I get the bricks I need. Sent out a email to the seller, hopefully it will be fixed, my luck though, it will be mailed out and I will be away again and shit will be stolen off my doorstep again.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
LEGO |OT 4| Where Bone can't ship to home and our wallets take a Tumbler
LEGO |OT 4| Phonciple of the Opera
LEGO |OT 4| Boulevard Of Stolen Bricks
LEGO |OT 4| We shell out for sets while LEGO outs Shell
LEGO |OT 4| Of MOCs and Men

Rootbeer

Banned
I feel your pain... I had a copy of Super Smash Bros 3DS stolen from my building just minutes after it was delivered before I could go fetch it. I was really fucking pissed T__T
Yeah, the bar needs to be bigger at the very least.

But I'm planning to flood it with as many SW minifigs as I can get -- especially random aliens. Been scouring local shops for the Ithorian Jedi and Jawas, but no luck.

(Also need another Chewbacca!)

You should buy the set that ithorian jedi comes in. Not only is he amazing, but the droid in that set is also very similar to a droid that is in the sandcrawler movie scenes (but does not come in the actual sandcrawler set), so not only is it nice to get both but they are both "OT" minifigs (more or less, if you fudge it some) that aren't in other sets.

And... I just love the Yoda Chronicles sets in general so far. They all have nice minifigs and above average looking ships.

My ranking:
1. Bakery
2. Toy Shop
3. Cottage
4. Post Office
5. Market

I don't have Santa's Workshop yet since it just came out but I think it'll be between the Bakery and the Cottage. This is my favorite Lego theme to collect, it reminds me of the Christmas Village houses and figures my mom would collect. She'd get a new building and a few figures every year. I build all the sets at the beginning of December and take them all apart after the new year.

I can't say enough about how much I like the placement of the light brick on Toy Shop. It's the epitome of that "Christmasy" feeling for me.

Christmas season btw, begins after Canadian Thanksgiving. Forget this Halloween nonsense.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't say enough about how much I like the placement of the light brick on Toy Shop. It's the epitome of that "Christmasy" feeling for me.

Christmas season btw, begins after Canadian Thanksgiving. Forget this Halloween nonsense.

Halloween is so damn fun though! I am really in love with the iconic visuals and the spooky atmosphere it cultivates. I wish it were twice a year!

Halloween is so damn fun though! I am really in love with the iconic visuals and the spooky atmosphere it cultivates. I wish it were twice a year!

I enjoy Halloween way more now that I have kids, but even when I was younger it was just a stepping milestone that meant we were that much closer to Christmas.

Edit: But maybe putting out the Haunted House, Castle and other Monster Hunter sets may help me feel the spooky spirit.

LBdOQIpl.jpg

Tumbler is all done and the box is away. SPACESHIP! and Police Dropship were boxed up from the move. The rest of it just arrived today. Santa's Workshop is on backorder, but that is okay.

This will last me a bit I think. I think I shall start with the Mini Cooper tonight.

Ryuuroden

LBdOQIpl.jpg

Tumbler is all done and the box is away. SPACESHIP! and Police Dropship were boxed up from the move. The rest of it just arrived today. Santa's Workshop is on backorder, but that is okay.

This will last me a bit I think. I think I shall start with the Mini Cooper tonight.

Hmmm maybe I should build the Mini Cooper tonight too then, I still have't started it and I picked it up on day one early VIP release >.> Problem is I would have to find another spot, Orthanc is taking up my normal build spot.

Finished bag 1 of Mini Cooper. Pretty cool so far. Definite VW Camper vibes, and in a good way.

The lighting is crap here though, so I will wait to continue tomorrow. Hopefully the repairman comes and replaces all the bulbs that were out when we moved in. That way I will have an easier time telling if I need black or dark green bricks for the steps.

Ryuuroden

Finished bag 1 of Mini Cooper. Pretty cool so far. Definite VW Camper vibes, and in a good way.

The lighting is crap here though, so I will wait to continue tomorrow. Hopefully the repairman comes and replaces all the bulbs that were out when we moved in. That way I will have an easier time telling if I need black or dark green bricks for the steps.

shit man, that's hard to figure out sometimes even with good lighting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much do you value your time?

Part out will get you more but could take months. eBay will sell fast and you'll get close to top dollar on retired sets, but you have higher fees.

ebay rather than bricklink? Never sold anything through either method, but I hear lots of scare stories about ebay so I'm wary of that.

Ryuuroden

ebay rather than bricklink? Never sold anything through either method, but I hear lots of scare stories about ebay so I'm wary of that.

I've sold a bunch of stuff on eBay and have never had any issues. I have not sold any Lego on it though. I may do so soon, I have a bunch of semi valuable polybags and I should probably start making my orthanc more financed by Lego sales since I have already spent so much on it. I plan on adding up all my bricklink payments on PayPal for the last three plus months this weekend. I am not going to be surprised if it is over $1000 dollars already. I have made at least 50 orders. Every time I think I have picked up everything I need, I realize I need larger quantities. It's not like I need more basic bricks (besides 1x1,1x2, and 1x3 black bricks) I have tons of 1x4's still left. It is all specialty bricks like arches, steps, modified bricks plates and tiles, wedges, etc.

As soon as the latest orders come in and I finish the third floor and start the palantir floor, I will post updated exterior pictures. The hight is around 60 bricks high now. Final hight should be between 200 and 300 bricks high. That may be a wrong count though. It is still looking at around 7 feet when finished. Either way, from now on, each floor will be removable so I can proceed without finishing the iinterior first. One of the special features planned for the palantir floor is a partial mosaic cheese slope floor as well as wiring LEDs in the floor this time to the lamp posts and palantir stand. I actually have 3 different sections of the build now that I am working on at the same time.

Wow, so eBay talk led me to updates on my orthanc, heh. It is pretty much all I think about when I have spare time. Just to kinda give an idea of how much time I have put into the actual build part, I have rewatched 5 seasons of Castle, 3 seasons of Persons of Interest, several episodes of mythbusters, 3 seasons of Sherlock and a bunch of shows airing right now, while actually working with physical build. That does not include all the hours on bricklink and digital building while traveling during the week for work. Seems like so little progress for so much time spent but the first two floors required multiple rebuilds and modifications before I could move on. I spent more than a month and 5 complete redos before I had the bottom exterior the way I wanted it.

Rootbeer

Banned
AWD right? I was hoping to grab it too. But with 2X VIP and a free set, buying direct from lego probably makes sense.
I don't disagree, but sometimes a lower price is just more tempting. I'm already getting a nice chunk of VIP points this month.

Sorry that you weren't able to snag it either.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have a full database of parts using brickset to keep track of owned sets and import into rebrickable for piece database, plus I have all my bricklink pieces and pab pieces added to rebrickable. The site can instantly tell me what I am missing for any set Lego has ever released as well as tell me alternative substitutes.

It also tells me which of my sets I can get the needed bricks from as well as eliminate sets I don't want to take parts from, etc. It is a pretty flexible site. It will even pull up bricklink stores that have the largest number of what I need for that set.

I second Ryuuorden's recommendation of Brickset and Rebrickable. I'm sorely out of date on my stuff though, but if you have it updated both sites work well together and are very powerful.

Yea, but rebrickable tells you what pieces you have in existing sets. I don't want to use parts from other sets to build this. I need fresh pieces.

I export the parts list from Brickset for a set into an Excel file. From there, I mark down which pieces I've purchased and what still needs to be purchased. It uses the official LEGO naming convention so things might be slightly different on Bricklink.

This seems like the best bet for me. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys.

Ryuuroden

Yea, but rebrickable tells you what pieces you have in existing sets. I don't want to use parts from other sets to build this. I need fresh pieces.

This seems like the best bet for me. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys.

You can eliminate using existing sets with options in rebrickable as well as tell it to use only the loose parts you have, provided you have kept your rebrickable list that updated. It has a lot of options.

Top Bottom