• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Brick Bank, Rey's Speeder, Lavaria, Avenjet, and Clash of Heroes

Thinking I made a mistake not getting more Nexo Knights. Look much cooler in person.

With the help of that Brickset list, I've added to my list of Lego designers. I have 41 so far, there's plenty of people involved. Here's some highlights (many well known already, obviously):

Adam Grabowski - anything you'd care to mention from 2008 to now. Indiana Jones Temple Escape, Tantive IV, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Queen Anne's Revenge, Haunted House, Vampyre Castle (with RPRP), Silver Mine Shootout and the UCS Tumbler.

Adrian Florea - early Chima sets, and Ninjago sets ranging from 2011 to now. Temple of Airjitzu and both Destiny's Bounty sets.

Bjarke Lykke Madsen - Death Star, Hogwarts Castle (2010), Tower of Orthanc (with Jordan Scott and Hans Henrik Sidenius) and Unexpected Gathering.

Daniel August Krantz - Yellow Castle (yes, the very first Castle set), Guarded Inn and Message Intercept Base (Blacktron).

Henrik Andersen - both Sopwith Camels and Taj Mahal.

Jamie Berard - anything big and awesome not listed elsewhere :D

John-Henry Harris - Volkswagen Camper Van

Marcos Bessa - all Quinjets, Arkham Asylum Breakout, Ewok Village, Ecto-1, some Movie stuff, Simpsons sets, Milano, Helicarrier, X-men vs The Sentinel. Basically the Jamie Berard of licensed sets.

Mark Stafford - stuff from Power Miners, Alien Conquest, SP3 etc. Notably the Exo Suit and the Samurai Mech.

Niels Milan Pedersen - probably a ton of stuff from the 80's, but King's Castle and Black Seas Barracuda are very notable.

Raphaël Pierre Roger Pretesacque - Vampyre Castle (with AG), Imperial Flagship and Spaceship^3.

Samuel Johnson - The Golden Dragon, Croc Swamp Hideout, Doctor Who and the Nexo Knight Ultimate sets.

Tara Wike - lead designer of the CMF line.

Wes Talbott - Naida's Epic Adventure Ship and Skyra's Mysterious Sky Castle.

Dunbar

Looking at some of the new stuff, I would love it if that little corner deli was done as one of the big modular sets. Would be cool if you had a nice open restaurant as the first level and some living space on the upper level(s).

I'll probably still grab that and the Brick Bank though. And Rey's Speeder if I can find a store that has it.

Bank ordered. I'm waiting until summer for the GB HQ.

My wife and I got through the first 2 bags on the Ferris Wheel last night. It is a perfect build for 2 people because so much of it is mirrored. So far this is one of the most interesting sets I have ever built. Today we'll finish off bags 3 & 4. Two people building this will take a solid 8 hours when all is said and done. And the sheer size is awesome. It's already huge and we don't even have the wheel on it yet! It's so large I am second guessing my previously planned display location.

Pics will come once completed, including some side by side comparisons to any larger sets I own. I'm also moving and organizing my video game and board game collections while my wife paints and rearranges the hobby room/library, so it might be a little while until I have a clear space for pics!

boltz

Buy it out so it is on backorder, then put it on eBay or Amazon and people will buy it at mark up because they don't know any better. The joys of a capitalist society.

The thing is, if you were going to buy a set as expensive as the GB HQ, wouldn't you know better?

Anyway, saw TFA last night and I'm ready to pick up some TFA sets. For some of the bigger, iconic sets like Kylo Ren's shuttle, is it possible for a UCS set to come out, or does Lego not double dip sets like that?

The thing is, if you were going to buy a set as expensive as the GB HQ, wouldn't you know better?

They aren't taking chances. And also, making it rare temporarily allows them to jack it up and make a quick buck, especially by putting it on Amazon or somewhere where it isn't normally available to order, as some will buy it not knowing the MSRP or that they can wait.

ghostmind

My god, the line up is 100 deep and growing!

Limiting to 1 GBHQ and BB per person/family. Splitting people off into separate queues.

EDIT: Too many people to fit into the store, so they are doing a "1 out/1 in" buffer.

EDIT2: OK, make that 200 people.

EDIT3: Almost everyone is walking out with a GBHQ.

Anyway, saw TFA last night and I'm ready to pick up some TFA sets. For some of the bigger, iconic sets like Kylo Ren's shuttle, is it possible for a UCS set to come out, or does Lego not double dip sets like that?

A shuttle remake has to come out sooner or later. What is on shelves now just does not represent the ship in the movie.

Scalpers are going to scalp.

Got to pick up the Ghost and the Phantom yesterday, at 20% and 15% off (different shops). Had already given up on them, because in Europe they were just too pricey for what they are to me. Actually went to Germany for the Imperial Shuttle which should have been 70€, but was 90 in store at TRU. Very annoying. Checked their website afterwards and still stated it was 70. Probably should have asked, since 70 was my max buying price.

Also got to see the BR minifigure in person. Was 5 euro and since I have no connection to it I had to pass. My last week of 2015 resolution was to buy no more small sets, because they do not look great on display and in general are not that fun to built. But already broke that yesterday with the Phantom. Why did that ugly thing have to dock in the Ghost...

Bought Santas Workshop at S@H with a gingerbread house a couple of weeks ago, because I could not find the Winter Village Market of 2013 (with the carrousel) anywhere. After I received it I found the market (at a 10euro markup to the normal price of 100 euro). Now doubting to send back Santas workshop, but like the Gingerbread house and do not really think it would be 'right' to return it after the holidays. Guess I will hang on to it till next year. Not a fan of the built of the market by the way, way too little numbered bags (2 for over a thousand pieces). The carrousel had some great mechanics though. Would have preferred a brickbuilt top instead of the cotton... But it does look nice as a table piece and my son loves to make it go round.

TheFuzz

That's crazy, Ghostmind.

I walked into our local Lego store around noon. They had plenty of both sets, but this is also the busiest store in the country. The GB HQ is tempting but I'm going to need to wait awhile.

Walked out with the Brick Bank and the Clash of Heroes Batman v Superman set. The Bank was built at the store and it looks even better in person.

Got a six pack of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and a modular. Gonna be a very nice long weekend!

Tendo

You guys are making me think I should plunge on the GBHQ :( Talk of scalpers worries they'll be sold out soon.

Yeah don't take the plunge on GB HQ even if it sells out. It will be restocked soon enough. Same thing happened last year with the Slave 1. It took a month but was easy to find.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You guys are making me think I should plunge on the GBHQ :( Talk of scalpers worries they'll be sold out soon.

It will be available for at least a year without problems to acquire one, probably two years. Just order one around Easter for that sweet double or triple VIP bonus. You'll be saving up to $50 then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
With talk of a new UCS falcon potentially coming out, I thought I'd share Marshal_Banana's latest epic build, in case anyone hasn't seen it.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118890&st=0

I feel like I need to sell my UCS Falcon this year. I keep putting it off. Can't figure out if I should sell on Ebay or Bricklink.

Also been trying to research if instruction misprints are at all valued by collectors (instructions are missing a page because one page was put in twice). But can't find out if that's something collectors are interested in.

That UCS Falcon rumor has been around for quite some time now. Is there anything new indicating that it's really going to happen?

iosefe

Our store is limit 2 per for both. Hefty sets though, don't know if anyone has taken advantage of that yet.

In other news, 3 bionicle gained. Umarak, Lewa, and Uxar. So excited

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That UCS Falcon rumor has been around for quite some time now. Is there anything new indicating that it's really going to happen?

Other than the fact that they're redoing other UCS sets I don't think there's much to it.

I think it's likely though it's one of the most sought after sets. Looks like it won't be this year though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in line at the Lego store in Bellevue waiting for my Ghostbusters HQ. I'm like 10th in line, should be able to get one. And if not, well then I'm gonna get all the other sets on my list :)

ghostmind

Picked up the Brick Bank, as it's been my Day 1 tradition to get the modulars.

Still a line of 50+ as I leave the store.

Got the February calendar - promos are Nexo Knights Mini Fortrex polybag for purchase of $50 or more (Feb 1-14), and 50% off Friends Campsite Scrapbook with Friends purchase of $50 or more (Feb 15-29).

I'm thinking the VIP early access set (starting Feb 17) may be the Classic TV Batcave. Just a hunch...

3N16MA

Banned
So apparently TRU Canada had the Sea Cow on clearance for 30% off and on top of that it was BOGO 50% off. Two Sea Cows for $315!

Missed the entire thing as I got home early in the morning and then slept through the sale.

ghostmind

So apparently TRU Canada had the Sea Cow on clearance for 30% off and on top of that it was BOBO 50% off. Two Sea Cows for $315!

Missed the entire thing as I got home early in the morning and then slept through the sale.

Where did you see this deal, as Sea Cow has been OOS on the TRU Canada site for a while now.

ghostmind

GBHQ is a beast!

sWecjnq.jpg

My pick-ups from today:

iZ1YL8b.jpg

ghostmind

Easter seasonal set will be 40202 Easter Chick (via The Brick Fan):

GqzFLCX.jpg

I'm passing on these this year, as I would prefer minifig-based or mini/micro build.

It would be so great if they did one for the new movies with the different dish. That is one UCS I would not want to miss.

With the help of that Brickset list, I've added to my list of Lego designers. I have 41 so far, there's plenty of people involved. Here's some highlights (many well known already, obviously):

Mark Stafford - stuff from Power Miners, Alien Conquest, SP3 etc. Notably the Exo Suit and the Samurai Mech.

Samuel Johnson - The Golden Dragon, Croc Swamp Hideout, Doctor Who and the Nexo Knight Ultimate sets.

I think Mark Stafford worked on Nexo Knights. Not sure at what capacity though.

Interesting fact for those that don't know, Samuel Johnson is actually the nephew of one of the Doctor Who's (Paul McGann specifically).
Interview with a LEGO Designer: Sam Johnson of Doctor Who

Ridiculously obvious. A family all paying cash buying only GBs and asking if the Best Star was in stock. Audibly happy when they were told its discontinued.

They probably didn't use VIP card to get points if they paid in cash.

My god, the line up is 100 deep and growing!

Limiting to 1 GBHQ and BB per person/family. Splitting people off into separate queues.

EDIT: Too many people to fit into the store, so they are doing a "1 out/1 in" buffer.

EDIT2: OK, make that 200 people.

EDIT3: Almost everyone is walking out with a GBHQ.

That's crazy how much pent up demand there is for both of those. I'm 2 (now 3) modulars behind now and won't have BB on my radar for about 1 year.

Risible

What ASTOUNDS me is how expensive they are and how fast they sell. I consider my family to be fairly well off, and would have a hard time dropping $500 on Lego in one shot.

TheFuzz

Bad and good news (for my house):

The Brick Bank's instructions are a nice, thick booklet. The bad part is that the instructions aren't split by floor (like the other modulars) so splitting the build with someone else is a lot more difficult.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bought Rey's Speeder (local Walmart finally got them back in). The first, and so far only, TFA set I was interested in. Very fun little build.

I can't believe I'm saying this but....I think I might be done, or at least "on a break" from buying.

I fully planned to go to the LEGO store tomorrow to buy GB HQ & BB but I'm at home, staring at the backlog, looking at the daily mess the kids create with all their bricks and....I don't think I can actually do it.

My broken down collection is fully sorted, I've drastically cut down the sets on display to just a few, and I know if I buy fig-based sets I'll just build & break down the set while storing the figs out of site. I built the Tardis last week and while it should have been a great build I just felt like I was spending time so I could then toss it in a plastic shoebox.

I still haven't cracked the Best Star, the Ferrari, the Detective's Office and a ton of other sets. I can't bring myself to do it for some reason.

Help me LEGO Gaf. What has 2016 done to me?

Bad and good news (for my house):

The Brick Bank's instructions are a nice, thick booklet. The bad part is that the instructions aren't split by floor (like the other modulars) so splitting the build with someone else is a lot more difficult.

Open the instructions PDF on a tablet or laptop. Problem solved.

I have no idea if any promotions will apply to my two orders. The website said that it wouldn't add anything until later, but now I can't check the orders since the site, again, defaults to the first page no matter what I click :D

iosefe

Lewa, Uxar and Umarak built. I'm really digging the more technic pieces to the build.

I don't like Lewa's shoulder joints. That will need some reworking.

Waist swivel is a godsend for posability. Very tight too sob job worries about swinging wildly. A little too tight though.

I'm quite fond of Uxar's gear function and having him in conjunction with Lewa lakes it feel like he really is the master of Air again

Also, I like the idea behind Lewa's long bladed Tonfa, but for posing they tend to get in the way, especially with Uxar on his back

All things considered, I'm digging G2 2016 so far. Time to decide which to get next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom