• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I'm saying this but....I think I might be done, or at least "on a break" from buying.

I fully planned to go to the LEGO store tomorrow to buy GB HQ & BB but I'm at home, staring at the backlog, looking at the daily mess the kids create with all their bricks and....I don't think I can actually do it.

My broken down collection is fully sorted, I've drastically cut down the sets on display to just a few, and I know if I buy fig-based sets I'll just build & break down the set while storing the figs out of site. I built the Tardis last week and while it should have been a great build I just felt like I was spending time so I could then toss it in a plastic shoebox.

I still haven't cracked the Best Star, the Ferrari, the Detective's Office and a ton of other sets. I can't bring myself to do it for some reason.

Help me LEGO Gaf. What has 2016 done to me?

I'm about 20 sets deep on my backlog after coming home today. I'm not buying anything new until those are done. Its just phases. I was burnt out in the late summer early fall. Took a break.

3N16MA

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this but....I think I might be done, or at least "on a break" from buying.

I fully planned to go to the LEGO store tomorrow to buy GB HQ & BB but I'm at home, staring at the backlog, looking at the daily mess the kids create with all their bricks and....I don't think I can actually do it.

My broken down collection is fully sorted, I've drastically cut down the sets on display to just a few, and I know if I buy fig-based sets I'll just build & break down the set while storing the figs out of site. I built the Tardis last week and while it should have been a great build I just felt like I was spending time so I could then toss it in a plastic shoebox.

I still haven't cracked the Best Star, the Ferrari, the Detective's Office and a ton of other sets. I can't bring myself to do it for some reason.

GB HQ and BB are going to be around for awhile so there is no rush. You have some great sets in your backlog. Maybe try cutting back on the sets you purchase and ask yourself if they're display worthy or just going to end up in a bin (useful for parts but not so useful if you don't plan on using them).

ghostmind

I felt burned out at the start of last year, and took a hiatus from buying new sets for a while. Partway through the year the fire in me reignited, and I'm back to my old self again. I thinks it's healthy to take a break from time to time, regardless of the hobby.

I felt burned out at the start of last year, and took a hiatus from buying new sets for a while. Partway through the year the fire in me reignited, and I'm back to my old self again. I thinks it's healthy to take a break from time to time, regardless of the hobby.

This is why I am grateful to have so many hobbies. I definately float between them. My passion seems to wax and wane for a particular hobby on a cycle around every 3-4 months.

TheFuzz

Do you mind cracking open that Nexo Knight freebie and showing off whats inside when you get a chance por favor?

It's the minfigure, a shield keychain and a couple sticker sheets of the characters. Pretty meh TBH.

Open the instructions PDF on a tablet or laptop. Problem solved.

I have no idea if any promotions will apply to my two orders. The website said that it wouldn't add anything until later, but now I can't check the orders since the site, again, defaults to the first page no matter what I click :D

Good point, thanks!

ghostmind

Do you mind cracking open that Nexo Knight freebie and showing off whats inside when you get a chance por favor?

Sure, here it is!

ublekkb.jpg

1 - double-sided poster (other side is promo shot we have seen before)
1 - sticker sheet
1 - shield piece on a keychain-like attachment (apparently from Jan 11 to 15 you can build a monster or hero vehicle at the LEGO store and get a free exclusive power-up for the shield)
1 - lava monster minifig

Looks like Ninjago is getting one of these as well for March/April.

Ponn

Banned
It's the minfigure, a shield keychain and a couple sticker sheets of the characters. Pretty meh TBH.

Sure, here it is!

ublekkb.jpg

1 - double-sided poster (other side is promo shot we have seen before)
1 - sticker sheet
1 - shield piece on a keychain-like attachment (apparently from Jan 11 to 15 you can build a monster or hero vehicle at the LEGO store and get a free exclusive power-up for the shield)
1 - lava monster minifig

Looks like Ninjago is getting one of these as well for March/April.

Cool, thanks. The keychain is kinda neat. If these came out before Christmas they might have made neat little gifts.

TheFuzz

It's early in the year, but armored Batman is probably going to be in the running for my favorite minifigure this year. It's so awesome. The printed Bat signal piece is icing on the cake for this set.

What are the chances the Ghostbusters HQ set will be available next week? I mean I've seen them at the Lego store here for the past few weeks but it seems like now everyone is picking them up.

Schryver

Building the Slave 1 right now. Fun so far but I'm trying to figure out if the Han in carbonite swinging device is supposed to rotate all the way in. The pictures make it seem like it but mine is totally hitting the ramp on the way down.

Lewa, Uxar and Umarak built. I'm really digging the more technic pieces to the build.

I don't like Lewa's shoulder joints. That will need some reworking.

Waist swivel is a godsend for posability. Very tight too sob job worries about swinging wildly. A little too tight though.

I'm quite fond of Uxar's gear function and having him in conjunction with Lewa lakes it feel like he really is the master of Air again

Also, I like the idea behind Lewa's long bladed Tonfa, but for posing they tend to get in the way, especially with Uxar on his back

All things considered, I'm digging G2 2016 so far. Time to decide which to get next

My smaller budget right now is making me envious, but awesome :D I feel like out of all the sets those three compliment each other very well.

Maengun1

Reading about big release day events always makes me sad that my nearest Lego store is 4+ hours away. Of course I can get whatever I want from the online store but it's so much more fun to go and browse in person, grab a box off the shelf.

TheFuzz

Well, Jaime certainly isn't resting on his laurels... There are some creative tiling patterns in the first floor of the Brick Bank. Really neat patterns,
especially when he used the new Nexo Knight shields to create teller lanes in the bank.

kr2t0s

Picked up the polybag version of Poe's x-wing at target tonight. The Lego aisle there is going under some serious changes. Hardly any sets on the shelves

Ponn

Banned
Can anyone in the UK help with the Portal Dimensions level pack situation? Why's it out of stock everywhere and where can I still get one? It's madness!

I can't see that set not being restocked. If you get desperate you could probably order from some place that ships overseas like Amazon or Play Asia maybe? I can't see wny the packs would be region locked, they are just nfc unlocks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Picked up the polybag version of Poe's x-wing at target tonight. The Lego aisle there is going under some serious changes. Hardly any sets on the shelves

I think it's just from getting totally cleaned out at Christmas. I was looking for the Rey Speeder for a week and every place I went had decimated LEGO aisles.

boltz

Same here - also picked up the tie fighter and tie fighter prototype poly bags there.

So I started looking at more Star Wars sets and immediately gravitated towards all of the AT- walker sets. I like robotic/mech-looking stuff, so sets like the AT-TE, AT-AP, and AT-OT are right up my alley. However, they are all retired now; is my only hope of getting my hands on these sets through resellers? Or if I wait long enough, I'll one day see them on shelves again?

Jimbro72

I don't think it's done anything to you that many of us haven't experienced at one point or another. It goes in cycles with me, too. I'll go weeks without buying a set, months without putting one together (despite a massive backlog) and then will snap out of it and put several large sets together and make a bunch of purchases and be right back in a LEGO mood wanting more. Sounds to me like you just need a break from it, be it a month or two, from buying anything. Maybe work on the backlog some as the mood hits and see if the desire isn't rekindled down the road to jump back into collecting what you want.

Same here - also picked up the tie fighter and tie fighter prototype poly bags there.

So I started looking at more Star Wars sets and immediately gravitated towards all of the AT- walker sets. I like robotic/mech-looking stuff, so sets like the AT-TE, AT-AP, and AT-OT are right up my alley. However, they are all retired now; is my only hope of getting my hands on these sets through resellers? Or if I wait long enough, I'll one day see them on shelves again?

They are not coming back to any normal store if they do not have them now. You can find them in Western Europe still at smaller shops and online Lego stores for retail prices. Probably similar in other parts of the world. The AT-OT is rumoured (or confirmed by now) to get another iteration I think.

NysGAF

My son and I built the new Fire Station the day after Christmas. It was our first sizable build and boy was it fun. Took our time and did some wonderful bonding. "He" got four or five other sets for Christmas and as of today they've all been completed. Next up I really want 60109 "City Fire Boat," but $80 for 412 pieces seems a little steep. But man do I want that lighthouse. Are there any other sets with a nice lighthouse I should look at?

ghostmind

My son and I built the new Fire Station the day after Christmas. It was our first sizable build and boy was it fun. Took our time and did some wonderful bonding. "He" got four or five other sets for Christmas and as of today they've all been completed. Next up I really want 60109 "City Fire Boat," but $80 for 412 pieces seems a little steep. But man do I want that lighthouse. Are there any other sets with a nice lighthouse I should look at?

There is an upcoming Creator Lighthouse set, 31051, that will be out this summer.

If you want one now, and don't mind paying aftermarket prices, you can get 5770 Lighthouse Island.

nAHZLJf.jpg

If you don't mind having a less-realistic lighthouse (with an open back), you can get the Scooby-Doo version:

GhRTypT.jpg

I'm in a similar situation. I spend more time sorting pieces than I do building. I have a ton of unopened boxes many which I don't even plan on building. Just got them for the minifigs and parts. I have been thinking about how much I have and that I can't keep this up.

I still get a lot of enjoyment from LEGO, I just need to have more and better limits.

Like others has stated, take a short break. Also, LEGO will never stop making sets until they disappear. One has to stop buying or clear out some old stuff eventually. Search your feelings and see which stuff you may want to part with.

I'm in a similar situation. I spend more time sorting pieces than I do building. I have a ton of unopened boxes many which I don't even plan on building. Just got them for the minifigs and parts. I have been thinking about how much I have and that I can't keep this up.

I still get a lot of enjoyment from LEGO, I just need to have more and better limits.

Like others has stated, take a short break. Also, LEGO will never stop making sets until they disappear. One has to stop buying or clear out some old stuff eventually. Search your feelings and see which stuff you may want to part with.

LOL, i'm at a point where i don't even bother sorting anymore but i throw everything into bins that i then stock somewhere else, thinking that SOME DAY i will sort it all (yeah right) :(

Then when i DO find some time to work on an MOC, i get frustrated every single time how i can't find this piece or that piece because i was too lazy to sort them earlier on.

Anyway, that said, i just built the Scooby Lighthouse and it was just as great as expected, albeit a bit on the small side.

Also: Gotta love sitting Scooby that came with it

sLEnZG0.jpg

After watching TFA I'm thinking about buying the Death Star, just because it's no longer available at Lego but can still be bought at prices without markup right now.

Not sure how long stock will last at retailers, after that it's going to get expensive I guess.

Osahi

With all the coupons and gift cards I received for the loval toy store I managed to get Kylo's shuttle for 50 euros! Had 55 in credit that I could detract from the allready discounted price (105 from 130)

/

With all the coupons and gift cards I received for the loval toy store I managed to get Kylo's shuttle for 50 euros! Had 55 in credit that I could detract from the allready discounted price (105 from 130)

/

I built it yesterday. Fun set. After modifying the wings and building a stand to display it in flight mode, I'm happy with the result.

Lewa, Uxar and Umarak built. I'm really digging the more technic pieces to the build.

I don't like Lewa's shoulder joints. That will need some reworking.

Waist swivel is a godsend for posability. Very tight too sob job worries about swinging wildly. A little too tight though.

I'm quite fond of Uxar's gear function and having him in conjunction with Lewa lakes it feel like he really is the master of Air again

Also, I like the idea behind Lewa's long bladed Tonfa, but for posing they tend to get in the way, especially with Uxar on his back

All things considered, I'm digging G2 2016 so far. Time to decide which to get next

I got Tahu + Ikir soley for his united form, and am thinking about getting either lewa or Umarak. Which do you recommend? Umarsk looks cool but im not a fan of the gappiness in his shoulders and his weapon is nearly identical to skull warrior.

Osahi

JANG reviews 60130 Prison Island:

http://youtu.be/Fv7i4EpEAmI

I'm really digging the CITY version of Alcatraz, and this will be my first CITY police set pick-up in several years.

Yeah. Really cool. If I had a boy, he would get this definitely (and daddy would,have some fun too!) But I am not starting with City themes, as i feel the display value is usually less (and for good reason, these sets are all about play value)

Putting it on an island was a smart way to differentiate the set from past police stations. The swamp theme was smart too, but there's no other swamp stuff to go with it. Meanwhile, my urge to make a boat/aquatic display area is growing because there is so much of it.

iosefe

I got Tahu + Ikir soley for his united form, and am thinking about getting either lewa or Umarak. Which do you recommend? Umarsk looks cool but im not a fan of the gappiness in his shoulders and his weapon is nearly identical to skull warrior.

shoulder gap isn't a problem if you position the shoulder armor in a good way, at least from the front. but at that point, clip a creaturer onto him and he is pperfectly full bodied and fleshed out.
i think Ikir is a suitable replacement, would have to take another look at it, but you can get the same effect i think.

all in all, since you already have Tahu, you should go for the villian, set up your battles and then spring for another pair

Ponn

Banned
Putting it on an island was a smart way to differentiate the set from past police stations. The swamp theme was smart too, but there's no other swamp stuff to go with it. Meanwhile, my urge to make a boat/aquatic display area is growing because there is so much of it.

Time to make use of that valuable fish tank space.

boltz

They are not coming back to any normal store if they do not have them now. You can find them in Western Europe still at smaller shops and online Lego stores for retail prices. Probably similar in other parts of the world. The AT-OT is rumoured (or confirmed by now) to get another iteration I think.

Woohoo, I was able to find an AT-DP and AT-AP locally via craigslist for $95 total! Now I'm looking for the rest of the "AT-" sets, but it feels kinda funny paying over retail since most of the stuff I've been buying has been with some sort of discount up to now. But the markups aren't too bad, so I can stomach it.

Hope you are right about the AT-OT, as I'm definitely not paying ~$500 for the AT-OT&Transport set!

How do you guys handle acquiring retired sets? Bite the bullet and the mark ups? Patiently lurk craigslist for a deal? Or just swear off anything retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom