• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

In other brand news, Mattel has renamed Mega Bloks to Mega Construx for all of their "collector" themes, such as Halo, Destiny, and Call of Duty. It appears that "basic" themes aimed at younger kids will still keep the Mega Bloks name.

Construx has its own history as a brand, as it was a "beam-based" competitor to LEGO in the 1980's.

So i've just built that Elves Waterdragon i got on clearance the other day:

Minifig Hulk shenanigans ensued...

WW0QfvY.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Really cool Winnie!

I have that set and I gotta say I'm a pretty big fan of those buildable dragons. works out well.

I need to get the green one before it disappears from shelves.

For one I just love green. And it appears to be the only 'male' dragon from all of the elves dragons. I have the blue one, they would go nice together.

In other brand news, Mattel has renamed Mega Bloks to Mega Construx for all of their "collector" themes, such as Halo, Destiny, and Call of Duty. It appears that "basic" themes aimed at younger kids will still keep the Mega Bloks name.

Construx has its own history as a brand, as it was a "beam-based" competitor to LEGO in the 1980's.

Strange to do it at this moment, now that Mega Bloks has been getting a better name for themselves and all. Now for the average consumer they are no longer the first Lego-like they will think of, but one of many. Odd choice.

So i've just built that Elves Waterdragon i got on clearance the other day:

Minifig Hulk shenanigans ensued...

WW0QfvY.jpg
That looks awesome. Bought this one in a 2+1 sale last week (not much other choice). Still a bit on the edge if I will built this with my boy or give it away. It looks quite nice.

Osahi

Collider has a new pic from The LEGO Batman movie with some vehicles I worked on in it.

I did the Batmobile on the right, the hovercraft behind it and the big Bat Ship, took me a while remember but I didn't do any aircraft so the rest were easy to figure out
Looks great. I hope some of it makes it into sets. That ship looks neat! And the Batmobile is slick .

In slightly related news: i received Echo-1 today. Once Slave-1 is finished I'll build it. Looking forward to it!

Why can you all see that ship and i can't really make it out?

Too much dark and shiny colors at once, plus the pic is really small hmm... are you talking about the one on the upper left part? That looks really small though?

Also: I just bought Resistance Troop Transporter for like 44 euro on amazon.de (on sale currently) welp. I wasn't gonna get it but after all the praise here by a bunch of certain filthy filthy enablers, i just had to this time ugh.

Too much dark and shiny colors at once, plus the pic is really small hmm... are you talking about the one on the upper left part? That looks really small though?

Also: I just bought Resistance Troop Transporter for like 44 euro on amazon.de (on sale currently) welp. I wasn't gonna get it but after all the praise here by a bunch of certain filthy filthy enablers, i just had to this time ugh.

If you click on the image, even in the one in the link it becomes huge. TWSS May act differently if on a table or smartphone. *shrug*
Also, the ship MOC isn't huge by any means. I think the person that compared it to Sea Cow just meant in style.

Congrats on the Resistance Troop Transporter. I only bought it on a really good sale and recommend it only when on sale. After the fun build, it makes a great light grey parts pack.
You also get a big bonus: Admiral Akbar with a cup!

The Bat ship is the new Sea Cow! I want!

I sincerely doubt that.. the Sea Cow catered to a lego crowd and theme that has been absent for a very long time (Pirates), the Bat ship is.. I don't know. At least it has zero appeal to me whatsoever, can't see it become a classic at all to be honest.

Amazing price. You won't be disappointed.

If you click on the image, even in the one in the link it becomes huge. TWSS May act differently if on a table or smartphone. *shrug*
Also, the ship MOC isn't huge by any means. I think the person that compared it to Sea Cow just meant in style.

Congrats on the Resistance Troop Transporter. I only bought it on a really good sale and recommend it only when on sale. After the fun build, it makes a great light grey parts pack.
You also get a big bonus: Admiral Akbar with a cup!

I figured it out now... Actually if you click on the first pic in the link it does NOT get huge (not for me at least on my laptop) but if you click on the second pic, that one DOES go big so not sure what's up with that...

Anyway i saw and yeah, it would have to be a WHOLE lot bigger and more detailed to even begin thinking about rivaling the Sea Cow :p I'll ive you style though...

RTT may even stay on display later, i'm a sucker for sets that you wouldn't normally get and display because they're so obscure/unpopular...

Yagharek

Does anyone here have any experience with the Architecture Studio set? Is there a good variety of pieces in there and or no obvious shortfalls?

I dont have an architectural background but the idea of a good variety of bits and pieces for playing around with geometric shapes is something that appeals to me for some reason. Maybe its a zen thing haha.

Osahi

Oh man. Really tempted by the Resistance Troop Transporter now. Almost bit the bullet at the 55 euro price it was on before. It's just, I don't like the look of the ship that much (and I allready have an Ackbar). But then again, the build should be awesome and Old Leia...

They have the Rogue One sets at low prices too btw. 38 for the AT-ST, 55 for the Tie Striker, 80 for Kenricks...

Plum

Just asked for the Palace Cinema for Christmas as my first modular. Is that a wise choice or should I ask for the Pet Shop instead? I'd prefer the Cinema but I'm worried that I might regret not getting the Pet Shop when I could even though I'm not that much of a fan of its design.

After Christmas I'm planning to get the Parisian Restaraunt and Assembly Square then lay off the Modulars for a while.

Get the Pet Shop. It's retiring and by all accounts, better.

Modular buildings are a hard theme to not want lots of when you've bought your first one.

Collider has a new pic from The LEGO Batman movie with some vehicles I worked on in it.

I did the Batmobile on the right, the hovercraft behind it and the big Bat Ship, took me a while remember but I didn't do any aircraft so the rest were easy to figure out

Wetwired, those are fantastic. Can you talk about the process or do you know how your models were made into assets for the movie? Did you have to actually be able to physically build it, with legal (-ish) connections, or did you do it in something like LDD and turn over a file to them? I've been super curious since you mentioned that you were working on it.

wetwired

Wetwired, those are fantastic. Can you talk about the process or do you know how your models were made into assets for the movie? Did you have to actually be able to physically build it, with legal (-ish) connections, or did you do it in something like LDD and turn over a file to them? I've been super curious since you mentioned that you were working on it.

I can talk about some things, to a degree. I have no idea what assets of mine made the final cut. I just have to watch trailers and the pics like above. I'll be keeping a keen eye out in the cinema when I go see it.

I didn't physically build it (except for the Burton Batmobile cause I couldn't resist) I use something like LDD to design them and send them through. I'll be able to talk more once the movie is out. But some of the things I worked on I think Batman fans will get a big kick out of seeing if they make the cut.

Plum

"Soon."

I imagine you'll be okay before Christmas, if not from LEGO then from somewhere at retail, but you couldn't leave it much longer than that.

Maybe today, maybe in six months. We never know for certain. But we know that within six months of retirement, it will have doubled in price.

Alright, thanks! I've had a look at my personal finances and it seems like I can simply buy it myself without having to worry about changing what I ask for (personally I think the Palace Cinema looks better, but maybe that's my bias towards film related things). Got a shelf in my room here at uni that will be perfect for a Lego Street like that.

TheFuzz

If you're starting modulars, buy the Pet Shop first but build the Palace Cinema first if you can. Cinema is a fun build, but it seems like more of a chore after you have built the others.

Plum

If you're starting modulars, buy the Pet Shop first but build the Palace Cinema first if you can. Cinema is a fun build, but it seems like more of a chore after you have built the others.

Well since I won't have the Cinema until Christmas that's not an option I'm afraid! What do you mean it seems like a chore? I won't be getting Assembly Square and the Restaraunt until January or so.

TheFuzz

Well since I won't have the Cinema until Christmas that's not an option I'm afraid! What do you mean it seems like a chore? I won't be getting Assembly Square and the Restaraunt until January or so.

"Chore" being a relative term, but aside from the signage up front and the marquee, there's not any neat techniques or tricks in the build. It's mostly just brick on top of brick on top of brick. Modulars are great because of their final look and the inventive part usage. This one has a nice look but it's just a mundane build.

Parisian is one of the best Lego sets ever made IMO.

Plum

"Chore" being a relative term, but aside from the signage up front and the marquee, there's not any neat techniques or tricks in the build. It's mostly just brick on top of brick on top of brick. Modulars are great because of their final look and the inventive part usage. This one has a nice look but it's just a mundane build.

Parisian is one of the best Lego sets ever made IMO.

Ah, that shouldn't be too much of an issue since I don't really find those sorts of sets a chore, and I seriously doubt it'll be worse than Tower Bridge was to build (not that building that was bad, mind you).

And yeah, Parisian does look amazing. I might skip Assembly Square and just buy that after Christmas instead, I don't really want my collection getting too big just yet mainly for transportation purposes.

Plum

Just ordered Pet Shop and the Star Wars Advent Calendar. Hope it ships when it says (Nov. 2nd) but I'm not too fussed. Really surprised with the value of the freebie this time, an actual box and 250 pieces is really great.

I'm gonna get sucked into Modulars now, aren't I?

ghostmind

Finally picked up the "Assault on Hoth" set.

As a Star Wars completionist it was inevitable, but considering I picked it up for $120 plus 2xVIP plus the Holiday Build promo set, this was probably the most ideal time to jump.

Finally picked up the "Assault on Hoth" set.

As a Star Wars completionist it was inevitable, but considering I picked it up for $120 plus 2xVIP plus the Holiday Build promo set, this was probably the most ideal time to jump.
$120!? Redeemed VIP or some crazy sale we need to know about?

May have already been answered, but when does the new modular come out? It would fit on my shelf perfectly, with only one problem.. I have 3 corner pieces now.... So.. that will not work.

I find myself strangely gravitating towards Prison Island whenever i see it on sale hmm...

Does anyone here actually own it and has it displayed or something? I don't even know what i'd actually do with the thing, City is usually a dull theme for displays compared to stuff like modulars and what not but this one is calling out to me somehow....

Plum

So the pages for Pet Shop and the Sydney Opera House say that they're available for back-order and will ship by the 2nd of November. Does this mean that my order of the former is guaranteed to ship around that data or is that just an estimate?

I find myself strangely gravitating towards Prison Island whenever i see it on sale hmm...

Does anyone here actually own it and has it displayed or something? I don't even know what i'd actually do with the thing, City is usually a dull theme for displays compared to stuff like modulars and what not but this one is calling out to me somehow....

i understand where you're coming from. the idea of a blackgate for my superheroes to drop fools in is so tempting

ghostmind

TRU Canada deals - starting this Friday:

DjyrNNl.jpg

20% off Angry Birds
20% off Scooby-Doo
20% off Jurassic World
20% off Friends ($39.99 and under)

Plum

So I can either keep my Lego Shop order of the Pet Shop, gain close to 300 VIP points yet have to wait and hope that it comes back into stock by November 2nd; or I can buy it right now from John Lewis for the same price and guaranteed delivery yet lose those 290-or-so VIP points.

What do?

So I can either keep my Lego Shop order of the Pet Shop, gain close to 300 VIP points yet have to wait and hope that it comes back into stock by November 2nd; or I can buy it right now from John Lewis for the same price and guaranteed delivery yet lose those 290-or-so VIP points.

What do?

Keep the order. Don't forget your free Christmas 24-in-1 set too.

That John Lewis one will still be there on November 3rd if you need it.

Plum

Keep the order. Don't forget your free Christmas 24-in-1 set too.

That John Lewis one will still be there on November 3rd if you need it.

I hope so, I'm really getting to like the look of this set and I don't want to miss out. Do back-orders usually get fulfilled? Has anyone had any experience with doing so before?

I can't believe this Ninjago Cole minifig goes for $7.99 MSRP at TRU!!!
I'm sure it's TRU jacked up pricing and it's an exclusive. Similar to how they put a $20 price on the minifig packs and micro builds they did for promos which are also way overpriced IMO.

I'd pay $7.99 per minifig if they were super hero minifigs variations for comic book geeks. Various versions from different comic book eras. Same goes for tons of other IPs that most likely won't ever be made into sets.

It is also a unique print so I'll probably pay out that outrageous price. I feel like I'm paying aftermarket price for 1 minifig.

Set 5004393: Cole

27309708313_efa641ecfb_n.jpg

Lego 5004393 - Ninjago Cole Exclusive Package by Gnaat Lego, on Flickr

EDIT:
I'd easily pay $8 up to $10 for official LEGO minifigs like this:

Drives me crazy seeing really good custom minifigs wishing LEGO would do them.

Speaking of Christo custom minifigs from a few days ago. I kinda like this for a minifig scale clayface. Seems like a custom mould. If it is a LEGO mould I can't place what minifig it comes from.

Few more custom minifigs here

27998890523_a681e108bb.jpg

Lego Clayface custom by Christo by Gnaat Lego, on Flickr

I hope this one makes it to LEGO Batman movie CMFs. It's a classic Batman costume from the crazy golden age days.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114676176@N08/24142480324/in/album-72157664165759456/
24142480324_01655e0dc4.jpg

Zebra Batman - Lego Christo's Custom by Gnaat Lego, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom