• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known N64 games you loved back in the day

-KRS-

I've bought both Beetle Adventure Racing and Shadow Man based on GAF recommendations in the past, but I just don't see it...

Shadow Man is a horrible game today. Clunky tank controls, boring brown graphics, stiff and awkward animations, bad framerate, hilariously bad story. I think that sums it up. I couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes.

Beetle Adventure Racing is way better than Shadow Man from a gameplay perspective, but it still didn't click with me for some reason. I've only played it once since I bought it and haven't felt like playing it again either.

Edit: I suspect Beetle Adventure Racing is WAY better once you play it with your friends. I guess that's where the fun is in that game. Only played it by myself so far.

Boerseun

Banned
Dizzy said:
dukenukem64tb0.jpg

^BEST version

Heck no! Best graphics, yes. But the N64 version contains NO MUSIC. How in the heck Duke Nukem 3D/64 is supposed to work without its mood-setting musical score no one will ever know.

Boerseun said:
Heck no! Best graphics, yes. But the N64 version contains NO MUSIC. How in the heck Duke Nukem 3D/64 is supposed to work without its mood-setting musical score no one will ever know.

8 meg cart + the amount of speech in the game = no music other than the title screen.

I just had to come in here and post my impressions of Hybrid Heaven. I'm actually really enjoying the game so far, despite the obvious flaws it may have. Strangely enough this game was shit on back when it was released for its bland environments, touch controls and repetitive level design. But despite all that I love the atmosphere and the turn-based combat. There's also something hypnotic about the game that makes it particularly engrossing. It really makes me wonder what a Metal Gear game would have been like and whether this studio could have pulled it off.

Mik2121

Jesus, what's going on in this thread?

Turok? Shadowman? Goemon? I thought we were talking about the "lesser known games". Unless anything not Nintendo or first party game automatically became "lesser known" all of a sudden.

I'll go with Re-volt. And that South Park (FPS) game. It was so stupid.. haha :_)

Neo Child

Banned
Gunloc said:
I hate that they made the chameleon look like an actual (cartoony) chameleon in the second game. I miss the weird, blue space alien thing from the original.

QFT. Chameleon Twist 1 was great, amazing music, especially at the end credits (up there with Mario 64 end credit music). CT2 was... I didn't even bother playing it all the way through, thought it was too shit.

Mike M

Nick N
Gooster said:
I am watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look for Sega Rally Online and reminded me how much I loved this game on N64:

nbSk0.jpg
My friends and I discovered that there was no collision detection underneath the cars in that game. There was a particular track where there was a fence at the top of a hill, and it was possible to get enough air at the top of the hill to get your front tires over the fence and get stuck on it.

We then discovered as we tried to scootch down the length of the fence that the game would randomly freak the fuck out and send the car flying through the air, spinning like a jet engine turbine way out into the water. You could seriously get into the double digits for airtime.

I don't think we spent any time at all actually playing the game properly once we found this out.

Hybrid Heaven. Battle system was amazing.

Seeing a giant horse mutant put my character in the sharpshooter for the first time was pretty cool too.

lordy88

Ckid said:
Loved this game.

Wayne_Gretzky3dhockeyN64.jpg

Oh my god yes. Playing this with 4-way multiplayer is absolutely ridiculous. The goalies are the worst in the world, knocking people over is ridiculous, and the mechanics are loose as all hell. The recipe of a perfect arcade multiplayer game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
198014_85657_front.jpg

mrc16_640w.jpg
mrc19_640w.jpg

MRC, only 3 tracks ( also mirrored tracks) but it was the best racing game on the N64,nothing even dare to touch it,it mixed off road and sport vehicles on one track, it was Motorstorm before Motorstorm, it was so good.

Boney

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
cEobk.jpg

I loved Chopper Attack. Game was pretty damn awesome, imo.

Oh and Aerofighters Assault everybody seemed to hate but I was craving any kind of flight simulator for the N64
This is one of the worst games I've ever played.

What the hell is wrong with you!

YakiSOBA

This thread is full of nostalgia for me! I recognize most of the game covers from when I would browse the stores or read EGM lol.

UFRA

I know I'm LTTP, but damn...OP - Beetle Adventure Racing was one of my favorite N64 games!! Glad to see some other people appreciated it. ;)

Edit: On this page I see Top Gear Rally as well!! Oh man, another favorite! I also had Top Gear Rally 2.

Boney said:
This is one of the worst games I've ever played.

What the hell is wrong with you!
I always watch a YT playthrough before I buy and this game looked like dogshit lol. Sorry to say guys. But the other stuff is gold.

Boney

Banned
evilromero said:
I always watch a YT playthrough before I buy and this game looked like dogshit lol. Sorry to say guys. But the other stuff is gold.
seriously, all the love it's getting here is making me sick.

Got this and Mortal Kombat 4 for one christmas... worst christmas ever :(

Dizzy

Banned
Boerseun said:
The other versions are all too dark though, at times you see 3 steps ahead of you an everything else is pitch black. Pain in the ass in multiplayer.

Plus there's the new secret areas, and the plasma cannon >>>>>> devastator.

Makes up for the music IMO.

Oh God, I loved Top Gear Rally. Probably spent more time with that racer than any other on the system. At the time, the graphics were top notch.

Hey, remember when they used to released actual rally games? Like...all the time?

I'll say it again, fuck this generation.

NEO0MJ said:
This game needs a sequel.

Mischief_Makers.jpg

So original and fun, even replayed it a few years back to be sure. But after how badly S&P SS did on wii I don't think it will happen.

Another fun game I liked was Glover, but I'm not sure if it was good or just nostalgia. Gonna have too hook up the 64 sometime to replay it.

Absolutely THIS.
I require a sequel too. Or at least a remake on the 3DS.

sdd56p.jpg

While this isn't a game I loved, in fact it was a fairly mediocre entry in the series, I thought it deserved a mention. I'm not even sure if I remember correctly, but wasn't it basically a port of the original game with a few new courses mixed in?

At any rate I remember being underwhelmed, but at least it did have 4 way split screen and analog control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nh9nztM6g

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hebrew hammer said:
glover and mission impossible were two of the mosst overhyped awful gamess made.

I think Mission Impossible was loved mostly because it was unique on N64, it's crap, but it's unique crap like no other games on the system with stealth,slower paced story driven, doing secret agent action in some embassy, wearing people's faces..ect

Wool

starcraft64.jpg

Starcraft is well known, but I don't know many people other than my brother and myself that would spend all afternoon playing splitscreen multiplayer starcraft on N64. I shudder to think about how it bad it would feel if I tried playing it nowadays, but I did not have high standards back then.

DidntKnowJack said:
[IM G]http://oi51.tinypic.com/sdd56p.jpg[/IMG]

While this isn't a game I loved, in fact it was a fairly mediocre entry in the series, I thought it deserved a mention. I'm not even sure if I remember correctly, but wasn't it basically a port of the original game with a few new courses mixed in?

At any rate I remember being underwhelmed, but at least it did have 4 way split screen and analog control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nh9nztM6g
Outside of the terrible loading (almost 10 seconds for audio decompression), it was far more stable than any other Wipeout game back then.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AlphaTwo00 said:
Outside of the terrible loading (almost 10 seconds for audio decompression), it was far more stable than any other Wipeout game back then.

Wipeout XL on Saturn was better.

This thread leaves me with an irresistible urge to shake my fist in the air and curse Nintendo for the utter lack of N64 releases on the Virtual Console. So many awesome titles still missing from the line-up, it's just deplorable.

Truth101 said:
Quest 64 pic

I loved this game, and am really disappointed no one else posted it. =[

My mom rented it from blockbuster back in the day, and we didn't have the controller pack so we could never turn in the system off or save.... never got past the last boss

It was really good, was a fun 6 hours :)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
BY2K said:
quest%2064.jpg

God, I sucked at that game when I was little, but I just kept coming back.
I had that game, and traded it for a StarFox 64 copy that was unable to save.

Needless to say, I got the better end of that deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I remember loving Glover. I'm scared to actually go back and try it again though.

Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven. Hybrid Heaven.

Hybrid Heaven.

Cday

Banned
rdelaney said:
Starcraft 64

Starcraft is well known, but I don't know many people other than my brother and myself that would spend all afternoon playing splitscreen multiplayer starcraft on N64. I shudder to think about how it bad it would feel if I tried playing it nowadays, but I did not have high standards back then.

Me and a friend played the hell out of it and had a blast even though it was borderline unplayable. What is awesome is it contains Brood War as well as regular Starcraft. We tried to play it again recently and still had some fun until the N64 froze.

moozoom

LastWindow said:
This is the first thing that crossed my mind, I still have it. I absolutely love the character design and the animation was very good. I'm still puzzled this was even released in France at the time.

Top Bottom