• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry guys, I'm wrong and the rumor is right. Sony will save PS4 in Japan by releasing a simplified Western-focused AAA version of a franchise that Japan vastly prefers to play on portables and doesn't automatically buy on name alone. It makes sense.

Nah man, you're right. The game won't even be Monster Hunter, it will just be a 10 hour long QTE with explosions going off. PS4 gamers are so stupid they couldn't handle real Monster Hunter so Capcom has to do something to let all those console normies get in on the Monster Hunting fun. Everyone knows real men play on portables.

I don't get why "modern" has to mean mechanically inferior. When I think "modern", I think of doing away with limitations that were in place with PS2, PSP, Wii and 3DS. Features that modern games have as standard that were never in MH.

Why does "modern" have to mean Horizon, or Dragon's Dogma, or whatever other open world RPG out there that has monsters in it to fight? Are you going to say The Witcher 4 with co-op would be a modern Monster Hunter game as well?

I have seen plenty of people talk about Monster Hunter as if they just want the artwork and monster designs in a completely different title. I have seen tons of people say that Dragon's Dogma and, yes, Horizon, are the true Westernized modern Monster Hunter simply because they like the idea of hunting monsters. I have seen tons of people talk about how open world MH would allow for "tracking" and following clues in the environment a la Witcher 3, even though MH isn't about actually tracking the monsters at all and it's not meant to be a "hunting" experience in that sense.

Nah man, you're right. The game won't even be Monster Hunter, it will just be a 10 hour long QTE with explosions going off. PS4 gamers are so stupid they couldn't handle real Monster Hunter so Capcom has to do something to let all those console normies get in on the Monster Hunting fun. Everyone knows real men play on portables.

...why do you keep pretending that the QTE thing was made up by posters in this thread and not part of the original rumor? It's very strange.

I have seen plenty of people talk about Monster Hunter as if they just want the artwork and monster designs in a completely different title. I have seen tons of people say that Dragon's Dogma and, yes, Horizon, are the true Westernized modern Monster Hunter simply because they like the idea of hunting monsters. I have seen tons of people talk about how open world MH would allow for "tracking" and following clues in the environment a la Witcher 3, even though MH isn't about actually tracking the monsters at all and it's not meant to be a "hunting" experience in that sense.

...why do you keep pretending that the QTE thing was made up by posters in this thread and not part of the original rumor? It's very strange.

What people on GAF think they want is irrelevant, in my opinion. If Capcom was saying these things then it would be a worthy point of contention, but they're not. Just because people can't articulate themselves properly with good examples of modernisation other than to say "make it like Horizon, but with co-op!", doesn't necessarily mean that this is what modernisation would mean for a Monster Hunter game. I'm personally not worried.

Oersted

I'm sorry guys, I'm wrong and the rumor is right. Sony will save PS4 in Japan by releasing a simplified Western-focused AAA version of a franchise that Japan vastly prefers to play on portables and doesn't automatically buy on name alone. It makes sense.

Let me preface my following statement that the rumor is utter bullocks and nothing but Sony fans living in denial.

However, companies make unwise business decisions all the time. I mean Street Fighter V happened. Thats is also why it is so fruitless to discuss this whole "scenario", no matter if there is a rumor or not. We don't know what Capcom, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft for that matter are thinking. They can all missjudge market/partners and competition.

What people on GAF think they want is irrelevant, in my opinion. If Capcom was saying these things then it would be a worthy point of contention, but they're not. Just because people can't articulate themselves properly with good examples of modernisation other than to say "make it like Horizon, but with co-op!", doesn't necessarily mean that this is what modernisation would mean for a Monster Hunter game. I'm personally not worried.

I'd be personally worried since Capcom's attempts at modernizing and westernizing niche franchises has an extremely spotty track record.

Orayn

In an attempt to be more constructive, let's start categorizing the kinds of changes involved in "modernizing" MH.

Minor changes and stuff that's already done or in progress:
-Update lobby/co-op system to allow drop in/drop out. Totally fine, I want it too.
-Streamline crafting: Already happening with material changes in X
-Streamline trading/farming: Again, in progress with in 4/X with the way the caravan works
-Streamline mission prep: Items sets already exist. Equipment sets exist.
-Streamlining food buffs: Already done in X
-Streamlining usable items: Some have already been consolidated after 3
-Enhanced movement, climbing on monsters: People bring this up all the fucking time because they don't know 4 exists

Bigger changes:
-Removing separate areas: I'm personally against this, but it might be possible to do well. 4 already has fewer, bigger areas. I suppose you'd extend that trend and still have some sort of bottleneck/transition area between the new "zones."
-Emphasize "tracking" monsters? This would be reversing course, game already makes it trivially easy to find where the monster is
-No more needing to find/chase the monster? Directly contradicts the above but people ask for this too sometimes
-Simplify controls: Would probably mean reducing the size of weapons' movesets and vastly simplifying the way items work (i.e. you don't scroll through all usable items and they're reduced in number and assigned to a d-pad grid or something)

Huge overhauls/why even call it MH at this point:
-Open world
-No missions/specific hunts
-Cinematic story
-No animation priority
-Removing gathering/crafting

Which of these do you people actually want? What have I missed?

Kyoufu

The post I originally quoted basically said "go play Horizon, leave MH as it is" which I think doesn't do justice to a potential modernised Monster Hunter from Capcom that would take advantage of increased specs, allowing them to implement features not possible on PS2, PSP, Wii or 3DS.

Now, if someone just wants the look of MH but as a completely different game then yeah maybe they should go play Horizon or whatever.

If the core Monster Hunter team is working on this, it will be interesting to see how they handle a 2.5 generational hardware leap from their previous game. Power-wise, 3DS seems like a middle ground between N64 and GCN.

Kyoufu

For the record I think this rumour is pretty bad. I believe in the existence of MH on PS4 but I find it very hard to believe that a company who normally entices software support on the basis of international sales thanks to PS4's global relevance especially in emerging markets where many Japanese games are seeing success in would approach another company (Capcom) who desires international growth for their IP with the notion that they (Sony) are "desperate for Japan" and believe Monster Hunter would somehow save a home console in a shrinking market.

Lol some of these posts are incredible. This just reads like fanboy fantasy. Sony has not threatened Nintendo due to a fear that Monster Hunter on the Switch would completely eradicate their relevancy in Japan.

Yes, I'm such a fanboy I don't even have a Switch.

Yep, that's why Sony never spun off its TV division or sold off the VAIO PC division or abandoned the Vita worldwide becoming the Wii U of handhelds.

Oh wait.

Is your argument that those were good decisions or bad ones? I.e. is it that it's better to pull out of an unfavorable situation than it is to sink any more money, or that Sony made a wrong decision in these cases?

"thread"? (Sic!) What are you talking about? You mean threat? If so, threat to WHOM? Threat to console Warriors that the game would come to other platforms they dont own as well?

Threat to Sony in Japan. I think that was pretty clear from my post.

I think you missed the part about Switch not just getting MHXX, but continuing to get the traditional mainline MH under a different name. MHP3rd far outsold MHTri, because the former could offer local multiplayer and the latter couldn't.

I definitely missed that part indeed. Isn't the rumour that Sony moneyhatted MH5 to have exclusivity?

Rest of the rumor reads like bullshit, so forgive me for not believing the Super Western MH is going to be a QTE fest.

Also I find it funny because MH4 introduced QTEs but people were trying to redefine the definition of a QTE since it was on their favorite system.

Orayn

I feel the need to address this one: I'm trying to say that the exact scenario described in the rumor doesn't make sense because the reasons given contradict each other. I don't have any problem with MH on consoles or non-Nintendo systems, and plan to play XX for Switch mostly docked. I would also happily double or even triple dip on a cross-platform MH5 that came out on consoles and PC.

Oregano

Rest of the rumor reads like bullshit, so forgive me for not believing the Super Western MH is going to be a QTE fest.

Also I find it funny because MH4 introduced QTEs but people were trying to redefine the definition of a QTE since it was on their favorite system.

The mounting mechanic really isn't what traditionally constitutes a QTE. For one thing it's triggered and controlled by the player.

There is something similar when pinned by a monster though.

Salaadin

In an attempt to be more constructive, let's start categorizing the kinds of changes involved in "modernizing" MH.

Minor/reasonable:
-Update lobby/co-op system to allow drop in/drop out. Totally fine, I want it too.
-Streamline trading/farming: Again, in progress with in 4/X with the way the caravan works

Bigger changes:
-Removing separate areas: I'm personally against this, but it might be possible to do well. 4 already has fewer, bigger areas.
-Emphasize "tracking" monsters? This would be reversing course, game already makes it trivially easy to find where the monster is
-No more needing to find/chase the monster? Directly contradicts the above but people ask for this too sometimes
-Simplify controls: Would probably mean reducing the size of weapons' movesets and vastly simplifying usable items

-Open world
-Cinematic story
-No animation priority

Of what you said, all the "minor/reasonaable" stuff are great ideas.
"Removing separate areas" is cool with me but I do think there would have to be some additional streamlining to go with this.
"Tracking monsters" is a good idea on paper but, like you said, its already easy to find the monsters. If they do go with unsegmented areas, itd be cool if they added some minor tracking stuff like footprints, nearby breathing, trees visibly rustling in the distance. Simple stuff that just sort of says "a monster is/was here" that will also add to the atmosphere.
"No need to find monster" and "simplify controls " are bad ideas, imo. They mess with the game too much.
I dont like any of your "huge overhauls".

If the core Monster Hunter team is working on this, it will be interesting to see how they handle a 2.5 generational hardware leap from their previous game.

Id be for something that prioritizes resolution and framerate over flash. 1080p60 with no drops.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Minor changes and stuff that's already done or in progress:
-Enhanced movement, climbing on monsters: People bring this up all the fucking time because they don't know 4 exists

Bigger changes:
-Removing separate areas: I'm personally against this, but it might be possible to do well. 4 already has fewer, bigger areas. I suppose you'd extend that trend and still have some sort of bottleneck/transition area between the new "zones."
-Simplify controls: Would probably mean reducing the size of weapons' movesets and vastly simplifying usable items

-Open world
-Cinematic story
-No animation priority

I don't understand why making it an open world means "why even call it MH." To me that would be one of the things they'd logically be trying to work into the formula and it's not something I see as totally incompatible. I don't even like open world games but it's not like I can't imagine how they could fit together.

Changing the mission structure would need to be done carefully but would go hand-in-hand with it being "open world." You'd be dropped into one big world that contains all the biomes and you pick up "quests" "more organically" / by finding stuff in the world. I see this as meaning quests to hunt specific monsters or, more importantly, find specific things would be gone. In their stead you'd just be able to wander around and do whatever.

I don't think you'd remove crafting. That's all the rage in virtually very western open world title. If anything, I think it'd be expanded to the point of being annoying and accompany it with RPG lite attributes since why the hell not.

When you look at your idea list through the lens of how the game works today, it doesn't make as much sense, sure. But I imagine tracking monsters through a big open world might be different (again, I don't think I would particularly like this change, but you could see how a focus shift would work).

Most importantly, I don't think Horizon / Witcher / Far Cry really approximate the series all that well holistically. They each do certain things that are clearly inspired by / improve on some of the MH formula (and other things much worse), but I don't think their designers are really designing in that vein intentionally. I think Capcom could do a better job.

yankee666

I dont get why this rumor got that much attention. The didnt even get the name of the next MH right. MH cross-cross is not the same as MH double cross. The name is written in every logo.
Anyways, ill buy MH 5 regardless the system is on, but i prefer to play MH on the go.

Orayn

I'm really, really cagey on the idea of open world MH. Maybe there is a way to make it work, but I'm straining my brain to think of how it could actually gel.

You would need the whole thing to be detailed enough that portions of it could function as "stages" with interesting environments and hazards and variations in sightlines and usable space, akin to how the various separate zones work right now. You would absolutely lose a ton of magic if you tried to make MH hunts work in the kind of generalized open world terrain that makes up the bulk of something like The Witcher or Horizon.

A decent compromise might be a hub-and-spoke design akin to Nier Automata where the areas are distinct and fairly detailed but still physically connected to each other and not separated by loading screens. Hell, you could even draw comparisons to something like Prey where you have an "intimate" world full of very elaborate zones that are still close together.

Oregano

I'm really, really cagey on the idea of open world MH. Maybe there is a way to make it work, but I'm straining my brain to think of how it could actually gel.

You would need the whole thing to be detailed enough that portions of it could function as "stages" with interesting environments and hazards and variations in sightlines and usable space, akin to how the various separate zones work right now. You would absolutely lose a ton of magic if you tried to make MH hunts work in the kind of generalized open world terrain that makes up the bulk of something like The Witcher or Horizon.

A decent compromise might be a hub-and-spoke design akin to Nier Automata where the areas are distinct and fairly detailed but still physically connected to each other and not separated by loading screens. Hell, you could even draw comparisons to something like Prey where you have an "intimate" world full of very elaborate zones that are still close together.

One of the thing that elevated was MH4 above previous games was the level design and environmental interaction so I definitely wouldn't want them to go back on that. It's really apparent when you play Generations and its one of the areas from the older games. It's just not as good.

Y2Kev

I don't think it will work just stringing the independent biomes together through a hub village but I could easily see them doing that. I think the world would need to be very connected and very vertical to avoid travel time being boring. Gulp-- it'd have to be Dark Souls.

I imagine they'll probably just go for the Skyrim model though and have you fighting dragons out in the middle of empty fields. I mean, it can certainly work and Merkans certainly love that. They can explore and shit. EXPLORE. Pick up some garbage.

Parshias7

I don't much like the idea of open world Monster Hunter because to me it sounds like putting a bunch of extraneous material in between me and the best part of MH: fighting giant monsters.

Sure, Monster Hunter games come with somewhat large maps, and there is something to be had with following a beast back to its nest to catch it sleeping, but the core of MH is fighting the monster. Heck, the games even have a handful of missions where there is no big map and it is just you and a monster in a single area fighting to the death.

What would adding more space add to the process? More walking? More fighting tiny trash mobs that no one bothers with past the first hour? A big world works in Zelda because exploration is a major part of the experience. You finish "exploring" in Monster Hunter once you find where the ore, the herbs, the honey, and where the monsters go nappy time. Then you spend the next 100+ hours killing shit.

Y2Kev

I don't much like the idea of open world Monster Hunter because to me it sounds like putting a bunch of extraneous material in between me and the best part of MH: fighting giant monsters.

Sure, Monster Hunter games come with somewhat large maps, and there is something to be had with following a beast back to its nest to catch it sleeping, but the core of MH is fighting the monster. Heck, the games even have a handful of missions where there is no big map and it is just you and a monster in a single area fighting to the death.

What would adding more space add to the process? More walking? More fighting tiny trash mobs that no one bothers with past the first hour? A big world works in Zelda because exploration is a major part of the experience. You finish "exploring" in Monster Hunter once you find where the ore, the herbs, the honey, and where the monsters go nappy time. Then you spend the next 100+ hours killing shit.

That's basically the open world model these days and people love it. Connected, co-op open world experiences filled with padding. They sell like cray.

The formula could use some tweaking though. I think the "free hunt" distinction vs. leaving on missions is artificial and outdated. You should probably just be able to leave the village and access any biome and do whatever.

It's all about level design honestly...

4.5 million in Japan is barely more than MH4 sold.... and Persona 5 only did about as well as MH4U in the west and much worse in Japan...

If they do make a PS4 exclusive they will be aiming a lot higher than Persona 5.

lmao no

MHG > 165k.
MH4U had 290k opening.

P5 had a 450k+ opening.

For the record I think this rumour is pretty bad. I believe in the existence of MH on PS4 but I find it very hard to believe that a company who normally entices software support on the basis of international sales thanks to PS4's global relevance especially in emerging markets where many Japanese games are seeing success in would approach another company (Capcom) who desires international growth for their IP with the notion that they (Sony) are "desperate for Japan" and believe Monster Hunter would somehow save a home console in a shrinking market.

This.

Oregano

lmao no

MHG > 165k.
MH4U had 290k opening.

P5 had a 450k+ opening.

This.

Luckily the US isn't all of the west?

Both MH4U and Persona 5 have shipped around a million in the west. Persona 5 might have better legs but that remains to be seen.

Monster Hunter is really popular in Germany BTW.

Sophia

-Simplify controls: Would probably mean reducing the size of weapons' movesets and vastly simplifying the way items work (i.e. you don't scroll through all usable items and they're reduced in number and assigned to a d-pad grid or something)

I think there's room for slight compromise on this, actually. Certainly, going forward, the d-Pad could be used a quick selection of items or arts. We already have something similar to this in 3U/4U/Gen, but on the touchscreen, and with the addition of a full controller we wouldn't need camera control on the D-Pad. (Although obviously it should be kept as optional feature for those who want it.)

The real problem with removing separate areas is that monster behavior seems to be calculated differently when they're in the same area as the player, compared to when they're not. Also, the areas can be used for emergency healing if you cross into another zone, as the monster doesn't usually follow.

Kyoufu

That's basically the open world model these days and people love it. Connected, co-op open world experiences filled with padding. They sell like cray.

The formula could use some tweaking though. I think the "free hunt" distinction vs. leaving on missions is artificial and outdated. You should probably just be able to leave the village and access any biome and do whatever.

It's all about level design honestly...

Imagine Monster Hunter "Freedom" actually being an accurate representation of the game playing experience.

ggx2ac

Is your argument that those were good decisions or bad ones? I.e. is it that it's better to pull out of an unfavorable situation than it is to sink any more money, or that Sony made a wrong decision in these cases?

Your suggestion was that Sony should sink money for a MH exclusive because of how bad it's doing against other consoles in Japan.

It's not a bad idea but...

That wouldn't work out well for them or Capcom because Monster Hunter has shown to have extremely higher sales on handhelds compared to stationary consoles. The effect on PS4 hardware sales wouldn't be that high and if Capcom is using a higher budget for a PS4 game, then they wouldn't be happy with just one million sales in Japan.

In the examples I gave, they were all from Sony giving up because they couldn't compete or were becoming unprofitable, the Vita would be the easiest to recognise this. Sony don't provide shipment numbers for it anymore, we can only assume they've shipped 15 million WW. They followed the same tactics as the PSP by releasing a revision and a version with reduced features like the PSP Go: Vita TV.

That didn't do much for it, they didn't even think about getting rid of the Sony Proprietary memory to use SD cards instead. The Vita pretty much disappeared outside Japan from store shelves early on, by the end of 2014 if I remember?

Oregano

Imagine Monster Hunter "Freedom" actually being an accurate representation of the game playing experience.

Might just be but no thanks to getting rid of the mission structure like that. They could definitely streamline stuff like Urgent quests in Multiplayer though.

Orayn

I think there's room for slight compromise on this, actually. Certainly, going forward, the d-Pad could be used a quick selection of items or arts. We already have something similar to this in 3U/4U/Gen, but on the touchscreen, and with the addition of a full controller we wouldn't need camera control on the D-Pad. (Although obviously it should be kept as optional feature for those who want it.)

Yeah, having quick items on the d-pad would be totally fine. Not sure if you'd do it as one per direction or a little mini-grid where the diagonals are 2 button presses away, but that would work great.

The real problem with removing separate areas is that monster behavior seems to be calculated differently when they're in the same area as the player, compared to when they're not. Also, the areas can be used for emergency healing if you cross into another zone, as the monster doesn't usually follow.

This is why I like the current system. Despite people bemoaning them as an outdated technical limitation, the zones still have a lot of functionality baked into them that would either need to be dropped or completely re-implemented if zones were to go away.

Kyoufu

Might just be but no thanks to getting rid of the mission structure like that. They could definitely streamline stuff like Urgent quests in Multiplayer though.

I wouldn't want the mission structure to be abolished completely but I think the "free hunt" option that they introduced with MH Tri would be so much better in an open world setting that MH5 apparently has in place.

And yeah, urgent quests need to be streamlined. I still don't understand why my friends and I need to do it 4 times for the whole group to rank up.

brinstar

if what's in MH4 counts as a QTE than they've had them before that anyway

Sophia

Yeah, having quick items on the d-pad would be totally fine. Not sure if you'd do it as one per direction or a little mini-grid where the diagonals are 2 button presses away, but that would work great.

This is why I like the current system. Despite people bemoaning them as an outdated technical limitation, the zones still have a lot of functionality baked into them that would either need to be dropped or completely re-implemented if zones were to go away.

I don't think a mini grid is needed. One per direction emulates the current touchscreen functionality.

I'm not sure what you could do about the zone functionality tho. They even use it for difficulty scaling as some endgame bosses are just a single zone with cover.

Oregano

I wouldn't want the mission structure to be abolished completely but I think the "free hunt" option that they introduced with MH Tri would be so much better in an open world setting that MH5 apparently has in place.

And yeah, urgent quests need to be streamlined. I still don't understand why my friends and I need to do it 4 times for the whole group to rank up.

I'd probably agree with that. It would definitely depend on the actual design of the world though. I don't think a typical open world or an FF Explorer style connected world would really do it for me.

There would have to be something really smart about it.

Y2Kev

The monster AI could easily be programmed so that it behaves a certain way when in proximity of the character. They just need to find a way to have the monster escape believably. It would be artificial and phony if the monster just ran far away in the Skyrim field. It's all about execution, of course, and it would be hard...but all open world design is hard to pull off.

Vena

Luckily the US isn't all of the west?

Both MH4U and Persona 5 have shipped around a million in the west. Persona 5 might have better legs but that remains to be seen.

Monster Hunter is really popular in Germany BTW.

4U is at ~1.5m in RotW.

Ridley327

I still don't understand why they insist on only giving credit to the person that opened the urgent. It's not even a technical limitation, since everyone gets credit on completing a key, even if they're not even on that same HR.

Oregano

4U is at ~1.5m in RotW.

Huh since when?

I still don't understand why they insist on only giving credit to the person that opened the urgent. It's not even a technical limitation, since everyone gets credit on completing a key, even if they're not even on that same HR.

Yup, its dumb. Multiplayer is definitely THE area they could make a ton of changes to make it more modern(or just plain better) without really effecting the core experience.

Let me preface my following statement that the rumor is utter bullocks and nothing but Sony fans living in denial.

However, companies make unwise business decisions all the time. I mean Street Fighter V happened. Thats is also why it is so fruitless to discuss this whole "scenario", no matter if there is a rumor or not. We don't know what Capcom, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft for that matter are thinking. They can all missjudge market/partners and competition.

The SFV deal doesn't sound bad on paper. That Capcom fucked up in making the game comes later. This deal just sounds dumb from the get go, we haven't even gotten to the part where Capcom fucks it up somehow.

tuffy

Because hunters can join an urgent quest without having the prerequisites to post it themselves, only giving credit to the one who posts it ensures that all the key quests have been done beforehand. Otherwise people could skip right over whole hunter ranks.

Oregano

Because hunters can join an urgent quest without having the prerequisites to post it themselves, only giving credit to the one who posts it ensures that all the key quests have been done beforehand. Otherwise people could skip right over whole hunter ranks.

The obvious solution is make it so they need to do both key and urgent quests to rank up so if they do the urgent first they still need to do the key quests.

Sophia

The monster AI could easily be programmed so that it behaves a certain way when in proximity of the character. They just need to find a way to have the monster escape believably. It would be artificial and phony if the monster just ran far away in the Skyrim field. It's all about execution, of course, and it would be hard...but all open world design is hard to pull off.

Even with new behavior, the world design would need to accommodate the fact that the player cannot simply change areas to safely recover health. This would most likely come in the form of more cover. So that changes the gameplay around a little bit right there too.

NewGame

Banned

Don't you remember the 'Stealing our games!!' generation? FF13 on Xbox?

I'd rather Mon Hun be on multiple platforms because that would grow the fan base immesnsely, heck even having xbox/sony/nintendo players all on the same server- but money money money.

Ridley327

I get that, but they still need to complete keys in order for it to open it themselves. The irksome bit is when they do and still don't get credit until they're the ones that open it. This was actually a really big problem in MH4U, since getting to G-rank took ages with how many keys and urgents you had to go through, and with a lot of them being elder dragons of the giant size, a really significant time investment with how many times one had to run Dalamadur and Ukanlos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom