• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be real: if Playstation put all their games on PC day 1, would you jump ship?

would you move to PC if it got all the PS5 exclusives day 1?

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why wouldn't you
what kind of question is that.
Money ?
They might do their own store with trophy support. And if they kill physical media next gen whats left?
If they do their own store on pc? rough.... but it's not out of the quesiton.
And if they kill physical media, it will be a bad move. They sell 60-70% of their first party games on disc. This was leaked in insomniac documents.
An with physical gaming, they can sell collectors editions, goty editions and so on so on. There are ways to milk physical editions

Fabieter

Now an interesting question I think also would be this, if a game exclusive to console comes out, and 1 out of 10 people gets the console just for the game, as many did perhaps with Bloodborne, would that really be more profitable than the game coming out on everything it can come out? IF BB came out on PC day one besides PS4 release, could it have made more money than it did, console sales included? I kind of doubt it.

Some people might also stick for longer. We don't have any data which suggest either way just anecdotal data and opinions..

Fact is the console market shrunk and I highly doubt those player vanished. They went where they get a similar experience.

Fbh

Also - why would sony do that?
They earn more money on their own console.
They own their store, their console, their whole ecosystem. They get all the revenue.

On pc people not only don't like buying games full price but on top of that, pc ports are harder to do and steam takes the cut

This I agree with.
I don't see what they have to gain. Are the extra sales on PC worth risking their console becoming less appealing?
I was always under the understanding that the true business of consoles is getting lots of people to buy them so they (Sony) can take a 30% from all the stuff that gets sold on them (on top of Ps+). A game like, say, Spiderman or God of War isn't just made to make profit through sales but to get people into the Playstation ecosystem so Sony can take a 30% cut every time they buy a third party game, or Vbucks or the latest COD or the latest Genshin Impact waifu.

The one scenario where it makes sense to me is Sony completely shifting their focus towards GAAS.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Are the extra sales on PC worth risking their console becoming less appealing?
Is their console really less appealing when even people here wouldn't leave the PS ecosystem for PC with all the games ported?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

This I agree with.
I don't see what they have to gain. Are the extra sales on PC worth risking their console becoming less appealing?
I was always under the understanding that the true business of consoles is getting lots of people to buy them so they (Sony) can take a 30% from all the stuff that gets sold on them (on top of Ps+). A game like, say, Spiderman or God of War isn't just made to make profit through sales but to get people into the Playstation ecosystem so Sony can take a 30% cut every time they buy a third party game, or Vbucks or the latest COD or the latest Genshin Impact waifu.

The one scenario where it makes sense to me is Sony completely shifting their focus towards GAAS.
Problem is the concept of exclusives aren't as appealing as they were back in the ps1/2/3 days. Most people get a high-end console nowadays for practicality rather than to play specific catalogues. Sony first parties now are more a type of brand rather than just 'bait' to get people to buy playstations.

Last edited:

NT80

Exclusives are the main reason for me to buy a system. It's why in some previous gens I've had multiple systems. I have a pretty good PC and for the first time in any gen I have no real motivation to buy any console. PS5 Pro is a maybe though if the performance is significantly better than my PC but I doubt it'll be that good.

TheTony316

Is their console really less appealing when even people here wouldn't leave the PS ecosystem for PC with all the games ported?

I think they could lose some people within the hardcore gaming community but the vast majority of gamers who don't listen to podcasts or visit places like this wouldn't know any better or care. PC gaming has a very different target audience even if the games overlap.

twilo99

I’ll go where the physical discs are.

I Am Trash GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I buy consoles because I don't want to spend thousands, I just want to slump into my couch turn on, and play without tinkering with anything.

I get and respect that some love PC but it's just not for everyone.

Fbh

Problem is the concept of exclusives aren't as appealing as they were back in the ps1/2/3 days. Most people get a high-end console nowadays for practicality rather than to play specific catalogues. Sony first parties now are more a type of brand rather than just 'bait' to get people to buy playstations.

I can agree it's not quite the same as before.
I think Sony realized there's a big group of people that just don't want a console no matter what and will never buy a Ps5, but they'll buy Sony games on PC if they are made available to them.
I think likewise there's a big group of more casual players that don't want to deal with PC and just want a $500 box to plaay games for the next 6-7 years. The xbox being so weak these past 2 gens and Nintendo sort of doing their own thing on the side has also helped them establish Ps5 as the sort of default "console" that most people who want to play on console will go to.

That said I still think exclusives have an appeal and help keep the Playstation brand strong. In the long run I still don't think Sony would benefit from day 1 releases on PC.

That said if they do that would be even better and would make it even more of an obvious choice to just play on PC.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I have a PS5 and a beefy gaming PC. I'd rather buy the games on PC on day 1 than buy the less performing PS5 version on day 1 or wait a year for the definitive PC release.

Tqaulity

My answer is "NO" as long as the games are still coming to PlayStation as well. I already have access to several PCs in my home including a 4090 level system so if I want to play on PC i can today. But my strong preference is to play on console given the option.

Last edited:

BlakeofT

For the low cost of 2 PS5’s you could probably build a decent PC that will last longer than a console and also be more powerful.
I did this in 2016. I still use it pretty much daily, but it definitely wouldn't be able to play the games coming out for PS5 as good as a PS5 could. Nowadays, I can't really afford a single PS5, let alone two of them. Luckily I already have a PS5, so I can play most of the games I want to!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What is so nonsensical about me working 10 hours in front of a PC each day and so wanting to sit on my mega comfortable sofa in front of my big screen in the evening with the only effort being me pressing an 'on' button?
I work in IT and yes, your take is utter nonsense. "PC is too much of a tool for me to have fun with." The fuck is this? No one asked you to start dating a friend you've had for 10 years. It's a multi-purpose machine to play games on lol.
Why are PC gamers so evangelical?
Nothing to do with this. Your take is just shit.

Last edited:
I work in IT and yes, your take is utter nonsense. "PC is too much of a tool for me to have fun with." The fuck is this? No one asked you to start dating a friend you've had for 10 years. It's a multi-purpose machine to play games on lol.

Nothing to do with this. Your take is just shit.
You're doing loads to deflect the stereotype of IT workers being angry nerds here, bro.

skneogaf

I own a ps5 and a 4090 pc and playstation games aren't very well optimised games on pc so I'd be hesitant to give up a playstation console.

I would drop the playstation if pc versions were optimised though.

I stick to consoles because they are convenient.

I'm not tech-savvy at all, so anything about processors and whatever correct gear you need to play ________, puts me to sleep, and again, I'm dumb about that stuff.

Which is why I would still have a PlayStation. Turn it on, select game, and play it. If it's available on PS4/5, it will most likely perform and play well.

So no worries for me, beyond just playing the games.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Now that the PS5 games are coming to PC I don't have as much urge to fire up the ol PS5 anymore, but I'm keeping this avatar that I made

Hudo

I am convinced that the amount of people who care about shit like this and who'd really "jump ship" is small. The reality is that Brad and Chad just want to play some Fifa on the TV after they get home from college/work. And they will do so regardless of whether Bloodborne 2 can be played on PC as well. Same goes for Hector, who plays FF14 on his PC after he gets home. Doesn't give a flying fuck about being able to play on an Xbox or Playstation.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I am convinced that the amount of people who care about shit like this and who'd really "jump ship" is small. The reality is that Brad and Chad just want to play some Fifa on the TV after they get home from college/work. And they will do so regardless of whether Bloodborne 2 can be played on PC as well. Same goes for Hector, who plays FF14 on his PC after he gets home. Doesn't give a flying fuck about being able to play on an Xbox or Playstation.
GS5Wsad.gif

A truckload of people would. Sony understands this better than anyone else. This is why, outside of a GAAS or MP title, you won't see them exploring day & date.

As long as selling consoles remains a priority for them, which it will cause consoles = PS+ subs, then this will be their strategy. You think they didn't carefully look at MS' numbers as they increasingly released day/date on Steam? The court docs alone prove that out, but the Insomniac leaks should've crystalized it.

Last edited:

Fabieter

The fifa crowd isn't what brings in the big money. Loosing high spending customers is the talking point.

sn0man

Many PS players say this as a way to try and prove that Day 1 PC would hurt console sales. So, i think I should straight up make a poll. Would you jump ship to PC? Do you think friends who play on PS5 would do the same thing too?
Wait… so I don’t have to buy a $500 console (and go through the hassle of selling to get a $600 Pro model) and just put that towards the gaming platform I’m already committed to (PC)?

bored homer simpson GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait… so I don’t have to buy a $500 console (and go through the hassle of selling to get a $600 Pro model) and just put that towards the gaming platform I’m already committed to (PC)?

bored homer simpson GIF
How is getting 600$ pro more of a hassle than getting new 700$ gpu and selling the old one?
Just give old console to your nephew or something lol

TransTrender

Gold Member
Nope.
PC has been a real shit show ever since 2020 and while I was a dedicated PC gamer for 27 or so years, I find it hard to justify putting a new PC together at these prices.
I'm good on storage and I have a 3090, but goddamn the price for that card was crazy even with early wait list, per-tariff, and EVGA discount code. Component prices are crazy and I like to water cool so at the end of the day the price tag is just too much to justify.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I would wait for next gen.. if the only option was for the same 499 weak ass SKU than yes I would .... if they give me a Pro/Premium more expensive option right of the bat then I might consider staying

Personally I think is crazy sony going day 01 pc and dont doing anything to keep their more enthusiastic fanbase

Top Bottom