• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be real: if Playstation put all their games on PC day 1, would you jump ship?

would you move to PC if it got all the PS5 exclusives day 1?

• Total voters

OverHeat

« generous god »
good try but honestly.. have you ever thrown away a game in the trash?!
Nobody throws away games. These stay on attics, in collections or are sold
I have thrown so many CD-DVD games in the trash…fuck keeping shit just to have clutter digital all the way.

I work in IT and yes, your take is utter nonsense. "PC is too much of a tool for me to have fun with." The fuck is this? No one asked you to start dating a friend you've had for 10 years. It's a multi-purpose machine to play games on lol.

Nothing to do with this. Your take is just shit.
This is an unnecessarily hostile and close-minded post simply because you disagree with the poster you quoted.
He gave an answer that is perfectly valid from his point of view and all you do is shit on them and mock them......simply because they disagree with you.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have thrown so many CD-DVD games in the trash…fuck keeping shit just to have clutter digital all the way.
bravo. You added 0.00000000000000000001 of plastic trash to the landfill.
I don't believe in personal carbon footprint anyway :p

Durin

Neo Member
Only reasons I ever owned consoles:
  1. Exclusives (mainly Japanese games)
  2. Portability like the Switch
  3. Physical game ownership
  4. Ease of use
  5. Games working all the time
Now:
  1. Only console that has a lot of exclusives is the Switch, Xbox stuff is on PC, and Sony just releases them later on PC
  2. PC handhelds now exist that offer me my entire game libraries going back over a decade + console emulation
  3. Physical games are very clearly fading, and the console makers will have a monopoly on their digital stores vs. PC having multiple competing stores
  4. Consoles have only gotten more difficult to use, while PC has gotten easier, so the gap has shrunk enough that it doesn't matter to me.
  5. Stability for games is still better on console due to the fixed SKU...but that standard has gotten worse. AAA shit will come out broken on every platform now, and I can't depend on modding to help me with a console.
Nintendo is the only console that justifies itself with the volume of good games they produce, but my PS5 gets used only a few times a year when they put something out I want. Also, consoles still charging you to play online is just a grift at this point.

fersnake

it would be good so main pc players can enjoy the game, cuz be real guys not everyone can afford to buy a gaming pc and not to mention the hastle dealing with pc's (hardware, drivers, OS etc) im a main pc gamer but i love the confy my ps5 or any home console for that matters bring.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is an unnecessarily hostile post and close-minded post simply because you disagree with the poster you quoted.
He gave an answer that is perfectly valid from his point of view and all you do is shit on them and mock them......simply because they disagree with you.
No. I don't agree with this either:
I stick to consoles because they are convenient.

I'm not tech-savvy at all, so anything about processors and whatever correct gear you need to play ________, puts me to sleep, and again, I'm dumb about that stuff.

Which is why I would still have a PlayStation. Turn it on, select game, and play it. If it's available on PS4/5, it will most likely perform and play well.

So no worries for me, beyond just playing the games.
It's simply a lot more sensible than, "There's this tool I can't view as a tool for gaming because I work on it." Which doesn't even begin to make sense. It can game. That's all you need to view it as a gaming machine.

What's next? An airline pilot can't game with a headset because he works with one all day?

Last edited:

Fabieter

it would be good so main pc players can enjoy the game, cuz be real guys not everyone can afford to buy a gaming pc and not to mention the hastle dealing with pc's (hardware, drivers, OS etc) im a main pc gamer but i love the confy my ps5 or any home console for that matters bring.

You are real pc gamer but you talk about drivers in 2024?

No. I don't agree with this either:

It's simply a lot more sensible than, "There's this tool I can't view as a tool for gaming because I work on it." Which doesn't even begin to make sense. It can game. That's all you need to view it as a gaming machine.

What's next? An airline pilot can't game with a headset because he works with one all day?

Attacking them because you didn't like their reasoning or because you didn't like their phrasing, it's still the same.
You're being needlessly hostile simply because someone disagrees with you.
Grow. Up.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Attacking them because you didn't like their reasoning or because you didn't like their phrasing, it's still the same.
You're being needlessly hostile simply because someone disagrees with you.
Grow. Up.
I didn't attack him. I said his take was shit. Where do you see me attacking him?

Grow a thicker skin instead of white-knighting a damn forum post. Nobody asked you to come to his defense and I'm sure he's perfectly fine.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The fifa crowd isn't what brings in the big money.
I guarantee you more than 60-70% of the PS4/5 sales are people who just want to play Fifa, COD and Fortnite. and that's not accounting for the whales for those respective games too.

Consoles aren't popular because of their exclusives or their libarry with the special exception of Nintendo. (who by the way are in that position to begin with because of the lack of third party games as a result of their hardware being underpowered, also the general insane strength of their IP) People play consoles because

1. their other friends play on them
2. they're invested in the ecosystem and want to keep their digital library
3. They're easy and simple to use and set up
4. They are well advertised and seen constantly on TV, billboards, Youtube ads, Twitch ads, sponsored content, etc
5. they duplicate as really good Blu Ray players (OK i'm stretching with this one)

Last edited:

Metnut

I just enjoy the console experience more, so it’s a no for me. Especially with me otherwise having no need for a PC at home given how strong mobile devices are these days.

No issues with whatever Sony wants to do with bringing games to PC. If PC Gamers want to pay $69.99 for day one releases for narrative driven single player games, then go ahead Sony, add to that ROI so we get more and better games.

Last edited:

AGRacing

100%

Why the hell would I pay 100 dollars CAD a year to play online and get cloud saves? That has been what has shifted me more away from console and toward PC. If you give me a choice to spend 100 dollars on something I own or something I rent or borrow.. I always choose own.

Bought an XSX at launch, but have basically played all Xbox games on PC leaving my console to collect dust. Probably won't get another Xbox at this point. PS going day one on PC would have the same effect. I'd gladly welcome it.

Xbox already does, which makes owning an xbox pointless (unless you prefer gaming in your living room) when it comes to playing xbox games as a PC owner. If PS5 did this, it would basically eliminate the need to ever own a console. I'd be all for that, but for that reason, it will never happen. PS exclusives are the entire reason PlayStation has the strength they do on the console market. I can't see them willingly giving that position of strength up.

reinking

Gold Member
Leaving Kali Uchis GIF by Tyler, the Creator

Zannegan

At this point, I'll probably never build a powerful PC, but I'll play anything that comes to Steam Deck Gen 2 or possibly Deckard.

Fabieter

I guarantee you more than 60-70% of the PS4/5 sales are people who just want to play Fifa, COD and Fortnite. and that's not accounting for the whales for those respective games too.

Consoles aren't popular because of their exclusives or their libarry with the special exception of Nintendo. (who by the way are in that position to begin with because of the lack of third party games as a result of their hardware being underpowered, also the general insane strength of their IP) People play consoles because

1. their other friends play on them
2. they're invested in the ecosystem and want to keep their digital library
3. They're easy and simple to use and set up
4. They are well advertised and seen constantly on TV, billboards, Youtube ads, Twitch ads, sponsored content, etc
5. they duplicate as really good Blu Ray players (OK i'm stretching with this one)

1. You don't need the same console as your friends anymore
2. Most console player claim they are still here for physical gaming which is a benefit if you like it but it has high chances of being axed as well
3. That's true but they got more complicated over time while pcs got easier
4.why?
5. Well It definitely has a niche tho

Thing is exclusive isnt the sole reason to stay on consoles but other benefits also vanished.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2. Most console player claim they are still here for physical gaming which is a benefit if you like it but it has high chances of being axed as well
ecosystem also includes achievements, friends list, monthly subscription, save files, etc

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Many PS players say this as a way to try and prove that Day 1 PC would hurt console sales. So, i think I should straight up make a poll. Would you jump ship to PC? Do you think friends who play on PS5 would do the same thing too?
I own both and I choose to play games separately depending how I feel about them relative to their platform.

Same with Xbox. I own both and sometimes I want achievements or sometimes I have xbl friends who wanna play.

No need to restrict yourself to one way to play games or enjoy life. Do what feels good for you

Killjoy-NL

Nope.

I don't care about PS games coming to PC, nor do I care about gaming on PC.
I prefer the ease and convenience of a console.

But if Sony ever decides to quit being a platform-holder and quit Playstation, or run their business into the ground like MS is doing with Xbox, I'll happily jump ship to PC.

Basically, PC is Plan B.

Fabieter

ecosystem also includes achievements, friends list, monthly subscription, save files, etc

Oh boy save games is just another benefit of pc gaming. I know you meant your old save games but you could also use save files from other people. Unified friendist are also becoming meaningless with every game having crossplay.

RickMasters

No because I already buy them On PC. They need to start doing day and date though.

Even my Xbox is probably an extension of my PC these days. The games I buy on Xbox are available to me on PC. The PC games I buy off via PC gamepass are available on my Xbox ( I bought quake 2 ages ago on PC gamepass for 2 bucks … when it released on Xbox… turned out I own that version too and was even able to sync with my PC save). And then I have my steam account t for everything else. If Sony did the same for PS owners who also play on PC that Would validate still owning both.

Even then. I don’t think my most PS gamers would jump. Most console gamers are not PC gamers. Most console gamers are not PC- fluent. Would only take one BSOD or a faulty RAM stick to send them running back. Or trying to get headset chat to work for the first time. They ain’t doing that shit!

A PC is a PC. A console is a console. Just because games can be played on a PC it don’t mean everybody want to deal with a PC. That’s why you also have a thing called a max. That’s also for people who don’t like computers. Console gamers for the most part….. don’t like computers. That and a live for simplistic design are two things they have in common with eachother…. And the lack of simplicity is what they loath about the PC.

This is why there will always be consoles. I love my PCs and I have no problems playing games in them, at better than my Xbox series X settings ( my PCs are actually for audio work, and I never cheap out! Only the best and the fastest in those bad boys!) I would say I’m more of an enthusiastic builder and PC based musician ( though I have two macs between my studios aswell) … I love building them big, powerful and full of LEDs, and liquid cooling kits…… but for all of that. I love the quick boot up time and simple plug and play of a console under the TV. I know I can’t build anything as compact as an Xbox or PlayStation that is silent and powerful (for under 500 buck, these consoles are still hang for buck). In fact for the price of a console I would not be happy with the end result.

Playstation ain’t going anywhere… Xbox ain’t going anywhere. And I look forward to years more of us arguing about this shit on the GAF. 😆👊🏾

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
1. You don't need the same console as your friends anymore
3. That's true but they got more complicated over time while pcs got easier
4.why?
5. Well It definitely has a niche tho

Thing is exclusive isnt the sole reason to stay on consoles but other benefits also vanished.
1. still very convenient for the games that DON'T support crossplay.
3. Even if they're not that far apart, PC gaming still has the stigma of being more complicated due to years of actually being difficult for casuals to use.
4. I mean.. what u getting at here bro? Mainstream people have consoles shoved in their face every day with regular activity. The advertising budget for these products are huge. Nvidia doesn't have billboards on the street parading how fast their 4090 is with raytracing.

RickMasters

Basically, PC is Plan B.

It will never come to it. But all the same I reccomend having a library of PC games even if only to get the stuff you can’t get on PlayStation ( the Xbox stuff among other things)

Have your console of choice but deffo use the PC as that net to catch the stuff you can’t play on your console of choice. It’s a win win all round. And if Sony ever does the u thinkable you would already have your back up library…. Now if only they would make your purchases cross platform. ( in your case what you own on PS, you also own a PC version) that would be, ace. MS already does with Xbox. You buy it on console…. You also own it on PC. And you can use your save file on either, too. I think that’s the way forward. Make it about the account and let me use two or theee of the devices in my house to play those games.

At the end of the day the console will always be more at home in the living room entertainment set up than a PC ever will.

twilo99

good try but honestly.. have you ever thrown away a game in the trash?!
Nobody throws away games. These stay on attics, in collections or are sold

Yes, I have..

This is all I have left and it’s just collecting dust in the garage for absolutely no reason..

What do you think will happen to your disks in 10 years?

DrFigs

If PC literally got all ps and xbox games day 1, why would i bother with the console?

It's like asking if xbox games came to ps5, would i consider getting an xbox. of course i wouldn't.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

It will never come to it. But all the same I reccomend having a library of PC games even if only to get the stuff you can’t get on PlayStation ( the Xbox stuff among other things)

Have your console of choice but deffo use the PC as that net to catch the stuff you can’t play on your console of choice. It’s a win win all round. And if Sony ever does the u thinkable you would already have your back up library…. Now if only they would make your purchases cross platform. ( in your case what you own on PS, you also own a PC version) that would be, ace. MS already does with Xbox. You buy it on console…. You also own it on PC. And you can use your save file on either, too. I think that’s the way forward. Make it about the account and let me use two or theee of the devices in my house to play those games.

At the end of the day the console will always be more at home in the living room entertainment set up than a PC ever will.
I get what you're saying, but on PC there's literally only Warhammer: Total War that interests me. But that's because I used to play Warhammer Fantasy table-top when I was younger.

I can do without it, though. I don't even have a need for a PC outside of Warhammer Total War.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I wouldn't jump ship right away but yes the PS5 would be my last PlayStation console. I would be investing in a PC.

Fabieter

1. still very convenient for the games that DON'T support crossplay.
3. Even if they're not that far apart, PC gaming still has the stigma of being more complicated due to years of actually being difficult for casuals to use.
4. I mean.. what u getting at here bro? Mainstream people have consoles shoved in their face every day with regular activity. The advertising budget for these products are huge. Nvidia doesn't have billboards on the street parading how fast their 4090 is with raytracing.

1. Are there new mp coming out without it?
3.+4. What people are also forgetting with this one is friends. I have one for example that builds pc for all the people he knows and makes it as a perfect as possible. He's even like a personal assistance if problems occur. I know there alot of pc guys like him, maybe not to that extent but still. Plus influencer selling the pc platform better than most old fashioned marketing ever could.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
110%. It's a £500 paperweight gathering dust in my front room.

I'd sell it and that would cover the next X big Sony exclusives day one on Steam which is the only reason I own the thing, I'm 99% PC.

RickMasters

I get what you're saying, but on PC there's literally only Warhammer: Total War that interests me. But that's because I used to play Warhammer Fantasy table-top when I was younger.

I can do without it, though. I don't even have a need for a PC outside of Warhammer Total War.

If you dabble around a bit yoh might find there are more games you would like than just those, trust! I remember the first games that made me get serious about PC games… was a game called firefall ( a really cool MMO , that died off a few years back) and hawken. Next thing I know I’m snooping around the steam store and buying arcade classics. Years later I’m buying returnal, uncharted and god of war on it! It’s also my only way of playing VR games. I remember buying the Darius bundle on PC because it’s not on Xbox ( you lucky bastard with PS5, and switches can play it on console tho! I can’t on my Xbox 🥹) so many examples of games like that.

PCs fill in the blanks nicely as the plan B.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is an unnecessarily hostile and close-minded post simply because you disagree with the poster you quoted.
"Your opinion is bad. Like, REALLY BAD" is not anywhere near the level of "shut the fuck up you dumb ass console peasant lol"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
1. Are there new mp coming out without it?
not that I know of, but it's convenient and easier to play with Playstation users on Playstation than to try and interface with an Xbox player on PS.

What people are also forgetting with this one is friends. I have one for example that builds pc for all the people he knows and makes it as a perfect as possible. He's even like a personal assistance if problems occur. I know there alot of pc guys like him, maybe not to that extent but still. Plus influencer selling the pc platform better than most old fashioned marketing ever could.
Friends also buy similar consoles to each other. And influencers?
A lot of big influencers play on PS5. Go to a gaming channel, hell even non gaming related channels, of any influencer/popular celebrity.

You'll see a Switch or PS5 next to their TV. Those consoles are ubiquitous.

PC gaming does get a lot of attention on super tech focused channels like LTT, but even then consoles get a bit of spotlight too.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I’d have no reason for any console if they put their games on PC day one. I’d have my desktop and Steam deck or whatever its successor is and would be perfectly content

*if Nintendo did it too. But pigs will fly before that

Last edited:
I've got a PS5 and a PC with an RTX 3080. I tried playing Call of Duty Warzone on my PC, and it was a terrible experience. Ran like crap (i.e., stuttered) comparatively. That's why I voted "no".

mortal

Gold Member
Jump ship for what reason? PC is a premium choice if you have the time and money to invest in building and maintaining a gaming PC, and it's a great option to have for the enthusiast.
Playing on consoles is more popular than playing on PCs for a reason, convenience and price point. You boot it up and it works as expected 99% of the time with everything in one place.
There's also the option of physical releases that many of us still appreciate having.

If you already have a dedicated place to play the games you enjoy, then there's no reason to worry about the grass being greener.
I'm personally not all that interested in amassing an enormous backlog of titles that I’d barely have time to play let alone finish, just because I can.

Fabieter

not that I know of, but it's convenient and easier to play with Playstation users on Playstation than to try and interface with an Xbox player on PS.

Friends also buy similar consoles to each other. And influencers?
A lot of big influencers play on PS5. Go to a gaming channel, hell even non gaming related channels, of any influencer/popular celebrity.

You'll see a Switch or PS5 next to their TV. Those consoles are ubiquitous.

PC gaming does get a lot of attention on super tech focused channels like LTT, but even then consoles get a bit of spotlight too.

There must be some reasons pc gaming got alot bigger while consolebase shrunk gen over gen. Everyone had very different reasons but consoles get worse every single time. Consoles loosing all exclusives is just a further step in a long list of loosing benefits.

Hell you even pay less for the exclusive games on pc than you do on consoles.

Top Bottom