• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be real: if Playstation put all their games on PC day 1, would you jump ship?

would you move to PC if it got all the PS5 exclusives day 1?

• Total voters

Gandih42

Nah, the benefits of a console for me is more about having a plug-and-play box to play videogames from my couch. As long as the games look and run adequately I'm happy for a cheaper machine to play my games with less hassle. So I'd also be happy for all the PC players if Sony started putting exclusives there on day one.

If it eventually results in consoles dying out to PCs, I'd just make the switch then. But I can't imagine console-type products will go away entirely.

Let's be real:

Console and PC users are different and it will have no impact on SONY consoles sales if they put games day 1 on the PC.
Your standard console users wouldn't have the 1st clue on how to fit a GFX card much less fit a new PSU.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Already on PC, but I would still buy a playstation for under my TV. Saying that, it would be amazing if they could come up with cross buy in some way. Like a playtation launcher for PC.

Neofire

Won't have to hump ship lol once unit sales start to be dry up from their being no point for pc players to buy a ps5.

MikeM

Let's be real:

Console and PC users are different and it will have no impact on SONY consoles sales if they put games day 1 on the PC.
Your standard console users wouldn't have the 1st clue on how to fit a GFX card much less fit a new PSU.
Well thats not true. I’m proof of that as someone who has been consoles-only since PS3 and built a PC last year. YouTube makes it easy to build.

Hugare

Probably

I have my PS5 here collecting dust while I wait for the next big exclusive to come (Final Fantasy VII)

PC are way more expensive, but if I had the option to have everything in one place, it would be worth it

Waiting years to play a big game like TLOU or GOW is not an option

I can see Sony making their own PC store front. Or bright PSN storefront to PC. That would improve thier margins on PC. And possibly add Trophy integration for their PC games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Did you run a bottleneck calculator to see if your cpu restricts your GPU?

Enter your CPU and GPU.
Set it to Graphic Card Intensive Tasks and run it
i already know. I got a 5800x...looking to upgrade 7800x3d, ddr5 Ram and a new mobo. Either that or wait for AMD's next gen releases

I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor...so fps is taking a hit as it is...however...things like dlss3 even make 4k relatively easy for my setup. I've had my cpu since launch day, so i think it's time to upgrade that next.

i already know. I got a 5800x...looking to upgrade 7800x3d, ddr5 Ram and a new mobo. Either that or wait for AMD's next gen releases

I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor...so fps is taking a hit as it is...however...things like dlss3 even make 4k relatively easy for my setup. I've had my cpu since launch day, so i think it's time to upgrade that next.
I got a Core i9 10900K with a 4070 Super and I also run 4K with DLSS. I'm guite happy with it for the moment.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Many PS players say this as a way to try and prove that Day 1 PC would hurt console sales. So, i think I should straight up make a poll. Would you jump ship to PC? Do you think friends who play on PS5 would do the same thing too?
Of course I would not buy a console if I could get the games on PC sooner. That isn't the point. Selling a console to a PC gamer that only really buys exclusives on it does nothing for Sony. It is slightly better since they might buy an extra controller and get full revenue on the games but at the end of they day they want to sell games.

I used to buy all systems. I now don't buy MS because I have gaming PCs.

Reaseru

Yes. What's the point of owning a product that offers nothing different or exclusive from the competition?

Look at MS situation.

Then look at Nintendo.

If I want to buy a Nintendo game, I have to buy a Nintendo console. If I want a MS Studios game, I can play those on PC.

Hunnybun

I would, but only because I'm bothered about graphics, and even then only if Sony don't release a Pro version. All things being equal, I'd rather have a console.

Well thats not true. I’m proof of that as someone who has been consoles-only since PS3 and built a PC last year. YouTube makes it easy to build.
I was sure to cover my ass with 'standard'. You're just a young pup is the PS3 was your 1st console too :p

I turned my back on the Microcomputers ( I was a ZX and ST fanboy) in 87 with the Master System and have been a console fanboy ever since. Never had a problem with SEGA porting its MD, Mega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast games to the PC and don't see why SONY fans are so worried. It's not like FF7 or MGS being on the PC hurt the PS1. Given the high cost of games these days PC developers need console users and console developers need the PC user.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I am middle of the road on the issue. I've been mostly a console gamer, but since I've got my low end gaming laptop, my PS5 hasn't gotten as much love. My laptop can't play games as well as my PS5, but I'm never at a lost for games with good gameplay.

If I could afford to build mid to high end gaming computer, I would go PC, but as a broke, consoles still provide the best experience for my economic level. Plus consoles allowing game sharing with other accounts does save me some money if my wife wants to play a game too. (I don't think you can share steam games with another windows account.)

When I think about it, maybe people just prefer what they can afford.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I already mainly game on PC so if Sony released their titles Day 1 on Steam, there would be no need for a PS5.

Now if Sony decided that EGS is their choice of PC storefront or released their own half baked PC platform, then I don’t know if I would bite.

Fabieter

I am middle of the road on the issue. I've been mostly a console gamer, but since I've got my low end gaming laptop, my PS5 hasn't gotten as much love. My laptop can't play games as well as my PS5, but I'm never at a lost for games with good gameplay.

If I could afford to build mid to high end gaming computer, I would go PC, but as a broke, consoles still provide the best experience for my economic level. Plus consoles allowing game sharing with other accounts does save me some money if my wife wants to play a game too.

When I think about it, maybe people just prefer what they can afford.

There is family sharing on pc too, it only works while the other person isn't playing tho except the main account goes offline and plays some sp games than it still works.

I predict the ps5 is the last 100m non nintendo sold ever. And imo the only reason ps5 with their current shit going on hitting 100m will be gta vi(not available day one on pc).

Fabieter

I would, but only because I'm bothered about graphics, and even then only if Sony don't release a Pro version. All things being equal, I'd rather have a console.

Looking on helldivers 2 it seems like they stopped carrying about graphics on ps5 at a certain point and just continued with the pc version. The pc version feels like next gen to the ps5 version and it's more expensive.

Go_Ly_Dow

I mainly buy Playstation for 2 simple reasons:
1. Japanese 3rd party support
2. A handful of 1st party games (becoming less important from this gen).

If all these games can day 1 to PC, I'd probably invest in a high end gaming PC.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I mainly buy Playstation for 2 simple reasons:
1. Japanese 3rd party support
2. A handful of 1st party games (becoming less important from this gen).

If all these games can day 1 to PC, I'd probably invest in a high end gaming PC.

Sony already lost exclusivity to 99% of the japanese made games to pc. The only reason I liked playstation and Nintendo is the very same reason.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Gaming should be a convenience for everyone and also in your household. Why move away from convenience to go to a platform that gives you no convenience at all.

I game on both but consoles are just so much better for daily gaming for everyone.

MikeM

I was sure to cover my ass with 'standard'. You're just a young pup is the PS3 was your 1st console too :p

I turned my back on the Microcomputers ( I was a ZX and ST fanboy) in 87 with the Master System and have been a console fanboy ever since. Never had a problem with SEGA porting its MD, Mega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast games to the PC and don't see why SONY fans are so worried. It's not like FF7 or MGS being on the PC hurt the PS1. Given the high cost of games these days PC developers need console users and console developers need the PC user.
Nah man. My first console was an Atari lol

phant0m

No. I like the living room, big-screen couch experience for a lot of single player games (especially Sony 1P stuff).

PC is my go to shooters, MMO, CRPGs. And pretty much everything multiplayer since that’s where my friends play.

Duchess

I wouldn't. But I do know that I'll probably be moving on from console gaming after this generation. I actually intend to get a PS5 Pro, if that happens, but won't bother with a PS6 (if that is also a thing).

My list of games to play is huge, and with MS bringing their titles over to PS5, the list will only get longer. I'll be on PS5 [Pro] for 10 more years, for sure.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
No, I'd rather keep my PS5 and PC.

Not only is it a parts/cost issue, there's also the physical discs, ease of use, portability (Much easier moving my PS5 over my tower), etc

I like the way it is.

I'm the only one out of my friends to own a PS5. They're Xbox/PC

Last edited:

Del_X

Playing shoot and bang bang games with M+KB is always better unless you are a complete fucking pleb. Ironically the only thing keeping a PS5 in the house is GTAVI which isn't a Sony property.

Last edited:

NT80

Let's be real:

No. In the last 2 gens I've had both but in the current gen I feel no motivation to get a console due to lack of exclusives and poor performance. I've never learned to change anything but the most basic PC parts. Cost might be a factor but if you play anything online that gap will close over time considering the increasing cost of online play on console.

yurinka

Sony won't put all their exclusives there. At least not before they put there their own PSN PC store with full cross-buy, cross-play, cross-save, trophies etc. as they did with the digital games in the different PSs, keeping the same library and platform in both places and grow it enough.

Even if they'd do it I'd continue on console because of cheaper hardware, no need to worry about if my PC runs decently each game and other issues, easy of use and pick up and play in the living room sofa.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Nah, pc gaming is a lot more expensive.

Not "a lot" for console equivalent builds

Didn't bother even to really optimize this as bundles and deals would lower this much further, with the 6700XT often dropping in prices, or the intel or AMD bundles would lower prices of CPU/motherboard/memory.

I could probably even shave off to a lower tier CPU as really consoles aren't really stressing this with the equivalent settings. Digital Foundry used a mere 12400F here

It's expensive if you want top tier. A reasonable mid range PC is fine. With deals and a bit of time spent optimizing it (which I don't have for the sake of an argument), I would see this easily go in the ~$650 range. Then you don't pay for online subscriptions and you get cheap deals on games from competing stores. Easily evaporates the difference.

FrankWza

The "fanboy" stuff was with regard to PS fans who say they don't want PS games on PC.
This is a made up narrative. The truth is people see the ONE console manufacturer that did this and would have been out of the business long ago if not for their being backed by Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo don't have that luxury. I can easily say the people that want this are just being fan boys the other way because they are hoping it happens to Playstation. We have one example and it's been brutal. Give your examples of the great success story of day one on pc...

No. In the last 2 gens I've had both but in the current gen I feel no motivation to get a console due to lack of exclusives and poor performance. I've never learned to change anything but the most basic PC parts. Cost might be a factor but if you play anything online that gap will close over time considering the increasing cost of online play on console.
It's still a console exclusive and this performance ticket I don't get
Since 3DFX PC's have had better gfx and performance. Yet I never saw that brought up in the PS 1 days when so many of the better so-called PS exclusives were coming out on PC.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I got a Core i9 10900K with a 4070 Super and I also run 4K with DLSS. I'm guite happy with it for the moment.
Yea for most games, it's sufficient, right? I think my concern is really about future UE5 games. While games like Remnant 2 played great after a bit of tinkering with the settings I feel like there's gonna be some games coming out within the next year or so that might push things to the limit.

I hope Sony continues to go day and date with PC after Helldivers 2 success, but if they keep a wide gap between releases I might just say fuck it and get the Pro.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I game on both but consoles are just so much better for daily gaming for everyone.
For everyone? I mean if that were the case no one would be gaming on PC....
The "fanboy" stuff was with regard to PS fans who say they don't want PS games on PC.
the whole point of the thread was to point out the hypocrisy of/how fragile the "everybody will get a PC if Sony goes day and date" narrative is. It's unlikely and absurd for people to just drop the gaming platform they've had for years for PC just because... reasons.

NT80

It's still a console exclusive and this performance ticket I don't get
Since 3DFX PC's have had better gfx and performance. Yet I never saw that brought up in the PS 1 days when so many of the better so-called PS exclusives were coming out on PC.
There's very few exclusives that won't end up on PC eventually and I'm patient. What were the better PS1 exclusives coming out on PC at that time? Performance wise it seems worse this gen or it could be that I've gotten spoiled. A pro console might be worthwhile but otherwise I don't see the point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nope. PC is digital only for a while and is pc gaming dead? Its booming!

Expectations for PC gaming is different than console gaming. You can't put all PS6 games on PC AND also make the PS6 digital only and expect to keep the same amount of PlayStation gamers. The number will decrease quickly. Not sure how this is obvious.

Top Bottom