• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets build the perfect PSP-2

egbthh.jpg

My version:

Start with a PSP-GO. The size, the sliding screen, the general appearance is a great starting point.

Add:

+ A second analog stick
+ Touch screen
+ The CPU/ graphics technology you can fit in the package
+ 32/64 gig harddrive

Release an external UMD reader ($35) that lets people burn UMD games/ movies onto the harddrive.

Release 2 SKUS. One for $250 with the external UMD drive included and 64 gig HDD, and one for $199 with no drive and 32gig HDD.

Instant MEGA-SELLER.

What am I missing?

Instant blowjobs and a perpetual coffee dispenser.

Seriously though, just make it a PSP Go on steroids, throw in a second nub/stick, some motion sensing tech and a physical media drive and that's all you need to do. Well, all you need to do to make a good console, whether or not that would sell it is a different matter.

Needs trophies for games, access to friends lists and better interaction with the PS3 XMB.

Actually, the interface we see on the PSP2 might give an indication on what to expect for the PS4.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Current PSP

minus

absurdist meme perpetuators parroting that it has no games when it clearly has a totally excellent library

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Skip the UMD, just ship games on flash cards like DS. Couple of GB storage for saves and downloaded games, with SD slot for expansion (can run games directly from SD).

HDMI out. Sync up with a DS3 so you can play while connected to your TV

Full PS3 level PSN

3D without glasses

Motion sensing stuff

Accessory UMD reader clips onto rear for BC

Decent web browser using touch. Media player etc all controllable with it closed (keep buttons for games only)

As much power as you can squeeze in for a decent price point and battery life. slightly sub-PS3 with a lower res screen should be doable I'd think

Dennis

Banned
McNum said:
What kind of battery life are we talking? Anything less than 7 hours is a disaster for a portable.
Why? I have never understood this obsession with battery life. Do you really commute for 7 hours straight? If not, surely there is opportunity to recharge.

Moar graphical power, please. 4 hour battery life is fine.

Collapsible but somehow not with the cruddy PSP-Go form factor, two analog sticks/nubs, capable of PS1, PS2, and PSP emulation (still haven't figured out how four shoulder buttons instead of two would be ergonomic whatsoever, of course), and takes some sort of proprietary solid state/cartridge storage for games. Not a phone. No stupid UMD attachment, for the love of god, nor a UMD drive. Fuck UMD. Really good launch lineup. Basic OS feature parity with the PS3 (where appropriate). Also, a fucking miracle.

Gravijah

badcrumble said:
Collapsible but somehow not with the cruddy PSP-Go form factor, two analog sticks/nubs, capable of PS1, PS2, and PSP emulation (still haven't figured out how four shoulder buttons instead of two would be ergonomic whatsoever, of course), and takes some sort of proprietary solid state/cartridge storage for games. Not a phone. No stupid UMD attachment, for the love of god. Really good launch lineup. Also, a fucking miracle.

They need to find a way to make it a clamshell design. I like having a free screen protector.

If you want it to work closed with a touch screen you probably want to add motion sensors too. An iPhone with shoulder buttons is better than an iPhone.
I was surprised when the pspGo I tried felt really cheap, like it was made out of a tic tacs box, perhaps the demo units were lower quality.

[Nintex]

2 Analog sticks
ATi Radeon 6000 series GPU
Custom Intel i7 thing

Launch with Half Life 3, Dragon Quest X, ZOE3, The Last Guardian, Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void.... all exclusive.

[Nintex] said:
2 Analog sticks
Custom Intel i7 thing

Launch with Half Life 3, Dragon Quest X, ZOE3, The Last Guardian, Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void.... all exclusive.
Don't forget Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VIIR, Shenmue 3, and Diablo 3!

Make a relatively powerful device with touch and regular controls that focuses on good mobile games, not high profile games that I'd rather play on a big TV (like 50% of PSPs current library).

Integrate PSN and trophies.

Make it affordable.

[Nintex] said:
2 Analog sticks
Custom Intel i7 thing

That wrist-hologram thing Shion had in Xenosaga, except without surreptitiously downloading my soul and memories to the rebooted universe to follow after the bad guy destroys everything.

MrPliskin

Banned
[Nintex] said:
2 Analog sticks
Custom Intel i7 thing

:lol

10/10

if it's not backwards compatible with psp games :( smh

touch screen is a given so probably phone features, i dont want that :/

Guevara said:
Has to be under $249 or forget it.

this, but i will guess about $300 if it functions as a phone.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to happen, but:
HDMI Out.
Running Android
Compatible with DS3 and Move, split screen MP on HDMI mode.
Capacitive Touch screen.
Dual analogs
16+ GB SSD.
2 Ghz, dual core Cortex-A15.
512MB of RAM
Multicore SGXMP
720p screen
10 hours of battery life.

[Nintex]

QuiteWhittle said:
Don't forget Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VIIR, and Shenmue 3, and Diablo 3!
Also Duke Nukem Forever, Resident Evil 6(by Mikami), Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 4... someone get on this already.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DennisK4 said:
Why? I have never understood this obsession with battery life. Do you really commute for 7 hours straight? If not, surely there is opportunity to recharge.

Nintendo would appreciate Sony going with this strategy I'm sure.

PSP really needs to find a niche. Somebody somewhere said something about an online infrastructure giving it the XboX Live of handhelds. Something like that is maybe a step in the right direction.

Aeana

Warm Machine said:
It needs to be if it should ever want to sell.
People keep suggesting this, but it kind of baffles me, since people only need one phone. On the other hand, people buy more than one gaming handheld.

DennisK4 said:

Roadtrips, plane rides, etc. Plus, you can't play while charging without shortening the life of the battery, right?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
After the 3DS hardware thread I can only imagine what people might think "adequate" tech for PSP2 would be.

This is the problem I have. 3DS is more or less the sweet spot. It's a good enough bump and not so much that development costs will rocket too much from the PSP and increase game prices to 50-60 bucks. Meanwhile, you got the PSP-2... I mean, what more do you really need from a portable handheld graphically?

Your playing on a small screen meant for portable, sometimes quick session gaming. I don't think a console 360/PS3 graphical experience is really needed. What I want to change is how we play games and use our gaming devices.

[Nintex] said:
Also Duke Nukem Forever, Resident Evil 6(by Mikami), Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 4... someone get on this already.
While we're at it, New Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Dread would be decent additions as well.

Top Bottom