• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets build the perfect PSP-2

shinki

Neo Member
With Sony pushing 3D so much on PS3 it would be surprising if their new handheld didn't have 3D capability. Not to mention that without it they are instantly another step behind the 3DS.

As it has always been a one screen system I imagine that will be the same again, and so the rumours about touch controls on the back would make sense as I'm not sure 3D and touch on the same screen would be very intuitive.

The second nub is a no brainer. Moving completely digital I am less sure of, as it would lose shelf-space completely. UMD as a format is totally dud though, so none of that please. A cartridge format would be a good move at this point, they tried to sell UMD as a movies and games format but now I don't think there is room to even try to market a new physical format for movies, digital will suffice.

So yeah, 3D, back touch controls and a game-only catridge format please.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- Having the customer choose if they want their PSP2 to have phone capabilities or go with the standard non-phone version (like iPhone and iTouch).
- PSN playing a big role (minis, downloadables, online play).
- Trophies.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
It just has to have the ability to make phone calls. I'm not kidding. That way, Sony could concentrate on the PSP 2 instead of having to bother with a Playstation phone
or Apple advertising their iPhone as the only portable gaming platform that can interrupt your bejewled session with calls from your concerned mother.

DarkJC

Aeana said:
People keep suggesting this, but it kind of baffles me, since people only need one phone. On the other hand, people buy more than one gaming handheld.

Agreed, I think the last thing Sony would want to do is bet the success of the PSP2 on whether it can compete in the highly competitive smartphone marketplace. The most I can see them doing is having a separate phone model that can also play PSP2 games.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
QuiteWhittle said:
While we're at it, New Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Dread would be decent additions as well.
Also, Halo, Alan Wake, Diablo, SC and Gears of War collections.

entremet

No one uses hard drives for portables in the class of the psp anymore. Moving parts kill battery life and good luck with that price, unless it's heavily subsidized.

Some of you guys have ridiculous expectations when it comes to pricing, specs and battery life of mobile devices.

seady

Sony always throw the kitchen sink when it comes to their system.
Except UMD Drive.

So I expect super nice graphics, HD screen, Touch screen, 3D screen, 3G, Wifi, choice of phone/non-phone version. $300 base price.

DarkJC

entrement said:
No one uses hard drives for portables in the class of the psp anymore. Moving parts kill battery life and good luck with that price, unless it's heavily subsidized.

The only person who said hard drive is the OP and it's pretty obvious he just meant 32/64 GB of storage. (which isn't out of the question by any means)

Acosta

Relaxed Muscle said:
Damn, you couldn't choose a worse start, right?

Taking one the best designed handhelds in the history is hardly a bad start.

Perfect PSP?

Same design than Go, but with a physical support (not UMD ofc)
OLED
Better autonomy would be really good.
Especially designed for 2D games, doesn't have any analogue at all.
Tate mode like wonderswan for vertical shoot'em ups and shooters.
Comes with "Let's Fap together" the next episode of Ogre Tactics developed by Matsuno and Co.

You said perfect, right?

shinki

Neo Member
entrement said:

Some of you guys have ridiculous expectations when it comes to pricing, specs and battery life of mobile devices.

Most people still refer to solid state drives (or any non-removable storage which isn't RAM), like the one in the iPhone, as a hard drive.

For the folks who, for some crazy reason, think it needs to be a phone in order to succeed: would you take a PSP with a native Google Voice app and VoIP (basically, a Google Voice phone that works anywhere you can connect to WiFi) but no actual 3G connection? As a person with absolutely no plans to replace his iPhone or to pay for a second set of telephony hardware that I'm not using, I think that'd be pretty sweet.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
  • ram: 5999 gHz of ram
  • cpu: a quad core arm cortex a8 clocked at 5999ghz (can be easily overclocked)
  • gpu: something that can run crysis better than on pc's clocked @ 59999 ghz
  • Storage: 599 TB internal storage
  • 1680x1050 amoled 3d touchscreen display (there will be another touchpad on the back of the device so we will get easy ports of good games on the puny 3ds)
  • constant free 4g network available without any contract
  • Can has games from Android market + ships with android 2.1
  • Capable of ps3 emulation
  • Battery: 99 hours at highest briteness
pricepoint should be at $499.78 (Because the casual consumer will no that they r getting good value for theyre monie and will not pass it up. they will eat it up and be a bigger success than apple or the casual nintendo ds ever could hope to be

I'm not sure why people are so down on the UMD's. At this point it's a well established format (PSP had been around since 2004), and there are MILLIONS of UMD games floating around for super cheap. UMD drive inside the new PSP? Terrible idea. As someone said, moving parts + battery = bad idea. But a separate external drive, that allows you to burn your collection of games into the HDD would be HUGE. Sony just needs to figure out a way to prevent people from burning the game game on multiple PSPs. Backwards compatibility will make or break the PSP-2.

McNum

DennisK4 said:
Why? I have never understood this obsession with battery life. Do you really commute for 7 hours straight? If not, surely there is opportunity to recharge.

Moar graphical power, please. 4 hour battery life is fine.
No, 7 hours minimum. Think of who you want to sell it to. It's easy to sell portables to parents who can get a guarantee that the kids will be well behaved on the back seat for a trip to visit relatives. That can easily be a 2 hour drive each way. Plus if the kids want to show off their new game to the relatives, then you're looking at easily 5-6 hours of game time between charging, because you don't want to carry the charger around with you if you can avoid it. A handheld MUST be able to do this.

4 hours is laughable. But Nintendo is more or less the only company that has realized this. Until someone else gets wise, Nintendo will just continue to own the handheld market.

orioto

Good Art™
At least, sony HAS to kill with this. Handled are now bigger than consoles, there is more psp than ps3... I don't know what didn't work last time but this time, there is no reason they don't do something with it.

I think the shift in hardware importance and power can change lot of things for the handled market. Now that it's the first market, and there is all you need to do any games on it, they have to bring some real exclusives, no ports or "handled games", i'm speaking about da real shit.

The kind of shaders heavy tech that you see on 3ds, plus probably lot more horse power (especially if no 3D) can easily emulate some "ps3 from far away" graphics. They can have BIG things on this, from them and the third parties.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lonely1 said:
Not going to happen, but:
HDMI Out.
Running Android
Compatible with DS3 and Move, split screen MP on HDMI mode.
Capacitive Touch screen.
Dual analogs
16+ GB SSD.
2 Ghz, dual core Cortex-A15.
512MB of RAM
Multicore SGXMP
720p screen
10 hours of battery life.
Price: $599 (Also, for 10 hours of battery life you'd need a laptop battery, so good luck with that)

It worked with the PS3, right?

Come on, be realistic people. We all want the PSP2 to be a powerhouse but my HTC Desire using a 1Ghz Snapdragon and a modest GPU can munch through an entire charge in a few hours if I used the thing heavily (Camera work kills the battery so quickly it's not even funny). While cost is also an issue you cannot have unadulterated tech like the current gen of smartphones use because unlike phones which are used sparingly, handheld consoles use the full power of the device most of the time.

I would love to see a PSP 2 that is more connected with the Sony digital world, so it must be fully able to control the PS3 remotely for example, it must use solid state media for storage (I can't imagine that DS carts are that much more than UMD discs anyway now and storage isn't an issue) and have a touch screen for everything other than gaming reasons.

The PSP 2 could be the best MID ever, especially if Android 3.0 powered, but if one thing isn't an issue, graphical power is one of them.

- Same design as the PSPgo
- DD only
- 32Gb/64Gb internal memory
- Analogue buttons
- Longer battery life
- Touchscreen/3D/*Insert whatever you want here*
- B/C with the current PSP
- Open to homebrew
- Whatever internal specs they can, the more the merrier

I think that the current PSP/PSPGo is almost perfect, even if it's getting old since it launched in 2005.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Stop It said:
Price: $599

It worked with the PS3, right?

Come on, be realistic people. We all want the PSP2 to be a powerhouse but my HTC Desire using a 1Ghz Snapdragon and a modest GPU can munch through an entire charge in a few hours if I used the thing heavily (Camera work kills the battery so quickly it's not even funny). While cost is also an issue you cannot have unadulterated tech like the current gen of smartphones use because unlike phones which are used sparingly, handheld consoles use the full power of the device most of the time.

I would love to see a PSP 2 that is more connected with the Sony digital world, so it must be fully able to control the PS3 remotely for example, it must use solid state media for storage (I can't imagine that DS carts are that much more than UMD discs anyway now and storage isn't an issue) and have a touch screen for everything other than gaming reasons.

The PSP 2 could be the best MID ever, especially if Android 3.0 powered, but if one thing isn't an issue, graphical power is one of them.

Is what I want, not what makes Sony the most $$. I would buy it over an iPad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Serenade said:
  • ram: 5999 gHz of ram
  • cpu: a quad core arm cortex a8 clocked at 5999ghz (can be easily overclocked)
  • gpu: something that can run crysis better than on pc's clocked @ 59999 ghz
  • Storage: 599 TB internal storage
  • 1680x1050 amoled 3d touchscreen display (there will be another touchpad on the back of the device so we will get easy ports of good games on the puny 3ds)
  • constant free 4g network available without any contract
  • Can has games from Android market + ships with android 2.1
  • Capable of ps3 emulation
  • Battery: 99 hours at highest briteness
pricepoint should be at $499.78 (Because the casual consumer will no that they r getting good value for theyre monie and will not pass it up. they will eat it up and be a bigger success than apple or the casual nintendo ds ever could hope to be
Ew, GTFOH with that disgusting resolution. We're not in the the dark ages anymore, y'know.

One thing we don't want is a 3DS me-too system, so I don't actually think putting 3D on it is a good idea. Touchscreens, on the other hand, are a must. This is 2010 and in lieu of a keyboard, the typing solution on the PSP isn't going to cut it.

- Very high resolution display
- Wafer-thin form factor (clamshell or slide for buttons)
- Improved D-pad
- Software comes on solid state cards, not UMDs
- Touchpad/mini-trackball/anything-other-than-an-analog-stick for the right side of the system. Suck it up. You'll learn to love it.
- Capacitive touchscreen
- Browser at least as good as the one on the iDevices
- Customisable EVERYTHING
- Ridiculously long battery life

I'm even going to go ahead and suggest they make a phone out of it, with the caveat:

- 2 models available, a base model and a phone model. Phone model goes through annual refreshes.

Oni Jazar

Scuba Steve said:
578641169.jpg

Now that the 3DS can achieve PS2 level graphics and above, the lack of dual analog sticks will be an issue.

- codefree games
- merge trophies with PS3
- 2 analog sticks
- backwards compatibility
- better tech than 3DS

really all i need. give me the same quality library as PSP and i'm good to go.

Corto

weekend_warrior said:
I'm not sure why people are so down on the UMD's. At this point it's a well established format (PSP had been around since 2004), and there are MILLIONS of UMD games floating around for super cheap. UMD drive inside the new PSP? Terrible idea. As someone said, moving parts + battery = bad idea. But a separate external drive, that allows you to burn your collection of games into the HDD would be HUGE. Sony just needs to figure out a way to prevent people from burning the game game on multiple PSPs. Backwards compatibility will make or break the PSP-2.

I think Sony will take UMD to the backyard and put it to sleep with PSP2. It will have BC through PSN not with an extra accessory.

kassatsu said:
The ability to put more than one psn account on the fucking thing.

THIS ALSO!

Dennis

Banned
McNum said:
No, 7 hours minimum. Think of who you want to sell it to. It's easy to sell portables to parents who can get a guarantee that the kids will be well behaved on the back seat for a trip to visit relatives. That can easily be a 2 hour drive each way. Plus if the kids want to show off their new game to the relatives, then you're looking at easily 5-6 hours of game time between charging, because you don't want to carry the charger around with you if you can avoid it. A handheld MUST be able to do this.

4 hours is laughable. But Nintendo is more or less the only company that has realized this. Until someone else gets wise, Nintendo will just continue to own the handheld market.
I think Sony would be wise to give up chasing the little kids market. Nintendo is king there. Instead I would target a more mature audience and to do this it must be a more powerful device. If that is at the expense of battery life, then so be it.

Novella

Banned
Kagari said:
Man, you're hilarious.
I don't know why everyone's trying burn me.

All I mean is that good games are most important to me, and that's really all you need to get my attention.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DennisK4 said:
I think Sony would be wise to give up chasing the little kids market. Nintendo is king there. Instead I would target a more mature audience and to do this it must be a more powerful device. If that is at the expense of battery life, then so be it.
Nintendo is now targeting the Dudebro market with the 3DS. Going for lesser battery life won't ever be a good idea.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
DennisK4 said:
This is what Sony did with the PSP 1.

Corto

Novella said:
I don't know why everyone's trying burn me.

All I mean is that good games are most important to me.

I sincerely understood you, but here we can't never be sure if others are being facetious or not.

Top Bottom