• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about replacement 3.5mm headsets for PS4

Nice cans if they're the AKG K501/601/701?

Going theory is that the controller is the microphone, so you shouldn't need anything special.

AKG K601. I also have the ATH AD900, those should be great for positional sound in Killzone MP.

The DS4 contains the mic? I'm pretty sure it doesn't and only has a mono speaker.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wait, there's a Mic on the controller?

There is a headphone jack that works with the included headphone+mic (which is terrible)

original

Sky Chief

What is your budget? I have a pair of V-Moda M80s that work really well with the DS4 and they are going for $110 on NewEgg right now. These are really good sounding and really well made.

WiCkEd_Co

I wonder if my turtle beach head set will work if I get a jack converter, the one it came with work with the xbox 360.

Yes it will, finding a converter that works is the hard part, I did this for Wii U chat with my PX5s and a lot of the ones on amazon work for audio but not chat. I tested them with the PS4 and it work but I think I will just wait till they allow Bluetooth paring or Turtle Beach makes a wireless option. Hopefully like they did with the Bluetooth dongle for the Xbox 360.

Grinchy

Banned
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006PP3ZK6/

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

PS Vita headsets are amazing piece of hardware. I own 4 and I could never be happier.

It's great for your personal use. You can easily find one for $10 like this one. It has a sliding mute button for mic in case you don't want to talk; most mics don't have a dedicated mute button. It's also has good speakers and microphone.

Best of all, its official too!
I like these things a lot too, but without a ton of testing, I didn't love them on PS4. The base is just so strong that when people use the mic that came with PS4, it sounds pretty bad in the Vita earbud. I need to test with it some more, but that was my initial impression.

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

PS Vita headsets are amazing piece of hardware. I own 4 and I could never be happier.

It's great for your personal use. You can easily find one for $10 like this one. It has a sliding mute button for mic in case you don't want to talk; most mics don't have a dedicated mute button. It's also has good speakers and microphone.

thanks this is EXACTLY what I was looking for

Moofers

I got a 5C iPhone last month and it came with Apple EarPods which have great sound, but no mic. Is there a version that comes with a mic? I thought they just had volume control?

I have a Bose headset with a mic that I love and use with my iPhone every day; strangely enough it doesn't seem to function with the PS4. My friends can't hear me talk on it and I don't know why.

On a similar subject how do I make sure my PS4 camera isn't being used as a mic? I don't see the option anywhere.

Miggytronz

If you guys use a adapter make sure you use a 2.5mm 4 conductor cable to a 3.5mm 4 conductor.

EDIT: Just read the post above mine. No idea TB released that. Time to cancel adapter order.

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

I have to second this. The only thing that I don't like about the Vita earbuds is that the cable seems a bit thin, at least compared to the earbuds that came with my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Having a dedicated mute button on the mic is a godsend as well. Most earbuds with in-line mics don't have a mute button, only an answer/hang-up button. The Vita earbuds are cheap, sound amazing, and have a mute function.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/cables-parts/ps4-chat-cable/464

I see lots of earbud recommendations but I always had problems with those hurting my ears. granted I have only ever used the hard plastic type and not the ones with rubber inserts. do those kind not hurt the ear?

Hard plastic = earbuds
Rubber insert types are more commonly known as in-ear monitors (IEMs). I find them to be pretty comfy, especially if you use replace the stock tips with Comply tips.

Neverfade

Anyone with X4's brave enough to order than TB PS4 chat cable? The page doesn't' specifically say it will work with them, but unlike other pages of theirs, it doesn't specifically say it won't. Can't tell if it's not listed because they're legacy phones, or if it just won't work.

I plugged in my iPhone ear buds recently and could not get the audio to go through them. I was playing Killzone. Looked for a headphone option in the menus and couldn't find anything. I assumed the audio would pipe into the headphones as soon as you plugged them in...?

stang6604

i bought a turtle beach px4. sounds good and it comes with the aux cable to fit the controller. just waiting on the patch to go true wireless.

Oublieux

Westone just came out with a new non custom flagship in ear set, $500, with a mic, you should strive for something like that that runs on minimal juice as that port is just an average port. An they sound great in the past.

Balanced armature IEM's may have low impedance but still require more current to be driven; it's not going to cut it (or sound to its full potential) without an amp.

PS: Not to sound like an elitist, but a lot of these recommendations make me sad. Granted, if I were using earbuds/headphones on the controller jack itself to be detached from the console, I'd probably follow a similar route.

Kyoufu

I'm going to use my Sennheiser PC360 via USB, but I also have the option of using my Pulse wired or Astro Mixamp.

Looking forward to proper Pulse support though.

Hard plastic = earbuds
Rubber insert types are more commonly known as in-ear monitors (IEMs). I find them to be pretty comfy, especially if you use replace the stock tips with Comply tips.

I might want to stay away from those too. I like to use my amplifier for gameaudio so im not looking for headphones either.

im looking for more of the earhanger or 360 style mics. I can't seem to find many though

I might want to stay away from those too. I like to use my amplifier for gameaudio so im not looking for headphones either.

im looking more for the earhanger or 360 style mics. I can't seem to find many though

Same here, but even if I did find one, like that dreamgear one above, it's the US only, not canada. It's infuriating.

Codeblue

Gonna hook my headphone amp up to my PS4 through optical when it arrives next weekend:

xfs3jfA.jpg

and

6C1xF6H.jpg

I will still use the bundled headset for the microphone. Still searching for a better one though. I hear the Zalman clip on mic is decent. Any advice on clip on microphones, anyone?

You could try Modmic. They were having some weird distribution problems a while ago and some confusion over which versions included one feature, so not sure if they got all that sorted, but the mic is quality.

Ramirez

My A40's work great, but every time I play NBA 2K, the sound will start getting choppy, and eventually it goes completely out. The only way I can get them to work again is by restarting the system, but that didn't work every time last night.

qream

I stopped using earbuds after going through 3 different expensive ones in 3 years.
First, it was the $80 apple earbud, then Ultimate Ears that were twice as expensive, and then Sannheiser buds. After switching to over the ear headphones, I can't go back.
I've been using my V-Moda M100 and it has worked perfectly for party chat and for game audio. Having a standard headphone jack on the controller is the best thing Sony could have done.
clImsN0.jpg

Damn should I get the
PlayStation Vita In-ear Headset or the
DreamGEAR Broadcaster Headset - PlayStation 4

Vitas are will tested on here the BreamGEAR is an unknown but I like that style since I dont need to worry about the game sound coming from my Surround Sound. Just want chat through the set.

PS4 HDMI -> AV Receiver -> Receiver Headphone Out -> Any Headphone I want . Clip included cheap mono headset to shirt for mic purposes.

the official Vita earbuds work great for me. the nubs may hurt some people's ears, but they sound really good and they have an integrated mic.

i feel like im listening through my Pulse Elites but without the rumble.

Havok

I just got the Turtle Beach PX4s yesterday and can vouch for them. I'm not really an audiophile so I can't speak to any sort of specific stuff those guys would be able to, but Battlefield sure does sound nice, and the mic quality seems to be pretty good as well.

Top Bottom