• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about replacement 3.5mm headsets for PS4

Please help!

I have a pair of the older release razer carcharias (the one with seperate mic/audio cables) and I want to just plug them into the DS4.

WHAT THE HECK ADAPTER will be able to convert seperate mic/headphone cables into the combined jack I need to plug into the DS4?

I love my carcharias and have ZERO need to change to anything else. They fit my head better than anything I've ever used and have put in many 6+ hours sessions without fatigue.

I was watching Mark Bozon's PS4 Twitch stream the other day. He was using iPhone earbuds and the mic honestly sounded great. Shame about the actual earbuds themselves.

If I wanted to use the 360 headset, would I be able to? And what kind of 2.5 mm to 3.5mm jack would I need?

I'm curious about this too. Can it be done?

im not sure if they exist but you would need: 2.5mm(two ring) female ------> 3.5mm(three ring) male

it would look something like this
5630.jpg

I been trying to find some new earbuds too. I actually prefer wrap around with a mic and good sound. Earbuds never work for me for some reason

Ephemeris

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006PP3ZK6/

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

PS Vita headsets are amazing piece of hardware. I own 4 and I could never be happier.

It's great for your personal use. You can easily find one for $10 like this one. It has a sliding mute button for mic in case you don't want to talk; most mics don't have a dedicated mute button. It's also has good speakers and microphone.

Best of all, its official too!

Oh wow. I forgot I bought one of these. still sealed too

So all Turtle Beach Headsets need a converter? Thought the firmware updated to use USB headsets?

Was planning to use my Turtle Beach P11s if I didn't get PX22s when I get my PS4. Would I be better off just buying the official PS wireless headset?

How can you use the Xbox 360 wired headset with the Ps4? Doesn't it have a weird bulky connector where it plugs into the 360 controller?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So all Turtle Beach Headsets need a converter? Thought the firmware updated to use USB headsets?

Was planning to use my Turtle Beach P11s if I didn't get PX22s when I get my PS4. Would I be better off just buying the official PS wireless headset?

The Pulse Elite isn't going to sound as nice as a pair of PX4s, which cost the same.

Looks like I'm going to have to spring for a $7 chat cable.

I'll repeat. Vita headset has a mute button. MUTE Button! Costs way less than what you're paying for these.

You will need that mute button and you will thank me later! :p

Stop adding more wires and accessories to your controller. It will be a wired mess in a wireless world.

Sami+

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006PP3ZK6/

$9.99!

61Jei4uknmL._AA500_.jpg

PS Vita headsets are amazing piece of hardware. I own 4 and I could never be happier.

It's great for your personal use. You can easily find one for $10 like this one. It has a sliding mute button for mic in case you don't want to talk; most mics don't have a dedicated mute button. It's also has good speakers and microphone.

Best of all, its official too!

I've already got a pair of Apple Earpods that I got with my 5s; two questions -

The mic on those functions correctly if I want to use it for online play, correct?

Would you recommend the this pair over the Apple ones?

If the Vita ones are better I'd be happy to ditch the Apple ones, I don't find them very comfortable.

Not spending any money on headsets when I have a perfectly good one that Sony seems to have no interest in adding support for.

Support will come with the firmware update that includes support for the Pulse Elites. The Wireless Stereo Headset has been rebranded as the basic Pulse Headsets, but their basic principle of functionality is identical. Sony has stated that both will be supported.

Though since they only use the 2.4ghz wavelenght, I sometimes get interference with my Pulses on my PS3, so for the time being I'll stick to the Vita headset.

for people suggesting apple headphones, don't they use a different pinout on their headphones than everyone else with ground and mic swapped vs other peeps? isn't that why they don't work properly on Vita?

Cday

Banned
Optical -> External DAC -> Good Headphones

Why Sony thinks packing in ear infection buds is a good idea is beyond me.

The Pulse Elite isn't going to sound as nice as a pair of PX4s, which cost the same.

Looks like I'm going to have to spring for a $7 chat cable.

Wow, those look pretty pricey. Just checked the compatibility thread, and it seems like the Z11's work , audio and mic. Might get those in the meantime.

Gonna hook my headphone amp up to my PS4 through optical when it arrives next weekend:

xfs3jfA.jpg

and

6C1xF6H.jpg

I will still use the bundled headset for the microphone. Still searching for a better one though. I hear the Zalman clip on mic is decent. Any advice on clip on microphones, anyone?
Arg...my DAC is USB in only and my Schiit Magni doesn't have optical in either. My HE500 NEED the amp and the HD650s do too, although to a lesser extent.

Also, do all Apple-type earbud/mic sets work with the controller input?

mollipen

DO NOT USE APPLE IPHONE HEADPHONES!

Please. At least, if you're going to be using the mic. You can't hear it, but there's a constant buzz that is produced that will drive anybody you play with crazy.

It sucks, because I had planned to use mine, and then discovered that.

Tabris

How do the controls work on iPhone EarPods? i.e. does play/pause work as Mute or still play/pause? Any option to mute with it?

Tabris

DO NOT USE APPLE IPHONE HEADPHONES!

Please. At least, if you're going to be using the mic. You can't hear it, but there's a constant buzz that is produced that will drive anybody you play with crazy.

It sucks, because I had planned to use mine, and then discovered that.

Are you sure it's not just your mic?

I've already got a pair of Apple Earpods that I got with my 5s; two questions -

The mic on those functions correctly if I want to use it for online play, correct?

Would you recommend the this pair over the Apple ones?

If the Vita ones are better I'd be happy to ditch the Apple ones, I don't find them very comfortable.

Yes. The mic on both Vita and Apple earphones/earbuds work perfectly for gaming.

I personally went for Vita ones because:

1. Apple earbuds do not stick in my ears, ever. If they sit in your ear, then don't spend money on this.

2. I always talk with my brother or friends or whatnot, and I would like to have the ability to mute the mic at will. Apple (or any cellphone) mic doesn't have a dedicated mute button to mute when you don't feel like talking. Vita has a mute button.

All in all, it's a $10 investment in something that will be dedicated for gaming and will be replaced by Sony if they fuck up, so having one warranty spot helps too. I love the mic mute button (lol). Its best to use something that is OFFICIALLY supported by Sony in case shit happens, and Vita headsets are officially supported. :)

MercuryLS

Banned
I'll repeat. Vita headset has a mute button. MUTE Button! Costs way less than what you're paying for these.

You will need that mute button and you will thank me later! :p

Stop adding more wires and accessories to your controller. It will be a wired mess in a wireless world.

I want a mono headset. Also, I prefer a wired headset, don't like dealing with charging a headset.

Violater

Support will come with the firmware update that includes support for the Pulse Elites. The Wireless Stereo Headset has been rebranded as the basic Pulse Headsets, but their basic principle of functionality is identical. Sony has stated that both will be supported.

Though since they only use the 2.4ghz wavelenght, I sometimes get interference with my Pulses on my PS3, so for the time being I'll stick to the Vita headset.

I don't appreciate being a beta tester for this console launch.
As for earbuds I can't use them, they need to roll out the next firmware this week.

iPhone earpods

We tried party chat with the iPhone EarPods and unfortunately they cause strange feedback. IGN claims the same thing and it's only with the iPhone EarPods so...

Edit: it works fine if you just wanna listen to game audio. But when you try chatting with someone all hell breaks loose

I want a mono headset. Also, I prefer a wired headset, don't like dealing with charging a headset.

But stereo is better! :p

Your personal choice, I suppose. I like stereo because I can stop using my TV audio and listen straight through the vita headset; I'm so glad all in-game audio and chat audio can be heard by one pair of headphones. Oh and you don't have to charge the vita headsets. I hate connecting multiple devices. I tried the whole "amp + headphone" setup in the PS3 days, and its just a mess to deal with.

mollipen

Are you sure it's not just your mic?

There have been numerous people in here mentioning this issue.

Of course, it could be a question of the exact model/generation of Apple's iPhone headset. My trial was with the most recent version (one that comes with the 5S).

Don't want to use the headset for audio, just chatting. Doesn't make sense to get a stereo headset as I would have to tuck one headphone into the top of my shirt.

Ahh makes sense. Yeah, I am using these headsets for game audio as well. Personal preferences, I suppose.

If you want a mono headset, try using the licensed ones too. They are mostly mono and will do the trick.

I wish there was a place where you could try all headsets!

iamjohn

There have been numerous people in here mentioning this issue.

Of course, it could be a question of the exact model/generation of Apple's iPhone headset. My trial was with the most recent version (one that comes with the 5S).

So did those ones cause buzzing too? Or is it just prior generation ones?

Gxgear

Any cheap solutions for a headphone/mic combo? If so might considering getting another pair of Audio Technica's.

People referring to earbuds w/ mics as headsets always confuses me :/

Sami+

Yes. The mic on both Vita and Apple earphones/earbuds work perfectly for gaming.

I personally went for Vita ones because:

1. Apple earbuds do not stick in my ears, ever. If they sit in your ear, then don't spend money on this.

2. I always talk with my brother or friends or whatnot, and I would like to have the ability to mute the mic at will. Apple (or any cellphone) mic doesn't have a dedicated mute button to mute when you don't feel like talking. Vita has a mute button.

All in all, it's a $10 investment in something that will be dedicated for gaming and will be replaced by Sony if they fuck up, so having one warranty spot helps too. I love the mic mute button (lol). Its best to use something that is OFFICIALLY supported by Sony in case shit happens, and Vita headsets are officially supported. :)

I don't find them very comfortable. If I use it for more than twenty minutes my ears get sore, haha. Glad I can get the Vita ones, then. I'll stick with that. Thanks. c:

Top Bottom