• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Star Trek Voyager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

I think that was very ok to good show. Maybe because I am watching only now and only the best episodes. I remember back in the 90s people crazy with the quality of Voyager.

What I do now is search the 2.5-4 stars episodes in Jammer reviews and watch outside any order. (http://www.jammersreviews.com/)

I like so much because most episodes are stand alones, like the good days of TNG. All that endless war in DS9 is not so fun to watch after the show ends.

They use and abuse of time travel. I can say that 20% of episodes have something to do with time travel. But I dont care, time travel always is fun.

Thinking now, Voyager remember me a lot of Dungeons And Dragons cartoon. Each episode they almost find a way to home, only to not work in the end.
index2.jpg

Other thing I like very much is the captain Janeway. I found her very sexy. A real woman. Kate Mulgrew is not much beautiful, but real. Maybe is a milf fetish.
292px-Janeway_Season1.jpg

And we have the Doctor. What amazing character. He is the most human Star Trek chracter since the original series. Robert Picard is the man.
doctor.jpg

The ship deserves our praise too. Has an iconic design, make sense being an exploration vessel and grown with more tech during the show seasons. I dont see a ship important to the crew as Voyager since Space Battleship Yamato.
VoyagerStarship.jpg

---

Soooo, what is bad? Almost all the others characteres.

Lets start with Tuvok. He has zero charism. Even for a Vulcan. The actor dont be fit for the role (and not because he is black). Your dialogues and episodes roles dont helped either.
Tuvok.jpg

Tom Paris. By the first episode, he was supposed to be rogue like Han Solo, but become nothing in special.
Paris2.jpg

Elanna Torres. What they are thinking? She is to be a strong woman? A sexy woman? Again, become nothing in special.
BelannaTorres.jpg

Harry Kim. I think he is fine. Because since the first episode you know they are nothing special and keep this way to the entire series.
250px-HarryKim.jpg

Neelix. He is the Jar Jar of Voyager.

---

And we have Chakotay and Seven of Nine. I keep both to the end because the two are middle to good characters. Seven of Nine was a patch necessary because the lack of charism from the others.

seven-chakotay_480x360.jpg

But the awful thing was the romance between Chakotay and Seven of Nine. Dont make any sense. Chakotay and Janeway were the couple. But seem that older woman cant kiss in TV. And the Doctor was in love with Seven of Nine. Stupid idea from the writers.

Talking about stupid ideas, the final episode was a let down. Voyager deserved a better, more developed ending.

endgame3.jpg

KPJZKC

The fact that you got Torres' name wrong really makes me doubt how much attention you were paying when you watched Voyager :p

In relation to show itself, loved it at the time, but recently went back to watch it again and found the writing/pacing to be absolutely awful. Having themes rammed down my throat within the first 3 minutes of each episode that the rest of it would revolve around.

That story arc about the Year of Hell was probably the high point in the series for me. Was interesting to see how durable a starfleet ship could be, barely surviving almost constant assaults from enemies for months on end without a convenient drydock to fly to.

Kaladin

Lets just admit that Emergency Medical Hologram Mark I was the best part of that show and be done with it.

I'm really glad I can watch these on Netflix. I watched a lot of them when they originally aired, but not the whole show in it's entirety. Are there any episodes you'd recommend?

Aiii

So not worth it
That story arc about the Year of Hell was probably the high point in the series for me. Was interesting to see how durable a starfleet ship could be, barely surviving almost constant assaults from enemies for months on end without a convenient drydock to fly to.

Year of Hell would have been an amazing season-long story arc. Loved everything about it, but a shame they only managed to get 2 episodes out of that (not counting the foreshadowing here and there in S3).

Jackpot

Banned
In Star TNG Picard ended up zillions of light years from home, in the same situation as Voyager, him and his crew worked out how to get home in 60 minutes tops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_No_One_Has_Gone_Before

Janeway took 7 seasons.

You have to open your mind to the possibility she might have been a bit rubbish.

If it was Picard in command Voyager would have ended with the first episode. He would have been able to hold off the Kazon so that they could use the caretaker's array to go back home instead of destroying it and fleeing.

Year of Hell would have been an amazing season-long story arc. Loved everything about it, but a shame they only managed to get 2 episodes out of that (not counting the foreshadowing here and there in S3).

Rick Berman wanted the same thing for the Dominion war - have it a few episodes at most (no In the Pale Moonlight). In DS9 he didn't get his way, in Voyager he did. The difference is palpable.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I always liked Voyager and the episodic format does make it easier to go back to than DS9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVNyiF6xqQ

I used to work at a UPN affiliate and I made this heartfelt ad for Voyager in the 90's using Creed's Higher totally unironnically.

It was a different time, back then.

The only redeeming thing about Voyager for me was the Doctor.
Janeway was boring and a crap captain, and Seven of Nine could have been replaced with a brick wall and I probably wouldn't have noticed.

In Star TNG Picard ended up zillions of light years from home, in the same situation as Voyager, he and his crew worked out how to get home in 60 minutes tops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_No_One_Has_Gone_Before

Janeway took 7 seasons.

You have to open your mind to the possibility she might have been a bit rubbish.

Janeway didn't have The Traveler on board.

I've only seen the first 2 seasons, but I do like what I've seen. I know what to expect out of it (reset button, infinite torpedoes and shuttlecraft, Harry Kim gets no character development), so I think I'll enjoy it more than a lot of people. Also, I don't hate Neelix.

Kimaka

One good thing I can say about Voyager is that Seven turned out better than I expected and became one of the better female characters of the Trek series. Also, the Doctor is great. He and Seven are the only ones pushing me through Voyager.

Drazgul

I'm watching it again now, second time ever (and it's been years so I've completely forgotten most episodes).

Apart from The Doctor, the whole principal cast is pretty much meh. I don't hate any of them as such, but neither are they even close to some of the godly TNG/DS9 cast.

Oh and Paris should've stayed Nicholas Locarno - the fact that they renamed him just to get out of some royalty expenses was kinda bullshit.

I love both this and DS9. Totally different flavors and very interesting thought experiments with various scenarios from the Star Trek universe. It's a lot easier for me to go back and watch DS9 and Voyager than it is to go back and watch TNG; it is just so incredibly predictable.

dalin80

Banned
I have ended up in some disturbing alternate dimension where everyones opinions are horribly wrong. Why couldn't I have ended up somewhere decent like the silent hill torture world and not the universe where people think voyager is good.

Morts

I basically grew up with this show so despite it being objectively kinda crappy I'll always have a soft spot for it. I absolutely love the design of the ship, too.

There's some great Star Trek in there though. Year of Hell (even if it should've been a longer arc), Timeless, um... that other one...

Kaladin

Janeway didn't have The Traveler on board.

I've only seen the first 2 seasons, but I do like what I've seen. I know what to expect out of it (reset button, infinite torpedoes and shuttlecraft, Harry Kim gets no character development), so I think I'll enjoy it more than a lot of people. Also, I don't hate Neelix.

Why didn't Q send Janeway home? I know it was probably expanded on in one of the Q episodes.....and I know Q wasn't that crazy by the time he met up with Voyager, but still, it could have happened.

phaonaut

I loved voyager, but I like most things Star Trek. I also think most characters grew into their roles pretty well. Tuvok was really stale early in the show, but interactions with Janeway, Kim and Neelix bloomed later in the show.

Also out of all the Star Trek series, Voyager was more exploration heavy (everything was new) and still had a central narrative keeping pressure on the pace of the story.

DS9>Next Generation>Voyager>TOS>Enterprise

I'm the only one on GAF who loves this show.

I know its stupid and with crazy story and weird characters.
Having said all that I still love the series watched it about 4 times the entire series that is.

marrec

Banned
Guys, DS9 is the second best Star Trek after TNG. Stop saying wrong things.

Voyager... I really liked it when I was a kid, but that's because I was jonesing for more Star Trek.

Looking back on it though... it's only on the level of like, SG1 as far as Sci-Fi goes.

Horrible OP.

Janeway was rubbish and the ship was not a looker.

The Doctor, Seven and Tuvok are the only good characters. The rest are middling - Chakotay - to poor - Paris, Kim, Janeway, Torres - or "shoot me so I don't have to watch any more" terrible - Neelix.

It's fine as stand-alone episodes and I really do like that about the show compared to say, DS9, but that's only if you can get over the fact that either the characters are bland and awful and never change, or they have a spark of promise but, again, never change or progress in any meaningful manner. Seven gets a TON of character development, which is fine as you'd probably expect that from a character that explores humanity in a similar way to Data, but Seven's never anywhere near as compelling of a character as him and the continued focus on her path seems like a slap in the face to a character like Chakotay who spends the entirety of Voyager's run as a one-note cliche. At least its not Enterprise, though.

TOS > TNG > DS9 > VOY > ENT

Why didn't Q send Janeway home? I know it was probably expanded on in one of the Q episodes.....and I know Q wasn't that crazy by the time he met up with Voyager, but still, it could have happened.

I'm sure he says something about the things Voyager would accomplish on its mission being too important to just erase from ever happening, or some such. There's a few such references to the mark Voyager's journey supposedly leaves on the Delta quadrant (and at least one episode about it, I'm sure).

Had a massive crush on Seven when I was a kid. Oh wait I still do.

I think Voyager got much better after season 3, the inclusion of the Borg was simultaneously great and lazy, but they sure needed something to replace the stupid Kazon. Should have seen more of species 847.

I really like that alternate future episode where Voyager crashes and Kim needs to correct his mistake, pretty much his only shinning moment. Aside from that episode were he fucking died and got replaced with an alternate version of himself lol.

Nekofrog

Banned
Awful, awful, awful show that had SO MUCH FUCKING POTENTIAL, utterly pissed away by bad writing, complete misunderstanding of what Star Trek should be, and a general apathy towards science fiction in general.

There were some gems, and when the stars aligned and everyone was on their A game is was a GREAT show. Unfortunately, this only happened for 3-4 episodes per season.

bjork

Only Star Trek I've ever watched was about half of movie 6 and then maybe two seasons of Voyager. So here is my two-word Voyager review:

Fuck Neelix

Kaladin

It's fine as stand-alone episodes and I really do like that about the show compared to say, DS9, but that's only if you can get over the fact that either the characters are bland and awful and never change, or they have a spark of promise but, again, never change or progress in any meaningful manner.

I'm sure he says something about the things Voyager would accomplish on its mission being too important to just erase from ever happening, or some such. There's a few such references to the mark Voyager's journey supposedly leaves on the Delta quadrant (and at least one episode about it, I'm sure).

As to the first point, that's an issue with a lot of Trek. I especially noticed it in TNG a lot. You'd get character development in an episode, and then the next episode it can be like it never happened and it wouldn't be referenced again till they touched on the arc that deals with that particular development. It's a problem with television made for syndication like Star Trek was in general.

As for Q, I imagined that is right. Q had some good character development and became less of a dick and started respecting his place in the universe and individuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom