• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Star Trek Voyager

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Dude. You should watch DS9, at least. It's a great show in its own right, not just as a Trek series.

I used to have a hard time making it through episodes back then, and nowadays I don't really watch any tv shows at all. I've kind of always kept a distance from space shows and movies, and that's okay. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't have much to say, so I'm just going to go ahead and rank the series for myself:

Enterprise S3-S4 > DS9 > TNG > Enterprise S1-S2 > Voyager > TOS > TAS

I respect TOS for what it is, but it hasn't aged well. Voyager is solid and entertaining throughout, but is dragged down by some terrible characters. Enterprise S1-S2 are actually pretty solid as far as first seasons go, but they pale in comparison to the later seasons. TNG and DS9 are both stellar at times, but they are dragged down by a lot of terrible episodes sewn throughout. The later seasons of Enterprise I would say are the best and most consistent series of episodes in Star Trek.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't have much to say, so I'm just going to go ahead and rank the series for myself:

I respect TOS for what it is, but it hasn't aged well. Voyager is solid and entertaining throughout, but is dragged down by some terrible characters. Enterprise S1-S2 are actually pretty solid as far as first seasons go, but they pale in comparison to the later seasons. TNG and DS9 are both stellar at times, but they are dragged down by a lot of terrible episodes sewn throughout. The later seasons of Enterprise I would say are the best and most consistent series of episodes in Star Trek.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did like Enterprise. I don't think it ever got quite as high as the highest heights of DS9 or TNG.

A lot of season 2 was teeeeeeeerrrrrrible though. Absolutely awful.

It's easy to say Voyager had a lot of bad and leave it that, but I expect more...

We need to pinpoint the peak of its suck. NeoGAF, I submit my nomination for Worst Voyager Episode for your consideration: The Thaw

Htown

It's easy to say Voyager had a lot of bad and leave it that, but I expect more...

We need to pinpoint the peak of its suck. NeoGAF, I submit my nomination for Worst Voyager Episode for your consideration: The Thaw

no way

The Thaw is disqualified for worst episode, because it contains rare footage of Janeway actually being badass.

akira28

Voyager sucked, but Janeway was the most bangable tv Captain so far, yes.

I liked when she dressed up like the evil queen. It was a good look for her.

Camwi

Hi my name is steve and as a youngster i watched every episode of voyager on UPN. My family was poor and DS9 was only shown of weekends. I thought the show was good and i really liked the Doctor and Neelix's girlfriend.

But even then i thought DS9 shit all over voyager from a great distance. How do you not like Garak and the grubby scheming Quark

Garak is one of my favorite characters of all of television. The actor who played him did such a good job.

Hell, I'd say the acting in general on DS9 was far better than any other Star Trek series.

Voyager sucked, but Janeway was the most bangable tv Captain so far, yes.

I liked when she dressed up like the evil queen. It was a good look for her.

Yes, Janeway just exudes sex.

QLMZypb.gif

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I liked Voyager but after hearing complaints and then watching most episodes for myself, I agree it's one of the weaker one's. I probably can't determine that until I watch most of DS9 but for now I would say it's.

1) TNG
2) Abrams Trek
3) Enterprise
4) DS9
5) Voyager
6) TOS

They fucked up a lot of stuff like the Q Continuum and "Threshold".

marrec

Banned
I liked Voyager but after hearing complaints and then watching most episodes for myself, I agree it's one of the weaker one's. I probably can't determine that until I watch most of DS9 but for now I would say it's.

1) TNG
2) Abrams Trek
3) Enterprise
4) DS9
5) Voyager
6) TOS

They fucked up a lot of stuff like the Q Continuum and "Threshold".

Uuuhh....

I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion and all... but...

Well, it's just weird seeing Abrams Trek up there, because it has almost nothing in common with Trek except some names.

Rookje

I've seen every episode of Voyager a few times. I enjoyed it, but I'll agree the characters of Harry Kim, Paris, Torres etc were really weak. I enjoyed Kate Mulgrew though.

I found DS9 to be too intense for me, too much psudo religion stuff.

catmincer

I liked Voyager, it's probably the most accessable of the main series to newcomers.

The characters on the whole pissed me off however

- Neelix needs to die a horrible, horrible death.
- Kim was pointless
- Tuvok was boring
- Kes was boring
- Janeway was rather insane
- Torres was acceptable and at least had character development
- Paris was hot so that's totally something
- Seven and the Doctor was the redeeming characters, the only ones with decent character development and decent plots.
- I totally forgot about Chakotay, as did everyone else.

Nikodemos

*sigh*

Voyagers is crap, Janeway is insane and her crew is full of retards.
Succintly put.

Oh, and Odo isn't "the Spock-type of DS9". He has a lot of feelings: shame for his previous posting (Terok Nor security chief), near-irrational dislike of Quark, massive crush on Nerys etc.

Htown

I get mad every time I think about how much time DS9 and TNG spent in setting up the Maquis, to have a premise as awesome as a half-Starfleet, half-Maquis crew forced to work together to get home, and then to have it entirely ruined by the end of the first episode with everybody happily wearing Starfleet uniforms.

Ugh.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I get mad every time I think about how much time DS9 and TNG spent in setting up the Maquis, to have a premise as awesome as a half-Starfleet, half-Maquis crew forced to work together to get home, and then to have it entirely ruined by the end of the first episode with everybody happily wearing Starfleet uniforms.

Ugh.

Yup, as Ron Moore basically stated the writers of Voyager were pussies.

Darkmakaimura

Ugh.
Is that why there's that fan-made Star Trek: Renegades?

Effect

If it was Picard in command Voyager would have ended with the first episode. He would have been able to hold off the Kazon so that they could use the caretaker's array to go back home instead of destroying it and fleeing.

Rick Berman wanted the same thing for the Dominion war - have it a few episodes at most (no In the Pale Moonlight). In DS9 he didn't get his way, in Voyager he did. The difference is palpable.

I remember being pissed that nothing really came from the Year of Hell. After it was first shown and then they teased it would actually be covered and then for it to be a few episodes was disappointing. :( Glad he didn't get his way with DS9 as the Dominion War seasons were amazing. I liked Voyager in the end but there were a lot of missed opportunities and wasted potential. The highlight of that series for me is when they finally encountered the Borg and Seven of Nine was brought on board. Mostly everything Borg related was good but I think mainly because they knew they could not screw that up or fans would have their heads. Enterprise is the same but even worse off due to them being limited in what they could do because it's a prequel and deciding to mess around with time travel.

The Seven of Night and Chakotay romance came out nowhere and made no sense. Janeway and Chakotay made sense over the seasons as they got closer. The Doctor was the best character in the end.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Not much to say about Voyager.

It was a show with an ambitious premise but marred by cowardly execution. It was a show that became as generic as vanilla soft serve. Everyone knows it. What more is there to say?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Voyager was a great idea ruined by an incompetent production team. The characters were never consistent either, and most of them were ignored. The writers only focused on three characters leaving much of the cast as supporting cast members. The ship could magically replicate an endless supply of shuttlecraft.

Janeway was a terrible character. The entire series is based upon Janeway making a decision that proves she has no business commanding a ship. There is almost zero continuity in episodes, and no real danger to Voyager.

Poor Chakotay only had a half dozen focus episodes during the entire series run.

Kim was a joke, and I love SFDebris pointing out how he'll have to call the kid who brought him his drink in the pilot "Sir" when he gets back home. Tuvok was just another Vulcan, noting special or interesting about him.

Torres and Paris had a bad love story tacked on at the end that made little sense.

And Neelix was the Jar Jar of Star Trek.

Tom Paris. By the first episode, he was supposed to be rogue like Han Solo, but become nothing in special.
Paris2.jpg

He wasn't supposed to be Han Solo, he was supposed to be a TNG character played by the same actor. They changed the name and only so slightly tweaked the backstory so as to screw the writers of that TNG episode out of royalties.

Why does every Star Trek series need a Spock ripoff?

To be fair, TNG and DS9 only had a "Spock" character in that they had alien character who got to look in upon humanity. And I think in both cases that was really the only trait they shared. Data wasn't much like Spock, though I would say he was closer to Spok that DS9's Odo.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wouldn't go that far, but I did like Enterprise. I don't think it ever got quite as high as the highest heights of DS9 or TNG.

A lot of season 2 was teeeeeeeerrrrrrible though. Absolutely awful.

I do thing DS9 and TNG have greater highs. Beneath the Pale Moonlight is probably my favorite Trek episode ever. I just give Enterprise S3-S4 the nod since it's really damned consistent...longest stretch of good episodes in any Trek series.

gdt

I do thing DS9 and TNG have greater highs. Beneath the Pale Moonlight is probably my favorite Trek episode ever. I just give Enterprise S3-S4 the nod since it's really damned consistent...longest stretch of good episodes in any Trek series.

In The Pale Moonlight

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My issue with Enterprise, is even in S3 and S4 it only ever got good. Even with Voyager, I can point to a few episdoes like "Living Witness", or "Timeless" and put them along side some of the best episodes in the entire Trek Franchise. No Enterprise episode stands out like that.

Won

I still can't hate on the show. It's good enough, even with all the terrible characters and the reset button at the end of every episode.

I think I just have a soft spot for crazy captains.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
He wasn't supposed to be Han Solo, he was supposed to be a TNG character played by the same actor. They changed the name and only so slightly tweaked the backstory so as to screw the writers of that TNG episode out of royalties.
Sounds like a wonderful group of people to work with.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sounds like a wonderful group of people to work with.

TNG Character:
292px-Nicholas_Locarno.jpg

Nick Loracno: Led "Red Squad" precision flight team and talked team into performing a very dangerous (and illegal) stunt. Then a training accident leaves one cadet dead he gets the team to cover it up. Eventually the truth is revealed and Lorcano takes responsibility and is able to talk the Academy brass into not expelling the rest of his team, but only him.

Voyager Character:
292px-Tom_Paris%2C_2376.jpg

Tom Paris: Due to his own error, a shuttle accident causes the death of three officers and he tries to cover it up. He eventually comes clean and is discharged from Starfleet. In a later Voyager episode, a picture of Lorcano in uniform is shown on the desk of Paris' father.

Funny thing is the "official" reason given by the production team is Lorcano's actions made him "irredeemable" and that's why they made a new character.

Another fun Trek Fact:
Gene Roddenberry wrote lyrics to the original Star Trek theme song just so he would be entitled to half the royalties even though the lyrics were never used.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
But Voyager is in an emergency situation so they need Paris, no?

Paris was brought on board to help track down the Maquis. After being discharged from Starfleet he worked as a mercenary and was alter put in prison. There would be zero conflict in having Lorcano also become a mercenary after he was discharged.

Darkmakaimura

Season 3 is among the best Star Trek and space opera sci-fi I've seen on TV. Loved the Xindi arc. It felt like real space sci-fi to me, if that makes any sense. Going to completely agree at least Season 3 of Enterprise was among the best 'stretch' of episodes in all of Star Trek.

I feel Voyager is the least of the Trek series. No episodes I truly want to rewatch, few characters I actually liked, and nothing was terribly memorable. It might be that the likable Seven and The Doctor were over-used near the end, but that seems to have been the only way to keep things interesting. I did over time come to like B'Ellana and Paris before they too fell by the wayside.

DS9 episodes are also not very rewatchable for me...but it was entertaining and memorable when viewed in a solid run as I recently did again on Netflix. Many interesting characters (if not always likable) on all sides of what became an engrossing conflict near the end.

Of all things, I actually like rewatching select Enterprise episodes/arcs more than the other series. Season 3 being like a variant of the DS9 end-game and S4 just generally entertaining to watch. I rewatched that recently as well with the exception of the infamous last episode.

Baleoce

For me it goes:

DS9 > TNG > Enterprise S3-S4 > Voyager > TOS > Enterprise S1-S2 > TAS

I agree with what you say about S3-S4 Enterprise as well. Especially so in S4. They just went all out, and it finally found its footing. Unfortunately it was too late.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Voyager had a few likeable character. Enterprise had none. Which was too bad because as a Quantum leap fan I was already looking forward to Captain Archer.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Voyager is my favorite of the TV series *come at me*

It has my favorite Captain, Janeway. It has Seven of Nine who rocks. It has the best "doctor" character. And my favorite villain of the entire franchise shows up more than once, the Borg Queen <3

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm languishing in the seventh season of TNg during a rewatch. I hit "love me!!! loooooove meeeee!!!" and stalled.

TNG really was fairly spotty, if you go back and watch the WHOLE thing again. Still love it, though.

But as much as people complained about how Voyager leaned on the Borg, at least they really depicted the Borg as the galaxy-spanning menace they deserved to be.

Once Hugh came into the picture the Borg were straight-up stupid on TNG.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Voyager is my favorite of the TV series *come at me*

It has my favorite Captain, Janeway. It has Seven of Nine who rocks. It has the best "doctor" character. And my favorite villain of the entire franchise shows up more than once, the Borg Queen <3

But Janeway is a terrible leader. The entire set up for the show is a result of Janeway not being able to make the tough decisions. She blindly follows the prime directive one week, and ignores it the next.

But Janeway is a terrible leader. The entire set up for the show is a result of Janeway not being able to make the tough decisions. She blindly follows the prime directive one week, and ignores it the next.

Yup. The series should have been two episodes long. Use the array, send Voyager back, have a timed tri-cobalt bomb on it to explode a minute after they jump. Kazon get fucked.

Seriously that story should have been a two episode arc for TNG or even DS9 on the Defiant.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yup. The series should have been two episodes long. Use the array, send Voyager back, have a timed tri-cobalt bomb on it to explode a minute after they jump. Kazon get fucked.

Seriously that story should have been a two episode arc for TNG or even DS9 on the Defiant.
Or leave someone behind in a Shuttle to make sure the job gets done, or do it herself.

LowerLevel

Bah! Forget the rest, Op. I'm with you 100%! While not the best Trek, I found it at the very least an enjoyable show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom