• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Star Trek Voyager

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Jerry Ryan was the only reason I watched any of the Star Treks. None of the other could stand up to the original.

Kaladin

Why does every Star Trek series need a Spock ripoff?

The better question would be why every series needs a Vulcan / Human hybrid when anyone of that species is destined to become a Spock ripoff as Spock is the character they all have to look to for how to be a half Vulcan half Human character.

Mudcrab

People saying Voyager is better than DS9 and TNG are trolling right? Or is this one of those GAF in jokes I never seem to get?

Camwi

Voyager was ok, it had some episodes that I would hold up as some of the greatest in Star Trek history (that two parter, "Year of Hell" I think it was called?).

That being said, I fucking HATED Seven of Nine. She was ok at first, but after a while EVERY FRIGGIN' EPISODE she's the hero in the end that saves the ship. So annoying.

Wait, who was Spock in DS9?

Odo. Not as "Spockish" as Data or the Doctor, but he was definitely the "Spock character."

ToxicAdam

The problem with Voyager is that it was a slave to the ratings. Stunt casting, too much focus on 'popular' characters and dumbed-down storylines meant to appeal to the (dumb) masses.

By the time the main actors grew into their roles, it was weighed down by all that shit. There were high points, but you could watch them all in one afternoon.

Morts

The better question would be why every series needs a Vulcan / Human hybrid when anyone of that species is destined to become a Spock ripoff as Spock is the character they all have to look to for how to be a half Vulcan half Human character.

There was another Vulcan / Human hybrid?

The Vulcan/Data/Odo roles are pretty obviously there to provide an outsider's dispassionate commentary on humanity.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
tumblr_lv8raealug1qh57sco1_400.gif

Really?
I never bothered watching the animated series, so fair enough.

That would be the animated series or Enterprise.

I'd take Enterprise over Voyager any day of the week.

Season 3 was a better take on the "lone ship far from home" premise than the entirety of Voyager.

marrec

Banned
Odo. Not as "Spockish" as Data or the Doctor, but he was definitely the "Spock character."

I suppose in that he's meant to represent a perfect form of some virtue... but I never saw him as a Spock stand-in.

I never watched DS9 enough to find out. But that shapeshifting dude was pretty emotionless.

But you've got Spock, Data, Seven of Nine, and for Enterprise you have the entire cast.

Odo had lots of emotions.

Most of them involved JUSTICE.

Fox Mulder

People saying Voyager is better than DS9 and TNG are trolling right? Or is this one of those GAF in jokes I never seem to get?

i dont know.

my dad grew up when TOS was on TV and got me into the franchise, but he loves voyager. It had potential and does have some good episodes, so I can see how people like it more than they should.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Dude. You should watch DS9, at least. It's a great show in its own right, not just as a Trek series.

Gets a better rep than it deserves, really. Kind of like BSG.

ezri14.jpg
gpahwraiths1.jpg

Kind of stumbled at the end there, for all the credit it gets for a cohesive running storyline.

Kind of like BSG.

Wait, who was Spock in DS9?

I'm gonna say Odo.

Kaladin

There was another Vulcan / Human hybrid?

The Vulcan/Data/Odo roles are pretty obviously there to provide an outsider's dispassionate commentary on humanity.

I thought there were others but I guess I was mistaken. It's been a while since I watched Star Trek. I especially thought Tuvok was part human for some reason.

Camwi

I suppose in that he's meant to represent a perfect form of some virtue... but I never saw him as a Spock stand-in.

I feel similar to how Morts feels about it, in that that character is the outsider that's either trying to find acceptance by humanity or is there to give stark contrast.

Like I said, he's not obvious like Data, but I always felt like he was close enough.

Voyager was a brilliant concept with poor casting (of the initial cast only Mulgrew & Picardo were any good) and terrible execution(TNG & DS9 spent all that time setting up the marquis for VOY, and for what? DS9 used them better with eddington then VOY ever did). And Tuvix ruined Janeway as a character.

Don't you rag on my sweet Ezri.

Garak already did

and it was glorious

Koomaster

I hated Tom Paris throughout the series; most hated character. I just didn't connect with his character at all. Fuck him and hot rodding about space with the delta flyer. The worst episodes always centered around Tom Paris. The biggest evidence I can present to this is the episode Threshold. Enough said.

Dougald

When I was a kid I thought it was the best Star Trek show

If I ever get thrown back in time and meet myself, I will slap mini-Dougald for being such an idiot

At least the show had Blink of an Eye. I always liked that episode.

My favorite characters were: Doctor, Tuvok, Janeway. Didn't like the rest.

Things become boring after Seven of Nine joins the crew. Waaay too many episodes were focused on her.

EDIT: I probably would of liked B'Elanna if she was full Klingon though.

Camwi

Voyager was a brilliant concept with poor casting (of the initial cast only Mulgrew & Picardo were any good) and terrible execution(TNG & DS9 spent all that time setting up the marquis for VOY, and for what? DS9 used them better with eddington then VOY ever did). And Tuvix ruined Janeway as a character.

I don't remember much about the Tuvix episode, but I remember hating it. How did it ruin Janeway's character?

Poor Dumb Harry.
Never seen an actual episode but have watched 90% of its SFdebris reviews.

The one where Janeway and Paris go into warp 10 and turn into salamanders or whatever completely fucks with my head. Craziest part is they're back to normal a minute after the rest of the crew pick them up.

EDIT: Oh right it was Threshold.

Dougald

I don't remember much about the Tuvix episode, but I remember hating it. How did it ruin Janeway's character?

She never had a character in the first place beyond "sits in the captains chair and has a smokers voice", she always did whatever the writer of the current episode thought would be appropriate to the plot

Tuvok & Neelix were melded into one by a transporter accident, creating a new being with the memory of both. Initally he wanted to be changed back so the doc worked on that. By the time the doc worked out a way, tuvix was his own person, and did not want to be, as it would have been then, killed, to bring back tuvok & neelix. Janeway (with the silent assent of the entire bridge crew & kes), FORCED him to be seperated. The only person who refused to be involved was the doctor, who was disgusted by janeway's actions and would not perform the procedure, so janeway had to murder him herself.

Can't imagine kirk, picard or sisko doing that.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I thought there were others but I guess I was mistaken. It's been a while since I watched Star Trek. I especially thought Tuvok was part human for some reason.

Well, he was part Neelix for one episode...

Don't you rag on my sweet Ezri.

I love Nicolle. But Ezri as a character should never have happened. It broke internal logic, as a Trill coming back to their old life and relationships was strictly forbidden according to their own oft-lauded same-sex relationship controversy episode. It created all this weird romantic pathos between Worf and Julian that ate up SOOO much screen time in the final season. It lessened the impact of the first serious Trek regular-character death since Tasha Yar. A death that happened right in the middle of a big war arc, that was full of casualties that not once included a main character.

Imagine the final season we could have had if Jadzia had been killed along with the symbiont? Imagine how that could have affected Worf, and Sisko.

They just pussed out, pure and simple. That final season was a mess.

And I got one other thing to say about DS9's ending:

After literally crying like a baby watching this happen...

visitor4.jpg

...because this happened,

Sisko_in_temporal_displacement.jpg

it was a sloppy, bullshit, insulting ending to the character to have this happen:

Sisko_and_Dukat_Fire_Caves.jpg

Sisko_says_goodbye.jpg

Imbarkus

Tuvok & Neelix were melded into one by a transporter accident, creating a new being with the memory of both. Initally he wanted to be changed back so the doc worked on that. By the time the doc worked out a way, tuvix was his own person, and did not want to be, as it would have been then, killed, to bring back tuvok & neelix. Janeway (with the silent assent of the entire bridge crew & kes), FORCED him to be seperated. The only person who refused to be involved was the doctor, who was disgusted by janeway's actions and would not perform the procedure, so janeway had to murder him herself.

Kirk would murder Spock combined with anybody to get Spock back. Spulu. Spuhura. Spotty. Spechov. Nurse Spapel. All dead.

We did at least get "Tacking into the Wind" out of it, which is one of the finest episodes in trek history.

Agreed. And I also love the series. Like BSG, it is the bitter hurt of a disappointed love that is speaking now.

Camwi

Thanks, now I remember.

Seems similar to the issue some people had with how Sisko got the Romulans to enter the war.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its...not a bad show. But it feels like a retread of Next Generation in a lot of ways without the spark that kept me interested in NG. I could barely keep watching through season 3 of Voyager, past that point I've just caught scattershot episodes

They just never sold the whole "lost in space" angle hard enough for me.

Kirk would murder Spock combined with anybody to get Spock back. Spulu. Spuhura. Spotty. Spechov. Nurse Spapel. All dead.

And spockxspores :(

Thanks, now I remember.

Seems similar to the issue some people had with how Sisko got the Romulans to enter the war.

Sisko did that for the greater good, and he genuinely believed the dominion would turn on romulus once they'd finished off the khitomer alliance, and that he was doing the right thing not only for the federation but for the entire alpha quadrant.

Janeway comes across as having done it because she wanted her tuvok back(also see - Endgame, in which she destroys an entire timeline for the same reason)

selflessness vs selfishness really

Jhriad

Well it was much better than DS9, I'll say that. DS9 was just awful.

I'm going to say that Voyager was better than DS9 and TNG.

Nope.

I love Nicolle. But Ezri as a character should never have happened. It broke internal logic, as a Trill coming back to their old life and relationships was strictly forbidden according to their own oft-lauded same-sex relationship controversy episode.

Um... no? Jadzia had been a Star Fleet officer and had a previous relationship with Sisko. Ezri wasn't even
supposed to have the symbiont and she initially returned to DS9 because she thought Sisko, someone who knew two of the symbionts previous hosts, could help her deal with living with the memories of these other individuals when she hadn't been properly trained to do so.
Every Dax has shown some willingness to bend or break the rules which is part of the reason why you see the brief flirtation with the idea in the episode you're talking about and Worf. That said the only thing that is taboo is returning to a romantic relationship not platonic relationships.

Also, this thread is now a DS9 thread.

Fathead

The doc was the only salvagable thing in Voyager. But as a series, the episode Threshold sums up the entire run.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The doc was the only salvagable thing in Voyager. But as a series, the episode Threshold sums up the entire run.

I will say it was enjoyable when Seven showed up at first, because finally there was somebody willing to call Janeway on her ridiculous bullshit at least once.

Chakotay calmly telilng Janeway about his spirit animal of the week doesn't count.

Fathead

I will say it was enjoyable when Seven showed up at first, because finally there was somebody willing to call Janeway on her ridiculous bullshit at least once.

Chakotay calmly telilng Janeway about his spirit animal of the week doesn't count.

She might have been a semi interesting character, but shes only there because boobs.

Hi my name is steve and as a youngster i watched every episode of voyager on UPN. My family was poor and DS9 was only shown of weekends. I thought the show was good and i really liked the Doctor and Neelix's girlfriend.

But even then i thought DS9 shit all over voyager from a great distance. How do you not like Garak and the grubby scheming Quark

can you imagine riker's reaction to janeway's alliance with the borg in scorpion

FStop7

Banned
Bad show. Jeri Ryan nerdbait. At least it ended with a resolution, though it was a typical Star Trek ending full of time travel and deus ex machina

Also, Neelix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom