• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launch line-ups: Xbox 360 (November 22, 2005)

Falchion

I missed the launch but got mine in time for Halo 3 and then borrowed my friends copy of Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 4.

This had to be one of the greatest launches ever. Man Hexic HD and geometry wars really showed early on how important achievements, leaderboards, and all of that rich game data meant to next gen. You have to remember most people didn't even have HD televisions at the time. I had this console hooked up to my PC monitor for at least a year. I think the feature set is what really shone even a year later when you saw how far ahead the platform was compared to the PS3.

I remember all too well! It was that Christmas that my parents bought me my first HDTV as a graduation gift, and even then, it was an old-school CRT one, so it took three people to pick up.

The best I had were component cables for my PS2 which helped the colors pop out.

KageMaru

Picked up Condemned and CoD 2 at launch and got PGR3 for free a few weeks later from MS. Outside of the character models, Condemned was mind blowing at launch and is still an excellent horror game IMO. CoD 2 was my most played launch title and looked great but looked more like a high end PC game and less like a "next gen" game. PGR3 was also amazing and looked great regardless of the native resolution.

Weird that the project Gotham games aren't back compatible. They seem to have been forgotten by Microsoft.

I wonder if the licensed music complicates things for this.

-MD-

I played PDZ's multi like 6-10 hours a day for a year, love that multi.

I had PDZ, Kameo, Quake 4 and Condemned, outside of hardware issues I loved the 360 launch.

Hey speaking of, I was at a Best Buy playing a game demo and I've never been able to find out what game it is. All I remember is the game being first person, it was taken place outside, and I want to say I heard dinosaur noises? The only other part that I remember is me trying to spin some sort of wheel but I didn't know how so I stopped playing. Does anyone have an idea?

Hey speaking of, I was at a Best Buy playing a game demo and I've never been able to find out what game it is. All I remember is the game being first person, it was taken place outside, and I want to say I heard dinosaur noises? The only other part that I remember is me trying to spin some sort of wheel but I didn't know how so I stopped playing. Does anyone have an idea?

This was when it launched?

jelly

In for PGR3.

PDZ was odd even for a launch title at the time. The game didn't feel right at all.

Kameo was so disappointing, worst control scheme in the world. I found a lot of Rare games just baffling to ease into, they made no sense.

Sony

Nintendo
Not even the Anthem demo wowed me as much as the initial Gears of War video. Even though the final version of the game didn't come close to the intitial video, I was still stunned by the graphics and gameplay. What a time.

CoD2, Condemned, PGR3 and NFS Most Wanted were all great games. Considering how soon Oblivion came out as well, I remember having a blast during the first year of 360. It's crazy to think Sony let them get out a year ahead with an equally powered console.

PDZ was straight trash though, SP and MP. Biggest letdown I can remember outside of Dark Souls 2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In for PGR3.

PDZ was odd even for a launch title at the time. The game didn't feel right at all.

Kameo was so disappointing, worst control scheme in the world. I found a lot of Rare games just baffling to ease into, they made no sense.

PDZ is a fun game that's completely marred by a couple of art decisions. Ugly characters, ugly levels, armor flying off of people when you hit them. It's kinda when I knew that the Rare I loved was gone forever.

Kameo is okay, you're right about the controls though.

TheYanger

I thought the 360 launch lineup was disappointing at the time, I didn't own one but I worked at Frys at the time and had plenty of time to just stare at the entire launch lineup for a month (we got that shit EARLY and just had it caged in the back, piles of 360s), and none of it looked remotely decent to me besides PDZ, since I was a PD fanatic. Now, years later after having played a solid amount oif it, I don't hate PDZ I got a lot of enjoyment from it despite its flaws, but Condemned was the real winner. fucking love Condemned.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Perfect Dark Zero was such a disappointment. The visuals were nice at the time (well, mainly it was the club level) but man, so terrible.

Aside from that the Call of Duty 2 + Geometry Wars combo was so great and the jump into 720p with this whole new online infrastructure was just massive. I don't think it's possible to feel like you're jumping into a whole new generation like it did with the 360. And the output of games from launch just got better and better (Dead Rising, UNO, lots of XBLA games).

Man, those were some great times.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got a 360 when BioShock came out, but I still played a few of the launch highlights soon after. Geo Wars was the first game I bought after BS. It was the evergreen for my 360, played it so much. Finally hitting the 1 mil score and beyond felt so good. Shame I couldn't survive one mil without dying for the final achievement, would've loved to get that.

Hexic HD was the perfect podcast game. Played it a ton while listening to 1UP Yours, GFW and the other podcasts that made the early 360/ps3 era unforgettable.

Condemned is still one of the scariest games I've ever played.

I didn't just have Need for Speed: Most Wanted on day one -- I had it on something like Day -2. A few titles (all EA?) wound up on store shelves before the 360 actually launched, and I got at least NfS (maybe another one too?) as a birthday gift before I had a console to play it on.

I had Kameo and the steelbook of Perfect Dark Zero on day one. I can't remember if I finished Kameo, but I dropped PDZ pretty much immediately. I finished the first level and never went back to it, although that's still my XBL avatar after all these years. I didn't get 'em at launch, but I also had Call of Duty 2 and King Kong from an ill-advised stint at game reviewing.

jelly

tumblr_lw25pcpN931qaxz29o1_500.gif

antitrop

I was so excited for Perfect Dark Zero that I actually bought the steelbook version of the game before my 360 console pre-order was ready to be picked up (I didn't make first shipment). It's one of the most disappointing games of my life, but Geometry Wars was there to make things okay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
First time I ever camped out for a system. Picked up the system along with Perfect Dark, and I received CoD2 and PGR3 for Christmas. Fantastic system and looking back, the launch was pretty good overall.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Geometry Wars was a classic. Condemned, Amped 3 and PGR 3 were pretty good. Kameo was meh. PDZ was an abomination.

I think the 360 might set the record for most improved graphics over a console generation. Anyway, never had a 360 but I would hang out with a friend down the street who had one and play Geometry Wars all the time. Loved that game, and I eventually picked up the Geometry Wars game that came to Wii. I actually interviewed the developers in the lead up to that release when I was involved with a (now-defunct) gaming website.

Got Call of Duty, Perfect Dark and Condemned. Perfect Dark was disappointing but the other two were pretty great.

I played King Kong and Gun on other platforms and enjoyed both of those too. Overall I would say the 360 launch was pretty solid.

Nutter

At the time it was amazing to see other players playing a game and what level and what difficulty. You could tell when someone was stuck at a spot and chat it up with friends.

PGR3 and COD2 were pretty damn amazing experiences.

UraMallas

Looking down the list, I own all of the launch games, both XBLA and retail, besides the sports games. I didn't realize that until just now. I didn't buy them all with my Xbox 360, though, and I didn't buy the system at launch. I can remember walking into the WalMart and seeing COD2 running on their little HDTV above the games and thinking how gorgeous it looked. I am pretty sure that was the very first HD content I ever saw in person. It's all I thought about until I got the money to buy a 360 and a Panasonic 720p 32" TV. The TV cost my $1300! It was simply amazing. You couldn't get me out of my room for months.

sibarraz

Banned
The XBOX 360 era from 2005 to 2009 must be my favorite ever

- The catalogue has an amazing mix of japanese and western games. Plus the AAA craze was not at full swing yet, so we still saw lots of cool experiments.

- HD was an eye opening novelty back then.

- XBLA was an incredible feature that showcased lots of indie and retro games.

I got my 360 with PGR3 and Rockstar presents Table Tennis and a second pad. Not sure how far after launch it was but it was pre gears.

Roufianos

The first year or so of the 360 was probably my favourite time to be a gamer. I got FIFA, Project Gotham and Dead or Alive at launch but things really took off with Oblivion, GRAW, Saint's Row, Gears and Double Agent. All of those would be in a list of my top 20 games.

I used to play for hours a day, completely care free. Such a great time. Now I'm lucky if I can get in more than an hour.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was so excited for Perfect Dark Zero that I actually bought the steelbook version of the game before my 360 console pre-order was ready to be picked up (I didn't make first shipment). It's one of the most disappointing games of my life, but Geometry Wars was there to make things okay.

MGS 4 made me forget about how PDZ ruined my once rabid fandom for Rare.

There was a post launch patch that did seriously improve the game but couldn't fix the ugly.

Like a lot of people the biggest 360 launch title for me was...Halo 2.

pswii60

Pretty sure Zuma was a launch title too.

I played a lot of Geometry Wars and Zuma at launch. Was hugely disappointed by PDZ. PGR3 was good aside from the jaggies.

I think I enjoyed Quake 4 the most out of the retail games, and eventually Kameo but I didn't get that until the next year.

But it was Geometry Wars that takes the crown for me. What an amazingly addictive game.

EDIT: And Mutant Storm Reloaded too - how I could I forget that? I loved that game to bits.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I didn't preorder and thought I was SOL, but I went to the grocery store(HEB) early in the morning and they had a shipment with no one buying them(probably because they hadn't advertised they were going to have them). They had no 360 games though, only a bin of bargain Xbox and PS2 games. So I ended up getting Kameo and PDZ later that day from target.

El-Suave

Bought:
Perfect Dark Zero
Amped 3
Kameo
Gun

...sold PD Zero almost immediately. Usually I keep my games but PD was shockingly bad.
The other three games were great, Kameo benefitted from the HD glory but it was also a really nice game. Amped took me by surprise, I enjoyed the hell out of it and I never got the complaints about Gun - it was a port that many felt was lackluster, but for me it was new, looked OK and felt great.

Chittagong

Gold Member
In retrospect, it was an incredibly solid launch lineup. At the time it didn't seem as revolutionary, because we had been led to believe next generation looks like the Killzone trailer and Motorstorm trailer. But actually, the launch lineup had great games.

Call of Duty 2 - amazing amount of stuff going on, cinematic, effects, dynamic blur, very fun game

Condemned - One of my favourite horror experiences next to Silent Hill 2. Very sharp, PC like graphics, great storytelling.

NFS Most Wanted - Absolutely gorgeous, and so much fun, with cheesy fun cinematics

Kameo - Wonderful IQ, and creative gameplay mechanics, just overall fun.

Geometry Wars - Stunning and fun. Gave us the first taste of indie gaming (called 'Live Arcade' back then).

PGR3 - Stunning graphical showcase and a fun racer.

Perfect Dark Zero - Solid IQ, wide variety of different worlds, decent fun even if not quite the comeback people wanted.

King Kong - easy and fun 1000pts, looked impressive enough, and was fast enough to return within GameStops fee one week return period.

Looking at that list, that's probably most launch titles I have ever got for a console, and ones I enjoyed playing. I wonder if there was a long dry period after the launch which would explain why I got so many of them...?

zeexlash

My brother decided he would get one for Christmas in 2006 and it got me excited about gaming again after quite a while, that and the Nintendo Wii.

Out of the launch games I've played, Rare's titles stand out - either one would have been sufficient for that launch window and give the other more time, but I can understand why they wanted to make a big impact.

I do quite like both Kameo and PDZ.

I didn't get a 360 until August of 2006 and even then, my first games for it were Oblivion and Halo 2. I had my "next-gen" moment with Gears of War, but I don't think I really seriously played any of the launch titles for the platform. Condemned is the only one that really interests me now from that lineup, to be honest.

It was my opinion at the time that it was a highly iterative and kind of boring launch, and to an extent I still think that's very true, but on the other hand it was a collection of very solid games that built off of prior lessons while transitioning into HD development. The actual fruits of the 360 wouldn't start sprouting till later, but the launch acted as good enough seeds.

Now 2007, that was a good year for the platform.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Did the launch line-up encourage me to buy the system, or was I going to buy the system anyway?
Yes, it did, Kameo and the corresponding promise of a strong Rare was my reason to buy Xbox 360 at launch. Also, I needed it for journalistic purposes, but I could (and would) still have waited some time if not for Kameo.
What did I play the most at the time?Kameo, definitely.
What games do I consider to be classics?
Kameo, Geometry Wars
What games could I play years later and have fun, classic or not?
Kameo, Geometry Wars, Amped, Hexic, Bejeweled, PGR3
What games did I enjoy at the time but found fewer reasons to come back to as the generation progressed (I played it because I didn't have as much to play at the time)?
None.

Top Bottom