• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launch line-ups: Xbox 360 (November 22, 2005)

The XBOX 360 era from 2005 to 2009 must be my favorite ever

- The catalogue has an amazing mix of japanese and western games. Plus the AAA craze was not at full swing yet, so we still saw lots of cool experiments.

- HD was an eye opening novelty back then.

- XBLA was an incredible feature that showcased lots of indie and retro games.

Totally agree with this, it was a unique time in gaming history.

A part of me always envied the 360's perfect dark game.

One year later I bought a PS3 and played resistance. No regrets.

That's a fake win: any FPS is better than PD: Zero :D

I didn't get a 360 at launch, but I got one just before Gears. Halo 2 was my most played until Halo 3 tho, hah.

That's a fake win: any FPS is better than PD: Zero :D

I didn't get a 360 at launch, but I got one just before Gears. Halo 2 was my most played until Halo 3 tho, hah.

Now that I think about it, I did say I got mine before Halo 3, but my first purchase I think was Bomberman Live. I just looked it up and had no idea Hudson didn't exist anymore. Man, did I love Bomberman Live.

This has nothing to do with the launch, but still! =(

cakely

Did the launch line-up encourage me to buy the system, or was I going to buy the system anyway?

I wanted the system because it I really liked what it did, better graphics, built-in party chat and cheevos. The launch games weren't great.

What did I play the most at the time?

It was months before I got one (there was no pre-order, and everywhere was sold out), but then the game I played the most was Geometry Wars.

If I bought the console well after the launch period, what launch games did I buy, if any?

I had a deal from Panasonic where I could get essentially free rentals at Blockbuster video, so I rented a bunch of games including COD2, PGR3 an NFS: Most Wanted. I bought Geometry Wars.

What games do I consider to be classics?

I really liked Need for Speed: Most Wanted, I ended up getting 100% achievements on that one. Oh yeah, and Geometry Wars.

What games could I play years later and have fun, classic or not?

Geometry Wars. :)

Basically, the Xbox 360 launch wasn't great, but the system got better, fast. Guitar Hero 2 and then Gears of War made the system into a classic for me.

PGR3 was a big disappointment for me after how much I enjoyed PGR2. It felt like something was really missing.

kunonabi

Not a single launch game i was interested in. It wasn't until dead rising, the force unleashed, rumble roses xx, and condemned were all out that i felt a need to pick up a X360.

PGR3 looked the best and Call of Duty 2 played the best. I remember feeling like the 360 lineup was pretty underwhelming until Oblivion came out in the following Spring.

Chromehounds IMO was the best 360 game to come out in the first year. Really underrated and forgotten :(

Forgotten because it relied on online and died a few years later when the servers got pulled. A wonderful time it was when it was live though for the people who actively played it

Tailzo

1. I think I would have bought the system anyway. I was eager to try next gen, and I wasn't that hyped about the upcmoning ps3. I did feel hyped for Oblivion though.

2. A lot of different times, but what made me really enjoy it, was the japanese games. Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, & Lost Odyssey. I'm not sure what was my most played game.

3 The games I mentioned over. I kinda switched over more to playing the ps3 later, because japanese games releases shifted to that console.

4. Many of the jrpg games, also Sonic Generations, Dead Rising (1), Burnout Paradise.

5. Not sure...

I didn't get the 360 on launch day. I think it was the combination of knowing I'd get one anyway, Perfect Dark not getting great reviews and being a poor college kid putting more money towards beer at the time.

Got it the following May I think, once games like Oblivion and GRAW were out. Perfect Dark was the only game I got with it; liked it, but yeah...good but not great.

The best game from the 360 launch lineup is Condemned. Nothing else on that list really comes close for me. I'm not sure I'd call it a "classic", but it's damn good.

catmincer

I preordered with Dead or Alive 4, Full auto and condemned. Only one of them actually was available at launch (doa4) so I played that exclusively for a month.

Top Bottom