• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk PC VR

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
GAF needs a PCVR thread. Someone make it or I'll be using this crappy one. PSVR has a thread, stand-alone VR like Oculus Quest has a thread, I need a place to post random videos, trailers and news whenever I come across them.

To make this a little bit worthwhile, the big players in the field as far as hardware goes are:

Valve with their Index products of lighthouse base stations (impeccable room scale tracking), high quality HMD (the thing you stick your head in), and superb controllers with finger and squeeze force tracking.
HTC with their Vive line of products ranging from the basic to the Pro Eye with eye tracking and a high price tag. They use Valve's lighthouse tracking and base stations (v1.0, compatible with 2.0) but still use the basic wand controllers.
Oculus with their Rift line of products, initially the Rift which used external cameras to do the tracking and now the Rift S which uses multiple cameras on the HMD to track your movement and, before Index came along, the best controllers VR had seen.
Pimax which aims to offer super high resolution and high field of view HMDs, as well as now working on their own Index-like controllers (they had none before, people used them with Vive's). They use Valve's lighthouse tracking also.
Various companies taking part in Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality initiative to offer products similar to the Rift S, all using the same HMD mounted 2-camera tracking system and Microsoft designed hand controllers.
More companies offering products for specific niches, like super high resolution HMD with XTAL or all kinds of location based VR solutions, or advancements in specific fields like light fields, hand or body tracking, body suits with force feedback, or whatever else.

Games and software are available on a variety of stores like Valve's Steam which (generally) any PC VR hardware can use via SteamVR/OpenVR, HTC's Viveport which is becoming platform-agnostic, and the Oculus Store which only works for Oculus hardware (officially).

Some of the websites and channels I check out that involve VR are:
Feel free to post your favorites!

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
So here's recent stuff I've wanted to post about.

I have super high hopes for this one to offer both a meaty, polished, unique VR experience and a worthwhile successor to the game series that clearly inspired it, Thief (1 & 2)!

Stormland looks like a brilliant open world shooter with lots of twists that will make it unique, from the locomotion methods available (eventually even flying it seems) to upgrading your bits and pieces with new gear and recruiting helpers. Watch other trailers and hope for the best!

Mare looks like a really sweet Ico-inspired experience with tons of attention to detail and a wonderfully conveyed artistic vision. Fingers crossed!

Asgard's Wrath looks like a very promising lengthy action adventure / RPG, hopefully it will deliver (despite the cringe VA in this video spelling everything out, I like the action, the environments and the promise it shows for complexity in later parts). Watch other trailers!

With Battlewake I'm hoping for a VR Sid Meier's Pirates! experience. I've played another game like this which was quite unpolished and limited but the feel of holding the ship wheel in your hands from that point of view was super cool so a better game like it will be superb!

This, like most Oculus/Quest games, will come to PC. It remains to be seen how good it is but the unique locomotion makes it interesting even if it ends up being a glorified Hitman: Sniper Challenge. Shooting guns and sniper rifles in VR is always ace anyway!

VR isn't only good for first person shenanigans, every genre can work with it (as the various third person platform action games and existing strategy titles among others have already proved, but, I'm just saying)!

Immersing journeys to fantastic new worlds is another VR staple. This one looks really promising!

Nothing to see here yet but zombie headshots in VR, you guessed it, they never get old!

Another melee combat focused game that, whether it's fully physics driven like Blade & Sorcery or more gamey like the systems in Karnage Chronicles and other wonderful VR games, will hopefully be just as fun as it looks cool!

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Edit: new info:

So I didn't expect much out of a single site's event but it seems Upload VR got tons of cool stuff after all. Espire 1, Budget Cuts 2, After the Fall and a number of others are super hype material for me :D

They had some non PC VR stuff too, like some of those games also coming to the other platforms and some PSVR stuff.

What wonderfully exciting and great times to be a gamer!
Old post:
And here'sUploadVR's E3 showcase which should come with new media and even some reveals. Upload VR appears to be the biggest website centered around VR gaming.

I'll be at work during the show so I'm hoping to see cool new trailers when I get back from that! It probably won't have anything too crazy, it's just one site's show after all, but fingers crossed! :)

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Some next gen VR to keep you busy waiting for the stream:
Looks crazy (though I wish it was more Half-Life, less Portal in set up they're a small indie studio). I'm glad they're working on proper Oculus Rift/Touch implementation too, rather than treat all non-Index VR controllers the same:

People focus on Index (with good reason, I'd buy one if I had the money to burn) but to me the magic happens in the programmed interactions and physics rather than any one controller, this will be sweet as hell even with a Vive or whatever else PC VR one has!

Disclaimer: I recently got a Rift and just upgraded to a 3-sensor setup for 360 degree/room scale and I'm happy with it. I'll upgrade to Index-level when it becomes affordable and after my next PC upgrade to handle future high end VR games. Maybe in 3-5 years or so then.

Last edited:

GnomeChimpsky

Oct 26, 2017
People focus on Index (with good reason, I'd buy one if I had the money to burn) but to me the magic happens in the programmed interactions and physics rather than any one controller, this will be sweet as hell even with a Vive or whatever else PC VR one has!

Disclaimer: I recently got a Rift and just upgraded to a 3-sensor setup for 360 degree/room scale and I'm happy with it. I'll upgrade to Index-level when it becomes affordable and after my next PC upgrade to handle future high end VR games. Maybe in 3-5 years or so then.
My brother got the same setup recently but tracking is always so-so. Not sure what's up with that.
Hoping to be blown away by Index in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al3x1s

somerset

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2019
Have VR- the MS thing which was so damned cheap it could not be turned down. aiting for a better GPU to give it a real go- but inside out tracking is the *bomb*- never thought I'd live to see the day when the algorthms would give that sweet sweet sub-pixel stability using this method.

But look at the OP and *weep*. On the PC, VR is a total *mess*. A million solutions at a million prices, all pulling in different directions. How the eff are devs supposed to even *think* about making money from such a *broken* platform.

Steam support of VR is boss- without it VR on the PC would be dead in all commercial sense. And the other platforms, my MS one included, really have to be used via steam.

The other biggie is what I alluded to- PC power for driving VR. You can use essentially any GPU that games great at 1080, but you shouldn't. For the framerate and ability to *over-sample* (essential in the race to any good image quality in the future) 1080TI performance is *base* level, and that only for gen 1 VR resolutions.

Sony is going to *slaughter* all other VR solutions- make PC VR look to be the *bad* joke it really is. AMD and Sony are partnered to do VR right. PS5 with the power to finally render *good* ambitious VR games. An amazing headset. A massive market for VR devs. And every VR gamer knowing "it just works".

Meanwhile, everytime Windows updates, it treats my VR headset differently. With each update I fear I'm going to have to spend hours getting it to work again. The headset has the tiniest sweet-spot imaginable, and terrible optics, yet it was the best of gen1 MS MR (as I said, I knew all this going in and only bought cos it was a literal *steal*- and am happy to this day at the price).

To the chumps spending thousands on Windows VR solutions, who are *not* devs I say "WTF man?". I get the enthusiasm, the wishful thinking- the desire to be that kid in Spielberg's rotten movie. But the PS5 VR will just make all the current PC solutions look both silly and hopeless.

If you've got thousands burning a hole in your pocket, yet that money still has meaning, honestly I'd try really hard to be patient, wait for PS5 + VR to launch, and buy that and subscibe to their VR software.

On the PC I'd advise only buying VR at a bargain basement price - around 150 dollars say- and trying to go inside out so you have roomscale with none of the cost nor inconvenience (albeit with some compromises).

• LOL

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
My brother got the same setup recently but tracking is always so-so. Not sure what's up with that.
Hoping to be blown away by Index in a few weeks.
No problems with tracking on my end. Sometimes I can see it wobble a tiny bit in specific scenarios. Like if I hold both controllers together, then try to move them sideways together, I can see that the distance between them wobbles tiny a bit, when in real life it's constant (as they touch each other), but it's not perceivable in any gameplay scenario to me, including when aiming weapons with iron sights and such in realistic FPS where it would suck to feel it's off. Maybe try repositioning the trackers. I've also got them in such an angle that I can grab things from the floor with my real height and they only get off the trackers view if I really stretch high above my head (and hold it for a second, if I'm doing a swing or something the tracking doesn't mess up in that case either). I only had problems with tracking when I tried to do a 2-sensor 360 degree setup. It seemed like tracking was lower framerate in that way. But it was absolutely fine in (largely) front-facing 2-sensor setup for quite a while and until I finally got the 3rd sensor which made it equally fine in 360. I'm not using full room scale, my room is small, I guess it's 360 standing VR, I can take a step in any direction.

But look at the OP and *weep*. On the PC, VR is a total *mess*. A million solutions at a million prices, all pulling in different directions. How the eff are devs supposed to even *think* about making money from such a *broken* platform.
I don't see any evidence of this being a problem, most popular engines like UE and Unity and such have VR support that works for all platforms already just as engines are made to work with a range of other hardware, cpus, gpus, etc. Considering the age of modern VR it's in a pretty remarkable state already. And the open APIs apply to all equally. I haven't read much about a dev being pissed off he couldn't figure out how to easily support any one of them. Hell, more than half of those in the op use Valve tech and the two that don't work fine for it too. Maybe more obscure peripherals have trouble with support but then it's on them to provide game support on their own. Like the various weird locomotion devices, they translate their input into common game input rather than expect a dev to get their product and support it. Which makes sense.

I'm sorry that you bought the cheapest WMR set you found knowing full well it presents issues like the tiny sweet spot (I'm aware only the Samsung WMR sets - initially at least, also being WMR gen 1 and having wonderful screens and optics by the way - had physical IPD adjustment which is optimal given everyone has a different face and I'm glad it's the prelevant solution for most platforms) that makes it super annoying but I wouldn't say your experience means everyone should avoid PC VR and buy PSVR 2 given the great VR exeriences available and coming to PC before PSVR 2 even becomes a currently still unknown thing. Heck, one of the biggest third party PSVR games is Firewall and we're getting the studio's next game on PC (Solaris), lol. In my experience PCVR is nearly plug and play (as plug and play as it can be, yeah you go through a self/room calibration process and stuff, when VR offers this level of features on console it too will have to have such processes, heck, pre-VR Move games often required calibration etc). And I'm not even using the simpler inside out tracking sets which are even easier to set up as you've said yourself. Or a Valve tech set which is also easier given the bases don't need to connect to the PC, just have power, and their tracking quality and range is worth it. Feel free to avoid PC VR (and PC in general I suppose) yourself and visit other (Sony I guess) threads though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagofFeralCats

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
So Upload VR's E3 VR showcase ended and here's a bunch of stuff that came from it:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
So I didn't expect much out of a single site's event but it seems Upload VR got tons of cool stuff after all. Espire 1, Budget Cuts 2, After the Fall and a number of others are super hype material for me :D

They had some non PC VR stuff too, like some of those games also coming to the other platforms and some PSVR stuff.

What wonderfully exciting and great times to be a gamer!

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Feb 17, 2019
The biggest thing that has prevented me from adopting is that there are so many and each fucking the other over. Occulus is great but Vive has titles that it does not have and same in reverse. I have heard that it is getting slightly better.

Stitch

Nov 26, 2006
Vive doesn't have exclusives. There might be some early games that don't support the Rift controllers properly but that should be fixable with Steam VR bindings.
Viveport was Vive exclusive but HTC changed that a while ago and now Viveport supports Oculus and WMR.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018

A VR cross-media project, heh. VR short film, location based VR experience, VR compatible video game.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
And an Epic exclusive PC VR port. Damn, they're getting their grubby paws in my VR turf :p

Last edited:

natjjohn

Oct 15, 2007
Been tempted to jump in but have continued to sit on the sidelines allowing tech and software to mature

RokkanStoned

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Norway
Since this is a VR thread, there's a software I've been wanting to talk about since I've discovered it.

3dSenVR. (on Steam)
It's an emulator for VR that makes 2D NES games appear 3D and all. Only a few games are supported and I only own Super Mario Bros (NTSC) of those currently supported and luckily have a pal with a dumper who've helped me get my NES collection into roms. I've got Mario Bros, but only PAL and I'm unsure if it'll work. Might check it out, but I think it said NTSC only, which sucks as I've got most PAL games. But I checked the demo out and it looked really good. Makes me want to go on eBay and get myself Dr. Mario and Tetris and dump them.
Super Mario Bros is pretty cheap on eBay, so that's easy enough, then you just need some way of dumping the ROM image whether buying a means to getting your cartridge's rom image or being lucky as knowing someone with those means already. Don't think I'd recommend it unless you've got any easy means of doing it, since while you can try it out as a demo, there's just a few noteworthy games supported at this moment and I dunno where it might go considering it's Early Access. So not worth sinking the money unless you've got money to potentially waste or if you are okay with the uncertainty and perhaps also kinda wanted to emulate NES games or if you've invested into emulation already.

But yeah, it's really interesting and it felt so awesome to play SMB like it was a new game. Some things didn't work as well in 3D like the Goombas, but the rest worked rather well. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Reactions: Al3x1s and Romulus

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jan 29, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
reddit.com
I’m both excited and disappointed. I preordered the Valve Index (and may or may not have gone hands-on with it at great length recently), so my excitement for the hardware is through the roof.

But to be honest, there wasn’t a lot in the E3VR presser that got me pumped. The only thing I desperately want is Boneworks. But I can’t help feeling that a vast majority of the other games coming out will only hold my attention for a half hour or so.

I don’t just want a “killer app” - I think VR has had a few of those, like Beat Saber, Superhot, and RE7 - I just need more consistently good and polished experiences. Most VR games I play feel very much like tech demos or unfinished/unpolished short games.

What have you been working on, Valve? Save me.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Expandalone to the original The Wizards according to Upload VR. Cool teaser.

I’m both excited and disappointed. I preordered the Valve Index (and may or may not have gone hands-on with it at great length recently), so my excitement for the hardware is through the roof.

But to be honest, there wasn’t a lot in the E3VR presser that got me pumped. The only thing I desperately want is Boneworks. But I can’t help feeling that a vast majority of the other games coming out will only hold my attention for a half hour or so.

I don’t just want a “killer app” - I think VR has had a few of those, like Beat Saber, Superhot, and RE7 - I just need more consistently good and polished experiences. Most VR games I play feel very much like tech demos or unfinished/unpolished short games.

I mean, if stuff like Budget Cuts 2, Espire 1, Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Solaris and more (whether they were at the E3 show or not) or even existing and/or ongoing dev games don't excite you, if not with already proven quality then by the potential, I'd say it's not a content problem, just a very particular tastes deal. Which is fine like it's fine for people to not like the Switch or whatever console has tons of great games, just not tons of great games in a particular niche. Maybe you should have waited for the games you want before investing in hardware. My gaming time is equally split between VR and non VR these days, I'm loving every good bit of it. I dunno what you got to try though (I didn't quite get if you just got to try the Index but already have a different VR product at home or if that hands-on and similar situations is all you've been able to test with others choosing the games for you and/or little time to wrap your head around the systems to properly judge their polish and depth).

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
After the Fall (it only got a reveal teaser in the E3 VR showcase) has some screenshots and info on its Steam page (4p coop capable, I see a crafting table I guess, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewRyan

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Are there any neat ones underwater? Kind of scary ones?

What about in places like a volcano?
This one seems pretty decent.
Decidedly indie, it didn't feel as polished as Lone Echo which it clearly takes after (so try that, it's not underwater but it's space, and among the few games approaching AAA status for VR, the sequel is expected next year), locomotion wasn't as naturally intuitive for me.

This one is like a VR equivalent of a dime a dozen walking sim. It's only in German, I hope you speak that. I don't but it was still neat to explore the real cave environments a little bit but it's pretty limited in gameplay and stuff. It's free anyway. Spooky for sure.

TheBlue costs way too much for what it offers. It's basically two small areas (and a third even briefer short) where marine life will travel past you and you just watch, almost no interactions. I liked it, I wish it had lots of environments and such so I could recommend it.
They have a sequel that looks compelling but it seems like it's location-based VR only (so it's probably just cool to experience once for 30 mins to an hour anyway rather than a full fledged home style game) sadly.

Someone needs to make an Endless Ocean-like game for VR for sure. You can try Subnautica but I was very disappointed it only does headtracking, no hand tracking gameplay, it's a seated gamepad/mouse&keyboard game.

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
This could be cool.

In the game, you’re a police officer assigned to city-block 303, and while teaser footage released so far doesn’t explore the gameplay in much depth, the developer says that players will “patrol the streets (and the skies above them) solving mysteries, fighting crime, or giving in to corruption.”

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
We had a chance to check out a brief demonstration of the game while attending this years event, and suffice to say Stormland is shaping up to be one of the most polished VR games ever released
While only a sliver of the overall story has been revealed so far, 10-minutes inside the experience is enough to convince you of Insomniac’s commitment to world-building.
Really promising impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewRyan

Catphish

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA

That's why I can't justify spending that kind of money on the Index. Until the software is there, I just can't.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018

Last edited:

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
I have a WMR headset, but still play most my VR stuff on PSVR because it's just simpler to use. PC VR is a bit of a mess IMO and even though I spent a few evenings faffing about it still doesn't quite work as I want it to. I mostly bought the WMR headset for racing sims, but sadly the VR integration is a bit of a mess in a number of sims I play. Without helpful advise from racedepartment and reddit I would probably have fired that thing into a volcano by now.

I have a WMR headset, but still play most my VR stuff on PSVR because it's just simpler to use. PC VR is a bit of a mess IMO and even though I spent a few evenings faffing about it still doesn't quite work as I want it to. I mostly bought the WMR headset for racing sims, but sadly the VR integration is a bit of a mess in a number of sims I play. Without helpful advise from racedepartment and reddit I would probably have fired that thing into a volcano by now.
I think perhaps that's a wmr issue more than a generic pcvr statement. At least with my og rift I haven't had any real issues.
I suppose some steam VR games can be clunky but they are pretty rare these days

GHG

Nov 9, 2006
Are you still having problems or is it all sorted now?

General rule of thumb with WMR headsets is to close the WMR home portal, then fire up Steam VR (which will itself open the portal in the background - far less resource intensive to do it this way), then run your games.

Basically if you don't have SteamVR open and/or if you open things up in the wrong order then you'll likely run into issues.

What sims do you play by the way?

Last edited:

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018

I was hyped for this game on announcement but seeing more of it and what it turned out to be, not so much any more. I'll wait for all episodes to be out (and on PC as the first is coming) to see if it's worth it to me then.

Last edited:
Reactions: gifgaf

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018

I have super high hopes for this one to offer both a meaty, polished, unique VR experience and a worthwhile successor to the game series that clearly inspired it, Thief (1 & 2)!
The full trailer is out! The VA/music/action isn't so well put together (muting the real audio and going crazy with the info dump) but the game itself looks great, hopefully it is!

More Asgard's Wrath praise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stitch

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
When I bought a PSX ('94/'95) I remember taking a character called Lara Croft, to the edge of a cliff and throwing her off. It was the first time I had seen a game demonstrate that level of 3d graphics. Sure, the game wasn't as polished as its' 2d brothers, but I knew I had seen the future.

My first time with a VR headset was a DK2, messing around on some fan-made demos. It was basic, clunky and not very well polished but I knew I had seen the future of gaming, once again.

Now, I've just watched Rogan. I see all the old classic games I used to love reimagined in a depth I thought only possible in dreams. I can't wait to play a Broken Sword or Monkey Island style, point and click adventure from the perspective of George or Guybrush.

What a time to be alive.

Stuchinoko

Neo Member
Jun 14, 2019
UK
Who here can't wait for when we get Matrix-tier VR and then you can be a short-stack big tiddy Pokemon?

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Wow, out of nowhere, it's alive! Hype!
In a reply to users on the game’s discussion board, Bailey writes, “I’ve been operating under an NDA for a while, but will be able to make a full product announcement soon. In brief, the full expansion, ch3 and ch4 will ship within weeks. I remain the sole developer on the project, and again apologize for the lack of communication on progress.”
What NDA Bailey might be under isn’t entirely clear, but it seems likely that he’s been developing the game for the Valve Index headset, especially considering his pedigree as a former Valve employee who worked on the Half-Life series.

Reactions: Stitch

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
More cool VR tech. Enterprise Edition probably means high price. It's cool to see such gloves become smaller, these look quite compact, if they work they could eventually maybe replace the somewhat faked tracking of Index style stuff with full simulation and haptic/force feedback on top of that!
They say a consumer version is planned but who knows how good/affordable/supported such a product will be and if the company will have a long life alongside the product, we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: RokkanStoned

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
I got Journey of the Gods PC and played a bit. It's not really Zelda-like but it feels good. Nice yet simple combat systems between the sword and shield, crossbow and god powers you acquire. But it's not at all open (so far), you have a hub with a handful of NPCs and open up new areas in a preset sequence as each area is essentially an old school "stage" with one primary quest to complete before going back to the hub and opening a new area and maybe some bonus items off the beaten path. They mix and match some things but they're heavily combat focused, no real puzzling or anything. It feels good, it looks stylish, but, again, so far, it's not nearly of the caliber you might have expected by all the it's like a VR Zelda hype. It's good, I don't regret getting it and if it ever goes on sale I'd say it's a no brainer as the few things they do here they do them great. The different enemy types with their abilities and how you can counter them or exploit their weaknesses and so on. I've upgraded all my gear once so the sword is longer, the crossbow can fire more bolts in sequence and the shield is also larger so it's easier to block projectiles with it. I hope it does well and maybe a sequel can expand on everything and make it a true Zelda-like with puzzles, dungeons, some melee/humanoid enemies that can match your skill, maybe an interconnected overworld and such to give it some breadth and depth on top.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

Jan 7, 2014
I got Journey of the Gods PC and played a bit. It's not really Zelda-like but it feels good. Nice yet simple combat systems between the sword and shield, crossbow and god powers you acquire. But it's not at all open (so far), you have a hub with a handful of NPCs and open up new areas in a preset sequence as each area is essentially an old school "stage" with one primary quest to complete before going back to the hub and opening a new area and maybe some bonus items off the beaten path. They mix and match some things but they're heavily combat focused, no real puzzling or anything. It feels good, it looks stylish, but, again, so far, it's not nearly of the caliber you might have expected by all the it's like a VR Zelda hype. It's good, I don't regret getting it and if it ever goes on sale I'd say it's a no brainer as the few things they do here they do them great. The different enemy types with their abilities and how you can counter them or exploit their weaknesses and so on. I've upgraded all my gear once so the sword is longer, the crossbow can fire more bolts in sequence and the shield is also larger so it's easier to block projectiles with it. I hope it does well and maybe a sequel can expand on everything and make it a true Zelda-like with puzzles, dungeons, some melee/humanoid enemies that can match your skill, maybe an interconnected overworld and such to give it some breadth and depth on top.
I have this on Quest and it's a good VR game. A little too simple and easy in many respects, but still enjoyable.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
I have this on Quest and it's a good VR game. A little too simple and easy in many respects, but still enjoyable.
Yes, I really like it, at the very least it feels really polished and complete unlike your average indie VR RPG/action adventure on early access (some of which I really like anyway, some times they have more ambitious goals and features but, again, they're not complete after years in some cases while Turtle Rock had a given budget and schedule with possibly little leeway and managed to make it work out wonderfully even if they reined in ambitions somewhat, though this could also be because of the hardware it had to run on being a Quest game first). It's just a smaller scale thing than I expected given some comparisons and it definitely shows its low budget compared to other bigger Oculus funded games, but that doesn't mean they didn't achieve something really cool. I do want to keep playing and I really hope it gets iterated on. I've only played for an hour and already gone past 2 areas (so this seemed to be a third of the game already) and seen the third (but failed twice) so I thought it's also going to be quite short, but going by the menu screen I *think* I have several god powers left to unlock (and then use) so I guess things might keep escalating nicely for a while longer. I'm playing it on Hard so that I don't breeze through it (though if I keep faling this protect the shrine level I might give up on that. haha). That first boss fight was really cool, early in the game so very easy and simple in mechanics, but the style and scale was sweet, I hope there are more.

Last edited: