• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Edit: randomly selected media updates from the last page, there were tons of cool stuff so check it yourself thoroughly for much more, I can only embed 10 of them in a post :)

Is a pulley system a seriously good investment? I have a Rift S that I love to bits, but the wire does get a little annoying from time-to-time. My biggest thing is that I don't want to drill any holes in the roof either, so hopefully they'd make ones that are adhesive instead.

For the raw price to performance I couldn't be any happier with the Rift S, I'm going to have to do some modding for it though. Using any headset with glasses on is a huge pain in the ass so I'm picking up those prescription lens inserts you can use. I've been debating picking up one of the Vive Deluxe Audio Straps too and using one of the many modding solutions people have come up with to replace my Rift S's headband.
I got pulleys and I like them, it makes me much more likely to turn around and stuff physically than resort to the analog stick. That said I upgraded to the pulleys at the same time as I did from a 2-tracker system to a 360 degree 3-tracker system (original Rift) so perhaps I'd learn to make do anyway. They're cheap so just try it.

Last edited:

Reon

I got pulleys and I like them, it makes me much more likely to turn around and stuff physically than resort to the analog stick. That said I upgraded to the pulleys at the same time as I did from a 2-tracker system to a 360 degree 3-tracker system (original Rift) so perhaps I'd learn to make do anyway. They're cheap so just try it.
Thanks for the info! I tend to use the analog stick a lot for turning and keep my body mostly stationary, so that sounds like it would help me a lot. I'll pick some up and give it a go.

If price were not an issue, and you had a fairly large room, what VR headset/input devices would you guys recommend? Also, is there something new coming in the next 6 months that is expected to surpass what is top of the line today?

INC

If price were not an issue, and you had a fairly large room, what VR headset/input devices would you guys recommend? Also, is there something new coming in the next 6 months that is expected to surpass what is top of the line today?

Index

Personally rift s is the best value/performance device currently

Reon

If price is not an issue and your play space is relatively large, then definitely go for the Valve Index. This is provided that you don't mind the external cameras being placed in the room, as you'll need to put a few down for tracking purposes.

I really, really like the Rift S due to the inside-out tracking meaning that you don't need to put external cameras down, but the Index does have a few positives over it that would make the Index an overall better headset.

Techies

I must admit Archgate has some really interesting ideas. Wonder if they'll be able to pull off their vision.

Limiting number of active subscribers, having perma death high risk/high reward sections with live actors and gamemasters in VR is pretty interesting.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Come on, there are intense locomotion VR games like Jet Island, it could be good, it looks promising. Though having to always look at your feet for the tricks might be weird, at least it's also very different to VR Skater which looked awesome before realizing it's on rails (but may still be plenty fun)!

Last edited:

Knch

I'm getting Windlands with better graphics but less physical control vibes from it. And Windlands was very hurltastic.

Might be I'm actually used to it now, but I can't see how not somehow controlling a skateboard game with your feet doesn't lead to nausea.

Looks like a relaxing (as in slow as mole-asses (sp?)) mix of beat saber (as in "slashing" things) and pistol whip (as in constant forward movement)

Last edited:

Alexios

I hope this isn't true but they've been much more quiet since Feb 12th's hotfix patch, though they posted that second tweet on Feb 20th (gifts to get fired with?!) and the game's twitter account is still active too:

Their game seems to have sold even better than mainstream stuff like Pistol Whip going by the amount of user reviews and they had announced Quest and PSVR ports, the former should add a great deal more sales as it did for Pistol Whip (way more, like triple, user reviews for Quest vs Steam).

Last edited:

Vlodril

Still trying to decide between the rift and index (not that i can buy the index i guess my choice might be made for me). I wanted to ask about the various stores. If i have a rift or an index does it lock you out of the other stores or you can get any game no matter what device is made for?

As far as pc goes at least obviously psvr is a special case.

INC

Still trying to decide between the rift and index (not that i can buy the index i guess my choice might be made for me). I wanted to ask about the various stores. If i have a rift or an index does it lock you out of the other stores or you can get any game no matter what device is made for?

As far as pc goes at least obviously psvr is a special case.

Honestly the index is a lot for not a huge return, the 144hz is a massive plus, but is it worth the extra £600......I'm not so sure.

The rift s for me runs greats, it's crystal clear, comfy, inside out tracking works fantastic (unless it's too close to face, which is basically never, or behind your back, again which is basically never)

For £350 it's probably the best all round value/performance.

Honestly if you wanna spend £900 on a headset is wait for the next gen of headset's

INC

You think Sony is going to make bigger advances than either Valve or Facebook?

I think for the price Sony hit the right notes. But the tech was lacking.

Really with a new console there's huge potential. Depends what they focus on.

I can see it being higher res than a rift s, a 110°+ FoV and proper 80+90hz

And the patent for their new controllers looks like knuckles Rip off.

Sony are in the best position to make games too with all the studios behind then, and let's not forget it's completely BC.

What would be the biggest advancement and a game changer is if they add eye tracking into the headset.

So yeh I can see them doing better than the index if they bother. Which I hope they do.

Last edited:

Knch

I think for the price Sony hit the right notes. But the tech was lacking.

Really with a new console there's huge potential. Depends what they focus on.

I can see it being higher res than a rift s, a 110°+ FoV and proper 80+90hz

And the patent for their new controllers looks like knuckles Rip off.

Sony are in the best position to make games too with all the studios behind then, and let's not forget it's completely BC.

What would be the biggest advancement and a game changer is if they add eye tracking into the headset.

So yeh I can see them doing better than the index if they bother. Which I hope they do.
Selling more, making more money, sure. Being better? Doubt. (x)

Wonko_C

I'm hoping PSVR2 is at least up to Index standards hardware-wise, but wireless and with a better screen (reduced screendoor) and great optics (they do their own cameras and stuff after all). Add PC compatibility and we're in business.

Alexios

Dreadhalls dev's new project, it looks much more developed, less barren. I'm getting System Shock 2 vibes from that organic material infecting the ship :)

ff780bd98fda7166587171301d05c3dbe3770709.png
f43065dad6e064fd5eab7dd0a2cae885ef87757d.png
9ac73cd07cc7855b8745498749c152051502f9fe.png
d1123a81d738f3debd047b72829cc09001fb3805.png
1dd5a9fa34a0052999dbb2091942ab071cc8541c.png

Last edited:

Vlodril

There are so many videos here. Is there a recommendation thread for vr games? If not anyone has some games to recommend for pc vr? I know i want to try out lone echo, the walking dead game , asgards wrath and alyx of course when that comes out.

Alexios

There are so many videos here. Is there a recommendation thread for vr games? If not anyone has some games to recommend for pc vr? I know i want to try out lone echo, the walking dead game , asgards wrath and alyx of course when that comes out.
Sorry, dicussion doesn't remain static when there's so much cool, promising, inventive and otherwise neat shit strutting their stuff (even if the end result isn't always the best, it all helps VR evolve and mature). As you ask, you shall receive:

TWD: Saints & Sinners is a sweet immersive sim-lite with great action and decent resource management.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure with nicely integrated teleport mechanics and a new sequel.

Apex Construct is a sci fi action adventure game with archery systems at its core.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than it seems at first but still fun as hell.

The Thrill of the Fight is a boxing sim, if less fancy than the gamey Creed and its Rocky license.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Pistol Whip is the new kid on the rhythm game block, I love it like it’s a funky musical Virtua Cop-like.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight but maybe the best of the genre in VR.

In Death is an archery based rogue-lite I spent many hours in early on despite the limited scope.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo!

Racket Fury is a very polished table tennis game, the realism was surreal at first despite the sci fi.

Catch & Release is a fishing game. Who doesn’t like fishing? I want Twilight Princess fishing in VR now.

Moss is a third person action adventure, you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Space Junkies is a PVP zero gravity arena FPS, like Quake in space, great for some instant action.

Ultrawings is a flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings, goals and stuff to get through.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with not-web-swinging and archery, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP mech combat game with awesome cockpits.

Raw Data is probably the best of the arena/wave shooters with different classes, progression & co-op.

Onward is my favorite “standard” FPS, PVP focused, some co-op & the best feel for weapons/gadgets.

Lone Echo is a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR and its $10 Combat DLC rock too.

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great interactions.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have progression etc.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

There are many great early access games too, I like where Vengeful Rites is going as a VR RPG action adventure with sword wielding, spell casting, the works and there’s also the free-for-now A Township Tale alpha to try for some online rpging/surviving/crafting alongside social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, even Bigscreen. VTOL VR is a great indie combat flight sim with wonderfully interactive cockpits. There are also ports of non-VR games or games that are both for VR and regular play, which are done very well, as long as you like the base games. Titles like Skyrim VR, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally 1 & 2, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and others were converted very well. Some like Fallout 4 VR weren’t as successful however so some caution is necessary before purchase. Others have been converted by fan modifications, MotherVR is a great mod for Alien Isolation, without hand tracking, while the same creator is working on ReclaimerVR, a mod for Halo: The Master Chief Collection that will include that and another guy works on an Outer Wilds mod with hand tracking as well, it's looking pretty sweet.

I guess I'll add this to the OP.

Last edited:
Rift S arrived. It's great. No problems with setup, up and running in 5 minutes.

So much better than PSVR. And I think due to the lack of 'world sway' I have been able to play much longer sessions than I could with PSVR, where I would feel queasy in something as tame as Tumble VR.

I'll be keeping tabs on this thread to keep me up to date. Thanks guys!

Alexios

Last edited:

INC

Rift S arrived. It's great. No problems with setup, up and running in 5 minutes.

So much better than PSVR. And I think due to the lack of 'world sway' I have been able to play much longer sessions than I could with PSVR, where I would feel queasy in something as tame as Tumble VR.

I'll be keeping tabs on this thread to keep me up to date. Thanks guys!

Best advice, get a pulley system and a bathmat

The bathmat is keeping you central and always knowing where your feet are, download turn signal too

Have fun

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Sanzaru gets bought by Facebook but, other than a mention by OP in this thread, not a single word on gaf which is a shame... This is very very good news for oculus platform.

Alexios

Sanzaru gets bought by Facebook but, other than a mention by OP in this thread, not a single word on gaf which is a shame... This is very very good news for oculus platform.
Better news for Sanzaru. Probably done to avoid another Insomniac situation, I'm sure Oculus would have loved to fund another Stormland caliber game but, Sony. I hope Sanzaru improves their output a lot with this new support and funding.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wow... Rift S and Valve Index are both unavailable. I wonder if it's the virus or half life.
I wanted to get index for Alyx but it seems I will not

Alexios

Both, and general VR demand, they've been more or less sold out since last year's Alyx showcase. S briefly returned and depending on your area you could find one in-stores. Index is set to return but in very low numbers due to the corona virus...

But it's cool, we can just assume you'd go all "I tried VR again and I still don't like it, it gets people sick and it doesn't look better than my 8k monitor, I can see the pixels" (scale and interactivity and immersion be damned), seems inevitable :p:messenger_heart:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Both, and general VR demand, they've been more or less sold out since last year's Alyx showcase. S briefly returned and depending on your area you could find one in-stores. Index is set to return but in very low numbers due to the corona virus...

But it's cool, we can just assume you'd go all "I tried VR again and I still don't like it, it gets people sick and it doesn't look better than my 8k monitor, I can see the pixels" (scale and interactivity and immersion be damned), seems inevitable :p:messenger_heart:
I will probably end this way but fuck me if I am not hyped for half life :p S would be enough but... it must be index with finger tracking for half life

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Thanks for the rename DGrayson DGrayson !

No probs now excuse me while i duck out cause i cannot afford any more hardware 🙄

mitchman

Gold Member
Trying to get hold of a Oculus Rift S headset to replace my CV1 seems challenging, it seems. Backordered for 2 months so far, I expect the mid March shipping date to slip. I guess there's a higher demand due to HL release or something.

Vlodril

Got the Rift S (was available and came the next day here). Didn't get to put too much time into it. Got Lone echo. The movement is great. I really like the controllers. Was fairly easy to set up.

It is much clearer than the psvr but still not as clear as i would have wished. Even with the options on max.

Also all three ports of my gpu are full so having to go under my desk to remove a monitor to use the vr is kinda a pain in the ass :p

Alexios

Pretty big VR Dungeon Knight update with an all new class & stuff, I'm not a big fan of the game but cool:

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Valve got my controllers back today but someone in reddit said they’re out of stock on left handed ones???? fffffffffffffffffuuuuucccckkk

Alexios

Oh, neat, I saw the teaser before but it was only for Quest, they added the + Rift now for the full trailer, yay! I don't mind low-fi Quest graphics for PC, I finally just finished Journey of the Gods and it was brilliant.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yet another H3VR update and it seems to be substantial too, or are its changelogs always this huge?

Watch veterans try to not get PTSD while promoting this BR VR game (nah, just cringe marketing stuff):

And loads more VR game updates today (some I missed because they didn't show in a news feed before)!

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Watching "simple" actions like when a player tossed the gun to another in a completely natural way like in that Virtual Battlegrounds video never ceases to amaze me.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yet another H3VR update and it seems to be substantial too, or are its changelogs always this huge?

Anton has been been working on this since January so it turned out a bit bigger. I hope the next big one is the new map for Take & Hold.

GeForce Game Ready 442.50 WHQL driver added a few new VRSS profiles

•VRChat
•Budget Cuts 2: Mission Insolvency
•The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
•Doctor Who
•PokerStarsVR

Last edited:

Alexios

Compared to the previous VR mods for Quake, mine features:
  • Hand tracking for both hands
  • VR melee system
  • Weapon models with ironsights and hands
  • Extensive customization options and menu
  • Rebalanced gameplay for VR (e.g. smaller hitboxes and bullet spread)
  • Hand interactions (pick up items, press buttons)
  • Pass VR data to QuakeC, so that it can be used in scripts
  • Clang-tidy up and C++-ification of the source code
  • And probably more :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom