• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Tap for Wii (Prope's game)

This game wasn't on my radar til I saw this bumped and all the recent posts/pics/vids... :O

That is damn catchy stuff. If it plays as well as some of the impressions say, sold!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Core407 said:
This game looks so friggin' badass. I think it could work as a PSN title with sixaxis support.
This is the last thread I expected to read something like this.

Core407

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:
Wait wha...........?

Joke post?

Nope, not at all. It really wouldn't be that difficult to replicate it. Assuming the Sixaxis can register movements as much as I think it can. Running speed could be done by rotating the controller forward and backward repeatadly and to do a jump, just move the controller downward.

Core407 said:
Nope, not at all. It really wouldn't be that difficult to replicate it. Assuming the Sixaxis can register movements as much as I think it can. Running speed could be done by rotating the controller forward and backward repeatadly and to do a jump, just move the controller downward.

...The game is called Let's Tap.

Core407 said:
That's not tapping.

Core407

Banned
Pachael said:
Let's Spin (PSN)

Jokes aside, I think the core gameplay could work pretty well. I'd just make the game completely motion sensing - no buttons required (except for menus and whatnot). With this, you'd be able to hold the controller in a way that allow for the kind of movement needed for running without causing wrist problems. Either way, game looks badass and the Seganess shines through pretty well.

Core407

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Let's Waggle?

Gotta say, this is one of the stranger port requests I've heard.

Strange doesn't neccessarly mean bad though. I got another one for you, Cosmic Smash for PSN!

radioheadrule83 said:
To be fair the sixaxis can probably pick up tapping if you place the controller on a box too. Chances of it happening are probably low though.

No, I don't think it works like that.

radioheadrule83 said:
To be fair the sixaxis can probably pick up tapping if you place the controller on a box too. Chances of it happening are probably low though.
I thought about that, too. I wonder if the shape of the controller might be an impediment to that, though. The PS3 controller wouldn't be flush with the box, whereas the Wiimote is.

Core407

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I thought about that, too. I wonder if the shape of the controller might be an impediment to that, though. The PS3 controller wouldn't be flush with the box, whereas the Wiimote is.

Depends on how sensitive the motion sensing is. I just think it's an ideal game for the PSN model.

Core407 said:
Depends on how sensitive the motion sensing is. I just think it's an ideal game for the PSN model.
Maybe. The control layout you suggested wouldn't work too well with the game as-is, though, in my opinion. The courses can be pretty long, and I think that kind of sustained back-and-forthing would test even the strongest wrists. Heck, even tapping, my fingers were a bit tired by the end of the course.

Core407

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe. The control layout you suggested wouldn't work too well with the game as-is, though, in my opinion. The courses can be pretty long, and I think that kind of sustained back-and-forthing would test even the strongest wrists. Heck, even tapping, my fingers were a bit tired by the end of the course.

The way I imagined you would hold the controller is with your thumb and middle finger or index finger. Thumbs on the front side, middle fingers/index fingers on the back in a C shape. Just limit the range in rotation needed and to jump, slam the controller down. If you have a sixaxis near you, try it - I don't have one at this point.

Core407 said:
The way I imagined you would hold the controller is with your thumb and middle finger or index finger. Thumbs on the front side, middle fingers/index fingers on the back in a C shape. Just limit the range in rotation needed and to jump, slam the controller down. If you have a sixaxis near you, try it - I don't have one at this point.
A PENGUIN CAN'T DO THAT!!

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
That just seems like such a bad idea - I mean, tapping is an integral part of the game. Yeah I know you can just replace "tap" with "waggle", but then you lose the visceral sensory pleasure of actually hitting something. It'd be like replacing Rock Band drums with different sixaxis gestures - a huge fucking waste of time.

Look at all the Wii games that've replaced perfectly fine button tapping with arbitrary motion controls, and how pissed everyone is at them. There's a reason for that.

Core407

Banned
Pseudo_Sam said:
That just seems like such a bad idea - I mean, tapping is an integral part of the game. Yeah I know you can just replace "tap" with "waggle", but then you lose the visceral sensory pleasure of actually hitting something. It'd be like replacing Rock Band drums with different sixaxis gestures - a huge fucking waste of time.

Look at all the Wii games that've replaced perfectly fine button tapping with arbitrary motion controls, and how pissed everyone is at them. There's a reason for that.

I just got home and tried it; you're right, it doesn't work.

CTLance

The only thing that worries me is the homicidal rage I'm going to feel when(/if?) my tapping makes the Wiimote jump off the box or edge into my designated tapping space© - just like a mobile phone set to vibrate kinda wanders around when left to its own devices. I think for longer sessions one may want to restrict Wiimote movements.

...Maybe we'll get a Deluxe box as optional upgrade? One with a small indentation to place the Wiimote in?

I'm still thinking it's hilarious we'll be playing with a box of all things. So awesome. And the music. Oh my.

As i said before, Yuji Naka confirmed he was underway with a Sonic-like action game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20587

I went to Let's Tap website, and I can across what seems to be a series of blog posts, which contain artwork of these two characters:

16jq77r.jpg

That bird would seem like a great fit for such a game, just not one that's speed-focused as Sonic, but I doubt this game would be speed-focused, as Billy Hatcher wasn't.

It's a nice, slightly edgy design with those headphones and that haircut, I think he has potential!

So I wonder if this bird is in fact the star of this Sonic-like action game by Prope.

Thoughts?

Including about the pic itself. :lol

Fine

Woah. And I thought that the Let's Tap title screen theme was addictive.

I can't close the browser either. What the hell.

Haunted

Stormbringer said:
Sound exhibition vids (Rhythm Tap) :

Demo 1

Demo 2

So damn catchy :D . Here is hoping the gameplay is as good as the soundtrack, because if that turns out to be the case, we could end up with a hit on our hands.
Super-weird association, but that second song totally reminded me of earlier International Superstar Soccer titles. >_<

Now I can't get it out of my head.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Excellent video.

I'll say it again, but I really think Prope is onto something with Let's Tap, provided they don't completely fuck up the communication on the game.

The whole package just screams fun and acessibility. It also looks refreshing (well, apart from Rhythm Tap, which is not really original).

[EDIT] To comment more on the video, the running game looks so fun, I hope it's fleshed-out with tons of tracks (maybe randomized obstacle courses?). The experimental games (the aquarium and the ink thing), I don't know, I still don't get what they're about. The shooting game could be fun too.

Gagaman

The music in this game is so addictive. I also find myself playing along to the rhythm level videos, tapping on my table like how I presume it plays. :lol

Jermzic

Gagaman said:
The music in this game is so addictive. I also find myself playing along to the rhythm level videos, tapping on my table like how I presume it plays. :lol

Yeah, I do the same thing. :D

Eteric Rice

It is clear to me that this man needs to be hired to make a new Sonic game.

Also, this is how a mini-game compilation needs to be done.

Top Bottom