• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Izayoi

Banned
To be honest MX Clears are the last switch I'd recommend for gaming. Some people like them I guess, but I wouldn't use them on a 'board I bought specifically for gaming on.

I'd sooner get something like the backlit Noppoo PRO with the switches you prefer, and do a keycap swap on it. I don't know of anyone other than Deck that has dye sub keycaps w/ transparency for backlighting, but I wouldn't choose a 'board just because of that. Have to imagine you'd be more satisfied with better switches and lasered/etched keycaps that are still PBT or something nice.
Well, one of my biggest pet peeves when using a keyboard is when letters and stuff start to wear off. I'm also not a huge fan of being able to actually feel the letters - which kind of leaves me in a bind regarding etching. If I absolutely have to get an etched in order to get Browns, I guess I will. The selection of keyboards with them looks pretty slim, though, and many of them aren't even available anymore as far as I can tell (at least using that overclock.net article as reference). On Noppoo's site I was unable to find anything about the keyboard you mentioned, and all I can find for actually buying it are shady looking eBay postings - are there no official channels to go through in order to get it?

Wallach

Well, one of my biggest pet peeves when using a keyboard is when letters and stuff start to wear off. I'm also not a huge fan of being able to actually feel the letters - which kind of leaves me in a bind regarding etching. If I absolutely have to get an etched in order to get Browns, I guess I will. The selection of keyboards with them looks pretty slim, though, and many of them aren't even available anymore as far as I can tell (at least using that overclock.net article as reference). On Noppoo's site I was unable to find anything about the keyboard you mentioned, and all I can find for actually buying it are shady looking eBay postings - are there no official channels to go through in order to get it?

Not sure what you mean, MX Browns are one of the most common Cherry switches in the world. Brown/Black/Blue are the three standard switches 99% of mechanical 'boards that use Cherry switches ship with today. It's probably more than there are almost no backlit mechanical 'boards out there to begin with, I suppose.

As far as the Noppooo specifically, if you really wanted to get one here in the US I'd probably get it from this guy who handles imports from China: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/

He's got a vendor section on Geekhack too; I wouldn't recommend him if I thought he were a risky seller. You could contact him over there if you're unsure, or just to make sure you are buying the right 'board.

There's some other backlit keyboards out there that I know you can pick up with MX Browns - just looking through his shop again there's the Ducky Shine and that KBT Race (though I don't know what kind of layouts you'd be willing to consider). Still, backlit mechanicals are a niche of an already niche market; there's just not much selection out there, and what is there isn't priced very competitively (or is totally gross/cheap like XArmor stuff).

tuffy

Well, one of my biggest pet peeves when using a keyboard is when letters and stuff start to wear off. I'm also not a huge fan of being able to actually feel the letters - which kind of leaves me in a bind regarding etching. If I absolutely have to get an etched in order to get Browns, I guess I will. The selection of keyboards with them looks pretty slim, though, and many of them aren't even available anymore as far as I can tell (at least using that overclock.net article as reference).
If you want lettering that you can't feel, but won't wear off, look for keys that are dye sublimated like those found on Topre keyboards.

SUPARSTARX

Alright, help a mech. keyboard newb here... something to replace my G15..

I'm looking for....
quiet mechanical keys or as quiet as they can get....
light up
compact design
colored keys for gaming

Keyouta

Just got in my new das ultimate keyboard. I love typing on this thing.

In general, how long is the expected lifespan on these types of keyboards?

Wallach

Just got in my new das ultimate keyboard. I love typing on this thing.

In general, how long is the expected lifespan on these types of keyboards?

Hard to say really, since usage is the big determining factor (assuming the 'board isn't subject to damage like corrosion). Cherry rates the individual switches at 50 million strokes. To get a rough idea, that's about a full year's worth of typing @ 95 WPM.

Reg

Banned
Picked up a cooler master quickfire keyboard which uses blue switches. Gotta say that it's a real joy to type on. Absolutely love the clicky sound.

Drayis75

Neo Member
Anyone order from Tiger imports . net? I'm think about ordering a Ducky from there.

I ordered a Ducky Shine with cherry browns from them about a month and a half ago. Just make sure if you want to track it create an account, then order it. Although you can order without creating one, you don't get nearly as much order visibility. As far as the keyboard goes? Loving it. It's a little smaller than a normal keyboard in width, so be aware there is a bit of an adjustment, but I don't have any regrets about dropping the cash on it.

Diomedes

Rosewill Mechanical from Newegg. I picked up a cherry red KB and am loving it, smooth, no squeals and the subtle colour of the board beneath the keys is nice. Also helped that I got it on sale for 79 and free shipping.

Coming from a Majestouch 2 brown, which I returned because the backspace key squealed like a pig and cost almost twice as much. The Rosewill is very similar to the Filco in some aspects; the finish, LEDs, logo placement. Other areas are different; the cord is removable micro USB and off centre and the key printing is not recessed so may wear off sooner than Filco.

For the price you can't beat it, I love it.

gotee12

For the price you can't beat it, I love it.

I felt the same way... until the usb jack started coming loose. If you travel with the keyboard (using it both at home and work) like I do, that usb jack in the keyboard won't last very long. The only support it has is the soldering itself. It won't take too many unplug/replugs before you start to notice issues like I did. I'm now on a Corsair K90 with reds...

So reading this thread prompted me to pop out at lunch and pick up a QPad MK80 (blue Cherry switches) for work to replace the terrible Dell thing I had before.

Wow.

I've been using this Unicomp Ultra Classic for almost a month now.

uni1.jpg

uni2.jpg

It took about a week for me to get used to the loud tappa tappa tappa and the extra force necessary to press the bucking spring keys, but since then I've been in love with it. The build quality is definitely a bit cheap; the base creaks when pressed upon and some of the key caps had little plastic pieces still attached, which is disappointing considering it cost $80 (this video review covers the build quality problems pretty thoroughly). But again, since the first week those flaws haven't bothered me and I've been loving typing on it. I was worried that the noise would become annoying when playing games but in Battlefield 3 it's not annoying at all, and in fact it feels like what I should have been using all along. Being able to both feel and hear when a key is pressed is immensely satisfying. I chose this over a Leopold Brown and while I'm very happy with my decision I'm still curious about the Leopold. I might order one someday when I have money to burn, but I'm afraid that after continued usage of the Unicomp I won't be happy with anything other than buckling springs.

Anyway, this is a great thread, and I'm glad it's helped spread some ASMR awareness (I didn't learn of its name until a few months ago on reddit)!

mhayze

I use:

Apple Pro Keyboard A1048
mac+pro+keyboard.jpg

5.jpg

Unfortunately they're expensive and Apple doesn't make them anymore.
The thing I like about this one is that the bottom row of keys is gently sloped downward, so there's never a sharp cornered edge. (you can kind of see it in those pictures)

I tried a Das for a while and while I loved the feel of it, my fingers started to get a bit worn out from touching the cornered edge of the bottom row whenever I'd do a command/control key combo.

Do any mechanical keyboards also feature this "sloped downward" shape on their bottom row of keys?

I don't know if I am imagining it, but the Matias keyboards look like they have a slope too.
http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

ParityBit

Wow this was a GREAT thread! I learned a lot and now plan on getting a mech for my new build. Which would you suggest? If either....

Razr BlackWidow Ultimate or Corsair X K60?

Thanks!

gotee12

If there's a Best Buy near you they should have a BlackWidow there that you can try. Of those two I'd choose the Corsair.

This is really good advice. Once you know what blues are like, you'll then have a better idea as to which kind of cherrys you want. Since the rest of the cherrys are variants of blues IMHO (quieter, softer/harder, etc.).

Edit: I'd also suggest the K90 instead of the K60. I have two K90's now and I love them. It's not a complete mechanical (function keys, ins, end, home, del, pg up/down and macros are domes) but it's still a great board with reds. And if you need more than 54 macro keys, then you got issues my friend...

Edit the 2nd: I didn't realize the K60 had reds as well...

MrBig

I've had the K60 for a week and I love it. The aluminum finish with black floating keys just looks amazing, and the volume scroll wheel is awesome as well. I didn't want function keys on mine so I didn't get the K90 (just about every review of the K90 has said that the backlights start to go out after a week or so, too)
The activation force with reds is less than that of a laptop keyboard. It's amazing for the few games that I've tried out with it, movement is effortless, feels more like I'm using an analog console controller that you just have to slightly press to start moving, as opposed to having to press keys all the way down, then let come back up and down again; my fingers are always partially floating through presses.
For typing though I find my self fat fingering often because the minimal activation force means just brushing a key will send a keystroke. I haven't gotten used to and compensated for that yet.

The K60 reportedly has a problem with the key labels wearing off. Corsair will RMA it and send you a new board that doesn't have that problem if it starts happening to you. I don't know if the problem is still present in the stock that you can purchase now; mine hasn't shown any wear.

uni1.jpg

uni2.jpg

It took about a week for me to get used to the loud tappa tappa tappa and the extra force necessary to press the bucking spring keys, but since then I've been in love with it. The build quality is definitely a bit cheap; the base creaks when pressed upon and some of the key caps had little plastic pieces still attached, which is disappointing considering it cost $80 (this video review covers the build quality problems pretty thoroughly). But again, since the first week those flaws haven't bothered me and I've been loving typing on it. I was worried that the noise would become annoying when playing games but in Battlefield 3 it's not annoying at all, and in fact it feels like what I should have been using all along. Being able to both feel and hear when a key is pressed is immensely satisfying. I chose this over a Leopold Brown and while I'm very happy with my decision I'm still curious about the Leopold. I might order one someday when I have money to burn, but I'm afraid that after continued usage of the Unicomp I won't be happy with anything other than buckling springs.

Anyway, this is a great thread, and I'm glad it's helped spread some ASMR awareness (I didn't learn of its name until a few months ago on reddit)!

Buckling springs are awesome. I'm rocking a '88 Model M right now and never want to switch to anything else. In fact I have two more of these (although newer) lying around as reserves, should anything happen to this one.

What a great thread... went with a DAS Pro. Thanks to all!

A few days in and I gotta say, wow not only did I forget how great it is to type on these things, I also am realizing how much I've been punishing my fingers on the crap OEM keyboards that come with having a job. Going to invest in another for the workplace. It's pretty fantastic.

MisterNoisy

uni1.jpg

uni2.jpg

Unicomps/Model Ms are godly for actual typing. Here's mine (Customizer 104 I bought to replace the shitty Dell OEM keyboard at work):
61xlu.jpg

For home, I'm using a AZiO Levetron Mech4 (Cherry Blacks and built like a damned tank)

Firehead

After seeing this thread on the front page a few times, I've become somewhat interested in mechanical keyboards. I still don't understand the advantages of them, mind you.
Anyways, I found one for $10 at the flea market today -- IBM Model M 1391401 (great condition, aside for the F3 key, which is replaced with a neutral grey key).

It's taking some getting used to; I'm not used to the elevation... it's hurting my wrist a bit.
Also, this thing is REALLY LOUD.

.nimrod

Do you guys recommend any entry level mechanical keyboards? like <$50 or am I dreaming?

You might be able to get a Cherry G80-3000 for around $50 depending on where you live.
The build quality isn't great, but it uses the same switches as almost all other mechanical keyboards.

You might be able to get a Cherry G80-3000 for around $50 depending on where you live.
The build quality isn't great, but it uses the same switches as almost all other mechanical keyboards.

I will take a look thank you.

I noticed my local walmart has a Razer blackwidow for $74.99

well I am typing this on a razer blackwidow ($79) version and I freaking love it. its a little loud but typing on it is so much nicer.

I.AM.IN.LOVE.

Thanks tactile Gaf.

raven777

My first Mechanical Keyboard was Razer Blackwidow, then I switched to Filco Majestouch Ninja Tenkeyless brown switch.

I have to say Majestouch is such an amazing keyboard. I got brown switch because they didn't have blue at the time(I don't know if they have it now) But I am happy with brown swtich, in fact I like it more than blue now.

Majestouch is expensive, but its decent price for a mechanical keyboard, considering how expensive real force and happy hacking are.

I think my local thrift store has a Model M (my buddy says so)

I have zero experience with this keyboard in the last 15 years. How do you connect a model M to a modern computer?

I have zero experience with this keyboard in the last 15 years. How do you connect a model M to a modern computer?

Unless it's really old it should come with a PS/2 connector and you can just plug it in (assuming your motherboard has a PS/2 port) or use a PS/2-USB adapter. Not all adapters work though, so you'll have to look into that first. If it's a really old keyboard it'll have a DIN connector, and then you'll have to get some kind of adapter or buy a PS/2 cable for it, which should be fairly easy to find. The good thing about older Model M's is that the cable is detachable and "upgradeable" so you just buy a new cable with the connector you want, snap it in and you're ready to go.

Unless it's really old it should come with a PS/2 connector and you can just plug it in (assuming your motherboard has a PS/2 port) or use a PS/2-USB adapter. Not all adapters work though, so you'll have to look into that first. If it's a really old keyboard it'll have a DIN connector, and then you'll have to get some kind of adapter or buy a PS/2 cable for it, which should be fairly easy to find. The good thing about older Model M's is that the cable is detachable and "upgradeable" so you just buy a new cable with the connector you want, snap it in and you're ready to go.

thank you for the info! my buddy grabbed it for me I will take a look at it tonight.

for my other computer I returned the Razer Blackwidow that I had since it has so many bad reviews about the quailty over time.

should I grab a Steel Series 6GV2 or a Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire??

thank you for the info! my buddy grabbed it for me I will take a look at it tonight.

for my other computer I returned the Razer Blackwidow that I had since it has so many bad reviews about the quailty over time.

should I grab a Steel Series 6GV2 or a Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire??

You have a model m now, there's no need to change for many many years :p My model m is from '88 and still feels like new, so they have an insane lifetime. But out of those two I'd probably pick the cooler master (I assume you meant the QuickFire Rapid) since the 6GV2 only comes with cherry black, and I'm not really a fan of them. I've only tried the 6GV2 in person so I can't say anything about the quality of the QuickFire, but the 6GV2 felt sturdy and without bells and whistles.

Most Model M's have PS2 connections. If your PC has a PS2 port on the back, you should be good to go. If not, you could always find a PS2 to USB connector, like one of these:

C250-2001_main.jpg

I still have a Model M 1391401 (Leximark) with detachable keys, buckle springs and removable PS2 connection in perfect working condition. I don't really use it for anything though, but I am not sure if I would want to give it up either. The build quality on these keyboards are insane, mine has a manufacturing date of March 1994. Not at all like the cheap *rubber spring* keyboards you get these days.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain to me exactly why you would pay $80+ for a keyboard when you can just get any old Dell or Logitech keyboard for like $15? I'm not being critical, just genuinely curious. I mean, all you do is press buttons on the thing, and as long as the thing isn't falling apart and the inputs are near instantaneous, why would you ever pay that much for a keyboard?

cametall

Can someone explain to me exactly why you would pay $80+ for a keyboard when you can just get any old Dell or Logitech keyboard for like $15? I'm not being critical, just genuinely curious. I mean, all you do is press buttons on the thing, and as long as the thing isn't falling apart and the inputs are near instantaneous, why would you ever pay that much for a keyboard?

If MX Blues are actually better for your fingers when typing I will happily drop the money to buy two of them.

Problem is no where here has them sitting out to try.

If MX Blues are actually better for your fingers when typing I will happily drop the money to buy two of them.

Problem is no where here has them sitting out to try.

Walmart sells Razer Blackwidows that uses MXBlues and the box has the arrow keys open to try.

I had my wife just play with those 4 keys and she immediately told me to buy it.

would you say the quality of an official Xbox controller is the same as a 10 dollar knock off?

same thing! Mechanical keyboards feel much nicer to type on. Its hard to put into words exactly but its a much better and more comfortable feeling when you use it. The noise it makes is also awesome.. so there is that.

Orayn

To put it succinctly, mechanical switches feel nicer to press and have a longer lifespan.

1-D_FTW

To put it succinctly, mechanical switches feel nicer to press and have a longer lifespan.

They're also a lot crisper and predictable in their behavior. Which means you can type faster and more consistently if you're a ten finger typer.

obonicus

In part, you're paying for quality. Mechanical switches have pretty long lifespans*. Mostly, you're paying for the feel. Nice keys give you a completely different sensation from cheaper keyboards. This explanation is a bit of a copout, but it really is a bit hard to explain why exactly I think it's worth it**.

* I actually broke a unicomp customizer, the space bar wouldn't work anymore. But it was used for pretty much non-stop UT for 3-4 years straight, between me and my roommates at the time.

** There is undoubtedly a bit of fetishization past a certain point. For instance, I own 3 different keyboards with different colored switches (blue, black, brown), and plan on buying a couple more soon (ducky shine in red?, maybe topre). I probably would have been perfectly content with my ducky brown but I still went and got a blue.

would you say the quality of an official Xbox controller is the same as a 10 dollar knock off?

same thing! Mechanical keyboards feel much nicer to type on. Its hard to put into words exactly but its a much better and more comfortable feeling when you use it. The noise it makes is also awesome.. so there is that.

Yeah it comes down to build quality, really. Currently I am using a junky little Logitech keyboard that I paid $20.00 for a few months ago. It's OK, but I have gone through at least two or three of these kinds of keyboards in the last two years. They are very cheap and wear out quickly, and have cheap dome rubber underlays that degrade over time. When you add up the costs of buying a new keyboard every 6 - 7 months, you may as well almost have enough to get a mechanical keyboard.

But a good mechanical keyboard can last for years without degrading in quality. For some people, spending the extra money to get something that has a lot more dependability than a cheap ass 10-20 dollar keyboard can be justified.

My old Model M I have here on my lap still functions like it's new, despite being manufactured in 1994. This was actually the keyboard I swiped from my parents old IBM PC before my dad junked it, because the PC itself was just too old.

I don't really use it through. This thing is a beast, and I don't have the desk space to put it anywhere.

The keyboard is the peripheral you interact the most with (apart from the screen and to some extent the mouse) yet it's the one thing we buy as cheaply as possible. I can draw the same analogy to a computer mouse; why spend a lot on an expensive mouse instead of getting one for a few bucks? Yet this is something many people do regularly, and no one bats an eye. So why do we react when someone buys an expensive, good quality keyboard? I don't know, but I used to think the same. I was happy with my cheap Microsoft keyboard and thought it was enough because hey, it does what it's supposed to do. Then I found a mechanical Model M keyboard and started using it, and now when I type on normal keyboards I can really feel how cheaply they are made and how crappy it is to write on them. This includes even the more expensive Logitech keyboards because even if the keyboard itself is well-built, the keys themselves use the same shitty technology as almost every other keyboard does. The mechanical keyboards, however, all feel much sturdier and the keys last several times longer than their non-mechanical counterparts. As I said in my previous post, my '88 Model M still feels like new, 24 years after it's made.

Top Bottom