• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Do you say bitch or cunt at a lesbian? Or wannabe-dick?

S6YI2hA.gif

Going well, familial relations have never been better, depression is lightening, my sleep has improved, my focus for projects is returning, and finally getting started with all these doctors and the like.

Oh that's good to hear! I didn't know you were depressed, but I think our temperaments are pretty similar so perhaps I should have :p

Also, definitely keep us apprised of your psychonautics or the like! I can't be the only one who'd be mightily interested.

Hahaha, thanks, I will have to (though I'm not sure where).

Sibylus

Banned
Oh that's good to hear! I didn't know you were depressed, but I think our temperaments are pretty similar so perhaps I should have :p
I won't begrudge you the failed telepathy, it took family and friends many years to realize it. Even then, it was their realization long before it was mine. Funny how those things can turn out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I approve of the new thread title! <3

Also, it's strange that, while the old thread was coasting of fumes for the last few hundred posts, a new thread pops up and all of a sudden tons of new people come out of the woodwork and the thread explodes in just a short amount of time.

glad 2 be bi-gaf right now tbqh

Me too *sigh*

Uhhhh what's wrong with a guy in underwear? There are worse posted in any tomb raider thread with her VO in panties with her ass hanging out....

If it's super inappropriate stuff maybe tell a mod?

*bi-gaf secret handshake*

*wiggles ears*

I am well! I ordered a neurofeedback machine today and I'm procrastinating on studying for a mid-term. How are things with you?

WTF is a neurofeedback machine? o__0 sound like some Matrix level shit.

This thread is evidently a grower.

Whatchu mean by that gurl? Don't you dare compare this lovely community to a nasty small penus. Ack.

I won't begrudge you the failed telepathy, it took family and friends many years to realize it. Even then, it was their realization long before it was mine. Funny how those things can turn out.

I think it makes sense in a way. When something is a really persistent quality in your experience it kind of becomes invisible. I think it's like when someone compliments something you do and you're kind of like "oh whatever, it's no big deal", because you just take it for granted.

CDX

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was some woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and obviously futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers

OMG lol

Sibylus

Banned
I think it makes sense in a way. When something is a really persistent quality in your experience it kind of becomes invisible. I think it's like when someone compliments something you do and you're kind of like "oh whatever, it's no big deal", because you just take it for granted.
Yeah, that definitely agrees with my experience. Dragging onself from milepost to milepost, one just begins to assume that this is normality, or that normality is to be found at the next.

Maybe Sisyphus grew accustomed (or numb) to his burdens in time.

WTF is a neurofeedback machine? o__0 sound like some Matrix level shit.

Neurofeedback is like this weird discipline that I'm not completely sold on yet, but if it does what it should it should probably make my meditation practice easier, and I'm all for things being easier.

It's basically biofeedback (if you know what that is) but the biological data is supposed to be particularly relevant to brain activity. The most common is EEG neurofeedback, but there's also others like nIR HEG biofeedback (near-infrared hemoencephalography, which is what the device that I ordered does). The principle of biofeedback in general is basically that if you get additional information on certain systems you have an increased ability to regulate them or exercise control over them. With EEG biofeedback that's stuff like brainwave frequencies (suppressing or promoting changes in amplitude, synchrony between two or more sites, etc). It's all pretty complicated. Hemoencephalography is supposed to be a measure of brain blood flow in response to oxygen similar to fMRI, but it uses optical sensors so it's a bit more limited, usually to the forehead regions because there is no hair to obstruct the signal. The forehead regions are usually associated with executive attention/control though and that's what it's supposed to be really good for. The idea is that we volitionally increase blood flow to certain areas of the brain in response to cognitive load, one of the measures of this signal penalizes drops in this measure below a set threshold, so in theory it's basically 'sustained attention training'.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Neurofeedback is like this weird discipline that I'm not completely sold on yet, but if it does what it should it should probably make my meditation practice easier, and I'm all for things being easier.

It's basically biofeedback (if you know what that is) but the biological data is supposed to be particularly relevant to brain activity. The most common is EEG neurofeedback, but there's also others like nIR HEG biofeedback (near-infrared hemoencephalography, which is what the device that I ordered does). The principle of biofeedback in general is basically that if you get additional information on certain systems you have an increased ability to regulate them or exercise control over them. With EEG biofeedback that's stuff like brainwave frequencies (suppressing or promoting changes in amplitude, synchrony between two or more sites, etc). It's all pretty complicated. Hemoencephalography is supposed to be a measure of brain blood flow similar to fMRI, but it uses optical sensors so it's a bit more limited, usually to the forehead regions because there is no hair to obstruct the signal. The forehead regions are usually associated with executive attention/control though and that's what it's supposed to be really good for. The idea is that we volitionally increase blood flow to certain areas of the brain in response to cognitive load, one of the measures of this signal penalizes drops in this measure below a set threshold, so it's basically 'sustained attention training'.

Oh my god

Well, good luck with...that. I hope it doesn't catch your hair on fire.

Sibylus

Banned

It's basically biofeedback (if you know what that is) but the biological data is supposed to be particularly relevant to brain activity. The most common is EEG neurofeedback, but there's also others like nIR HEG biofeedback (near-infrared hemoencephalography, which is what the device that I ordered does). The principle of biofeedback in general is basically that if you get additional information on certain systems you have an increased ability to regulate them or exercise control over them. With EEG biofeedback that's stuff like brainwave frequencies (suppressing or promoting changes in amplitude, synchrony between two or more sites, etc). It's all pretty complicated. Hemoencephalography is supposed to be a measure of brain blood flow in response to oxygen similar to fMRI, but it uses optical sensors so it's a bit more limited, usually to the forehead regions because there is no hair to obstruct the signal. The forehead regions are usually associated with executive attention/control though and that's what it's supposed to be really good for. The idea is that we volitionally increase blood flow to certain areas of the brain in response to cognitive load, one of the measures of this signal penalizes drops in this measure below a set threshold, so in theory it's basically 'sustained attention training'.
Sounds like something I'd get a kick out of dabbling with myself, though money is obviously an invariant obstacle as study of the brain goes. One day I'll have my sensory deprivation tank, one day!

Nudull

Banned
I've been thinking a lot about beaching out more socially, since my brother will be getting a new car soon, and my folks are still willing to give me his old one. Of course, it'll make working around my "ever-supportive" family a little easier, but I'm still holding a lot of anxiety and nervousness. I don't know too well of the LGBT scene in Florida, and recent happens haven't helped with my self-esteem, either. Ultimately, I think I'll be moving out of state in the future anyway, but I want to least make my life a little more lively, so hopefully, it all works out.

Oh my god

Well, good luck with...that. I hope it doesn't catch your hair on fire.

It shouldn't do anything like that, but EEG neurofeedback (uses an electrical signal) could be dangerous if you did it during a thunderstorm or something, like if a power surge went through your computer, the USB port, and to your head it would be really bad news!

Sounds like something I'd get a kick out of dabbling with myself, though money is obviously an invariant obstacle as study of the brain goes. One day I'll have my sensory deprivation tank, one day!

Yeah, I find the theory really interesting. It is expensive though, the only way I rationalized it is because of the whole monk aspiration thing meaning that meditation would basically be my 'job', and I'm really frugal when it comes to most things so I thought I could risk the occasional potentially silly expense if it's for something 'important' and satisfies my curiosity, etc. I will tell you how it goes.

A sensory deprivation tank would be awesome, but those things are like a down-payment on a house!

I need to go to bed though, talk to you guys later.

DR2K

Banned
I'm always thinking Dorothy Zbornak for some reason.

Hit on a really hot guy at the gym and he definitely hit back, then I remembered that I was in a relationship and nipped that in the bud. Might get a new workout buddy though.

bsej87

Not to be a party pooper, but unless you payed several thousand dollars for that machine, I'm afraid you, at best, got something that will measure galvanic skin response which has little-to-nothing to do with brain activity and certainly doesn't correlate with prefrontal cortex activity in any meaningful way.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gay and Bisexual thread |OT2|Bears and Twinks and Otters. Oh My!
Official stats:

• Replies: 20,001
  • Views: 698,065
  • Tea spilled: 9,941,616,598,191,651,9814¼
  • GIFs and hawt guys posted: 19,865,165
  • Relationships: 14

Xelios-

Replies: 3
Relationship: 1

Not bad.

So tell me gaygaf (not sure if that should be one word or two), has anyone dabbled in tabletop rpgs?

I have, and currently playing a campaign online with a gaffer. What I really want is to play one irl, making it happen, soon. I love arcane and divine casters.
I think krypt0nian is the Gay Tabletop Master, read it in the main neogaf thread

I took care of my Boyfriend's puppy for a week, I was frustrated and annoyed with the dog the first few days. It was like the child I never asked for, he craved for attention. It didn't help that the puppy had tapeworms and dead worms were coming out of his rectum ... ugh.
But it was all worth it, he is a sweetheart and I miss the dam puppy with his crying and tapeworms. Good thing I'm seeing the puppy and my bf today :D. Pictures I took of the cute pup.

nmVriNF.jpg
Cropped pic
http://i.imgur.com/45G9ho6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t2KgkpD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X6ONP7v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rEUbiQ5.jpg

Alrus

Glad to see the earlier stupidity in this thread has been put to a stop. Strangest reason for a meltdown I've witnessed...

Anyway, it's almost been 7 months since I started dating my bf, I never thought it would last that long considering why I pursued that relationship at first. Never been happier though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom