• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

Cool but it dont bother me much. I liked achievements early on with 360 but its only so many times you could play a game and bother with achievements they all the same thing

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't care either way, but I find it weird they'd suddenly start caring now and not around the release of the Wii U.
It was right around the WiiU that stuff like accomplishments was being thrown around by nintendo at the time

jts

...hate me...
Would be cool. I stopped playing for achievements/trophies years ago save for very few exceptions.

But I like using trophies to see what games my friends played and how deep into it they were/are or what they did.

Also would be a good checkbox feature for Nintendo. People clearly like them.

sibarraz

Banned
If they add them, I hope that they include them for the first wave games

I hated how the ps3 has lots of games from 2006-2007 without them

spons

Gold Member
I quite like achievements. I had the feeling I was forced to get them for some insipid reason for a long, long time but I feel I have left that behind. They're extras to get more out of the game when reasonably implemented. Trophies are stupid though, especially if you are 2 or 3 trophies away from a plat you'll never get because they're co-op/online.

Harlock

images

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I find achievements sometimes intrusive to my experience of the game like meet arbitrary goal said number of times to get something.

I am all for unlocks and bonus rewards (like in the old days where you would get extra characters etc)but just a simple trophy hmm not sure I dunno.

Sometimes it feels like it is artificially lengthening and padding out a game if it's just for achievement hunting's sake. Just to get a pop up going achievement unlocked . Find it distracting. I dunno maybe I'm just old and out of touch lol.

If you consider doing something in a video game an achievement, then perhaps re-evaluate your life and everything in it.
Some of you really need to get a grip, seriously dude. Nothing wrong with people liking achievements. I like getting them, do I need to divorce my life. Quit my senior level job?

Some of you really need to get a grip, seriously dude. Nothing wrong with people liking achievements. I like getting them, do I need to divorce my life. Quit my senior level job?
It's just the typical "Nintendo isn't doing it so it's probably unhealthy or unnecessary anyway" crowd. It's pure rationalization to excuse a lack of features. Ignore it.

lucius

Finally, now start releasing some Wii and GameCube Classics on Eshop, then Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube then everything is golden.

LAA

Yes! Really hope so. Though with Nintendos...weird back steps for most of its online stuff, I'm preparing myself for something bizarre and stupid to come out of their efforts, hoping it'll be great though.

Sarobi

Banned
If you consider doing something in a video game an achievement, then perhaps re-evaluate your life and everything in it.

Breaking: Person who plays video games and spends time on video game forums tells people they should "re-evaluate their lives and everything in it!.." more at 11

Cartho

I love how people are getting all angry at achievements, claiming they don't want that "intrusive, immersion breaking shit" in their games (actual quotes from this very thread), yet achievement notifications / popups can be disabled on PS4, Xbox One, Steam and GoG.

Basically pretty much every single system which has system wide achievements has a way to disable the popups. If you do this, you would never know they were there unless you went into the achievements menu.

What this leads me to deduce is that people aren't worried about achievements breaking their immersion, as we already know how to stop that. It's more that people have decided, on principle or for some other arbitrary reason, that they don't like achievements. They have decided this and believe it so fervently that other people shouldn't get them either, in true GAF / internet forum tradition of being completely over the top about small things.

An achievement system on Switch wouldn't be anything other than positive. If you're the sort of person who doesn't like them because the popups break your immersion then that's fine - I totally get that. Just disable the popups and look at them through the menu. Or don't. Just disable the popups and pretend they don't exist. However if you're the sort of person who finds achievements give you added incentive to replay the game / play it in a different way / explore the world more fully etc then you can enjoy that.

Hey, everyone is satisfied! The only conceivable way this would annoy someone is if Nintendo do something utterly moronic like making it impossible to disable the notifications. However, there's absolutely no sense in worrying about that because a) we should probably assume there will be a way of disabling them if EVERY OTHER SIMILAR SYSTEM is to go by, and if they don't at launch it's an easy firmware fix.

nampad

I love how people are getting all angry at achievements, claiming they don't want that "intrusive, immersion breaking shit" in their games (actual quotes from this very thread), yet achievement notifications / popups can be disabled on PS4, Xbox One, Steam and GoG.

Basically pretty much every single system which has system wide achievements has a way to disable the popups. If you do this, you would never know they were there unless you went into the achievements menu.

What this leads me to deduce is that people aren't worried about achievements breaking their immersion, as we already know how to stop that. It's more that people have decided, on principle or for some other arbitrary reason, that they don't like achievements. They have decided this and believe it so fervently that other people shouldn't get them either, in true GAF / internet forum tradition of being completely over the top about small things.

An achievement system on Switch wouldn't be anything other than positive. If you're the sort of person who doesn't like them because the popups break your immersion then that's fine - I totally get that. Just disable the popups and look at them through the menu. Or don't. Just disable the popups and pretend they don't exist. However if you're the sort of person who finds achievements give you added incentive to replay the game / play it in a different way / explore the world more fully etc then you can enjoy that.

Hey, everyone is satisfied! The only conceivable way this would annoy someone is if Nintendo do something utterly moronic like making it impossible to disable the notifications. However, there's absolutely no sense in worrying about that because a) we should probably assume there will be a way of disabling them if EVERY OTHER SIMILAR SYSTEM is to go by, and if they don't at launch it's an easy firmware fix.

To be fair, literally everyone figured out how to do voice chat and Nintendo invented a worse way to do it.

Cartho

To be fair, literally everyone figured out how to do voice chat and Nintendo invented a worse way to do it.

This is very true and is the main reason for concern. I like achievements and would love them on Switch, I just hope that Nintendo doesn't go full Nintendo on them. I.e release something massively worse than what every other system does because "we feel this experience best suits our customers". Or has it so that achievements only work certain days of the week because they're like high end chefs and that's the way they feel you should interact with them or some other bullshit.

Bless 'em, they're sublime game designers but my god if they aren't the most stubborn, pig headed, stuck in their ways company. They could do with hiring some western personnel to help out with stuff like online infrastructure actually. Kind of like how Sony got Mark Cerny to design the PS4. They need people who actually understand what gamers outside of Japan want, because outside of Japan is a vastly bigger market than Japan.

giphy.gif

Can they add online messaging to friends, Miiverse, and fix that shitty chat online system first? Achievements is way below my totem pole of priorities

Fanuilos

You're ignoring how achievements in multiplayer games can turn into a shitty situation. I don't particularly want to be in a Splatoon 2 match where someone is achievement hunting. There's also clearly an audience that doesn't want to be in an ecosystem with achievements. The folks that want achievements have every other platform to choose from. The people who don't want achievements have Nintendo or have to deal with it on other platforms. So no, it would not satisfy everyone.

daxgame

Personally, I don't want achievements because it will force Nintendo\3rd parties making Switch games to waste time\resources with them. I also think that achievements have, for the most part, a negative influence on game design (NO, this doesn't mean that games have become crap.)
See this good article that was posted a while ago, for example, but there are a lot more around the internet.

It's as simple as that, there is no need to assume that people who don't like them are "just dumb".
So for the same reason, I'd be disappointed if Nintendo is wasting time and resources for a "centralized" achievement system.

D.Lo

Personally, I don't want achievements because it will force Nintendo\3rd parties making Switch games to waste time\resources with them. I also think that achievements have, for the most part, a negative influence on game design (NO, this doesn't mean that games have become crap.)
See this good article that was posted a while ago, for example, but there are a lot more around the internet.

It's as simple as that, there is no need to assume that people who don't like them are "just dumb".
So for the same reason, I'd be disappointed if Nintendo is wasting time and resources for a "centralized" achievement system.
Yep exactly. It discourages games having their own custom reward systems if they also have to tie into a central one.

Most Nintendo games already have 'achievements' - just not in a central system. Various endings depending on item collection, unlockables for collecting in game coins, rewards and statuses for 100% with a single weapon etc. Right now the developer can create their own completely flexible appropriate system. A central system would either have to be on top of this aka a waste, or instead of it, aka shoehorned instead of custom.

What negative influence on game design? I genuinely dunno what you're arguing here.

D.Lo

What negative influence on game design? I genuinely dunno what you're arguing here.
Uh, maybe read the article/thread he linked in the very next sentence. You know, the one just before you cut off the quote. It breaks down in detail why achievements have a clear negative influence on game design.

I'm impartial to achievements as a concept, but this is my problem with people who use that argument, it's treating achievements as a crutch for a game's replayability. The incentive for (re)playing should be from within the game itself, otherwise there's no point. The other issue with achievements is the inconsistent quality: some can actually be very interesting, but more often than not, it's something stupid like trophy for going through chapters/cities/doing mundane tasks.

AgeEighty

Really hope so; I love having a centralized system in place that I can go back and see all I've accomplished in the games I've played. I couldn't care less about bragging rights, I just like looking at them myself.

VariantX

You're ignoring how achievements in multiplayer games can turn into a shitty situation. I don't particularly want to be in a Splatoon 2 match where someone is achievement hunting. There's also clearly an audience that doesn't want to be in an ecosystem with achievements. The folks that want achievements have every other platform to choose from. The people who don't want achievements have Nintendo or have to deal with it on other platforms. So no, it would not satisfy everyone.

That's literally up to the developer to not put stupid achievements in their games. There are achievements that can be designed to be gotten just by playing the game normally like getting 50 headshots or winning 50 matches or an idiot developer can design something like get 3 kills in a row with a knife while blinded by a flash bang.

D.Lo

I'm impartial to achievements as a concept, but this is my problem with people who use that argument, it's treating achievements as a crutch for replayability. The incentive for (re)playing should be from within the game itself, otherwise there's no point. The other issue with achievements is the inconsistent quality: some can actually be very interesting, but more often than not, it's something stupid like trophy for going through chapters/cities/doing mundane tasks.
I'd go so far as to say they are a negative influence on the industry as a whole.

Those who appreciate good game design see them as pointless at best, destructive at worst. If you need a checklist of random shit to feel like you got the most out of a game, then that game must have had a pretty shit core design to its internal reward system.

Cipherr

The folks saying they don't care gonna end up hooked.

You don't really believe that do you? You don't think that since the 2000s none of us have owned other consoles.... or even done some gaming on Steam for crying out loud? Or even played games like WoW or millions of others with achievements?

You know... some people just don't like the stuff you do. And its no super grand conspiracy, or a bunch of people waiting to be converted. Just raw difference of opinions.

I don't like them. I have explored, and wall hacked and searched for glitches and shortcuts and bugs in games for literal decades and never needed or wanted achievements in order to 'persuade' me to explore the games I buy. The only reason Im not more demonstrative about this garbage tier trend spreading in console gaming is because I have to admit it probably attracts more people at this point than it repels. Adding them is probably good for the growth of all 3 platforms, so they should probably all have them.

But if I had my way?

Shieeeeet.

lingpanda

Don't care for them personally, but I know people want them. It would also be nice for Nintendo to offer one more thing that adds value and enjoyment for others. Knowing Nintendo, they will add their own spin on the concept.

Shadio

If the achievement system is anything like PSN trophies or Xbox achievements, I'd be up for that. Maybe this'll even be what convinces me to get a Switch. There are a bunch of Nintendo games I wish I could've been able to earn trophies in.

Hopefully it doesn't resemble Steam's approach, though. Something about those achievements just feel much less meaningful than the others, to me.

Quonny

Yep exactly. It discourages games having their own custom reward systems if they also have to tie into a central one.

Most Nintendo games already have 'achievements' - just not in a central system. Various endings depending on item collection, unlockables for collecting in game coins, rewards and statuses for 100% with a single weapon etc. Right now the developer can create their own completely flexible appropriate system. A central system would either have to be on top of this aka a waste, or instead of it, aka shoehorned instead of custom.
There is literally nothing limiting developers from an achievement perspective. Achievements take no effort to implement if they developer doesn't care for them. They could just throw in 'beat each stage' as an achievement while having their own in game system.

Any developer saying they're limited by achievements is a shitty developer.

KtSlime

There is literally nothing limiting developers from an achievement perspective. Achievements take no effort to implement if they developer doesn't care for them. They could just throw in 'beat each stage' as an achievement while having their own in game system.

Any developer saying they're limited by achievements is a shitty developer.

Are you advocating they do the lamest thing possible when it comes to achievements just for the sake of saying they have achievements? Rewarding mundane things that are expected of the player is the absolute worst thing to do when it comes to achievements.

Top Bottom