• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

RockmanBN

Lotta buzzkills here.

V0eh6u7.jpg

Though why this over the many issues they have right now?

I don't really care, but I know there are a lot of people who do want it and Nintendo definitely needs to have it so I'm glad to hear they're working on it.

And to all the people who say they don't care (including myself) you may actually end up liking it. If Nintendo gives rewards for doing a certain amount of achievements would make it worthwhile.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I care.

Please don't. But if they'll do it then congratulations to those who wanted it. I hope you have fun with it.

DMONKUMA

Nice for people that want it but don't understand how adding achievements can ruin a game for some. If anything there will probably be an ignore/turn off function for it.

Brofield

I don't care about them much, but it's a nice little thing to toy with if you feel like replaying a game.

Retro-Achievements would be neat for VC as well.

NO.

See: PS2-to-PS4, and how often that's supported. If the VC continues that trickle bullshit, we'll be lucky to see GameCube support by Switch 2 mid-cycle.

Guaranteed it'll be the first thing I do is turn off the trophy notifications with the system update that introduces them. All they do is break immersion for me, and I have no desire to increase the replayability of a game when my backlog stretches as far back as N64.

The gears are already turning so it's not as though my lone voice could stop it, but the only good thing I see coming out of it is one less point for console warriors to make fun of Nintendo for.

Guys... I think that he is talking about something like the mynintendo rewards, which are the ones that you get with miitomo, FE Heroes or super Mario run

Never heard anyone being annoyed about the <user> online pop-ups; so haters can live with small achievement-popups also.

Plus, maybe the messages can be turned of.

Conclusion: more system parity and win-win for everybody!

Deft Beck

Cool.

Inevitably, what will happen is that people who claim not to like them now will praise Nintendo for having come up with the idea of achievements once the feature is available.

Ploid 3.0

People still make these posts like they're in a superior plane of existence?

I actually wondered if people are still into achievements and trophies. I haven't been following anything related and it felt like the hype of wanting the system was dying out even on last gen. The closest exposure to trophies and achievements I've experienced lately is steam, and I hardly notice it so it's easy for me to forget about them. The only game I played on my PS4 recently was Overwatch but not enough to get auto achievements (I also maybe have notifications off).

No superiority plane of existence, it was a question. I really think people may not be all that into them anymore. Gamer score, and trophy score.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is good, as many do value this in their gaming experience.

But do not be surprised if they do this in a "Nintendo" fashion.

I don't really care for achievements that much. If I really like game, they are a way to get more out of the game though, or make me play it in ways I didn't think of before. So I'm all for it.

Animal Crossing achievements will take years to get lol. "Collect all furniture".

RRockman

Banned
I will only care if nintendo can relate them into my nintendo coins. Then they will genuinely have something special the competition doesn't in the achivement space.

KrawlMan

I liked having one system with no achievements or trophies. Oh well.

I disliked having one system that didn't have them. :p

A welcome addition. Hope it focuses more on main game completion than pointlessly difficult tasks, but I'm guessing that'd be up to the devs

Nesther

That would explain why the Switch section in My Nintendo is still a work in progress. Would be cool if they'd integrate whatever they're working on there, into the Switch OS.

sphinx

the piano man
it'd be cool if they had some star system (your reward for achieving something would be a Mario-like Star) that would work as currency for a game like Nintendo Badge Arcade (which will disappear anyway with the 3DS, I suppose) and you could play to get badges.

EDIT: wow we read our minds

A Switch Badge Arcade where you can use Platinum coins to play the arcade to earn badges to decorate your home screen with.

That would explain why the Switch section in My Nintendo is still a work in progress. Would be cool if they'd integrate whatever they're working on there, into the Switch OS.

Achievements giving you MyNintendo Platinum coins would be a pretty cool way of implementing it. They need to better Platinum coin rewards though. Themes for your Switch you can get. A Switch Badge Arcade where you can use Platinum coins to play the arcade to earn badges to decorate your home screen with. I just want some customization options for the Switch really.

KrawlMan

Nah, I'm fine. Good for those that can't enjoy games without having some arbitrary badge of honour system to impress others with.

Great narrow minded view and patronizing post.

Some folks enjoy games as is, but just happen to also appreciate the system itself cataloguing their progress and achievements for their own sake, not for others.

Edit: I'm personally very interested in a consolidated system level view of my game progress and achievements. It's really an extension of "hours played" to me

sTiTcH AU

Honestly i hope this is true. I love achievements and trophies and I honestly believe they add more to the gaming experience. I have done so many extra things in so many games that i never would have attempted (or even known about in some cases) if they didnt exist.

They are a great tool to get people to experience more of a game and it works for me.

Cipherr

I don't care for achievements/trophies.

But others do, so add them.

This is where Im at. After all these years I just dont give a crap. At all.

But for the people it matters to, go ahead and add the annoying popups/sounds to break my fucking immersion I suppose.

Fake ass replay value...

oti

Banned
As long as they don't make it boring like it actually is on Xbox and Playstation, I'm totally down with this!

Make an application called the "Nintendo Museum" in which you would be able to display the trophies you would get by getting achievements.

Something like this :

super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-trophy-shop.jpg

That's what I want too.

flozuki

Nay for me since the game and its world should be what motivates me. But yay for the option since a lot of people still love their achievements.

Great narrow minded view and patronizing post.

Some folks enjoy games as is, but just happen to also appreciate the system itself cataloguing their progress and achievements for their own sake, not for others.

Edit: I'm personally very interested in a consolidated system level view of my game progress and achievements. It's really an extension of "hours played" to me

Oh don't get me wrong. Cataloguing ones investment in a hobby is a time honored tradition. Model builders keeping parts of old and possibly failed models around is basically the same as an achivement system.

The problem with gaming achievement systems is that they are at best inoffensively boring, or at worst altering game experience in a way that is counter productive to player experience.

The few outliers that actually make good and natural achievements are far and few between.

Personally I like the time and numbers played stats more to document my investment in a game. Achievements are mostly ill equipped to show any sort of engagement with a game, beyond the trivial check list you have to tick off.

If Nintendo is indeed working on an achievement system, I hope they evolve the currently employed system to include metrics that show engagement better, so we can avoid the worst excess achievements like the Seriously Achievements in Gears for example.

One possibility would be to create a sort of game report page. Time investment, frequency of play etc should be stats independently of achievements. The actual achievements should not be tied to these stats.

That way you could document both achievements and engagement, without having to design idiotic achievements just so people fill some ridiculous check box.

Sendou

Good stuff but I'll believe it when I see it. Also the exact implementation matters. For example will Nintendo's own games support achievements?

taizuke

Guess you're gonna have to get all those 900 Korok seeds again!

I'm all for it but it's going to be tough for people who played BOTW to hell and back having to do most of it again.

Top Bottom