• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII screenshots and extended Jump Festa trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
A lot of people love FFXII's battle system. I don't prefer it, but everything else he's done is so ace that I am willing to overlook it.

Yeah, it sounds like he did a lot of good shit.

I'm a bit kneejerk about anything related to FFXII so I jumped the gun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There is no link sadly. I screencaptured a shot from the Lightning x Caius CG video and edited the colors/highlights/contrast on photoshop. :/
Boooo :( Ok

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought FFXII's battle system was "ok". Could have been improved though.

But yeah, I kinda want an Ito directed game that doesn't have the Matsuno influence much. Sorry to say but I think Matsuno's vision for a mainline FF is kinda boring
*ducks*

Oh so that Ito did the other FF's battle systems too? Then what the hell was he smoking when he did FFXII?

XII is outstanding. I haven't seen a real time combat system (edit: that handles multiple party member AI) done better since then. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Dragon's dogma could really stand to learn several things from it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
12's combat is amazing, it just needs some improvements here and there. Personally 12 with all its flaws was the direction the series should've taken. FF13 feels like a massive step back.

Midou

I think he is just saying that FFXII had an awesome combat system while 3rd birthday and Crisis Core had fairly terrible ones.

And if he isn't saying that, than I am.

Loved the gambit system, even if it makes the game 'play itself' as some people argue, you don't need to use it. Quite a few games tried to use a similar system since then, like Dragon Age and Tales of Innocence, but neither did it that well. If HP < 20%, use high level cure spell, best method of AI control. Especially compared to FFXIII's pray your party isn't retarded.

Bladenic

I think he is just saying that FFXII had an awesome combat system while 3rd birthday and Crisis Core had fairly terrible ones.

I was, but I was unnecessarily rude about it.

3rd Birthday had more control issues than anything though. I thought it was decently fun. But not like FF12 obviously.

Put me in the ballpark of those that loved XII battle system. It wasn't perfect but I always thought it was the logical evolution of the ATB system.

It was okay.

Can;t say it made me anymore engaged than XIII's battle system did.

Well hunts got pretty tense...but c'mon...their hunts. They're the best part of the game.

LuuKyK

Sure, I agree. That's precisely why they did it, quick and easy money re-using resources. Sales were low for Final Fantasy, but overall acceptable (but not exceptional). Toriyama will market it as a success based on this and he has some grounds to do so. However in general, the damage done to the brand as a whole mitigates against this.

It's not the lack of talent in SE, it's really the lack of vision.

Sure but as I said before in this same thread (I think lol) I don't think this franchise damage really exists. When XV is announced and Square starts a new marketing process I think people won't be really like "oh, XIII sucked so I won't buy this" because it will be a different game, with different characters, a different story, etc... Its the exact thing that happened to Agnis Philosophy.

DJIzana

Play International Zodiac Job System, it's fantastic. Fixes most of the issues I had with vanilla XII's battle system and is one of the best games in the series, IMO.

What I wouldn't give to see this re-released on PSN or even an HD remake... (since they've been so heavily invested into remaking/porting their other games lately, why not this?)

Esura

Banned
XII is outstanding. I haven't seen a real time combat system (edit: that handles multiple party member AI) done better since then. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Dragon's dogma could really stand to learn several things from it.

Well, yeah Gambits are done pretty ace I think but everything else just bugs me. From the License Board, to having to go buy Licenses, to how slow everything feels, to the weaksauce summonings that you can't switch out between party members, and how much EXP is required to level up after the earlier levels.

EDIT: But I mostly say its the License Board that I despise with a passion. Like every single thing about it.

Probably just an experiment. He just needs to not do a FFXII again and I hope he thinks that too. :p

Only battle system that bugged me as much as FFXII was FFVIII.

What I wouldn't give to see this re-released on PSN or even an HD remake... (since they've been so heavily invested into remaking/porting their other games lately, why not this?)

Is that something you want?

That means you won't get it.

SE is not in that kind of business.

LuuKyK

Well, yeah Gambits are done pretty ace I think but everything else just bugs me. From the License Board, to having to go buy Licenses, to how slow everything feels, to the weaksauce summonings that you can't switch out between party members, and how much EXP is required to level up after the earlier levels.

EDIT: But I mostly say its the License Board that I despise with a passion. Like every single thing about it.

Boo you Esura! I loved the License Board. :(

Wut. The battle system was like the only good thing about T3B and the Crisis Core one isn't bad at all.

Esura

Banned
Sorry that was mean.

It's cool. We get passionate about our opinions and stuff.

Loved the gambit system, even if it makes the game 'play itself' as some people argue, you don't need to use it. Quite a few games tried to use a similar system since then, like Dragon Age and Tales of Innocence, but neither did it that well. If HP < 20%, use high level cure spell, best method of AI control. Especially compared to FFXIII's pray your party isn't retarded.

Gambit was the best thing about FFXII's battles. Sucks I had to buy most of them but it still ight.

I didn't like the roulette thing in Crisis Core and I didn't find the DNA thing in 3rd Birthday that interesting but they were still pretty enjoyable.

EDIT: I think with the DNA thing I didn't care for it because I didn't know what the hell I was doing on it. :D

Midou

Yeah, purchasing gambits is a bit odd.

Licence board is mostly fixed in the zodiac edition. There is barely any difference in text, they could translate any new content in like a week. Release FFXII zodiac edition on PSN as hd-make and I would buy it in a heart beat.

I liked the core concept of the board, but it was a bit too much freedom, and not enough ability to actually know where shit is on the board. Had it simply shown you what most of the squares were, and only hidden ones for rare or hidden weapons, it would have been for the best. Problem with the zodiac one, is that you can max out your licence board pretty fast.

Go_Ly_Dow

XIII-2 sellthrough is about 1.6 million, so LR will be down from that.

It has to be more than this?

Japan - 900-950k, before it dropped off the charts?

NA - 500k as last recorded by NPD?

Asia - I remember the 200k figure was mentioned in some interview

Europe - Seen no data, but if XIII is anything to go by then it should be similar to NA

I haven't seen any sales updates for the last few months and since NPD and MC don't track every retailer it should be higher then those figures anyway.

Goli

They are with the PSP control scheme. :p

Well, having a playing T3B on a Vita or hooking up a PS3 controller using CFW/Bluetooth greatly alleviates those issues. T3B had an excelent battle system in my opinion, which is why I'm thinking of buying Mindjack even if its scenario is by Toriyama.

Sure but as I said before in this same thread (I think lol) I don't think this franchise damage really exists. When XV is announced and Square starts a new marketing process I think people won't be really like "oh, XIII sucked so I won't buy this" because it will be a different game, with different characters, a different story, etc... Its the exact thing that happened to Agnis Philosophy.

It exists to an extent right now, I've seen plenty of people, even personal friends, go from fully invested in the series to no longer interested now or ever. I think it's nearly impossible to say that XIII hasn't damaged the brand somewhat.

Consumer confidence, especially with the mainstream, going into XV will be at an all time low. Many people won't bother keeping up with the pre-release hype or even give SE a second chance. Sad, but true.

That's not to say things can't be turned around though.

Same, but I caved in and imported it long ago. Totally recommend it, it's an amazing game that I now have insatiable urges to interrupt my regularly scheduled life to play again.

LuuKyK

I don't get the hate for unlocks tbh. I love them. I would play a game called Unlock: The Game. I love games that have shit loads of things to unlock, it gives you a sense of progress and rewards you for trying new/different things in the game, even if the rewards are dumb.

Esura

Banned
Boo you Esura! I loved the License Board. :(

For me it seemed like a cool concept but it was done very badly in the game.

Yeah, purchasing gambits is a bit odd.

Licence board is mostly fixed in the zodiac edition. There is barely any difference in text, they could translate any new content in like a week. Release FFXII zodiac edition on PSN as hd-make and I would buy it in a heart beat.

I liked the core concept of the board, but it was a bit too much freedom, and not enough ability to actually know where shit is on the board. Had it simply shown you what most of the squares were, and only hidden ones for rare or hidden weapons, it would have been for the best. Problem with the zodiac one, is that you can max out your licence board pretty fast.

And that was my primary issue with the License Board. Also hated that the License Board extended to equipment too. Having the equipment isn't enough, I have to have the License too and that sucks.

I usually prefer a more guided progression system like FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFX, X-2, XIII, XIII-2 and stuff.

Midou

Oh wow, looked up that Hiroyki Ito wiki-page. I had no idea he did so many things. I always imagined each of those systems were just thought up by whoever worked on the respective games. He should totally do FFXV.

Edit: also, leaving equipment out of the licence board would have probably been for the best. Maybe just throw a level-req on them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It has to be more than this?

Japan - 900-950k, before it dropped off the charts?

NA - 500k as last recorded by NPD?

Asia - I remember the 200k figure was mentioned in some interview

Europe - Seen no data, but if XIII is anything to go by then it should be similar to NA

I haven't seen any sales updates for the last few months and since NPD and MC don't track every retailer it should be higher then those figures anyway.

Japan - 820K
Asia - 200K
US - 500K
Europe - Unknown, but less than the US ~200K was an estimate I saw not too long ago.

So probably now at least around 1.7 - 1.8m... still way down from XIII and even X-2.

demidar

I don't get the hate for unlocks tbh. I love them. I would play a game called Unlock: The Game. I love games that have shit loads of things to unlock, it gives you a sense of progress and rewards you for trying new/different things in the game, even if the rewards are dumb.

People don't like it when you take away fundamental things and dangle it in front of their faces in exchange for some gil. At least that's how I felt, but I played the original XII not the Zodiac edition.

Bladenic

Japan - 820K
Asia - 200K
US - 500K
Europe - Unknown, but less than the US ~200K was an estimate I saw not too long ago.

So probably now at least around 1.7 - 1.8m... still way down from XIII and even X-2.

Didn't X-2 sell close to 5 million? Yeah XIII-2 ain't coming anywhere close to that.

zoukka

Many folks want to feel they earned the shit they get.

Silvawuff

I think it's interesting how polarizing FFXII's battle system was. I thought it was okay and worked well for the type of game it was. The story, however? Ugh.

What makes a "good" FF game? I think the answer will vary by person, and the players of the series from then and now will never be truly satisfied.

Until we get a FFVII remake.

Midou

"For me, the most important element of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore a vast world, visit various towns and dungeons, talk to numerous NPCs, customise the equipment and abilities of their character, collect a wide variety of items, battle many different types of monsters, and engage in optional side-quests and mini-games. The story and event scenes are also important, but they should be balanced with these aspects of RPG gameplay."
Hiroyuki Ito's philosophy on the game design of a RPG.

You can tell he didn't work on XIII.

Please make XV.

This is exactly what I want in a Final Fantasy, if I were to define what I loved about titles prior to this gen.

Go_Ly_Dow

Japan - 820K
Asia - 200K
US - 500K

Damn, that's so horrendous.

LR's budget must be so low.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn had no idea about those numbers, bomba total. I wonder what are their projections for LR, I hope they don't overship it too bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Damn had no idea about those numbers, bomba total. I wonder what are their projections for LR, I hope they don't overship it too bad.

Sell through in the US was only about 50% as of now... which is pretty bad and why the game went to $20 so quickly. As a result SE had to pay a ton back on retail price protection.

Go_Ly_Dow

The Asia figure doesn't include Japan. I remember them saying Asia sales for XIII-2 are some of the highest for FF title and it was a steadily growing market for them.

demidar

You can tell he didn't work on XIII.

Please make XV.

This is exactly what I want in a Final Fantasy, if I were to define what I loved about titles prior to this gen.

You can really tell he understands this stuff, and thinks about it constantly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sell through in the US was only about 50% as of now... which is pretty bad and why the game went to $20 so quickly. As a result SE had to pay a ton back on retail price protection.
Yeah, I hope they try to avoid it with LR. No problem with a game selling a certain number as long as it's expected, but when you ship so much more than it sells it becomes an issue.

The Asia figure doesn't include Japan. I remember them saying Asia sales for XIII-2 are some of the highest for FF title and it was a steadily growing market for them.
You caught me before my stealth edit haha, I was horrified until I noticed it didn't include Japan. Still, it's lower than I expected overall including the other regions.

Goli

Wait
Wikipedia said:
After asking a series of questions about Guardian Cross, the interviewer then asked questions related to the Final Fantasy series. He asked Hiroyuki Ito why he has not worked on any Final Fantasy games since the release of Final Fantasy XII. Hiroyuki Ito replied that he's been busy leading development of an unannounced, large-scale project since 2008.[47] The interviewer then asked if this unannounced game was a Final Fantasy game. Hiroyuki Ito laughed and replied, "You'll find out when the game is announced."[47] The interview concluded by the interviewer asking what's next for the Guardian Cross series. Hiroyuki Ito replied that it has been really successful in some countries and a disappointment in others. He hopes that word of mouth of the game continues to spread and it keeps gaining in popularity.[47]
What.
Well... at least we know he isn't serving coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom