• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII screenshots and extended Jump Festa trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually I'm going to use this one anyway. Unless the one you come up with next is much better =P

Its her shoulder pad that I turned into glowy green instead of the original yellow one. I don't normally use images without some alterations because they are not unique, but I will try and do some for you, and I can't guarantee a 100 x 120 because sometimes the original image won't fit these dimensions without being distorted to hell. Will post the new one as soon as I can though. :)

Yeah, I actually like the unique look of altered images. This one does look like someone poured a bucket of glowy blue sludge all over Lightning, though...

idk, it's growing on me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had to do the math reading this and remember if it was 10 years or not since 10-2.. did you take a break between high school and college? Or you're in a longer than 4 years program? Actually it was closer to 8 eh..wow only 8 years. So if you were a freshman you could be a senior now eh. Neat.
I'm in grad school now. I did take 5 years for my undergraduate because (very briefly) I switched my second major a lot. I would've been... 15 when 10-2 came out? Sounds about right. I'm 24 now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm in grad school now. I did take 5 years for my undergraduate because (very briefly) I switched my second major a lot. I would've been... 15 when 10-2 came out? Sounds about right. I'm 24 now.

Either way makin me feel old. =(

But I got 2 Trap drops in 10 mins..so there's still good in my life.

LuuKyK

actually I'm going to use this one anyway. Unless the one you come up with next is much better =P

Yeah, I actually like the unique look of altered images. This one does look like someone poured a bucket of glowy blue sludge all over Lightning, though...

idk, it's growing on me.

Well, here it is. You choose!

EcZhi.png

This new one is better imo :p And I will use it if you don't! lol

Famassu

Nier is one of my favorite game this gen, but let's be honest, it felt like the game was sent out to die. I don't need FFXIII-level graphics, in fact, it seems having them is a bad thing. At the same time, Nier is terribly unpolished. There is a happy middle-ground they could have entered, and then less people would have dropped the game quickly and seen what an awesome plot and music it has.
Eh? NieR isn't "terribly unpolished". The game is decently polished (I mean, I've never encountered a bug or a glitch or horrible slowdown or other graphical problems and the controls always work as you want them to work). It's a bit rough to look at as it doesn't have FFXIII level production values, but that doesn't make it terribly unpolished. If anything, it IS an example of a middle-ground game. Nippon Ichi's games are examples of super-low budget stuff (apart from (finally) having HD sprites, they look like they could be PS1 games), Nier is in the middle (it's not the ugliest game around as, say, the boss battles can be quite epic and bigger scale than almost anything on PS2) and FFXIII is in the other end of the spectrum as an example of a high budget "AAA" game.

I mean, even if they actually made it a PS2 game, then upscaled it, the same way as the ICO collection or Zone of the Enders. That would have been great. In fact, I wish the smaller devs who could not afford to make RPGs this gen on consoles just did that from the get go. I would not mind a new Suikoden or Wild Arms game made on PS2 then just released as an upscale for say $30-40. It would be much cheaper for them and HD-ified PS2 games look pretty damn nice and polished.
Yeah, because the gaming market takes so well to buying dated looking games (I mean, there are people who count pixels, for god's sake). HD Collections work because they aren't developing new content, so you only have to have a small team to port the game to HD consoles, so even small-ish sales are probably profitable. But as soon as you need to actually create new content, PS2 level JRPGs aren't cheap. The market for those kinds of games isn't big, so it's still a gamble.

Noi

Huh. I somehow had the impression that you were much older than me. Only by a year!

Ezi0

I am so hyped for this. I loved XIII and XIII-2. Me and my friend took a week off uni when XIII came out. Was worth it :).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Either way makin me feel old. =(

But I got 2 Trap drops in 10 mins..so there's still good in my life.
If it helps, a lot of people on GAF make me feel old. All of the series anniversaries in the past two years didn't help either. :/

What. I wanted 2 Traps in 10 minutes. I never got that luck. I always had to go after the Guis for money. That game needed an RNG type of system or something.

Noi said:
Huh. I somehow had the impression that you were much older than me. Only by a year!
I've gotten that a few times and I have to wonder why. Haha.

Schala is like the RPG mother of us all. :p

I'm not much younger myself lol
Aeana knows way more than I do. >.>

I just learned a lot because my cousins are all older than I am so I played what they played or watched what they played.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If it helps, a lot of people on GAF make me feel old. All of the series anniversaries in the past two years didn't help either. :/

What. I wanted 2 Traps in 10 minutes. I never got that luck. I always had to go after the Guis for money. That game needed an RNG type of system or something.

They're only my second and third..since release. Got one back then and quit the run for the plat due to life. I go back every couple months and kill some turtles, but just got #2 and #3 from booting it up out of excitement for ordering 13-2. And this game/thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am so hyped for this. I loved XIII and XIII-2. Me and my friend took a week off uni when XIII came out. Was worth it :).
Yeah. This wait is killing me :(

I had problems with XIII, but significantly less with XIII-2 and actually found the story somewhat interesting. If it weren't for XIII-2, I would care about LR far less than I do. I do feel like I'm in a minority by liking XIII-2 as much as I do, but I was really, really surprised by it.

demidar

I had problems with XIII, but significantly less with XIII-2 and actually found the story somewhat interesting. If it weren't for XIII-2, I would care about LR far less than I do. I do feel like I'm in a minority by liking XIII-2 as much as I do, but I was really, really surprised by it.

Time travel stories are great, especially when they crash and burn :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So when is the FF going to arrive where the main character is a full on mage and is shown to be a total wimp when it comes to physical weapons.

I kinda liked where AP was going with that.

Mechanically, 13-2 is so much better than 13. I didn't find the characters or villains all that interesting though. It's still probably my game of the year, or at least in the top 3.

I'm an expert

So when is the FF going to arrive where the main character is a full on mage and is shown to be a total wimp when it comes to physical weapons.

Vivi? He's the main character, right? =P

You could level Noel up to have more magic than strength and Serah could have more strength than magic.

EDIT: I forgot, Serah is the main character of 13-2 and she's a total weakling! I just switched to Noel as soon as possible and ignored Serah.

demidar

Not the same.

I'd like a full on mage main character.

Giving me the stats argument is rather dull and pointless.

I don't think you'll get one, Square Enix has a fascination with protagonists wielding swords (or other edged weaponry).

Cecil: Wields swords.
Butz: ehh, can wield anything I guess.
Terra: Is she the protagonist? She's a spellcaster with a melee weapon as backup.
Cloud: Wields massive swords.
Squall: Wields gunblade.
Zidane: Wields daggers or a twin-bladed sword.
Tidus: Wields swords.
Bonus, Yuna: Bit iffy since it's a class based games but I'm gonna say guns.
Vaan?: Wields anything. Basch?: Canonically wields a sword?
Lightning: Wields a sword that can shoot.
Serah: Wields a bowsword.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You missed my edit. Serah is the main character and she's pretty damn helpless except for badass magic.
Her animations for her sword and bow strikes show that she's rather (inexplicably) competent with both weapons (despite apparently having little combat experience). At least her being adept at magic makes sense since they said that ever since she got uncrystallized, she was able to use magic (along with a few other Cocoon inhabitants who descended to Pulse).

And the glaring lack of high tier spells.
To be fair, every class's skillset got gimped in that game to my dismay.

They're only my second and third..since release. Got one back then and quit the run for the plat due to life. I go back every couple months and kill some turtles, but just got #2 and #3 from booting it up out of excitement for ordering 13-2. And this game/thread.
You can do it. It just... takes long. Listen to podcasts because you'll get sick of the battle theme like I did.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't think you'll get one, Square Enix has a fascination with protagonists wielding swords (or other edged weaponry).

Cecil: Wields swords.
Butz: ehh, can wield anything I guess.
Terra: Is she the protagonist? She's a spellcaster with a melee weapon as backup.
Cloud: Wields massive swords.
Squall: Wields gunblade.
Zidane: Wields daggers or a twin-bladed sword.
Tidus: Wields swords.
Vaan?: Wields anything. Basch?: Canonically wields a sword?
Lightning: Wields a sword that can shoot.
Serah: Wields a bowsword.

FF1:Choose a class
FF2:Be everything
FF3:Job System(Onion Knight/Warrior is initial)
FF4:preset classes(Dark Knight/Paladin for MC)
FF5: Freelancer to anything
FF6: Bonafide Red Mage+Esper
FF7:Warrior
FF8:Warrior
FF9:Warrior with Trance
FF10:Warrior
FF11:possible
FF12:License Boards, Vaan's Spinoff gives him the Godsblade
FF13:Bonafide Red Mage
FF13-2:Bonafide RedMage+Beastmaster
FFXIV:possible

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, what the hell happened to Synergists in 13-2? What a disaster. You need a monster to cast Bravery, Faith and all the En- skills, what the hell?

The spells Water, Haste, among others magically disappeared.

The Spells Death, Holy being relegated to Scene Drive attacks in the original were flawed decisions.

Of course Ultima, and other high tier spells being enemy only is regrettable.

demidar

The Spells Death, Holy being relegated to Scene Drive attacks in the original were flawed decisions.

Haste I can understand, it essentially doubles your actions which means good players will keep that on perpetually. Do they balance for players who can do that or those who can't?

I'm an expert

You can do it. It just... takes long. Listen to podcasts because you'll get sick of the battle theme like I did.

This is exactly what I've been doing for the last two years. I wasted all the GB goty podcasts on Magic 2013 though. Ugh. =(

Fuck, 13-2 has no haste? Haste is like my go-to spell in every one of these games. I'm prolly the only dude who rolled a time mage in 12 zodiac even though they suck except for haste.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

You have Ultima Arrow and Meteor...whatever that thing Noel does that made me break the damage limit in one battle which took me by surprise. I'm unsure as to why they removed Water, though; heck, they removed a lot of elemental attacks because reasons.

I don't like FF13's version of Holy. It takes a bit from FFX, but I don't like the overall animation for it. Death is kind of quick. Ultima... it sure is fun when those Guis use Ultima four times in a row, isn't it?! :D

Yeah, what the hell happened to Synergists in 13-2? What a disaster. You need a monster to cast Bravery, Faith and all the En- skills, what the hell?
It's a huge shame to me because I used Defender, Enhancer and Jammer more often than I did the other three classes in FF13. I love those classes, and if I had to give FF13 any credit in terms of how battles went, it's that it forced the player to buff/debuff and start tanking more. In other FFs, you could just press attack and get things done. Here, you have take it more strategically otherwise the Undying or Guis will cream you.

I wish the two playable characters had more access to offensive buffs. It's like you're playing as an unlevelled up Hope for the entire game.

Fuck, 13-2 has no haste? Haste is like my go-to spell in every one of these games. I'm prolly the only dude who rolled a time mage in 12 zodiac even though they suck except for haste.
Haste-at-will will break the game; it's easy enough already.

You'll get an auto-haste if you get a pre-emptive strike on enemies. Outside of that, you can't cast it yourself, which is kind of a good thing.

13-2 has Haste, but it's just the bonus for a pre-emptive strike; you can't cast it yourself. You can get it on like 99% of enemies though. I don't mind it being gone as a spell, it was broken anyways.

Toth

And to compound those changes, the abilities were so poorly spread out on the Crystariums that you maxed everything by lvl 50. Some of the higher damage ability and status effects should have been way higher. This would have made the game somewhat harder.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You have Ultima Arrow and Meteor...whatever that thing Noel does that made me break the damage limit in one battle which took me by surprise. I'm unsure as to why they removed Water, though; heck, they removed a lot of elemental attacks because reasons.

Not the same as the spell.

It's Meteor Javelin btw.

I much prefer a dome of doom and a summoning a giant rock thank you very much.

The lack of Flare was also disappointing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think they forgot what Flare was (but at least it's apparently in FF14?). I liked it better when it was called Nuke!

pOI4J.png
finalfantasyii0019hyog0.png

Shit, speaking of FF4, I miss glitches. A lot. Duplicating items, killing bosses because of overflow errors, things people aren't catching in QA? That stuff is fun as hell to exploit. On a Sonic front, I miss cheat codes.

DJIzana

This is exactly what I've been doing for the last two years. I wasted all the GB goty podcasts on Magic 2013 though. Ugh. =(

That's ultimately why I despise XIII & XIII-2. They have NO Final Fantasy feel WHAT SO EVER... in terms of actual combat. I miss traditional moves, limit breaks, the way summons used to function etc.

demidar

That's ultimately why I despise XIII & XIII-2. They have NO Final Fantasy feel WHAT SO EVER... in terms of actual combat. I miss traditional moves, limit breaks, the way summons used to function etc.

You know what I miss? Genji Glove + Offering. Maybe toss in an Atma Weapon.

FNC is really kind of it's own thing besides spell names and summons.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Type 0 may not have the spell haste but the character Eight does. And I love how fast he runs with it.

And Type 0 has Holy, Meteor, and Ultima as usable spells.

No Flare sadly.

But Type 0 makes up for a lot of stuff since everything still worked IMO.

Meteors coming out of sigils that form above you was a great touch when you consider how meteor's might breach an interior building.

I'm an expert

No..No..NO. 13 is oozing with FF. Easily the best combat system for me, well, tied with 12 at least. Summons haven't been good in a long time, that's not 13's issue alone. Probably last time I used them was 8 and boost mashing. 13-2 looks fanfuckintastic due to giving me an FF11 BST vibe.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No..No..NO. 13 is oozing with FF. Easily the best combat system for me, well, tied with 12 at least. Summons haven't been good in a long time, that's not 13's issue alone. Probably last time I used them was 8 and boost mashing. 13-2 looks fanfuckintastic due to giving me an FF11 BST vibe.

Just like it oozed with the traditional recurring themes right?

I'm an expert

Just like it oozed with the traditional recurring themes right?

I don't even know what that means lol. I'm fine with criticisms and people not liking 13 or whatever other number. But not feeling like an FF? While it's obviously subjective, I don't think I've had that issue with any of these games. Maybe 10-2, at least in the beginning. Either way, combat is something 13 does not lack in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Her animations for her sword and bow strikes show that she's rather (inexplicably) competent with both weapons (despite apparently having little combat experience). At least her being adept at magic makes sense since they said that ever since she got uncrystallized, she was able to use magic (along with a few other Cocoon inhabitants who descended to Pulse).
Haha yeah, Serah being badass with a bow and sword makes so little sense that I chalk it up to Mog being responsible for those abilities by granting her mahou shoujo mascot powers. Bonus that magic girl principles also fit some of her sister's new mad skillz.

tumblr_m2gu57QiYG1r7i57oo1_500.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Haha yeah, Serah being badass with a bow and arrow makes so little sense that I chalk it up to Mog being responsible for those abilities by granting her mahou shoujo mascot powers. Bonus that magic girl principles also fit some of her sister's new mad skillz.

tumblr_m2gu57QiYG1r7i57oo1_500.gif

Sailor Moon Lightning is here to punish you for your misdeeds.

As for the previous poster, I say it's the eye of the beholder but XIII and it's retconned sequel didn't feel much like FF to me. Felt like it was trying to be something and couldn't make up it's mind.

RPGCrazied

I thought XIII was decent, and very pretty. I hated and loathed the doom counter bosses used on you, even if you were winning, to bad you aren't going fast enough. Which shouldn't be in all boss fights. A couple I can understand, but its a cheap move.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I thought XIII was decent, and very pretty. I hated and loathed the doom counter bosses used on you, even if you were winning, to bad you aren't going fast enough. Which shouldn't be in all boss fights. A couple I can understand, but its a cheap move.

And they didn't have Ahriman spamming Doom and Haste on you like FF3 and FF9?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had no idea FF13's bosses could cast doom on you until my friends told me they were getting hit by doom. It's the game's way of telling you that you chose the wrong Optimae going into the fight. and that you're taking too long with it. I think it was the developers' way of showing mercy to the player.
KuGsj.gif

Actually, when you think about it in terms of game design, it's rather clever and cute. I like it.

I think they forgot what Flare was (but at least it's apparently in FF14?). I liked it better when it was called Nuke!

pOI4J.png
finalfantasyii0019hyog0.png

Shit, speaking of FF4, I miss glitches. A lot. Duplicating items, killing bosses because of overflow errors, things people aren't catching in QA? That stuff is fun as hell to exploit. On a Sonic front, I miss cheat codes.

Yes, Flare is in XIV, at least on 1.0, we don't know about ARR, but I don't see why shouldn't be....

I'm an expert

I had no idea FF13's bosses could cast doom on you until my friends told me they were getting hit by doom. It's the game's way of telling you that you chose the wrong Optimae going into the fight. and that you're taking too long with it. I think it was the developers' way of showing mercy to the player.
KuGsj.gif

Actually, when you think about it in terms of game design, it's rather clever and cute. I like it.

Not sure if they got it from there, but WoW raid bosses had the exact same design if the group took too long. Agreed, it's good design and letting the player know they're not playing right.

KuGsj.gif

i was aware of it but i have to admit i never saw it in action ..like ever ..
i'm either trashing my ennemies or getting trashed by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom