• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII screenshots and extended Jump Festa trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want a defeat a boss via Exit in an FF again.

Time to fight! But first, let's show the instant win button for this fight.

CAtXz.gif
Rudra no Hihou - Strange Encounters

Ways to Defeat the Stone Golem Part 1: Exit

W7e6y.png
MSGrN.png
mMVhy.png

If you do this you won't get the XP from the Golem, just bear that in mind.
And the Heal spell ended up being able to kill another boss in that dungeon. Doing it in Mystic Quest was hilarious because they probably didn't playtest any of the bosses in the Doom Castle for exploits. And I think it makes the game way more fun to speedrun and exploit as a result.

It's like entering Yuji Naka's birthday in Sonic 2's Sound Test menu and getting into stage select. Or the game's release date and getting into debug menus. Or entering the Super Sonic code where the last half of it is Yuji Naka's age at the time of development. Lots of thought goes into some of these codes. :(

worldrevolution said:
Not sure if they got it from there, but WoW raid bosses had the exact same design if the group took too long. Agreed, it's good design and letting the player know they're not playing right.
Well, it'd be nice if they did take it from there, because it's the type of design that feels like it's not completely in-your-face with it in terms of being a borrowed element, and it's a nice way to show a link between the game in a hereditary sense. I get a kick out of that "historical" stuff.

I liked the summons in 13. Randomly using Alexander was how I got the 99,999 damage achievement, plus those animations were goddamn amazing. I missed summons in 13-2.

Famassu

Ito did the battle system for 12?

Good lord I hope he doesn't touch another battle system in a future FF.
Die. Die in a fire. FFXII is the best thing to happen to FF. Too bad they didn't follow it with anything similar, as much as as I like FFXIII's battle system.

Besides, he did revise FFXII's gameplay for the Zodiac Job System version and made it even more awesome, put some additions in that they didn't have time to originally or were cut off.

Ito needs to direct FF15 and save the series. Since he's done the multiple of 3 games since 6, I'm hoping he once again delivers a truly amazing FF game to save the series from what it has become. Tabata would be alright, but then his track record is not exactly stellar.
Tabata has an absolutely stellar track record. Crisis Core was decent, 3rd Birthday was really fun (don't blame the Toriyama'd story on Tabata) and Type-0 is probably the best FF related release since FFXII.

Is it possible Square Enix is working on a project and didn't announce it 7+ years too early? Seems somewhat unlikely.
Since when have they done that after E3 2006? Nowadays they've usually not announced anything until a year before release, for some games the gap between announcement & release has been, like, 3-4 months.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, XII is fantastic and really the direction the series should have kept heading. In a lot of ways it was ahead of its time.

Pooya

next step after XII should have been a map instead of connected zones and then bringing back the vehicles to the series, I miss that so much /no brainer

Yeah, XII is fantastic and really the direction the series should have kept heading. In a lot of ways it was ahead of its time.

FFXII is the last time I had faith in the series, despite having some flaws. But its flaws have nothing-- nothing on the flaws that permeate this franchise now.

Famassu

FFXII is the last time I had faith in the series, despite having some flaws. But its flaws have nothing-- nothing on the flaws that permeate this franchise now.
That sounds kinda silly. "Last time you had faith in the series" is basically the previous mainline (non-MMO) release before the latest mainline release... As if they can't return to that kind of direction ever again, given how much changes are made between every FF nowadays. I mean, even every one of these XIII games have been completely different. Now imagine they give FFXV to Tabata or Ito. After they now know that linearity isn't something that the fanbase wants, they'll probably never try it with a Final Fantasy game again. All they need is a different writer for the story & a new setting.

next step after XII should have been a map instead of connected zones and then bringing back the vehicles to the series, I miss that so much /no brainer
Versus XIII should be like that, unless Nomura has spoken BS of what they've been planning, testing & including in the game.

Shinta

Banned

I just don't think the series should head in any direction. The whole point is to do something different every time. FFXII is still there for people who want to play it. We'll probably get an HD version eventually with the International edition content. I wouldn't care if they wanted to make a direct sequel sometime. They were already trying to with Fortress.

But other than that, that's all I want to see of XII, or any FF game. I want FFXV to be completely different from all the past ones.

Pooya

Versus XIII should be like that, unless Nomura has spoken BS of what they've been planning, testing & including in the game.

yeah I know, I just have to see it to believe it at this point :|
who knows what has happened to their initial plans for the game now.

Shinta

Banned
Revenant Wingssssssssssssss.....

Yeah, forgot that one. Good point.

I've had enough Ivalice personally. After all those games, the world just isn't all that interesting.

I hope they make FFTA3 in Vana'diel or something. Vana'diel, Eorzea, Spira, and FNC seem a lot more interesting in my opinion.

Shinta

Banned

That's the whole point of the series. Originality, creativity, innovation.

They have similar elements, but there's a reason why people say the only things in common are Cid, chocobos and Biggs and Wedge. That's part of why the series has been so popular for decades.

If they didn't try new things constantly, they would never have even made a battle system like FFXII in the first place. They would have just kept it like Dragon Quest.

That sounds kinda silly. "Last time you had faith in the series" is basically the previous mainline (non-MMO) release before the latest mainline release... As if they can't return to that kind of direction ever again, given how much changes are made between every FF nowadays. I mean, even every one of these XIII games have been completely different. Now imagine they give FFXV to Tabata or Ito. After they now know that linearity isn't something that the fanbase wants, they'll probably never try it with a Final Fantasy game again. All they need is a different writer for the story & a new setting.

I don't think it's too silly considering that XII came out six years ago. It hasn't been TOO long, but it's felt like an eternity. At any rate, just a personal opinion.

demidar

They have similar elements, but there's a reason why people say the only things in common are Cid, chocobos and Biggs and Wedge. That's part of why the series has been so popular for decades.

If they didn't try new things constantly, they would never have even made a battle system like FFXII in the first place. They would have just kept it like Dragon Quest.

Changing something for the sake of change isn't necessarily good.

spirity

Well, I know they've always done it. But that doesn't mean they always have to do it. Sometimes, good stuff they've done is worth revisiting. Stuff that was popular with the fans. Settings, mechanics, characters etc. Just ignoring stuff thats worked in the past, simply because they've always did it that way, seems like a bad choice sometimes.

demidar

It's worked for 25 years so far.

Yeah, and that's a goddamn miracle. But now we've reached a point where developing games is super expensive. Flubbing an entry has far more impact on the coffers nowadays than in the yesteryears. Those mindblowing graphics don't pay for themselves you know, why do you think they're being reused? Maybe SE will be fine due to their mobage division? Who knows.

Shinta

Banned
Doesn't mean it can't be better.

Better than what? You guys are arguing for them doing the same thing. I'm confused. Trying new things is how you get better. Change is always a gamble. Sometimes it works better than other times. But that's part of why everyone is still going to be excited for FFXV's reveal.

Because no one knows what to expect, and it's not going to be anything like the past ones.

If they didn't change things drastically the series would never have even tried a modern setting like FFVII, and would have just stuck with medieval fantasy always. If they didn't change things drastically, you guys never would have gotten anything like FFXII.

They tried a bit of a retro one with FFIX, and they may go back for something like that again at some point, but the series is going to stick to its ideal of always striving for something new. If you guys aren't into that, you're really into the wrong series.

And I expect we'll see more direct sequels now, for all FF games. They're just too expensive to make now in HD. You need to be able to make them into at least two, or three games to compete with every other developer out there now who does the same thing. So they will revisit things people like, I'm sure.

But mainline entries will always be radically different, and that's how it should be.

Yeah, and that's a goddamn miracle. But now we've reached a point where developing games is super expensive. Flubbing an entry has far more impact on the coffers nowadays than in the yesteryears. Those mindblowing graphics don't pay for themselves you know, why do you think they're being reused? Maybe SE will be fine due to their mobage division? Who knows.

I said I'm fine with direct sequels. That should be obvious since I'm one of the only ones who's excited for Lightning Returns. I wouldn't care if they made Fortress. I didn't care about After Years, or Revenant Wings. I think it's a great idea to make direct sequels, because the worlds are usually so awesome that they could easily be used for more than one game.

But FFXV isn't a direct sequel, and the idea that the series is going to generally head in any direction is kind of missing the point of the whole series.

Toth

Doesn't mean it can't be better.

Change is one of the reasons FF has been a popular franchise. DQ is really the only RPG franchise that gets away with rarely changing the established formula. People seem to forget nowadays but when 12 came out, it had a similar polarizing element that 13 now has (i.e weaker story, Star Wars ripoff?, game plays itself, etc.). 13's linearity I think just rubbed people the wrong way more. I remember plenty hard core RPGers being turned off by 12 and it was a shame because despite it's flaws, it is one of most deep RPGs out there. God forbid you say on GAF that you enjoyed FF13 more though...

spirity

Better than what? You guys are arguing for them doing the same thing. I'm confused. Trying new things is how you get better. Change is always a gamble. Sometimes it works better than other times. But that's part of why everyone is still going to be excited for FFXV's reveal.

I'm not saying stay the same and stagnate, I'm saying its ok to revisit a story, mechanic, character or whatever occasionally. You do not need to be completely different every time, and you do not need to be completely the same every time. There is a middle ground, I'm not talking about extremes.

Esura

Banned
I'm in grad school now. I did take 5 years for my undergraduate because (very briefly) I switched my second major a lot. I would've been... 15 when 10-2 came out? Sounds about right. I'm 24 now.

That's it? With all your RPG knowledge I figured you was much older than that. Only a few years older than me. :p

Ninjimbo

I like XII a lot, but I don't see how it was ahead of its time in any way. It's big thing was that you could micro-manage the A.I. and that never really caught on. Besides I prefer FFXIII's approach. I don't really want to tell the A.I. to cast fire on ice monsters. That should be obvious.

demidar

I like XII a lot, but I don't see how it was ahead of its time in any way. It's big thing was that you could micro-manage the A.I. and that never really caught on. Besides I prefer FFXIII's approach. I don't really want to tell the A.I. to cast fire on ice monsters. That should be obvious.

In exchange for automated party members, the diversity of strategies lessens. There are some things that can only be done when you control all the party members (though that's not quite feasible with FFXIII's combat system). And to make the CPU controlled party members not a liability the depth of encounters has to also be lessened in case the CPU dicks you over. That leaves a game where controlling one character can be a bit monotonous (but it's fine because the game was built around that).

RPGCrazied

XII characters were better than XIII. The story too. The only thing better in XIII to me is the graphics. X and XII are my favorite Final Fantasies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

seamless battles, big expansive areas to explore, it's linear but it lets you stray off the main story to do other stuff etc...

that's just on top of my head. too bad SE never released the Zodiac version, the improvements made to the original in the Zodiac version would've probably pushed FFXII to my favorite in the series as it pretty much fixes all my big complaints about the original.

Shinta

Banned
I'm not saying stay the same and stagnate, I'm saying its ok to revisit a story, mechanic, character or whatever occasionally. You do not need to be completely different every time, and you do not need to be completely the same every time. There is a middle ground, I'm not talking about extremes.

They already do a lot of the time though. XII is basically just taking all the advancements of FFXI and trying to make it work as a single player game. And the world was reused from FFT and Vagrant Story.

XIII was basically just taking XII and trying to add more of a sense of action and player interaction than the gambit system which literally could play itself. The paradigms all have gambits automatically in there, and they got more efficient if you used libra.

They try to do something different every time, but sometimes you can still see the transition from game to game, and it's more incremental improvements than wholesale reinvention.

XIV's battle system isn't that radically different from XI's, or XII's.

I'd rather see them try something really new again. We've been playing the same kind of thing since XI. It's basic MMO party mechanics with tanks, healers, buffers, debuffers, and damage dealers. Just various methods for tweaking it so it feels a little different.

It's time to get past Everquest. I want the next big reinvention, and I think they'll try their hand at action RPGs next.

Kitase said:
"I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time," Kitase said. "In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action-RPG.

"That's a trend, and you ignore things like that at your peril."

demidar

They already do a lot of the time though. XII is basically just taking all the advancements of FFXI and trying to make it work as a single player game. And the world was reused from FFT and Vagrant Story.

XIII was basically just taking XII and trying to add more of a sense of action and player interaction than the gambit system which literally could play itself. The paradigms all have gambits automatically in there, and they got more efficient if you used libra.

They try to do something different every time, but sometimes you can still see the transition from game to game, and it's more incremental improvements than wholesale reinvention.

XIV's battle system isn't that radically different from XI's, or XII's.

I'd rather see them try something really new again. We've been playing the same kind of thing since XI. It's basic MMO party mechanics with tanks, healers, buffers, debuffers, and damage dealers. Just various methods for tweaking it so it feels a little different.

It's time to get past Everquest. I want the next big reinvention, and I think they'll try their hand at action RPGs next.

You want FFXIV to go the route of something like Tera?

Also turn-based isn't totally dead, XCOM proves that and I'm gonna be day one'ing Persona 5 special edition which will definitely be turned based. But action RPG is good too, though I'd rather get that from the Tales series at this point.

Shinta

Banned
You want FFXIV to go the route of something like Tera?

Also turn-based isn't totally dead, XCOM proves that and I'm gonna be day one'ing Persona 5 special addition which will definitely be turned based. But action RPG is good too, though I'd rather get that from the Tales series at this point.

nah, XIV ARR is done. We know mostly how it's going to play. For those that are really into FFXII, you might give ARR a real chance as I'm sure they're going to support the game for years. It even has the same art designer.

I just think it would be neat to see XV try something really different for the series. They can't ignore action RPGs, and how successful they are now.

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Elder Scrolls
The Witcher

and on. I'm sure they view these as their main competitors. Type-0 was an action RPG, and Versus is going to be an action RPG. So who knows, maybe they'll make Versus into XV after all and change some of the story references so it's not FNC. Or maybe XV will be totally different. Agni's Philosophy looked a bit like an action game too.

And they will still try and go back to older battle systems, I just doubt it'll be mainline FF games. Bravely Default and 4 Warriors of Light are trying to cater to people who like the SNES games still.

Ninjimbo

seamless battles, big expansive areas to explore, it's linear but it lets you stray off the main story to do other stuff etc...
I feel those things were around before FFXII. Seamless battles were in Chrono Trigger. Expansive areas in an RPG were being done MMOs. Breaking from the main story to do side quests has been in JRPGs forever so I don't know why you mention that.

FFXII is a great game. I enjoyed it a lot but I don't see anything it has that you could point out and say it was ahead of its time. For that to be the case, I feel there has to be copycats and only Xenoblade seems like one. And maybe Dragon Age Origins.

demidar

nah, XIV ARR is done. We know mostly how it's going to play. For those that are really into FFXII, you might give ARR a real chance as I'm sure they're going to support the game for years. It even has the same art designer.

I just think it would be neat to see XV try something really different for the series. They can't ignore action RPGs, and how successful they are now.

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Elder Scrolls
The Witcher

and on. I'm sure they view these as their main competitors. Type-0 was an action RPG, and Versus is going to be an action RPG. So who knows, maybe they'll make Versus into XV after all and change some of the story references so it's not FNC. Or maybe XV will be totally different. Agni's Philosophy looked a bit like an action game too.

And they will still try and go back to older battle systems, I just doubt it'll be mainline FF games. Bravely Default and 4 Warriors of Light are trying to cater to people who like the SNES games still.

The only mainline game I'm looking forward to from the SE catalog is Versus XIII. After that I'm pretty much fine if the mainline FF goes down in flames (not that it would be a good thing, I would just be fine with it). It seems like the smaller games are the true gems of Square Enix, the stuff they produce for handhelds or downloadable exclusives. I do not have faith that SE can compete with the other series' if they keep putting Toriyama as the head, but I would gladly be proven wrong.

Shinta

Banned
I do not have faith that SE can compete with the other series' if they keep putting Toriyama as the head, but I would gladly be proven wrong.
They switch teams every time. He's not going to have anything to do with FFXV, and he didn't have anything to do with XIV either.

It's worked for 25 years so far.

That's a ridiculous assertion. The battle system from four through nine was pretty much the same thing with minor variations and upgrades to each installment, nowhere near the amount of change between X to XI (or XII) or XII to XIII. The assertion that Final Fantasy needs to reinvent its gameplay system wheel every single time is a modern contrivance of the series.

EDIT: I personally have absolutely no desire to see the main numbered series become an action RPG. Versus is fine as a side project, but I do not want that to be XV.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The Asia figure doesn't include Japan. I remember them saying Asia sales for XIII-2 are some of the highest for FF title and it was a steadily growing market for them.

I believe the Asia figure is for FFXIII+FFXIII-2.
They also released several versions (Japanese release, English release, English+Japanese+Chinese release) of the game so there would have been people who bought more than 1 version.

It probably sold much more in the Asian market because console piracy is down from the PS2 period. They didn't even bothered having English releases during those days, where the default region for Asia is the Japanese one so most of the time to play games in English it was down to importing or paying marked up shop prices. This coupled with Chinese releases can only mean the market will grow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Not just the battle system, but the entire worldview... the grand scale of locations, the copious amount of things to do... I think someone mentioned this before but FFXIII would have worked better as a PS2 game, while XII's concept should have been saved for PS3.

Luckily Versus XIII seems to be the next step, furthering the challenges that XII tackled... that is, if we ever get to see it any time soon, and Nomura wasn't lying for the past seven years.

demidar

Not just the battle system, but the entire worldview... the grand scale of locations, the copious amount of things to do... I think someone mentioned this before but FFXIII would have worked better as a PS2 game, while XII's concept should have been saved for PS3.

Luckily Versus XIII seems to be the next step, furthering the challenges that XII tackled... that is, if we ever get to see it any time soon, and Nomura wasn't lying for the past seven years.

They probably couldn't do FFXII on the PS3. Remember, they said HD towns were hard.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't think they expected a 75% drop in terms of going from the number of people who played XIII to XIII-2.

Probably they did expect to sell more of those, but to speak frankly, if they weren't satisfied... be sure that LR wasn't going to be their biggest japanese release of 2013. Probably didn't even exist or would have been a 3DS-only release. Lightning Returns exists because XIII-2 has probably been profitable. Especially if you consider the DLCs that every single time have been topping the DLC-PSN list in every region once released. Lightning Returns at least judging from what we saw is surely a bigger product than XIII-2 (that was a very small game dev-wise) so I guess they expect to sell at least the same amount of copies that one did, with a short-dev-time and improved dev-cycle and costs... it should not doing bad at all.

Now, the real problem here are just ARR and Versus: will the two manage to be profitable titles?

Exentryk

Probably they did expect to sell more of those, but to speak frankly, if they weren't satisfied... be sure that LR wasn't going to be their biggest japanese release of 2013. Probably didn't even exist or would have been a 3DS-only release. Lightning Returns exists because XIII-2 has probably been profitable. Especially if you consider the DLCs that every single time have been topping the DLC-PSN list in every region once released. Lightning Returns at least judging from what we saw is surely a bigger product than XIII-2 (that was a very small game dev-wise) so I guess they expect to sell at least the same amount of copies that one did, with a short-dev-time and improved dev-cycle and costs... it should not doing bad at all.

Now, the real problem here are just ARR and Versus: will the two manage to be profitable titles?

XIII-2 and LR are nothing more than just cash-ins. It just made business sense to re-use all those assets and make a whole new game out of it, rather than starting over for a fresh new title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom