• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

StuBurns

Banned
With the combat adjustments, the gothic/mechanical/fantasy comment, among other things, it sounds like they might have absorbed Versus into this. I'm convinced Versus doesn't even exist anymore.
This thought flashed through my mind earlier, but I don't think so. I doubt they'd confirm Versus' existence in the exact same event they announce it's replacement.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This thought flashed through my mind earlier, but I don't think so. I doubt they'd confirm Versus' existence in the exact same event they announce it's replacement.

Yeah putting DLC tracks into Theatrhythm wouldn't be smart if this was the case.

Why the hell would Nomura draw a Noctis sketch and say "wait for his turn" if it was being replaced or absorbed into something else.

Caelestis

The ideas that they have presented so far are sort of interesting and could be fun if well executed. Toriyama is writing the story for this still, right? That just might ruin the game like the last two.

DaBuddaDa

With the combat adjustments, the gothic/mechanical/fantasy comment, among other things, it sounds like they might have absorbed Versus into this.

Perhaps some of the ideas in this game are serving as tests/proof of concept for ideas being worked on in Versus.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The ideas that they have presented so far are sort of interesting and could be fun if well executed. Toriyama is writing the story for this still, right? That just might ruin the game like the last two.

Or 3rd Birthday or Front Mission Evolved, or character bastardization in Dissidia.

Forkball

I always thought that FFXV would be a straight up action RPG since Square has been obsessed with westernization and traditional turn-based RPG combat may not appeal to the masses anymore. Perhaps they are testing the waters with this game?

timshundo

I'm still new to GAF [not sure why I'd admit that] and im still familiarizig myself with the community, but do you guys seriously believe that the ffxiii series has no fans?

I demanded this game for sure. Knowing what square has learned from developing the last two games, I have full confidence this final entry is going to be delightful.

You guys rival reddit on one-side hivemind mentality. Let me know when you check back into the real world and remember that both ffxiii games received spectacular reviews and have a huge fanbase. In square's eyes, adding a third entry to the saga will only expand that fanbase and give all 3 games excellent resell value. Package them all up in a collection = goldmine.

Leeness

I don't ever currr, I want a conclusion to 13-2 and its hilarious ending. So I am good with this.

Sad that Noel doesn't seem to be a part though. :(

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I always thought that FFXV would be a straight up action RPG since Square has been obsessed with westernization and traditional turn-based RPG combat may not appeal to the masses anymore. Perhaps they are testing the waters with this game?

I think Type 0 tested the waters better then XIII ever will.

*Is bias*

Aeana

I'm still new to GAF [not sure why I'd admit that] and im still familiarizig myself with the community, but do you guys seriously believe that the ffxiii series has no fans?

I demanded this game for sure. Knowing what square has learned from developing the last two games, I have full confidence this final entry is going to be delightful.

You guys rival reddit on one-side hivemind mentality. Let me know when you check back into the real world and remember that both ffxiii games received spectacular reviews and have a huge fanbase. In square's eyes, adding a third entry to the saga will only expand that fanbase and give all 3 games excellent resell value. Package them all up in a collection = goldmine.
The number of people in here who are posting like that are a fraction of GAF's total number. Some people are just more vocal than others. GAF doesn't have a "hive mind," it has heavily opinionated posters with forceful personalities who tend to overshadow everybody else at times.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The number of people in here who are posting like that are a fraction of GAF's total number. Some people are just more vocal than others. GAF doesn't have a "hive mind," it has heavily opinionated posters with forceful personalities who tend to overshadow everybody else at times.

Someone has to do it.

Bladenic

"spectacular" reviews is going a bit far, especially for XIII-2 which had a worse critical reception.

StuBurns

Banned
You guys rival reddit on one-side hivemind mentality.
That's really not true, there are a few people in this thread that are certainly 'for' this game, myself included.

However, XIII-2 saw a significant drop off in sales, after XIII was received lukewarmly to begin with, so it's not strange for people to question the viability of this project at all. XIII-2 was a cheap cash-in from a B-tier developer. If this is all new assets, from SE Production 1, it's going to be inline with the costs of a new Final Fantasy, but will without question under perform in comparison to that, so it's a strange decision.

cj_iwakura

That's really not true, there are a few people in this thread that are certainly 'for' this game, myself included.

However, XIII-2 saw a significant drop off in sales, after XIII was received lukewarmly to begin with, so it's not strange for people to question the viability of this project at all. XIII-2 was a cheap cash-in from a B-tier developer. If this is all new assets, from SE Production 1, it's going to be inline with the costs of a new Final Fantasy, but will without question under perform in comparison to that, so it's a strange decision.

XIII-2 was pretty dang amazing, so that's a shame. I did like XIII more though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I hope you're not expecting the production value/quality of this game to be higher than XIII-2. While it seemed like they had a lot of new stuff to show I guarantee that there will be A LOT of reused assets. There's no way they can build this game from ground up with only 8 or so months of pre-production,pre-dev/ 1 month of actual development. Remember, XIII-2 took 18 months of ACTUAL DEV time. People are forgetting what state LRXIII is in and how XIII-2 was made. If it is from the ground up then I expect it to suck.

I hope you're not expecting the production value/quality of this game to be higher than XIII-2. While it seemed like they had a lot of new stuff to show I guarantee that there will be A LOT of reused assets. There's no way they can build this game from ground up with only 8 or so months of pre-production,pre-dev/ 1 month of actual development. Remember, XIII-2 took 18 months of ACTUAL DEV time. People are forgetting what state LRXIII is in and how XIII-2 was made. If it is from the ground up then I expect it to suck.

Or it actually wont make it out in time (shock its SE). I dont believe that this will be out in 8 months. I suspect Q3 or Q4 2013.

Stark

Banned

That is probably why it makes sense it was devved while XIII-2 was being made. :p I don't think they'll be re-using much, even considering the textures are placeholder.

Like someone else said, there was more to it than just a XIII-3 domain in Sept. I bet. Explains the outsourcing at the very least and some staff positions.

StuBurns

Banned
It's all speculation at this point, it's perfectly possible a team who worked on XIII went straight from that to this, and have been on it for years, the whole game could be in place, designed, waiting for the XIV asset building army to rotate on to this project and blast it out in fourteen months.

In that situation, yes, it could be as polished and 'triple A' as any game, more or less.

If it's SE Production 1, I expect a lot higher production value than XIII-2.

kayos90

XIII-2 was pretty dang amazing, so that's a shame. I did like XIII more though.

XIII-2 as a game was good. That's it. It wasn't amazing or anything of the sort. The narrative was convoluted. The combat was extremely easy making the entire playthrough of the game somewhat bland, except for the last area. It had questionable gameplay systems like platforming. It was filled to the brim with side-quests/padding just for the sake of and didn't feel super interesting. The game had content and it was okay. That's what makes XIII-2 good. It's no where near amazing.

kayos90

It's all speculation at this point, it's perfectly possible a team who worked on XIII went straight from that to this, and have been on it for years, the whole game could be in place, designed, waited for the XIV asset building army to rotate on to this project and blast it out in fourteen months.

In that situation, yes, it could be as polished and 'triple A' as any game, more or less.

If it's SE Production 1, I expect a lot higher production value than XIII-2.

Alright. Let's assume they've been working on this since XIII. It's not possible. At all. What would they have made? Did they have this ENTIRE SAGA planned out from the beginning. I expect not. I think they had bits and pieces of inspiration. Stuff that they wanted to do. That I can understand. However, there is NO WAY they can have actual full-blow pre-production/pre-dev after XIII up to XIII-2. It's just not possible. This game started pre-dev/pre-production most likely RIGHT AFTER XIII-2. And after they had everything set in stone, they started full production last month. This is the only logical conclusion as of now. Why would they spend 2+ years planning this game if XIII-2 hadn't been out and they didn't exactly know what they wanted to do with this game?

Or it actually wont make it out in time (shock its SE). I dont believe that this will be out in 8 months. I suspect Q3 or Q4 2013.

Yup. You're pretty much on the dot.

That is probably why it makes sense it was devved while XIII-2 was being made. :p I don't think they'll be re-using much, even considering the textures are placeholder.

Like someone else said, there was more to it than just a XIII-3 domain in Sept. I bet. Explains the outsourcing at the very least and some staff positions.

I doubt that. Maybe they had bits and pieces of what they possibly wanted to do for their next project but they didn't start pre-dev/pre-production until XIII-2 went gold at the earliest. I don't see this game being formulated in early stages before that.

StuBurns

Banned
XIII-2 is Production 1. That's why it was unveiled at that Production 1 event last year.
It wasn't built internally though, it's triAce.
Alright. Let's assume they've been working on this since XIII. It's not possible. At all. What would they have made? Did they have this ENTIRE SAGA planned out from the beginning. I expect not. I think they had bits and pieces of inspiration. Stuff that they wanted to do. That I can understand. However, there is NO WAY they can have actual full-blow pre-production/pre-dev after XIII up to XIII-2. It's just not possible. This game started pre-dev/pre-production most likely RIGHT AFTER XIII-2. And after they had everything set in stone, they started full production last month. This is the only logical conclusion as of now. Why would they spend 2+ years planning this game if XIII-2 hadn't been out and they didn't exactly know what they wanted to do with this game?
Considering this appears to be more or less the original pitch for FFXIII, yes, it's entirely possible. This could completely ignore the existence of XIII-2, and I would imagine it more or less does.

XIII-2 couldn't feel more stop gap if it tried. It could have easily been a cheap farmed out sequel while people worked on their next project, which was this.

Ydahs

Awesome.

I enjoyed FFXIII and will get started on FFXIII-2 soon. Seems Square might be leaving FFV for next gen, what's wrong with having another solid RPG in the mean time?

Top Bottom