• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Linkle", female Link, announced for Hyrule Warriors Legends

writeandwrong

Neo Member
Sure, and I never talked about "any character design featuring shorts", I'm talking specifically about this one - same as the HotS/Dragons Crown characters above, the high-thigh leather boots, the skin gap between the boots and the skirt/shorts are absolutely designed to look sexy and cute. If you honestly want to insist the design is "being needed for the crossbows", be my guest, but we both know that's bull. That would be the same sort of explanation Kojima used for Quiet's outfit. Linkle is designed by a guy to appeal to a target audience, not a personality deciding what's best for her and what's practical.

That you could even compare this design to the absurdly sexualised Quiet's I think says more about you than the designers of this character. There's nothing sexual in Linkle's design at all unless you're bringing that interpretation to it yourself.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That you could even compare this design to the absurdly sexualised Quiet's I think says more about you than the designers of this character. There's nothing sexual in Linkle's design at all unless you're bringing that interpretation to it yourself.

I did not compare the designs, I compared the explanations of Kojima and you why they wear what they wear, which is completely silly, since any game heroine designe can be "explained" with such logic. "Lara's completely naked because she likes the sun, and she has sticky weapons that best stick to skin, duh!"

And of course there is sexuality in Linkles design. But that was a really nice try to ignoring all my points and strawmanning me into some kind of villain position here, heh.

gafneo

Banned
I'm guessing Zelda may be going in a new direction to offer a shooter style experience that appeals to a new generation. Link was all about the sword. This sistly version must be an excuse to use new mechanics without wrecking the image for Link.

Well, it's not as if characters in other Koei games didn't have purely ranged combat styles. Lianshi in Dynasty Warriors carried a big ol' crossbow that was functionally a shotgun. Mamiya in Ken's Rage had crossbows and basically fought just like Linkle and Masamune in Samurai Warriors was rockin' dual pistols.

Granted, I still prefer how Sengoku Basara handled gun characters. They felt more shooter-ish and were a lot more fun to play.

Personally I think the character looks cute and fun to play, and I think that's the most important thing about her, not Gender Debates #5429.

Mory Dunz

I'm guessing Zelda may be going in a new direction to offer a shooter style experience that appeals to a new generation. Link was all about the sword. This sistly version must be an excuse to use new mechanics without wrecking the image for Link.

wat

Or Toei just uses animations and weapons already in previous DW games...

Bladenic

And of course there is sexuality in Linkles design. But that was a really nice try to ignoring all my points and strawmanning me into some kind of villain position here, heh.

How, exactly? The character looks like a teenage girl, she's almost completely covered up. Is it only because she's female? The only way I can see her design having a basis in sexuality (if that means that it's "sexy") is if the person looking at it is into absurdly young individuals. Which that's a whole other thing.

Chaos17

It's a pretty unoriginal design in general.

250px-DHItems.jpg

Show us then a cool concept of female archer that isn't from an mmorpg :p

NeonZ

Linkle's moveset is a reference to Link's Crossbow Training(not just due to the crossbow, she also uses the two special shots from that game with the corresponding visual effect), just more over the top, like everything else in Hyrule Warriors .

https://youtu.be/ypLxA9UMF98?t=33s

Psxphile

straight G

I mustache you a question: is that supposed to be a male Navi?

"I say, over here!"
"Prick up your ears!"
"Good day!"
"Be wary!"
"Look here Mistress, this Stalfos fellow appears to drop his guard momentarily on the occasion. When that happens, give it your all!"

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
If they keep it with the Engrish, they could go with something like Prince Zerd (which is pronounced ze-ru-do in Japanese).

I'm pretty sure Zerd would be pronounced Zaado in Japanese.

EhoaVash

meh i don't consider her zelda canon since Koei tecmo designed her and developed this spinoff game. nope not zelda cannon at all >.>

C'mon, the ZR, the DFC and all that stuff just scream "Japanese
and otaku
male demographic" in her design.

¡It panders to me and is doing wonders, I love her design!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You know who really would love this linkle news?
Arin Hanson, if you watch enough game grumps you'd know that he'd flip his shit over this.

Razmos

Loving those new pics. Perhaps they are using Linkle as the "side story" character and her plot involves all the characters not involved with the main game (Twili Midna, Tingle, Young Link, Skull Kid)

EDIT: Oh! Famitsu scans show screenshots of Linkle in the Wii U version, and a new weapon for Ganondorf

GSR

Loving those new pics. Perhaps they are using Linkle as the "side story" character and her plot involves all the characters not involved with the main game (Twili Midna, Tingle, Young Link, Skull Kid)

EDIT: Oh! Famitsu scans show screenshots of Linkle in the Wii U version, and a new weapon for Ganondorf

That seems to be the general idea, at least for Twilli Midna and Skull Kid. From Famitsu (rough, overly literal translation):

Linkle sets off for Hyrule Castle with a compass in one hand. This time, the 'backstage' of the story will be shown through her. Along the way, she'll fight with playable characters like Twili Midna and Skull Kid. Just how exactly is Linkle's adventure connected to the main story...?

The magazine also refers to a "Wind Waker episode" in the story as well, so that's presumably where Tetra/Toon Link show up.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't like the Dual Crossbows on her legs. It makes the design look too busy and kinda weird. Put them under her cloak and it'd be a lot better.

Those new shots looks great.

I've been playing Zelda since part 1 and I usually play male characters when given a choice, but damn I really want this to be the canon Link for the upcoming WiiU game. Or at least to be able to choose Link's gender. She rocks.

They really should do it.

Razmos

That seems to be the general idea, at least for Twilli Midna and Skull Kid. From Famitsu (rough, overly literal translation):

The magazine also refers to a "Wind Waker episode" in the story as well, so that's presumably where Tetra/Toon Link show up.
Ah I see. The Wind Waker episode is probably the epilogue they've mentioned before and shown in scans already.

Some other things I've noticed:

Some screenshots show Linkle with her hood up, and some with her hood down. So I'd guess she has 2 base costumes like Cia.

Interestingly, the Toon Linkle pictures above show her with a pointed hood reminiscent of Link's cap, while her actual hood in game and in her design is round. I wonder if some wires were crossed somewhere and they started work on her story before her design was finalized.

Ganondorf's trident is shown in the Wii U version, so it looks like the weapons will be transferable too.

Qurupeke

Will the characters in this be available on Wii U as DLC without buying the 3ds game? I know that they're transferable with download codes.

Top Bottom