• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech Tips gets into Twitter "firestorm" over "confusing" tampons and menstrual pads.

Hissing Sid

Yeah I wouldn’t really describe the comments as people taking offence.

Feels more like mainly a group of ladies rolling their eyes and using the whole thing to tut at men in general.

‘Men eh? What are they like?’

Which, depending on how sensitive you are presents it’s own set of problems.

I personally don’t mind girls taking the piss out of boys and vice versa, as long as it isn’t being used as part of some overarching, agenda pushing power gambit.

We’re all adults. Aren’t we?

Seems like a bit of a non issue.

Edit. I have only read the comments pasted on here so could be wrong. I don’t do Twitter.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Yeah I wouldn’t really describe the comments as people taking offence.

Feels more like mainly a group of ladies rolling their eyes and using the whole thing to tut at men in general.

‘Men eh? What are they like?’

Which, depending on how sensitive you are presents it’s own set of problems.

I personally don’t mind girls taking the piss out of boys and vice versa, as long as it isn’t being used as part of some overarching, agenda pushing power gambit.

We’re all adults. Aren’t we?

Seems like a bit of a non issue.

Edit. I have only read the comments pasted on here so could be wrong. I don’t do Twitter.

I don't think they were offended, but I do feel like they used it as proof or justification to the ongoing narrative that men, especially in tech, don't care enough about and don't know enough about women, and that this is part of the problem that "keeps women down". When you had twitter comments saying that Linus would be a horrible father and that they feel sorry for his daughter, then it's more than just jokes and women going "Men eh? What are they like?". That reads more like someone who thinks there is a war going on.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

I don't think they were offended, but I do feel like they used it as proof or justification to the ongoing narrative that men, especially in tech, don't care enough about and don't know enough about women, and that this is part of the problem that "keeps women down". When you had twitter comments saying that Linus would be a horrible father and that they feel sorry for his daughter, then it's more than just jokes and women going "Men eh? What are they like?". That reads more like someone who thinks there is a war going on.

There’s probably several different things going on.

Some comments will be agenda pushing.

Some comments will be virtue signalling.

Some comments will be poking fun.

Some comments will be horrid for the sake of being horrid.

Etc.

Just another day on the Internet I suppose.

But like I said I haven’t been on Twitter to check out the comments in their entirety. I just thought the selection I read on here didn’t seem to be the unified voice of an outraged group pushing an agenda.

Last edited:

Dunki

Why do people still waste their time on twitter?
I do not think that this is the problem but rather that news media is using twitter reactions to write articles which they then put up as the general american view etc. They scandalize these tweets to push their own agenda

Relativ9

There’s probably several different things going on.

Some comments will be agenda pushing.

Some comments will be virtue signalling.

Some comments will be poking fun.

Some comments will be horrid for the sake of being horrid.

Etc.

Just another day on the Internet I suppose.

But like I said I haven’t been on Twitter to check out the comments in their entirety. I just thought the selection I read on here didn’t seem to be the unified voice of an outraged group pushing an agenda.

Yeah I'd say I agree with that, I don't think there's a group pushing anything in any sort of organized fashion, and I don't think it's anywhere close to the majority. But they reach trending on twitter (nothing related to this channel ever has before), and I think it's emblematic of just how fucked up social media is and large parts of our culture.

Some more:

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Linus owned 'em with that response. Like him more now.

NinjaBoiX

I honestly had to read the OP after watching the video to understand what the outrage was about.

People are actual furious that he confused pads with tampons? I genuinely don’t understand.

Jesus, get a life.

Drain You

Watched the Amazon video a couple days or whenever it came out, can't believe people are up in arms over this and I'm glad hes not going to apologize over this.

pj

Banned
Haha I heard there was controversy and thought it was from amazon because he said he "stole" something from the store.

"aww sweetie, you've clearly never touched a vagina because you messed up a word sort related to vaginas that has almost no relevance to your life"
"this is what happens when you don't hire women!"

I wonder if people who said dumb shit like that felt dumb when they realized he has a wife and a kid and his wife works at his company. This is exactly like when gun owners scoff at liberals who mix up 'clip' and 'magazine'. Who gives a shit, you know what I'm talking about!

J-Rzez

I think, well, hope people are just doing this just to "be funny." If they're seriously upset, this is the direction society is headed in, and it's pathetic. But hey, slippery slope and all that letting people shut down every trivial thing because they get offended by everything.

on a moral stance, he did kind of steal them since you amazon allows you to keep certain items while still be refunded, Happen to me when I wanted to return a desk grommet.

Makariel

on a moral stance, he did kind of steal them since you amazon allows you to keep certain items while still be refunded, Happen to me when I wanted to return a desk grommet.
Yes he "stole" the pads, but since he cleared it with amazon pr beforehand, it's the same type of "stealing" as when I grab a bunch of fries from a friend's plate during dinner.

On a side note: I find it hilarious just how many people seem to think he went there on a whim, and not after getting an okay by amazon including a few talking points from them for the video and some pr person walking him around etc.

Relativ9

Yes he "stole" the pads, but since he cleared it with amazon pr beforehand, it's the same type of "stealing" as when I grab a bunch of fries from a friend's plate during dinner.

On a side note: I find it hilarious just how many people seem to think he went there on a whim, and not after getting an okay by amazon including a few talking points from them for the video and some pr person walking him around etc.

Yeah, it's not that people are dumb in general I think, it's that they're intellectually lazy. It's easier to just jump down someone's throat for an apparent lie or mistake than it is to try and think logically about how something like this would happen, what the other person's thought process might've been and what they might know that we don't.

I think pretty much everyone is guilty of this once in a while. But we've reached a point in our culture where we don't acknowledge and take responsibilities for mistakes anymore. To use the other example from this video; they called him a pathetic virgin, then they found out that he had a wife and kids. Then instead of backing off and rationalizing it as just a silly plot point in a video, it was suddenly about him being a bad husband and father. Then it shifts again and suddenly it's about him (and by extension the whole tech industry) not employing enough women.

Of course, all these people are different people (except one notable "anti-cis" girl), none of them individually continuing and moving the narrative. But none of them admit to their mistake and their rash words either, it's "drive-by" twittering. They look at the "case" superficially, unilaterally decide that Linus and "all tech nerds" are terrible chauvinist scum, and then they move along, forever tainting an entire "class?" of people in their minds. Of course, the irony that this is precisely the type of thinking they hate the "patriarchy" for engaging in apparently lost on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom