• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Devil Inside Attacked For Having ‘Racist Caricatures’

Bullet Club

Banned
Little Devil Inside Attacked For Having ‘Racist Caricatures’

iM5Ktqx.jpg

After getting quite a bit of positive attention on Thursday, Little Devil Inside is facing some backlash a day later. One of the titles shown off at the PS5 reveal event, the upcoming game is being accused of including some enemies that are racist caricatures.

Twitch streamer Lord Balvin was among the first to draw attention to the character models, but others on social media soon agreed the designs were troubling.

The streamer posted a picture of the characters in question on his Twitter account. The characters look to be a play on the stereotypical appearance of African tribal people. They are clothed only in loincloth and white face masks. Behind the masks trail long dreadlocks.

Another user tried to claim all the developers, Neostream had to do was change the lips on the mask and they thought it would be ok. They also pointed out the development team is based in South Korea and may not understand why the depiction of the enemies could be seen as offensive.

Another user replied it’s the whole package that makes it feel racist.

Little Devil Inside Didn’t Have To Do It This Way

The user, who goes by Angry Black Woman on Twitter, further pointed out there is a way to depict these kind of tribal people without using a caricature.

It should be pointed out that Little Devil Inside is being made by what Neostream says is a team of 12 people. While the title was shown off during the PS5 reveal event, Sony does not have a direct say in its creation. The developers were able to make the game through a very successful Kickstarter campaign that saw it raise quite a bit more money than the original goal.

If there is a bright spot in this latest turn, it’s that there is no known release date for Little Devil Inside. That could mean the team has time to change or take out the characters entirely.

Source: Nerd Stash

Cartoons with dreads and lips!

EEJvwyZ.gif

Alx

I agree with one of the Twitter comments, change the color and the problem is solved. I'm sure the devs had no bad intention and in many contexts there is nothing wrong with that design, but for an international product you need to make sure to avoid such cultural clashes.
*e - just saw the devs answered. Problem solved indeed.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I can see why people might think this is offensive but I also think the reaction is way too overblown, again. Anyway them changing these characters doesn't affect me whatsoever. At the end of the day this is a good outcome because for a minute there I thought this was another one to be cancelled. At least now they have appeased the angry mob and we can carry on fawning over how good this game looks.

Last edited:
Don't th.... Oh whatever, I'm too tired for this, it's time people go back to work, these characters even have white faces and another mouth looking thing at the top of their head.

But sure, the big mouth kind of look like some stereotypical 'black mouth' if you want to see things that way.

JimiNutz

Banned
It's actually racist to think that those are racist.

"Hey black people, we think you should be offended by the hideously large and grotesque red lips like on these imaginary cartoon enemies in this fantasy computer game, but fear not, we will be outraged for you and try to get it banned!"

Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom