• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

Orz said:
This is the crux of my concern about the Base levels. Not everyone seems to be able to figure out how to play them properly. I really didn't want to have to put in an exhaustive tutorial section, as I thought it was pretty evident from the directions I gave. Did the speaking cutscene at the entryway sign not clarify that you had to hold R1 to fire? I suppose I had best put in clearer directions.

And yeah Orz, yesterday I noticed that sometimes when I played Base 1 the next wall wouldn't appear for (sometimes) 30 seconds or so. That has never been an issue with Base 2 though, and the last thing I want is for people to get the wrong impression by playing Base 1 and then skipping over Base 2 so you might want to make sure it's fixed while you are having so much exposure on the cool pages, you know?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Me and my buddy spotted this while playing and jumped in. Soooo hard, but really well done. Only played the first level, but I think I'll go back to it alone one day. Great work so far, everyone.

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
And yeah Orz, yesterday I noticed that sometimes when I played Base 1 the next wall wouldn't appear for (sometimes) 30 seconds or so. That has never been an issue with Base 2 though, and the last thing I want is for people to get the wrong impression by playing Base 1 and then skipping over Base 2 so you might want to make sure it's fixed while you are having so much exposure on the cool pages, you know?

Wish I knew why. It's literally the exact same mechanism. Base 2 is a complete copy of Base 1 with extra walls, a new boss, and different intro/outro. I'll have to check the chute walls to see if the walls are getting wedged somehow.

Orz said:
Wish I knew why. It's literally the exact same mechanism. Base 2 is a complete copy of Base 1 with extra walls, a new boss, and different intro/outro. I'll have to check the chute walls to see if the walls are getting wedged somehow.

Ahh, well that's a mystery then. One other thing I forgot to mention, on Base 2 when Jaeyden and I would die, we would end up in the scoreboard area (happened like 3 times in a row). We assumed that you changed it to do away with the game over screen and opted for a scoring survival-esque system, since that airship thing would drop points, but on the way down the chute we saw the Game Over part of the stage still there so I'm wondering if there's a bug that is making you not appear in the Game Over room if you die?

Someone posted on my comments section for Jungle "Very cool. ign was right" and yet...I don't see anything about us on IGN (not to mention they don't update on the weekends) so I guess it was some dude just trying to screw with me? lol

Edit: My hearted list is being a douche, no matter what I do I can't get Base 2 to be on the front page of my list among the other stages. As a matter of fact last night I could only get it to my page 2, I gave up after messing with it for a while and this morning when I checked my hearted list to see if it possibly updated to my page 1 it wasn't on the list at all. Just removed and added it once more and it's back to my page 2...what gives?

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
Someone posted on my comments section for Jungle "Very cool. ign was right" and yet...I don't see anything about us on IGN (not to mention they don't update on the weekends) so I guess it was some dude just trying to screw with me? lol

Edit: My hearted list is being a douche, no matter what I do I can't get Base 2 to be on the front page of my list among the other stages. As a matter of fact last night I could only get it to my page 2, I gave up after messing with it for a while and this morning when I checked my hearted list to see if it possibly updated to my page 1 it wasn't on the list at all. Just removed and added it once more and it's back to my page 2...what gives?

Base 2 isn't even on MY hearted list now that you mention it. I'll also have to look into the malfunctioning game over mechanic for Base 2.

There's an IGN thread about our project: http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8267/177545958/r177560001/
Heck, here's one on TeamXbox: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=612679&page=2
The Escapist: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89793-Fans-Make-LittleBigContra

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi guys, can't play it but I've seen your youtube trailer through an article on Escapist.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

I'm not even kidding, I may gift my brother LBP just to play this!

Bravo, clap clap!

Jaeyden

You guys are so awesome for supporting our project and getting out to play the levels. The response has been outstanding, thanks a ton for all the feedback and comments! And oh yeah....we didn't set out to make 'First Steps'...we set out to topple the 'Bunker'. Anyway if you beat it on your first try then we did something wrong.

Alrighty, Alien's Lair is up. It's on the coast of Florida so... go go go!!!

I'll do a proper ending later, but what I have now should suffice. Good luck and attack aggressively!

Orz

donkey show said:
Alrighty, Alien's Lair is up. It's on the coast of Florida so... go go go!!!

I'll do a proper ending later, but what I have now should suffice. Good luck and attack aggressively!

Awesome, welcome to the party, donkey. :D

Here's a little hint of how crazy this has become: I have a photobucket account to host my level's screenshots. That's all I have on there, the half-dozen screenshots of Base 1 & 2. As of today, I've exceeded the 25GB monthly limit on my account, and it's frozen till the 10th!

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
Not to be picky Teknoman, but the link on YouTube links to like page 13 or something instead of the first post =P

Hmm thought I linked the first page. I'll get on that now.

EDIT:

WTF is this about -

"Letsplaythreadssuck

I just Good Griefed the fuck out of these stages, prepare for oblivion."

I suspected people were griefing for the hell of it early on in LBP's release...but this late in the game? C'mon.

Teknoman said:
Hmm thought I linked the first page. I'll get on that now.

EDIT:

WTF is this about -

"Letsplaythreadssuck

I just Good Griefed the fuck out of these stages, prepare for oblivion."

I suspected people were griefing for the hell of it early on in LBP's release...but this late in the game? C'mon.
It's to be expected even now, but considering how things have gone with Little Big Dead Space and other "copyrighted" works... I don't think this douche will be a big issue in the long run. But just to let you know, MM themselves are ultimately not responsible for the moderation. It's Sony who is.

EDIT: Just checked that guy's youtube page. He's a total tool so don't worry about it.

BTW, I brought the project to the guys at Qore. Hopefully it'll go through before the next episode.

Ranger X

I hate that every media article about the project are all pulling off the "play it before it's moderated" or something along those lines.

It's like they want it to be moderated. They simply are helping the probabilities. The more exposure this project gets, the more chances for it to get moderated.

A few things:

Orz - I think your instructions would be clearer if it said "HOLD R1 to fire" as it is it says "R1 to fire!" Also if you could find a hiding spot for the secret stickers in the pre-post 3D view areas that would be great. Let me know if you need me to send the stickers again.

Donkey Show - if you die in a pit in Alien's Lair it's possible for a repeat kill if the player isn't fast enough to move over manually, it might be smart to put an invisible slope over pits to guide the player to a safe platform if they fall in the pit. Also after you let go from the chopper at the end to finish on the scoreboard, it doesn't register and you have to kind of jump around a bit for it to detect you on it. The helicopter makes this difficult since it falls down on the scoreboard blocking it from the player. Great sequence though, and as awesome as whatever epic ending you had planned would be, even this is great on its own.

El Beefo - Could you put the Hangar key on your scoreboard? Also there's a missing decoration on the second set of horizontal fire-spouts. (The armor decoration you used to shoot the spout)

StrikerObi said:
Where's the Konami Code sticker?

It's given to you right when you appear out of the entrance of Jungle. It's in your stickers under community objects, or more specifically under "Switch triggers"

sentry65

Orz said:
This is the crux of my concern about the Base levels. Not everyone seems to be able to figure out how to play them properly. I really didn't want to have to put in an exhaustive tutorial section, as I thought it was pretty evident from the directions I gave. Did the speaking cutscene at the entryway sign not clarify that you had to hold R1 to fire? I suppose I had best put in clearer directions.

do you press R1 or press and hold R1 tor fire?

when I pressed R1, nothing would happen. I tried the stage 3 or 4 times.

Teknoman

sentry65 said:

Hold R1. It'll shoot out those red ball shots. Machine gun power up makes rapid shots, spread gun spreads them out. Just hold R1 the whole time enemies are on screen and dodge shots.

Teknoman said:
Hey creation team, IGN wants to talk to you guys. Sent MisterAnderson the info, going to PM you guys as well.

Fuck me running, thanks for the info Tekno. I just emailed them back! IGN here we come. :D

sentry65

MisterAnderson said:
Thanks! We spent a lot of time on trying to make it look good

I'm assuming you're talking about Base 1 actually since you said further down "I skipped level 4 since level 2 was unplayable." But like Tekno said, hold down R1 and if you want to move faster than the default speed hold X for your jetpack turbo.

I tried to make it a little easier to notice what layer is in what by making sure the floor was color coded so you won't be confused what layer you are standing in (the outer layers are silver, middle is black). Also, just knowing that the boss is 3 layers and the fact that the wall is symmetrical should be a little bit of an aid to what to expect so that when you learn one layer, you pretty much know the opposite layer. The bullets are also color coded in a sense that in phase 1, red bombs are on the outside and white bullets are in the middle. In phase two, blue bullets are on the outside and the red beam is always in the middle. Also, just a hint, but whenever you die the helicopter will drop you where it's safe.

Like Tekno said, the arms first then the head. Just like in original Contra.

Level 4 (Base 2) plays a little smoother than Base 1. Sometimes in the level you played the next wall will lag and not appear for a little bit but I've never had that problem in Level 4.

I don't know, I personally never have a problem with the difficulty in this stage. The bombs have a pattern that is easy to avoid and you can even shoot them out of the sky if you want. The turret shooters are easy enough to jump over as well, and the dozer minibosses and the boss isn't difficult when you figure out the trick to killing them.

I appreciate your response.

all of it is a great effort. Good job guys. Hope there's more stuff like this in the future.

My beef in general though has been that contra is super precise and LBP just isn't. The original was completely 2D with only 1 layer, LBP has 3 layers and so it can be 3x as confusing when there's a ton of shots coming at you at the same time

I think maybe what I have the largest problem with is knowing what to shoot at with the bosses. The stage 3 boss I was shooting the arms. I didn't hear any change in sound so after awhile I started shooting anything thinking maybe it was changed from the original game. Maybe I should try it again

The thing about the stage 1 boss is there's so much going on at the same time, I literally sat there in a safe spot trying to figure out where to go and what to shoot. I got the first few things destroyed, but had trouble somewhere later where I couldn't really tell what it was I was supposed to be shooting at specifically. I know it was making a sound when I was hitting it, but I was so focused on the shots coming at me, I couldn't figure out what it was I was actually trying to aim at. Then when the 2nd phase kicked in I kinda think there was too much going on and so few little lives.

Maybe that's all it needs - more lives?

Teknoman

sentry65 said:

all of it is a great effort. Good job guys. Hope there's more stuff like this in the future.

My beef in general though has been that contra is super precise and LBP just isn't. The original was completely 2D with only 1 layer, LBP has 3 layers and so it can be 3x as confusing when there's a ton of shots coming at you at the same time

I think maybe what I have the largest problem with is knowing what to shoot for the bosses. The stage 3 boss I was shooting the arms. I didn't hear any change in sound so after awhile I started shooting anything thinking maybe it was changed from the original game. Maybe I should try it again

The thing about the stage 1 boss is there's so much going on at the same time, I literally sat there in a safe spot trying to figure out where to go and what to shoot. I got the first few things destroyed, but had trouble somewhere later where I couldn't really tell what it was I was supposed to be shooting at specifically. Then when the 2nd phase kicked in I kinda think there was too much going on.

Eh theres still room for improvement. Its just that people really can see the "power of LBP" at work with this collaboration. Most people aside from GAF and a few others just thought it was "lol rocket skateboardz".

I still think some parts of Waterfall and Snowfield are too hard though.

sentry65

Teknoman said:
Eh theres still room for improvement. Its just that people really can see the "power of LBP" at work with this collaboration. Most people aside from GAF and a few others just thought it was "lol rocket skateboardz".

oh absolutely.

Just a matter of time before a company (maybe MM?) come out with a game that isn't tied to a specific universe of physics or controls like LBP's floaty style (as great as it is) and doesn't limit you to a certain 2D style gameplay

It'd be nice for a game to be open to larger games that you can save your progress.

The lego brand would be a perfect contender if they'd ever make something that wasn't so specific and more creative like how legos should be

sentry65 said:

I think maybe what I have the largest problem with is knowing what to shoot at with the bosses. The stage 3 boss I was shooting the arms. I didn't hear any change in sound so after awhile I started shooting anything thinking maybe it was changed from the original game. Maybe I should try it again

The thing about the stage 1 boss is there's so much going on at the same time, I literally sat there in a safe spot trying to figure out where to go and what to shoot. I got the first few things destroyed, but had trouble somewhere later where I couldn't really tell what it was I was supposed to be shooting at specifically. I know it was making a sound when I was hitting it, but I was so focused on the shots coming at me, I couldn't figure out what it was I was actually trying to aim at. Then when the 2nd phase kicked in I kinda think there was too much going on and so few little lives.

Maybe that's all it needs - more lives?

If I had an infinite checkpoint I would swap it out with the double checkpoint that is granted after using the code, but until Media Molecule releases one the double is the best I could do. I would also put an extra double at the boss sequence for using the code but I'm out of room on my thermo. I will say that it shouldn't be too difficult to know what to shoot if you have played Contra before, since it stays pretty true to the conventions set in those games. Anyway, the levels are indeed beatable, in fact, someone aced Jungle today! Should you keep trying to beat it, I hope you have better luck :)

Edit: And yeah, the 3 layer thing does make it more confusing, but we tried our best with adapting the Contra gameplay to the 3 layer system.

Orz

sentry65 said:

As others have replied, you have to hold it to fire consistently. I've republished the level with better directions and hopefully a few more bugfixes.

MisterAnderson said:
A few things:

Donkey Show - if you die in a pit in Alien's Lair it's possible for a repeat kill if the player isn't fast enough to move over manually, it might be smart to put an invisible slope over pits to guide the player to a safe platform if they fall in the pit. Also after you let go from the chopper at the end to finish on the scoreboard, it doesn't register and you have to kind of jump around a bit for it to detect you on it. The helicopter makes this difficult since it falls down on the scoreboard blocking it from the player. Great sequence though, and as awesome as whatever epic ending you had planned would be, even this is great on its own.
Oh most definitely. Considering I was rushing to get it into a playable state, I figured those exact spots needed to be worked on later (especially the spawning and dropping sections. The helicopter ending will be slightly tweaked since I planned on making proper credits with everyone's name... which should be pretty sweet since I'm gonna use my "monitor" screen from my previous work to display names etc.

In fact, everyone involved with the project should send me an in-game pic with their personalized Sackboy. If you've played my Armorboy stage and got far enough, you'll know what I'm trying to do. :D

Orz said:
As others have replied, you have to hold it to fire consistently. I've republished the level with better directions and hopefully a few more bugfixes.

Orz I mailed you the stickers, sorry I didn't send them sooner, I was AFK from my PS3.

donkey show said:
In fact, everyone involved with the project should send me an in-game pic with their personalized Sackboy. If you've played my Armorboy stage and got far enough, you'll know what I'm trying to do. :D

I'll take one and send it in a bit. Maybe we should also take a group photo at some point? It would be pretty sweet if we got those crowns and we could take a group photo with them :p

Teknoman

Finished uploading the trailer to IGN's FTP. Turns out thats what the message was about, they wanted to feature it.

Jaeyden

A friend of ours from B3d posted this for everyone.

eb said:
You're a LittleBigPlanet God man. Thanks to each and every one of your merry band, I hope you continue your efforts and never grow old of the "game of forever". I wish I had the time and understanding to achieve anything like what you do...it's the only downside...you make the rest of us look pants! lol

Hey Donkey Show, Jaeyden and I found a bug with our last run through Alien's Lair (you can get behind the gas at some point in the middle, I can show you where it happened if you need to see it). Also I was thinking it might be cooler if you either zoom out or pan right a tad during the boss fight to see the entirety of the heart boss that you made. It is such a cool looking heart but you can't see the whole thing with the current camera angle.

And guys if you aren't on Donkey Show's friends list send me a pic of yourself so I can forward it to him so he can put you into the credits sequence he's working on. Otherwise, send it to him! Also, Orz, check your PMs when you get a chance and get back to me!

We are all on the cool pages - how cool is that? Great job guys. Hopefully IGN does a Level Lovers Anonymous tomorrow featuring us :)

Finally GAF is back up. Well I got an email from Ben from IGN's videoteam earlier:

"Thanks for getting us the video. You’ll see it Video.ign.com tonight!

Best,

Ben"

So not sure if there is a Level-Lovers-Anonymous update today, but there hasn't been yet. But at any rate we are at least going to be featured in their video section.

Guys, 1up is going to be writing a feature on us! I forwarded the message to you all in your PM box, and as you will see I was asked to send him everyone's email addresses so please PM me your e-mail when you have a chance. As for Ryanardo and Ninja, I will try to contact them on PSN to get their emails (I already have Ryanardo's I think...I might have lost it).

Edit: Check out ps3.ign.com! We are under the videos section

Edit 2: I have everyone's emails now except for Jaeyden and donkey show.

gantz85

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Guys, 1up is going to be writing a feature on us! I forwarded the message to you all in your PM box, and as you will see I was asked to send him everyone's email addresses so please PM me your e-mail when you have a chance. As for Ryanardo and Ninja, I will try to contact them on PSN to get their emails (I already have Ryanardo's I think...I might have lost it).

I really recommend you guys get a proper direct-HD recording setup done to record a proper trailer for LittleBigContra. The game will come across THAT much better.. :D

gantz85 said:
I really recommend you guys get a proper direct-HD recording setup done to record a proper trailer for LittleBigContra. The game will come across THAT much better.. :D

As much as I agree with you that having direct-feed HD recording would be awesome (I actually intended to cut a very short, fast cutting trailer at some point - the vision has been in my head for a while) I think it's unrealistic at this point that I or anyone else will get their hands on the $200+ dollar equipment necessary to record, then edit a decent trailer by the time they do their feature. At some point I'll try to make some time to make a project out of it though since I love editing videos, and get my hands on some equipment.

gantz85

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
As much as I agree with you that having direct-feed HD recording would be awesome (I actually intended to cut a very short, fast cutting trailer at some point - the vision has been in my head for a while) I think it's unrealistic at this point that I or anyone else will get their hands on the $200+ dollar equipment necessary to record, then edit a decent trailer by the time they do their feature. At some point I'll try to make some time to make a project out of it though since I love editing videos, and get my hands on some equipment.

Why not try and get Blimblim to do something out of this? It would help bring traffic to his site and also help you guys promote your game. I think TTP has a HD recording setup.

Teknoman

gantz85 said:
Why not try and get Blimblim to do something out of this? It would help bring traffic to his site and also help you guys promote your game. I think TTP has a HD recording setup.

Blim and crew would probably be able to get that done. PM em I say.

2dbs0hv.jpg

EDIT: As long as they manage to keep the Bionic Commando Rearmed style transition at the beginning. I know it'll be completely different, but still.

Teknoman

Why are there so many comments on the youtube video in this fashion?

"How did you get a gun?"
"How do I play these levels?"

Did Sony do NO advertising for the MGS expansion pack? I think I even got those questions back with my Aerial Armory video.

EDIT: Guess the contra levels will advertise for the SF pack and MGS pack with all the paintinator and headband questions.

Someone PMed me on PSN mentioning a competition for a crown at littlebigland.com. My question is, is it too late to submit for the contest, and would it be possible for us all to count as one submission? I emailed the site but the contest ends on the 8th (I think) so that doesn't leave much time for voting if they don't reply promptly.

Edit: The submission process ended on the first. Doh

Top Bottom