• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lol the 4090 is the size of the orginal xbox or something

Banned
The Aorus master 4090 is so massive, it makes the 4090 founders (which is already the biggest GPU nvidia has made) look like a little child.
9ZIreFh.jpg
xcODgYr.jpg
F4YNmMS.jpg

at that point it might be just better to ship 4090s with a build in AIO and watercool that thing.

sendit

This.

I don't know if this makes sense for gaming and I've calmed my ass down on looking to get one, same with the 3090.

I think I'll be more then fine with 3070 or 3080 and will just look for them used or something. I just don't see what I'd need with a 4090 at such a wild price point. 1 card alone is the cost of a whole build lol
The point is an individual has a choice. The same reason why someone would choose to play the PS4/Series S version of a game over the PS5/Series X version. It is essentially the same game. In contrast, graphical clarity and performance can be deal breaker for others.

Given the limited choice with console gaming, this is the same reason why we have people praising 120, 60, and 40 FPS modes.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
what are the odds of cards going external? I think mac does external GPU's, is there any tech that would allow these to go external and maintain the power?

jaysius

Banned
This entire thing shows that the industry needs to rethink the design of GPUs if this is what "scaling up" is looking like in the future.

These pictures look like something you'd see in a Back to the Future 2020 computer.

Sophist

what are the odds of cards going external? I think mac does external GPU's, is there any tech that would allow these to go external and maintain the power?

Asus did that with their laptops. Was not good IIRC.

Kadve

Perfect for going with this classic. The scythe Susanoo.

scythe-susanoo.jpg
susanoo-installed-large.jpg

10121410-jpg.40729

Yes it was real. Released back in 2011 or something.

(also, anyone else getting PTSD flashbacks from seeing one of those old ATI blowers? My ears hurt just looking at a picture)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
eGPUs are a thing.
The cable becomes a bottleneck when gaming, but if you just need the GPU for productivity then an eGPU works fine.

maxresdefault.jpg

External-Graphics-Card-for-Laptops.webp

Azurro

Banned
i know these cards are huge but it doesn't really matter. they still fit in cases so whatever.

and it really goes to show how silly and weak both consoles are when the GPU itself is almost as big as an entire console lol. you still need your motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooler, SSD, PSU. PCs are absolute beasts. if you want the best quality and performance in your games then PC is the only choice. consoles look like cheap little toys in comparison.

There's the little issue that you can get a PS5, XSX, Switch and you still don't reach the price of this graphics card alone.

rofif

Banned
Perfect for going with this classic. The scythe Susanoo.

scythe-susanoo.jpg
susanoo-installed-large.jpg

10121410-jpg.40729

Yes it was real. Released back in 2011 or something.

(also, anyone else getting PTSD flashbacks from seeing one of those old ATI blowers? My ears hurt just looking at a picture)
I kinda miss blower cards but I understand why these are gone (good)

OZ9000

Banned
Nvidia demo on Cyberpunk 2077 showed that with DLSS activated, The 4090 give 3x more fps for less power consumption than a 3090TI.
People mocking this card all day long may actually end up eating their hat.

screenshot2022-10-06aukeyx.png
Why didn't they show latency figures for the 3000 series?

Surprised latency for DLSS off is higher.

RespawnX

Why didn't they show latency figures for the 3000 series?

Surprised latency for DLSS off is higher.

Doesn't anyone wonder why more than twice as many FPS doesn't halve the latency? DLSS 3 seems to add a lot of latency, which is only compensated by the high frame rate. If the image quality isn't at least on DLSS 2 level then it was the biggest hoax of the hardware year.`Maybe I misunderstood something or Nvidia redefines latency?

Sophist

Doesn't anyone wonder why more than twice as many FPS doesn't halve the latency? DLSS 3 seems to add a lot of latency, which is only compensated by the high frame rate. If the image quality isn't at least on DLSS 2 level then it was the biggest hoax of the hardware year.`Maybe I misunderstood something or Nvidia redefines latency?
Latency is the time between input and effect of the input being displayed on the monitor which is not only impacted by the GPU but also by the monitor, the cpu, the input device, and the game code. If you want realistic animations, you have to buffer the player's input for a few dozens of milliseconds to select the best animation for a specific combo of inputs.

60 fps is 16.6 ms per frame
170 fps is 5.88 ms per frame
a diff of 10.75 ms

latency at 60fps is 75.4ms
at 170 fps is 53.5 ms
a diff of 21.9 ms

Cyberpunk2077 is probably buffering two frames.

OZ9000

Banned
It's also an amazing room heater.

I'll would love it if I can get a 4090 performing card with a max TDP of 250W. Maybe RTX 5070? I can only dream lol.

Reallink

Though people are treating this as a joke meme, it's actually going to be a very real problem. Most of the AIB models won't even fit in like 90% of cases. Even many oversized full tower cases are going to have to cut/remove cages and such to barely squeeze them in, if they'll fit at all. A probable majority of people buying these will legitimately be forced to also buy specialty $200+ cases and likely $200 power supplies as well. I foresee retailers fielding an unusual number RMA's on these.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Though people are treating this as a joke meme, it's actually going to be a very real problem. Most of the AIB models won't even fit in like 90% of cases. Even many oversized full tower cases are going to have to cut/remove cages and such to barely squeeze them in, if they'll fit at all. A probable majority of people buying these will legitimately be forced to also buy specialty $200+ cases and likely $200 power supplies as well. I foresee retailers fielding an unusual number RMA's on these.
*IF* I were to buy one of these - to do it justice I'd have to essentially upgrade my entire rig (which, by today's standards - could be about time to be upgraded but still is respectable and performs great).

Heck - I'd want to wait until there are updated Power Supplies available that are designed to run these things..

Top Bottom