• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back, whats your final verdict of Resident Evil 6?

Every one who likes it always says it has so many mechanics like dodging, laying on your back, etc and that makes it interesting. The problem is the game isn’t designed around those mechanics at all. They’re just there for being there, and there aren’t any enemies or level designs that particularly require their use.

The game also barely gives you any ammo while also being even more action packed than 5, so to conserve it the best way to play is to use RT/R2 Melee spam (while conserving stamina) on standard enemies until they have a melee prompt to kill. Also most fast enemies (like those lizard things) are completely trivialized by equipping a sniper rifle and pressing both triggers to auto no-scope them. All the optimal ways to play it are boring as fuck. If it were a better designed game, all the new dodging and stuff would be required and the most effective strategies, but it’s poorly designed.

The limb staggering system in RE4/5 is way better and more fun than anything in 6, because the game is designed around it. 6 had no design focus. It was just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks without realizing that doing so just results in a shitty wall.

As far as I’m concerned the only good things to come out of 6 are the mercenaries and adult Sherry.
b7quiNX.jpg

Astral Dog

Its not an awful game neccessarily but very uneven ,and im glad they changed direction, RE6 is one of those examples that show ambition not always results in the best game possible, they wanted to appeal to as many people as they could, without having a coherent vision

It was a mess and peak 'we don't know what Resident Evil is supposed to be , but give us money'

Since then they made much stronger projects in the survival horror genre, starting with Revelations 2 when Capcom started to tone down the action to focus more on psychological horror and atmosphere

then REVII wich was a return to form , instead of rehashing RE4 or REmake they studied the original Resident Evil to see what made it so special back then and what they can change to modernize it, a new perspective, a brand new protagonist, a creepy isolated setting.thankfully it was a success so Capcom has been updating Resident Evil to be the best horror series,even when it still has tons of action

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I love it. Insanely versatile TPS controls, nice level of customization post-updates for a PS3 era title. Biggest gathering of series mains until Death Island. It had a very dark atmosphere visually, and China remains one of the most striking playable areas in Biohazard for me. Mercenaries was fun as fuck, there was skill customization, there was a pretty chunky bestiary for a title in this genre.

The music was also top fucking notch and I still get the main theme stuck in my head randomly. QTEs and big explosions didn't piss me off because it felt like all the returning characters earned their night on the big city fighting kaijuu moments.

Story was hot ass and The Family is such a dumb Patriot knockoff that I'm convinced they decided to shelve the idea forever right after pressing gold in a moment of post nut clarity.

Overall ranking? Basically every RE game in the main canon is better by a lot, but fuck if I don't love it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After my experience with RE5 (which I didn't enjoy at all) I decided to skip RE6 entirely and I'm glad I did.

It wasn't good overall but at least the actual gameplay was fun for a while. I still don't get why it's either/or though because I think RE7 is actually a much worse game. It being more Horror didn't automatically make me like it considering they stripped out so much in favor of a semi-on-rails "experience".

RE1 Remake is still the ultimate Resi game to me and RE7 and 8 just suck differently than RE6.

Danjin44

I'm kind of surprised. Feels loosely like Godhand or Vanquish mixed with RE4. Just super over the top. There are some really over the top Mercenaries videos I will have to pull up later for this thread.

AMsF.gif
But thats not what I want out of RE games.

Facism

Gooch in gaming form. Neither balls or ass, but the taint of someone who wipes back to front and doesn't know what a bidet is.

Fbh

It was decent.
Played it with the same person with whom I played Re5 (which we both liked) and we were a bit disappointed.

We didn't like how it went 100% into a crazy over the top action direction (way more than Re5) and in general it felt a bit like quantity over quality . IMO they could have done fewer campaigns, and locations and big action set piece moments but executed them better.

I liked it in principle, but actually playing it and getting through it became another thing entirely. I just felt bored by the fungus/thingy enemies and their repetitiveness and then it felt like the environments were too repetitive in the places that I just didn't like that I became so bored with it. But I will say that it's set pieces were great, and overall, the tonal shift from 5 to 6 was much more in line with my idea of the series, so I'm glad they went that route. But I def. would still prefer to play RE as a 3rd person game, I just don't like it as much as an fps. It's kinda why I skipped 8 altogether. I'll say I was worried which direction Capcom was going with the series with RE5, and that maybe I had outgrown it, but they've definitely revitalized my confidence with 7,8 and RE4's release and I am looking forward to what they'll do moving forward.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its alright. I don’t hate it like some. It has the most fun mercenaries mode, since there’s a little more interactivity than just abusing invincibility frames like RE5 mercenaries. Like you have to manage stamina and shit.

tkscz

An over bloated mess of a game. It tried to do way more than it needed to.

Let me start with the combat is fun, but the game is slog to get through.

Too many repeated moments, like Leon being stuck in a room/area until he defeats enough enemies to cause the game to allow him to move forward.

I still can't force myself to finish Chris' story because it's the most boring of them all. It tries to be too exciting at every moment and instead it becomes monotonous

And again, the combat system is good. The mercenaries mode was fun because of all you can do in terms of combat movement.

But the main game just over does it.

ungalo

Definitely an interesting game that i'll replay eventually.

It feels like a disjointed and completely chaotic version of RE4. Which in itself has some appeal.

It also feels like a game that tries too hard for sure. I can understand the hate. With time passing i'm definitely thinking about it more positively, especially because i'm not a fan of 7 and 8 (i understand the need for a reboot though).

Great, I love it, mercenaries is the best it ever was in 6, and if REm4ke wesker is any indication, the next mercenaries entries are moving back in that direction.
It's a gigantic game though, even having some cool new things like 4 player cross-over coop for certain chapters.
Helena is the best new character here but Sherry is great too, her being actually super powered means she'll be back in later entries, Helena hopefully too since she was the youngest at that time, even younger than Sherry, so with some of the characters aging out, it would be great to bring her back.

The Ada campaign is my favourite, but the Leon campaign has the best moments, driving around the city with the massive c-virus outbreak is cool as shit and the airplane level is just godlike.

The combat system is why mercenaries shined, however it did has some really annoying quirks that didn't show up until playing on harder difficulties, the stagger and fall backwards shit is bullshit and should be removed from the eventual remake.

emmerrei

Probably one of the worst game i've ever played in my life. From what i can remember, i really got disgusted from it, and forced myself to end the first campaign that i barely ended. That's probably the first game that i paid, and where i didn't seen the time to end it, but guess what, it never ends, it's an eternal torture. That's a decade ago, nowadays i don't even start full games that i buy.

Doom85

RE 5 is still great even if it should have had more horror elements, but RE 6 was below average.

Leon’s campaign is kind of fun until the final 2 chapters where it falls apart.
Sherry’s campaign has constant peaks and valleys, it was all over the place.
Chris’ campaign is just garbage.
Didn’t even bother with Ada’s campaign.

It doesn’t help that the gameplay does not feel as tight as 4 or even 5.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I played it for the first time this year and quit after 20 minutes. Maybe one day.

brian0057

Banned
Co-op with another person is a blast. Mostly because you're just making fun of the game.
Solo is one of the worst games ever made.

simpatico

Worth playing. Kinda wish Capcom would give the good parts their own game, but retcon the overall story because I want a true sequel to RE4. Very fun gameplay. Overall underrated game.

Elysium44

Banned
RE 5 is still great even if it should have had more horror elements, but RE 6 was below average.

Leon’s campaign is kind of fun until the final 2 chapters where it falls apart.
Sherry’s campaign has constant peaks and valleys, it was all over the place.
Chris’ campaign is just garbage.
Didn’t even bother with Ada’s campaign.

It doesn’t help that the gameplay does not feel as tight as 4 or even 5.

Ada's campaign is great, maybe the best. Maybe consider giving it another chance some time.

The critics of the game are right that it's a flawed gem, I think you get more out of it when you enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn't.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Terrible game that is mildly entertaining due to how bloated and dumb it is.

I still treasure it though cause it's an absolute playable trainwreck and that doesn't happen too often.

Danjin44

RE 5 is still great even if it should have had more horror elements
RE5 is good for people who enjoy co-op, solo player like me RE5 was not fun at all, especially when you had deal with Sheva’s crappy AI.

Doom85

RE5 is good for people who enjoy co-op, solo player like me RE5 was not fun at all, especially when you had deal with Sheva’s crappy AI.

I had a great time solo, granted it helped I wasn’t trying to overly challenge myself.

Played in easiest mode, then new Game Plus on normal difficulty with upgraded weapons, then by the time I went to highest difficulty Sheva and I were blasting fools with infinite rocket launchers and magnums.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Danjin44

I had a great time solo, granted it helped I wasn’t trying to overly challenge myself.

Played in easiest mode, then new Game Plus on normal difficulty with upgraded weapons, then by the time I went to highest difficulty Sheva and I were blasting fools with infinite rocket launchers and magnums.
That lasting I want to do in RE game, in all survival horror game I ever played I always go for hardest difficulty available, because that makes these type of games fun but in RE5 it was just terrible. I was fighting with Shava’s AI more than the actual enemies.

I was fighting with Shava’s AI more than the actual enemies.
Skill issue, the partner AI is better at the game than most real players, especially on higher difficulties. To this day I haven't finished RE5 on pro with the dozens of human partners I've tried it with; the AI and their aimbot laser perfect aim makes it a cakewalk.

Doom85

That lasting I want to do in RE game, in all survival horror game I ever played I always go for hardest difficulty available, because that makes these type of games fun but in RE5 it was just terrible. I was fighting with Shava’s AI more than the actual enemies.

RE 5 is not survival horror though, it’s action horror.

And honestly, I personally found the reports on Sheva’s AI to be somewhat exaggerated when I finally got to playing the game in the mid 2010’s. Like, it’s not great, but it’s not awful either.

Regardless, still best RE waifu.

wOjwmOo.gif

I actually replayed RE6 this year, and it was better than I remembered because this time I played it co-op with a friend. I remember it being an absolutely miserable experience in solo.

Danjin44

Skill issue, the partner AI is better at the game than most real players, especially on higher difficulties. To this day I haven't finished RE5 on pro with the dozens of human partners I've tried it with; the AI and their aimbot laser perfect aim makes it a cakewalk.
In my playthrough she just goes right in to crowd of enemies and makes hard for me to properly aim or use my grenades this happened too many fucking times.

In my playthrough she just goes right in to crowd of enemies and makes hard for me to properly aim or use my grenades this happened too many fucking times.
keep the AI on follow instead of attack, give it nothing but a rifle and smg, and watch it pop heads and set up melee stuns constantly.

Danjin44

keep the AI on follow instead of attack, give it nothing but a rifle and smg, and watch it pop heads and set up melee stuns constantly.
Did how many time I heard Chris said “follow”, she answers but she doesn’t fucking follow it and don’t get me started with trying to organize her inventory.

What I wanted with RE game is proper solo experience but RE5 is made with co-op in mind.….I just wasn’t for someone like me.

kunonabi

The Jake and Sherry campaign was fantastic and there were some cool online/ coop mechanics but the rest of the game was terrible. The core combat was excellent but the game was not built around it and they did a really poor job of teaching you the mechanics and incentivising their use. You can play the game as a bog standard cover shooter and do just fine.

Still better than 5, 7, 8, and 3 remake though.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Far and away the worst RE game. Zero focus. Massive bloat. Awkward, unresponsive controls. Poor feedback when you shoot enemies. Some of the most unintentionally goofy monster designs in gaming. After loving 4 and liking 5, this game almost put me off of the series for good.

Shakka43

It wasn't a good RE game by any means but I had fun with it. The four campaigns intersecting with each other was pretty cool and the co-op was nice.
The gameplay was a weak point for me though, they added so much shit to the combat but it all felt clumsy due to level design and enemies that weren't too adapted for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom