• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen: Early Impressions

yatesl

I've got this for £18.99 from CDKeys - same price I paid for Dark Souls 2.

If it's half as good as DS1, I'll be content.

Kensuke

No way, man, the game's very linear, it just pretends it isn't. Every time I wanted to go somewhere else, the doors were either locked, "locked from the other side" or "locked with some strange magic" (literally what the game said).

The sequence-break you mentioned is pretty much the only sequence-break in the game (and the one that I did; I did the entirety of the catacombs before going to the demon world, so imagine my chagrin when I realized I had to do the catacombs AGAIN to get to the Citadel) and got that powerful weapon which made everything super easy. The funny thing is, the game even tells you that you can sequence-break that bit just before doing the graveyard boss, so, ehr, yeah, not impressed.

It's not only about the sequence break though. You can explore quite a bit and there are a few different routes to get to places. You can get to the Graveyard boss from different directions for example. You can also evade one of the bosses by taking a different route if you feel like you need some more leveling (I didn't).

It does give you a few options, so I'd definitely call it relatively non-lineair.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
..the level design is a confusing mess. The areas in Dark Souls were beautifully designed and huge, and somehow managed to be connected in such a genius way that traversing these areas was still fairly easy to remember and fun to do. In Lords of the Fallen the areas are actually really small, but they're overly messy, repetitive, and interconnected in so many, convoluted ways that you constantly feel trapped and lost. Like you're in some kind of sadistic maze...

This is what I didn't like from watching the reveal/gameplay videos, the world felt like it was trying to trap the main character from all angles.

Maffis

day 1 patch, im hoping, will fix the technical problems. kinda sad people are playing through it earlier than planned, but not much you can do.

i'm just hoping the gameplay is good, and to all the impressions so far, it seems to be. sad to hear about the enemy variety and the locations are similar, but this is a small studio and pretty much their biggest try at a new game they've ever done. if it sells well i'm sure their studio will expand.

this game unlocks late on steam right? no chance that steam will do a Shadow of Mordor and release it earlier for everybody? Sucks that I have to wait until the evening otherwise :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
why would you do eight hours of side quests if the game were a "Shitfest"?

To see how much content the title actually has, which gives his opinion a lot more weight behind someone who just ran straight through the story instead.

codhand

To see how much content the title actually has, which gives his opinion a lot more weight behind someone who just ran straight through the story instead.

yeah, i agree, his opinion seems well researched, just not sure i'd personally play eight hours of something i wasn't enjoying, if he's being compensated obviously that's different.

So has anyone got to or tried new game + yet? I want to know if it becomes harder or not, all I have heard about it in a video is you can use + and ++ to unlock the magic groups you skipped the first and second time through.

addyb

Yeah some have but I've been watching streams from people who have the full game. Only watched sporadically so not to spoil myself. Mines just been shipped. Hopefully get to play it myself tomorrow now :)

Note that the positive reactions come from previewers who have played only the first area of the game, up the second boss.

This is why I don't pre-order games anymore. Previews don't take into account the game morphing into dog doodie half-way through. Thanks for the impressions! I might be saving some money if all the reviews are as negative as yours.

3b2JqQk.gif

drotahorror

Then again, maybe it was just a 360 problem. I played it on the PS3 and those issues only occasionally popped up, and XBL was generally better in most games.

It was a 360 problem. I would private chat with a friend and we both had the same issues, different parts of the USA. You were extremely lucky to get an invade or summon at launch of the game. He also had the ps3 version and had no problems on it.

Note that the positive reactions come from previewers who have played only the first area of the game, up the second boss.

Honestly, I'm having a good time and I'm about 7 bosses deep. I get that you really, really don't like this game but I'm having a good time, not OMFG amazing but good. So I wouldn't say all positive reactions are early. :)

HowZatOZ

Banned
Trying to figure out what time the OT can go live, but I might just do it now. Does it have to be at midnight? Nearly midnight here in Australia and Steam is unlocking then soooo...

man sucks about screen tearing on ps4

do we have any news on xbox one version? if the 900p is without tearing I'll pick up that version instead (have ps4 version preordered)

Maffis

I'm a reviewer.

ive seen alot of people streaming that says they are only allowed to stream up to the first 4 bosses. i guess its different for some, but this one dude yesterday said the game was great so far. i dunno, there has been so many mixed impressions so far, but most of them has been very positive. especially from the "souls veterans" themselves.

ive seen alot of people streaming that says they are only allowed to stream up to the first 4 bosses. i guess its different for some, but this one dude yesterday said the game was great so far. i dunno, there has been so many mixed impressions so far, but most of them has been very positive. especially from the "souls veterans" themselves.

Yeah. Was only allowed to show up to boss 4. Though I feels like that was a long time ago for me at this point. I feel that this game is best played with patience. Much like Dark Souls. If I try to rush an area, etc I get sloppy, I get killed more, and I get frustrated. Starting the game over after 8 hours for my stream was great cause I was now used to the games mechanics, and also found stuff I missed the first time. Also been playing xbox one. There is tearing and framerate issues. Though I don't think they are throughout. Seems they only pop up in some areas, etc.

nbthedude

Have a friend with a big site whose review is still embargoed but he said I should definitely check this game out. That seems like a positive sign to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have managed to kill every boss within two tries. That should tell you enough.
What class were you playing, if I may ask? People were saying (I have no idea if rightly or wrongly) that warrior = easy, cleric = normal and rogue = hard, or something...?

It's really not very good. There aren't that many different kind of enemies and they're all pretty straightforward. The bosses aren't hard either, especially if you've managed to collect enough bottles throughout your journey. Everything else is just a simpler, shittier version of what we could find in the Souls games, from the "crafting" (you put a rune in a weapon and now it does more damage. Yay) to magic to the character building. The story is horribly written and nothing special, the sidequests are really dumb, the NPCs don't really matter to the story or do anything helpful, and the level design is a confusing mess. The areas in Dark Souls were beautifully designed and huge, and somehow managed to be connected in such a genius way that traversing these areas was still fairly easy to remember and fun to do. In Lords of the Fallen the areas are actually really small, but they're overly messy, repetitive, and interconnected in so many, convoluted ways that you constantly feel trapped and lost. Like you're in some kind of sadistic maze. The loading screens don't help either.
That's very disappointing to hear. Especially for the story and NPCs. They forced this lame protagonist on us instead of giving us a character creator in the name of the "story", and it's not even good? Urgh.

And don't get me started on the technical problems. Text that pops up in the wrong places, enemies that suddenly die or regain health or simply vanish mid-fight, clipping problems, quest items that fail to appear only to appear after you've reloaded the game, etc.
Hopefully those will be fixed with the day 1 patch. Anything about the framerate? What someone else said was really alarming. 15-20 FPS? o_O

Ouch. :/

Not much, actually.
i managed to kill half of Dark Souls bosses at the first try, so that doesn't sound exceedingly outrageous to me.
But there were some bosses that gave you a hard time, right? Capra, S&O, Smelter, Sentinels, the Chariot, Darklurker, Ancient Dragon, the DLC bosses (both games)?

What class were you playing, if I may ask? People were saying (I have no idea if rightly or wrongly) that warrior = easy, cleric = normal and rogue = hard, or something...?

Honestly that sounds about right. The classes just lump your points into other areas of your abilities. Otherwise every class can use any weapons or armor they receive.

That's very disappointing to hear. Especially for the story and NPCs. They forced this lame protagonist on us instead of giving us a character creator in the name of the "story", and it's not even good? Urgh.

Story isn't amazing but it's there and the game sorta guides you. A bit more in depth then Dark Souls. I think most will be satisfied with what is there seeing as the Souls series is pretty much cryptic as shit when it comes to the story.

Hopefully those will be fixed with the day 1 patch. Anything about the framerate? What someone else said was really alarming. 15-20 FPS? o_O

The issues with text appearing, dissapearing enemies, quest items, etc. Didn't happen to me in all my time with the Xbox One version. Only thing is the framerate and tearing moments. Also clipping of some stuff on the character, etc.

Listonosh

Here's the thing about people not liking the fact that it's a dark souls clone. I actually welcome that. Main reason? I want more Souls-like games. We have tons of FPS, tons of action games, tons of stealth games. But we don't really have many Souls-like games, unless you count Monster Hunter in that category. I welcome another developer taking a stab at it outside of FROM. Then again, I'll reserve my judgment until I actually play it tomorrow, but I am pumped for it.

Same here. I have seen enough to know that I will have fun with the gameplay and gearing up.

I always appreciate when people actually watch gameplay, ask themselves if it looks fun to them, and use their own thoughts to play a game before judging it. Whenever you see postive posts on a game, versus the negative. The negative seem to really sway people which is weird cause you know opinions and stuff.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
The story is no way more in-depth than in Dark Souls, it just gets shoved in your face all the time.

The script is laughable, really. "What are you doing here!?" "I'm here to kill a Lord." "Good luck with that!", etc.

This game has stuff like a female character that desperately needs stone slabs to translate an ancient text that is the key to her survival, but when you want to give her all those slabs later on, she forgets all about them and you don't even get the option to give them or throw them away. Then there was this sidequest that had me collect a bunch of human tattoos, and I completed them before even finding them all even though the character specifically told me to find them all. So, so bad.

I played as a warrior, by the way. I'm not keen on magic, and I play my Dark Souls builds as Strength or Dex.

The framerate wasn't exactly smooth, but I'm not someone who gets too fuzzed about these sort of things, anyway. Mechanics and level design are way more important to me.

Look, I WANTED to love this. This game has been on my radar since Gamescom 2013. I've met the devs twice, I raved over the demo builds they let me play, etc. But the full game infuriated me, simple as. I can't lie to my readers.

The story is no way more in-depth than in Dark Souls, it just gets shoved in your face all the time.

The script is laughable, really. "What are you doing here!?" "I'm here to kill a Lord." "Good luck with that!", etc.

This game has stuff like a female character that desperately needs stone slabs to translate an ancient text that is the key to her survival, but when you want to give her all those slabs later on, she forgets all about them and you don't even get the option to give them or throw them away. Then there was this sidequest that had me collect a bunch of human tattoos, and I completed them before even finding them all even though the character specifically told me to find them all. So, so bad.

I played as a warrior, by the way. I'm not keen on magic, and I play my Dark Souls builds as Strength or Dex.

The framerate wasn't exactly smooth, but I'm not someone who gets too fuzzed about these sort of things, anyway. Mechanics and level design are way more important to me.

Look, I WANTED to love this. This game has been on my radar since Gamescom 2013. I've met the devs twice, I raved over the demo builds they let me play, etc. But the full game infuriated me, simple as. I can't lie to my readers.

Oh well......one less game I feel compelled to buy.

nbthedude

I'm sure your motives are pure and different games click differently for different people. I don't think our tastes are similar though. You liked Lords of Shadows 2 more than Lords of Shadows 1 and I thought the second game was utter garbage though I loved the first.

I'm excited to play the game but some things I noticed from streams which I wish really were a lot better:

NPC's just stand around like they are stuck to the ground, no one really moves. Some of them ask you to find someone hoping their ok, two corners away there's dead bodies and a monster... it's like no one can bother looking themselves.

two NPC's were talking to each other, you walk away and they suddenly stop talking, walking back to them repeats the lines from the beginning and it sounds really unnatural.

You can't seem to kill anyone but enemies, would have been nice to kill a knight and start a riot or fight to mix things up, too much work and story I guess.

You can refill potion bottles way too often and easily.

Maffis

Well, the story approach in the game is supposed to be hand-fed. Some people will like it and some don't. It's hardly the main appeal of the game. Not sure what to say about the side-quest, maybe it was optional to find all of them or you missed the timeframe to do it? Sure they could've worded it better. Not sure if the 5gb patch is fixing that.

But warrior is the easiest way to play the game. People go into this thinking it's gonna be Souls-like difficulty. Not ever have they said that. They've said the game will be challenging, but definitely not as hard as Souls. And that is by design. But it's obvious you didn't like it very much, but 5/10 is like the worst game ever made with todays review scores, and I have such a hard time believing that from all the streamer-impressions. Have you tried the NG+ or going as Rogue? How is the difficulty then?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm sure your motives are pure and different games click differently for different people. I don't think our tastes are similar though. You liked Lords of Shadows 2 more than Lords of Shadows 1 and I thought the second game was utter garbage though I loved the first.

Yea looking at his post history... I'm gonna wait for more impressions.

pushBAK

Yes, Dark Souls was too difficult for me but I really enjoyed the 30 hours I put into it.

If this is any where near as good as Dark Souls but easier I'd buy it straight away

Same here. While I enjoyed the 30-40 hours I put into DS1, the constant 'gotchas' are what made me put the controller down.

It sounds like this game tones it down quite a bit.

I appreciate these impressions and am approaching this game with caution. It seems like something I would like based on articles and videos I've seen, but I can wait a few days for more impressions/reviews. I hope the technical issues are isolated and fixed with the day 1 patch.

From my perspective, the Souls games are good, but there's room for similar games.

Taij

This is a game that not everyone is going to enjoy, but for the people that do enjoy it I think it does a good job of scratching that itch. I have been playing the PS4 version and find that I do enjoy it a decent amount. I don't care for the story, there are a lot of little issues that bother me, but the standard gameplay (movement, combat and rpg elements) are what I really care about and while nothing is revolutionary it's a fun enough game to get me to sit down and play.

As for the screen tearing, without the day 1 patch it's ridiculously bad, like seriously don't play the PS4 version without that patch. With the patch it's still there and I notice it but not in every area so I find that it doesn't kill the game for me (but it will probably drive people who are sensitive to this stuff crazy.) There is another patch in the works that further addresses the tearing but I wouldn't bet on it being 100% gone.

Top Bottom