• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen | PC Performance Thread

knitoe

would be funny if it was post processing that was causing the crashes

I just want to play it :(

That's a possibility. In the ini file in My Documents > Lord Of The Fallen, if I tried setting the Post Processing to Low. It will crash the game. From what I tried, Off, Medium and VeryHigh worked. So, try going into the ini file and change it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's a possibility. In the ini file in My Documents > Lord Of The Fallen, if I tried setting the Post Processing to Low. It will crash the game. From what I tried, Off, Medium and VeryHigh worked. So, try going into the ini file and change it.

I thought you could change it in the options?

knitoe

I thought you could change it in the options?

In the graphic option, it's only enable or disable. In the ini file, it offers off, low, medium, high and veryhigh.
Does the Post Processing affect anything else? I thought it was for the "AA" - which isn't really present...maybe there's FXAA.
Yes. Right away, I notice smoke / fog affect gone after disabling Post Processing. Probably, other stuff too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone tried this "assign physx to cpu" stuff, I hear some ppl saying that it fixed the crashes for them on SLIed 980s and shit

Seanspeed

Banned
Posted this on a friends' status on Steam, considering the issues with The Evil Within port. But I think it bears repeating, because we seem to think we should get these amazing smooth running ports that run better/smoother/higher-res than their console counterparts. Really, in the end these days it's up to modders and patch fixes to really make these games show the potential of the PC platform, but NEVER expect that circa 2014 from any developer/pub, including Witcher 3 dev's. Some may not like to hear that after spending so much cash on their PC's or whatever, I've probably spent more than most of GAF combined (21 high-end rigs now, plus a shit ton of spare parts), I'm practically the JaseC of Newegg here. xD But the truth is the truth.

Look at it this way as it relates to these PC multiplats, which sadly are almost ALL AAA games, they encompass 99% of the AAA budget, exclusives to Xbone/WiiU/PS4 aside. For the past I don't know how many years I've watched PC gamers whining and pouting that during specifically the GC/PS2/Xbox gen they got a very small minority of the best games, and when they did the laziest kinds of ports, far worse than anything recent I might add.

But since the 360/PS3/Wii gen until now the almost constant outcry from PC gamers started to pay off, we started getting those games, maybe later, but of better quality than the past. Due mostly to the fact it sells, which is the basis all the Master Race Elitists would soapbox as the REASON to bring it to PC, plus more advantages. Well, now we're getting them. But what we lost in the process was our own PC "exclusives" Crysis and Witcher 2 were arguably the last true PC games. We're now in the full swing of a amalgamation of side by side co-dev for all platforms. And we seem to expect, or feel entitled to what comes to PC be "superior" to meet the subjective standards of "PC gamers".

So instead of using that historical logic and financial reality as a basis for our expectations and apply Occam's razor to expect at least "parity with the consoles", we somehow make the mistake of thinking we've been lied to or scammed somehow. As if a company trying to sell three versions simultaneously and successfully would actually go out of their way to make the smallest market the best product, hate to tell you folks but that's not economically intelligent or financially feasible to assume or suggest. And where all three versions can be considered somewhat equal, you end up with more potential sells on whatever platform X/Y owns. That simple, don't expect it to change. All we can really do is ask for better optimization, NOT superior versions.
That entire rant yet all the next gen multiplatforms so far *have* run better on PC. The games people consider to be 'bad PC ports' invariably run crappy on the console, too.

This game is another example that seems to have respectable performance in comparison to consoles. I've seen other people saying similar things to you but it seems like a complete overreaction to me.

Lanrutcon

The Evil Within had tech issues on each and every platform it was released on. Seriously: it struggles on the PS4 even with the black borders cutting down the amount of rendered space. The PC isn't alone in that struggle.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Changing the settings.ini in C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Lords of the Fallen has done wonders for me. This is what I have at the moment on an i7 3770k/770 4GB/8GB DDR3:

Code:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Fledge Settings file
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// flag indicating whether spoken will be displayed
subtitles_enabled = false
// flag indicating whether in game text is enabled
display_ingame_text = true
// flag indicating whether in game combat text is enabled
display_ingame_text_combat = true
// flag indicating whether in game quest text is enabled
display_ingame_text_quest = true
// flag indicating whether enemy health bars must be shown
display_enemy_health_bars = true
// whether save games will be using time stamps
savegame_timestamp_enabled = false
// general detail level for the game
general_detail_level = Custom
// vertical look inverted flag
vertical_look_inverted = false
// control scheme (currently supported values: Default, Option1)
control_scheme = Option1
// will the game feature 'finishing sequences'?
finishing_sequences_enabled = true
// will the camera try to avoid collision by adjusting its own rotation?
camera_rotation_adjust_enabled = false
// will hud elements be auto-scaled for resolutions other than 1080p?
auto_scale_hud_enabled = true
// the rotational speed of the camera
controller_sensitivity = 2.000
// whether the quest text should be always displayed
display_quest_text = true
// whether the current enemy should be locked automatically 
auto_lock_on_enemies = false
// master volume
master_volume = 1.000
// music volume
music_volume = 1
// effect volume
effect_volume = 1
// speech volume
speech_volume = 1.000
// the size of the windowed render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_windowed = 1920x1080
// the size of the fullscreen render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_fullscreen = 1920x1080
// the window mode (Fullscreen, Windowed, WindowedBorderless)
window_mode = WindowedBorderless
// game mode name
game_mode = Default
// vsync flag (true/false)
vsync = true
// postprocessing quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_postprocessing = Off
// texture quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_textures = VeryHigh
// shadow quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_shadows = Off
// geometry quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_geometry = VeryHigh
// volumetric lighting quality
quality_volumetric_lighting (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh) = High
// anisotropic filtering quality
quality_anisotropic_filtering (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh) = Medium
// flag controlling rumble enabled (true/false)
rumble_enabled = true
// the gamma correction value
gamma_correction_value = 1.000
// defines the screen space LOD factor
screen_space_lod_factor = 1.000
// defines the distance LOD factor
distance_lod_factor = 1.000
// defines if APEX should utilize GPU support (e.g. for APEX Turbulence) if available (true/false)
apex_gpu_support_enabled = true
// defines the size of the physx timestep to use (a variable timestep will be used if the value is <= 0)
physx_fixed_timestep_size = 0.016
// enables lighting of dynamic objects via light probes
enable_lightprobe_lighting = true
// enables enlighten threads
enable_enlighten = true
// defines the interval at which the radiosity update scheduler gets updated
enlighten_radiosity_update_interval = 0.000
// enables the occlusion culling thread
enable_occlusion_culling = true
Works wonders now. Note I did take shadows off as I've never been a big fan of them in games, and turned post processing off as well. Also, ignore what the in-game graphic options menu says, seems to be a bug that it reports the wrong changes.

anyone tried this "assign physx to cpu" stuff, I hear some ppl saying that it fixed the crashes for them on SLIed 980s and shit

I have Titans SLi and I changed my Physx to Cpu and got like 15fps gains. I've also tried using the sleeping dogs flag, instead of the official one and it seems to work better.

In the graphic option, it's only enable or disable. In the ini file, it offers off, low, medium, high and veryhigh.

Yes. Right away, I notice smoke / fog affect gone after disabling Post Processing. Probably, other stuff too.

Damn, this was what I was afraid of. I don't want to lose pretty stuff, but having having the PP off, the game looks so much sharper and better.

Rhaknar

I have Titans SLi and I changed my Physx to Cpu and got like 15fps gains. I've also tried using the sleeping dogs flag, instead of the official one and it seems to work better.

I'm more worried about crashes, I was already getting steady 60 at 1080p

I'm more worried about crashes, I was already getting steady 60 at 1080p

Yeah, I haven't gone past the Warden yet, but no crashes so far. Well I play at 5760x1080 using Nvidia surround, so sometimes every frame counts :p But for the most part I get 50-60fps at that res, so I'm happy.

Coonce

WHAT THE FUCK AM I LOOKING AT

3d7co48.jpg

AND WITH WHAT?

3d10zrok.jpg

Seriously, I want to know who sits in on a meeting for this game sees that and says "yep, looks fuckin great! Good job!"

is this where I put on my 3D glasses?

Tak3n

Banned
so was constantly crashing on the commander boss, was about to give up, launched GeForce experience and let Nvidia optimise the game...

then the weirdest thing, it wont let me launch the game from within Geforce Experience it just crashes with a error message that 3.44 WHL has stopped working and recovered, but when I launch through steam I have not had a crash now for 45 mins

no idea what is going on

AndyBNV

Nvidia
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/lords-of-the-fallen-physx

Turn the PhysX perhaps to CPU in NVCP and turn of the GPU PhysX setting in game (or Ini).

If you want more performance / dislike the aesthetik of the the Apex Turbulence fields in comparison to the in-engine custoim GPU particle physics.

Manual workaround:

Code:
// defines if APEX should utilize GPU support (e.g. for APEX Turbulence) if available (true/false)
apex_gpu_support_enabled = [B]false[/B]

Leave PhysX on GPU in NVCPL, and change that code in the MyDocs config file.

Rhaknar

Yeah, I haven't gone past the Warden yet, but no crashes so far. Well I play at 5760x1080 using Nvidia surround, so sometimes every frame counts :p But for the most part I get 50-60fps at that res, so I'm happy.

YO! this worked dude! at least for the 15mins or so I tried, from the
3 mobs outside after the first boss, doing the switches, talking to the monk there at the door, then backtracking to go try out that crystal that opened after you kill the boss, doing that, then backtracking again to where I was
, no crash and the game ran beautifully, even smoother than before! didnt even turn post processing off, all I did was change physx to cpu on the nvidia control panel, game is still maxed out at 1080p

might not be the best solution (since you are changing physx to cpu for all games, not just this) but for now ill fucking take it!

Phinor

Kind of wish someone not as lazy as me would go through the settings and drivers and all that stuff to figure out if something specific is causing the crashing.

For my part, I've 3570k@4.5GHz, 8GB DDR3, Windows 8.1 and a GTX 970 and I tried playing it with everything at max @ 1080p, borderless fullscreen with the latest LotF optimized Nvidia drivers, 344.48 and I experience frequent crashes. Anyone without any crashes have older drivers? Anyone with these new drivers NOT experiencing crashes?

edit: I'll try changing PhysX to CPU and update this as soon as it crashes, or doesn't.

edit2: 1 hour and 30 minutes later, zero crashes after changing PhysX to CPU. Not the first game on Nvidia that keeps crashing with PhysX on GPU, and won't be the last. This is really something they should look into, it's been a problem for at least six years, Mirror's Edge being the first game I remember having huge issues with PhysX.

I found that I stopped crashing when I closed Firefox and all my other programs and just ran Lords alone. Borderless fullscreen also if that helps. Edit: I take that back game just crashed after I got a rare item. Whoever's decision it was to go for save points rather than autosave like Soul's, thank you very much you are clearly a genius beyond all compare.

KKRT00

So game runs in 26-30fps on Radeon 7850 with Physx particles? Or they disabled by default on AMD cards like in the past?

cheezcake

I was really enjoying the game and haven't experienced a single crash, but then I got to the new area and framerate drops to ~15 from 60 when looking at certain areas.

There's also a bug where it doesn't save your graphics settings once you quit the game.

Zomba13

Still getting crashes even after running the DXSETUP.exe in the Lords of the Fallen folder and when only running steam and the game. Not tried the Phyx to CPU thing yet because I read that doing that disables Physx effects. Will give it a go though.

cheezcake

Turning off post processing seems to disable CA.
I'm playing on medium-ish settings, also I can't take anisotropic filtering any higher than 4x because it needs a reset to take effect but it forgets the setting when I quit =/

Zomba13

I'm playing on medium-ish settings, also I can't take anisotropic filtering any higher than 4x because it needs a reset to take effect but it forgets the setting when I quit =/

I want to turn off the CA so bad but don't know what other effects the Post-processing does.

Works wonders now. Note I did take shadows off as I've never been a big fan of them in games, and turned post processing off as well. Also, ignore what the in-game graphic options menu says, seems to be a bug that it reports the wrong changes.

What...Shadows off and PP off? Something else? Be serious, without those options it looks like a game of five years ago.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Also disables anti-aliasing (fixable by forcing NVIDIA FXAA via Control Panel), the Volumetric Lighting setting, color correction, and tons of other post process stuff.

Toreal

After changing the physx to my cpu in the nvidia control panel, I haven't had a crash in a few hours now, and my fps is more stable as well

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, if I put everything on medium or low (1080p resolution though), can I play it at 60fps without drops?

i5 2.67 GHz
8GB RAM
560 GTX ti

Corpekata

Banned
Guys, if I put everything on medium or low (1080p resolution though), can I play it at 60fps without drops?

i5 2.67 GHz
8GB RAM
560 GTX ti

Doubtful. Some areas are FPS killers on high end gear just generally.

It'd probably be playable overall, but not 60 FPS locked.

cheezcake

i5 2.67 GHz
8GB RAM
560 GTX ti

Maybe after a couple patches. There's some extreme framerate drops and stutter with this game at the moment.

Zomba13

Still getting crashes even if I set PhysX to CPU. This sucks.

Lol at this quote frome the PC gamer review:
Lords of the Fallen is a decent action RPG. LordsOfTheFallen.exe, on the other hand, has stopped working. Lords of the Fallen has interesting, fun combat, and when that giant multi-stage boss only needs one more hit to kill, LordsOfTheFallen.exe has stopped working. LordsOfTheFallen.exe is a vile, cruel bastard, worse than any boss in Lords of the Fallen.

You're not a fan of shadows? Thats a first for me! lol

Does disablng post processing get rid of the CA?

It gets rid of ALL post processing. Light rays, bloom, chromatic aberration, and probably more.

EDIT: Beaten
Also disables anti-aliasing (fixable by forcing NVIDIA FXAA via Control Panel), the Volumetric Lighting setting, color correction, and tons of other post process stuff.

The chromatic aberration in this game is nauseating though. I'm not sure I've ever seen it this bad.

AllenShrz

This game is a bugged mess.

Windows warns me frequently of low memory, yet I have 16GB and 3 for video with the 7970 and Im playing only with high textures and on task manager shows that it doesn't even scratch 3GB. Medium textures look like ass.

It crashes
Sometimes no sound (Sound Blaster Z card)
Jumps from 30 to 60 all the time (No setting to luck up the FPS)
It looks out of focus and with chromatic aberrations all the time

Fuck this piece of shit software, DON'T BUY THIS GAME ON PC.

Really, another game that I was looking forward to is a technical mess... great.

Also, I will never understand the use of CA. Just fucking hideous, who the hell decides to put this in a game.

Top Bottom